What's new

Saudi broadcaster MBC takes all of its Turkish TV programmes off the air

Mr Hayek says the decision could result in some positives for the regional television industry.

“It could be an opportunity for all of us to produce premium Arabic dramas with more quality,” he said.

But the Turkish shows ARE the reason for the increased quality. Competition develops quality, if you remove Turkish shows than why do Arabic shows have to upgrade their quality? Lack of competition creates lack of quality.

Homosexuality and doesn't represent or stand for Muslim values.

:tdown:

Stop touting European imported Homophobia. There have been many gay/bi-sexual Caliphs.

I heard Turkish dramas are a bit westernized. No surprising it is not well received in the Arab World.

Who cares if they're a little bit "westernized"?

Just translate into kiswahili language.Turkish dramas are hit in Africa.

Military related film and series are popular in those days in Turkey. I think Arabian families will like them as similar to Turkish dramas as well.

Börü

Bölük

Pusu

Milat

Bordo Bereliler

Dağ2

Military related film and series are popular in those days in Turkey. I think Arabian families will like them as similar to Turkish dramas as well.

Börü

Bölük

Pusu

Milat

Bordo Bereliler

Dağ2

family_guy_group_vomit.gif

All those useless soap operas are a complete waste of time. Especially if they are trying to distort historical facts.
Whether native, fellow Arab ones, Turkish or other ones. I have not watched a single episode (from start to finish) in my life yet. However native and fellow Arab ones are always to be preferred if the sheep insist on watching this waste of time.

KSA opening up operas, boosting the indigenous cinema industry, reestablishing cinemas and other artistic endeavors is to be preferred and the right step.

However to keep our leading position in the Arab world and region, I would rather continue to invest a lot of money in education, science and industries which is ongoing at an very promising rate. By 2030 (Saudi Arabia Vision) we will see the fruits of those wise investments as we are already seeing them in terms of university rankings, scientific and educational output, educational standards of the population (youth in particular) etc.

BTW only some Arab teenage women or old lonely Arab women watch this drivel. Similar to how they watch our own native or other Arab soap dramas.

Banning it all completely would be a good thing. Force those people to do something constructive instead.

BTW as long as we Arabs have control of all major sports and news channels and broadcasters in the region, it's all good.

All those useless soap operas are a complete waste of time. Especially if they are trying to distort historical facts.
Whether native, fellow Arab ones, Turkish or other ones. I have not watched a single episode (from start to finish) in my life yet. However native and fellow Arab ones are always to be preferred if the sheep insist on watching this waste of time.

KSA opening up operas, boosting the indigenous cinema industry, reestablishing cinemas and other artistic endeavors is to be preferred and the right step.

However to keep our leading position in the Arab world and region, I would rather continue to invest a lot of money in education, science and industries which is ongoing at an very promising rate. By 2030 (Saudi Arabia Vision) we will see the fruits of those wise investments as we are already seeing them in terms of university rankings, scientific and educational output, educational standards of the population (youth in particular) etc.

BTW only some Arab teenage women or old lonely Arab women watch this drivel. Similar to how they watch our own native or other Arab soap dramas.

Banning it all completely would be a good thing. Force those people to do something constructive instead.

BTW as long as we Arabs have control of all major sports and news channels and broadcasters in the region, it's all good.
It's surprising how silly people have become they try to copy these turkish garbage dramas in their real life

It's surprising how silly people have become they try to copy these turkish garbage dramas in their real life

It's a joke. Those dramas have nothing to do with most of Turkish society today in 2018 let alone those historical dramas (not watched them) from Ottoman times!:lol: They are trying to create a fake and distorted reality.

Just like the Lebanese and Egyptian trash. Just an illusion. With all due respect, traditional Iraqi and Saudi Arabian dramas and especially comedies are much more authentic. At least they are realistic and authentic.

There is nothing to admire in those modern-day trash soap operas. Not a single thing. Even most of the actors are plastic dolls with incredibly low self-esteem. Even from an non-religious view-point, they add nothing valuable.

Youth copying such nonsense is fatal. Goes for Western garbage too. Use that time to watch something useful instead. Scientific, historical etc. programs and documentaries instead.

Go collect trash outside or whatever. Help some old women safely across the street. Donate money and time to those in need. Plant some trees. It's all 1 million times more useful.

Last edited:
I generally don't watch television series, but I think they are a useful socio-cultural instrument. Instead of a reliance on foreign productions, Arab media needs to develop content that is both entertaining and educational, thus serving a broader and wholesome agenda.

For example, I've seen some high quality Islamic productions in recent years, such as the Umar series (MBC) and some recent content on Harun ar-Rashid and Ahmad bin Hanbal.

Things like that, of a historical or religious nature, serve a purpose and should be invested in. You want to nurture a generation in tune with its identity, and which is entertained at the same time as to push off foreign content.

Turks have done quite well for themselves in that regard (despite much of it being fictional); Arabs should too.

It's a joke. Those dramas have nothing to do with most of Turkish society today in 2018 let alone those historical dramas (not watched them) from Ottoman times!:lol:

Just like the Lebanese and Egyptian trash. Just an illusion. With all due respect, traditional Iraqi and Saudi Arabian dramas and especially comedies are much more authentic. At least they are realistic and authentic.

There is nothing to admire in those modern-day trash soap operas. Not a single thing. Even most of the actors are plastic dolls with incredibly low self-esteem. Even from an non-religious view-point, they add nothing valuable.

Youth copying such nonsense is fatal. Goes for Western garbage too. Use that time to watch something useful instead. Scientific, historical etc. programs and documentaries instead.

Go collect trash outside or whatever. Help some old women safely across the street. Donate money and time to those in need. Plant some trees. It's all 1 million times more useful.
I agree with wag you have said for example old egyptian tv shows like raafat al hagan and many are better than any today's garbage

Also there is fools who think that turkey and turks are like the people in the trashy dramas but in reality it's different people shouldn't rely on tv show to show them how some countries are really like

I agree with wag you have said for example old egyptian tv shows like raafat al hagan and many are better than any today's garbage

Also there is fools who think that turkey and turks are like the people in the trashy dramas but in reality it's different people shouldn't rely on tv show to show them how some countries are really like

Those tv shows had dignity, historical accuracy, authenticity and much better storylines. It's like comparing a Da Vinci painting with a bright new shinning copy. Those tv shows used to have a great plot too that made an positive impact on people. What are those TV dramas (most) nowadays trying to get across other than affairs, killings, immoral behavior etc.? It's all incredibly superficial and not in tune with our culture. BTW this has nothing to do with religion from my part. Yes, I get it, it is "entertainment" and just like there is not necessarily good or bad music or poetry, there should be some standards.

We live in an era where people's attention span is 10 minutes at best. This results in a lot of artificial work that lacks the depth and authentic of the old classics.

I generally don't watch television series, but I think they are a useful socio-cultural instrument. Instead of a reliance on foreign productions, Arab media needs to develop content that is both entertaining and educational, thus serving a broader and wholesome agenda.

For example, I've seen some high quality Islamic productions in recent years, such as the Umar series (MBC) and some recent content on Harun ar-Rashid and Ahmad bin Hanbal.

Things like that, of a historical or religious nature, serve a purpose and should be invested in. You want to nurture a generation in tune with its identity, and which is entertained at the same time as to push off foreign content.

Turks have done quite well for themselves in that regard (despite much of it being fictional); Arabs should too.

In complete agreement, brother. It will be the obligation of the current generation, certainly the future one, to ensure this. We live in a highly globalized world today but with our extremely rich legacy on almost every front, there is no need to copy foreigners, especially if they are not worth copying. Take the best from them and apply them with your own local interpretations and "flavor". That used to be the case once when the Arab world looked towards neighboring Europe and later Hollywood when native modern film industries were created initially.

BTW, I believe similar steps should be taken against all potentially harmful outside influences with no exception but I am afraid that we are past this stage nowadays. Censorship is not going to work and is probably not the ideal thing but a positive step in the right direction is a positive step in the right direction.

Those tv shows had dignity, historical accuracy, authenticity and much better storylines. It's like comparing a Da Vinci painting with a bright new shinning copy. Those tv shows used to have a great plot too that made an positive impact on people. What are those TV dramas (most) nowadays trying to get across other than affairs, killings, immoral behavior etc.? It's all incredibly superficial and not in tune with our culture. BTW this has nothing to do with religion from my part. Yes, I get it, it is "entertainment" and just like there is not necessarily good or bad music or poetry, there should be some standards.

We live in an era where people's attention span is 10 minutes at best. This results in a lot of artificial work that lacks the depth and authentic of the old classics.

In complete agreement, brother. It will be the obligation of the current generation, certainly the future one, to ensure this. We live in a highly globalized world today but with our extremely rich legacy on almost every front, there is no need to copy foreigners, especially if they are not worth copying. Take the best from them and apply them with your own local interpretations and "flavor". That used to be the case once when the Arab world looked towards neighboring Europe and later Hollywood when native modern film industries were created initially.

BTW, I believe similar steps should be taken against all potentially harmful outside influences with no exception but I am afraid that we are past this stage nowadays. Censorship is not going to work and is probably not the ideal thing but a positive step in the right direction is a positive step in the right direction.
All people agree that the old shows , movies and songs are better than nowadays back than the arts have test unlike today with all the western copying thing in the movies and songs like their dress or dance or moves or they way their romantic relationships which all of them doesn't have any test among the arab viewers are alien

As for raafat al hagan I think most of it was based on the novel and not on the real history but it still one of the best shows despise the poor production and equality of back than in Egypt and the arab world during the 1980s

The pan-Arab broadcaster based in Dubai has confirmed to The National that it received instructions to remove all Turkish programming from all of its channels until further notice

wo05-TurkishTV-WEB.JPG

The sudden removal of hit Turkish dramas from MBC over the past few days is set to continue for the foreseeable future.

The pan-Arab broadcaster based in Dubai has confirmed to The National that it received instructions to remove all Turkish programming from all of its channels, including Egypt’s MBC Masr, until further notice.

MBC Group spokesman Mazen Hayek would not comment on who was behind the decision or whether it came from inside or outside of the company.

“There is a decision that concerns several media outlets in many Arab countries that Turkish dramas are to be taken off air, including MBC,” Mr Hayek said. “That was from 1am Saudi Arabian time on the second of March.”

The decision has affected six shows, including the new crime drama Al Dakheel, which is now paused on its fifth episode, while fans of the period drama Anta Watani (You Are My Nation) will be frustrated with the show stuck at the 84th episode.

While Mr Hayek would not comment on the other channels affected, the directive does not seem to apply to Dubai TV which, according to its published schedule online, continues to screen the drama Sultana Kosem at 9pm, five days a week.

The online streaming service Netflix is also showing almost 20 Turkish programmes, including the 2011 historical drama The Magnificent Century and the 2009 espionage thriller and the Gulf smash hit Ezel.

Ezel was so popular in the region during its initial screening that the show’s cast flew to Dubai for a meet and greet with fans in 2011.

Turkish dramas have been gaining a foothold in the Arab world for more than a decade.

Dubbed in Arabic, the programmes have pipped traditional leaders Egypt and Syria (the former due to poor scripts and the latter because of the present conflict crippling the Syrian TV industry) with their multi-faceted storylines, high production values and serene landscapes.

Their controversially liberal take on relationships also resulted in 2008’s Noor becoming a runaway hit in the region. The show’s final episode, airing on MBC, reportedly had 80 million viewers from the Arabian Gulf to Morocco.

The drama’s landmark success ushered a seemingly endless wave of Turkish drama, ranging from the melodramatic What Is Left of Love? and Innocent Dreams to grittier offerings including Yesterday’s Scent and Ezel.

“We are a country both very close to Arabic countries and very far way,” Ezel co-creator Kerem Deren told The National in 2011.

“And because of that, I think there is a fantasy to it. When I spoke to fans in Abu Dhabi, a lot of them said the same thing: that they loved it straight away but at the same time the show is a little bit strange for them.”

Mr Hayek says the decision could result in some positives for the regional television industry.

“It could be an opportunity for all of us to produce premium Arabic dramas with more quality,” he said.

TheNational

Good News, that should have been done long ago since Turkish drama has become a tool to advocate for Homosexuality and doesn't represent or stand for Muslim values.

wise move

whoever watches those whiny cheesy soap operas should be slapped silly, flogged in public and sent to a rehabilitation camp.

whoever watches those whiny cheesy soap operas should be slapped silly, flogged in public and sent to a rehabilitation camp.
Women love them... :meeting:

There is only one Turkish serial i like to watch and that's "Çukur".

That's because very high acting performance, a very good and dynamic scenario. Rest are garbage to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom