What's new

Saudi Arabia wanted to buy Pakistani submarines

Saudi Arabia and Malaysia expressed interest in Pakistani-built French Agosta 90-B submarines

Saudi Arabia on other hand has almost finalized the deal . The main problem with the issue is that French and Pakistani engineers have changed Agosta into a platform that can launch nuclear strikes. This irked American Defense Department which was quick to use its ties with Pakistan on this issue. However Pakistan has assured United States that it will sell perfectly safe submarines to Saudi Arabia

DAWN WIRE SERVICE : 18 November 2000 Issue : 06/44

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently we wanted to buy Pakistani submarines but Pakistan refused to sell due to American pressure :( really sad read for me.
lol...and strange....that SA possibly had approached Pakistan for Subs...a country which buys the same from other country...Why cant SA buy sub directly from France or even from the US...money is not the problem for them..and if France can sell it to Pak then why not to SA?

You shouldn't believe everything you read! ;)
You are right but when one compares many different articles, their sources and the writers, he can deduce things that will be the closest to the truth.
I am no novice in this or in any kind of military, police or scientific analysis, so thanks for the advice anyway.

lol...and strange....that SA possibly had approached Pakistan for Subs...a country which buys the same from other country...Why cant SA buy sub directly from France or even from the US...money is not the problem for them..and if France can sell it to Pak then why not to SA?
They might by them for general crue training on submarines, since this will be the first time SA and GCC are thinking of buying Some sophisticated submarines, Used but advanced submarine and their competent crues from paakistan can do just this.

Stephenson wonders: "Could an Iranian midget sub penetrate an American harbor?" If so, it could present a real danger, and in addition to getting their hands on several North Korean Yugos,Military experts describe the Iranian Ghadir as silent enough to elude the most advanced U.S. sonar. the Iranians have also developed a powerful midget submarine of their own.
Military experts describe the Iranian Ghadir as silent enough to elude the most advanced U.S. sonar.

Military experts describe the Iranian Ghadir as silent enough to elude the most advanced U.S. sonar.

@Abu Nasar

These are not my mere opinions, as you can see from the links I have provided like usual.
I can't reveal too much on a public forum, got into trouble recently not doing it again. You are free to believe what you want!

They might by them for general crue training on submarines, since this will be the first time SA and GCC are thinking of buying Some sophisticated submarines, Used but advanced submarine and their competent crues from paakistan can do just this.
sorry dude...not convinced.

Saudi Arabia and Malaysia expressed interest in Pakistani-built French Agosta 90-B submarines

Saudi Arabia on other hand has almost finalized the deal . The main problem with the issue is that French and Pakistani engineers have changed Agosta into a platform that can launch nuclear strikes. This irked American Defense Department which was quick to use its ties with Pakistan on this issue. However Pakistan has assured United States that it will sell perfectly safe submarines to Saudi Arabia

DAWN WIRE SERVICE : 18 November 2000 Issue : 06/44

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently we wanted to buy Pakistani submarines but Pakistan refused to sell due to American pressure :( really sad read for me.

totally fake, Saudia Arabia has 10 times more influence on Pakistan than US. Pakistan has done things against the wishes on US many many many times that has made US mad but we didnt give a fcuk because it wasnt in our interest.

There is another angle. Without going into details. SC or someone else could elaborate. Pakistan can offer KSA a sub with offensive capabilities for e.g. sub launched CM Babur. Getting a sub from the west is one thing, getting CM's is quite another. Secondly, when buying a Pakistani Platform they have the assurety that they can access other goodies in the kitty. Thirdly, crew. At the drop of a hat they can have PN crew on secondment.

How would Americans VALIDATE that we haven't sold RSAN a sub that can launch a nuclear strike on the 'holy land' from the Red Sea? - All of the Republicans will go on a hunger strike on the congress floor. But hey, we are getting six more subs that can do, precisely the same thing with a ferry range of 10,000km - who needs ICBMs :D

@Yzd Khalifa | @Mosamania | @Arabian Legend

:lol: :rofl: :omghaha: :laugh: :D You EVIL you.

As if the ISI & the MOD would ever give a rat about what others might think ....

As long as it has the blessings of ...... + ....... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sorry dude... that is your problem.
I said it was a possibility!

There is another angle. Without going into details. SC or someone else could elaborate. Pakistan can offer KSA a sub with offensive capabilities for e.g. sub launched CM Babur. Getting a sub from the west is one thing, getting CM's is quite another. Secondly, when buying a Pakistani Platform they have the assurety that they can access other goodies in the kitty. Thirdly, crew. At the drop of a hat they can have PN crew on secondment.
It is complete enough, nothing to add. Apart from buying some T-209 , T-212 or T-214 if TOT is provided, at least for T-209s.

Last edited:

sounds interesting. But does Pak really has such an offensive tech for Subs that RSA cant buy with their money from OEM?

You need to ask your self this question with an unbiased mind.
dude..I am not being biased here...seriously wanted to know..as if I compare my country in this regard, we don't ve such capability..so its obvious I wud like to know what Pakistan has that interests KSA when it comes to offensive tech for Subs!

dude..I am not being biased here...seriously wanted to know..as if I compare my country in this regard, we don't ve such capability..so its obvious I wud like to know what Pakistan has that interests KSA when it comes to offensive tech for Subs!
You have to look at it from a broader prospective, it's about the relationship as well.

By the time the article was published, France no longer offered its Agosta class sub. Instead they are offering the very same sub you country bought.

Another thing is that the Saudis have been operating Pakistan's Agosta in joint-operations, trainings, and patrols for more than 25 years, if it helps.

So think of it more like of a strategic-military-political procurement option - if the news turned out to be true though -

Pakistan is itself buying chinese submarines..
No final deal has been sealed so far.

Also, they built their own subs ages ago.

Back
Top Bottom