What's new

Saudi Arabia may open cinemas in country

Banana

BANNED
Reaction score
DUBAI: The ultra-conservative Gulf kingdom of Saudi Arabia is looking at opening cinemas across the country if the government gives the final go ahead, the ministry of culture said on Thursday.
For decades, despite the growing wealth and strong connections with the Western world, film has largely been banned in the country, with Islamic clerics claiming movies would drive the country backward and lead to unrest.
Now, citizens could be able to see the latest releases, but it depends on the government’s final say, which is expected to come in the near future.
“When Prince Dr Abdul Aziz Bin Ayyaf, Mayor of Riyadh, said we are in the process of setting up cinemas, he would not have said this unless he has definite information in this regard,” Khoja told journalists while visiting King Saud University in Riyadh on 3 January.
“At the Ministry of Culture and Information we are ready to cooperate,” he is quoted as saying in The Saudi Gazette.
The Mayor of Riyadh has previously said around 230,000 tourists from Saudi Arabia visited the UAE in summer 2010 just to watch movies, a fact he claims “shows that cinemas in the Kingdom have become important.”
Mohamed Jabar, a 24-year-old university student from Jeddah, said he is in Dubai because he wanted to watch Mission Impossible.
“I don’t understand why we aren’t allowed to watch movies in cinemas,” he told Bikyamasr.com. “It isn’t like we don’t have ways to download movies and watch them on our own or travel to Cairo or Dubai just to do so. The government should listen to the people.”
Film is seen as increasingly important in the Gulf region, with prestigious annual film festivals now being held in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar, alongside events in more traditional centres of Arab media production such as Egypt and Lebanon.
Still, the culture ministry said that even if films are readily available in the country, they would be heavily censored and anything deemed “un-Islamic” would remain outside the country.
But for young Saudi’s like Jabar, the hope is that big action films will be coming to a cinema near a Saudi city soon.

Saudi Arabia may open cinemas in country - Bikya Masr

Don't they already have cinemas? really?

Don't they already have Cinemas? really?

Nope. Because our religious clergy sucks. We will have to see who wins the civil war first the liberals or the conservatives.

Oh, my God, this country does not even have cinemas? Is this 21st century in Saudi Arabia? At least Iran has a thriving cinema:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't the Saudi Govt. have anything better than that to do God Damn it???......:smokin:

They wanted to stop cinemas from opening in the 70s we even made a movie in our cinemas but the grand mosque seizure changed everything. A couple of wackos started saying how Al-Sauds can not rule anymore because they allowed cinemas and such into the country so they closed everything down. Till today we are suffering because of that.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

I hope the liberals win at the end.

We are winning if you haven't noticed but we have to see what Nayef will do. We have the king in our side now gonna be harder when he died. We already came a long way.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Oh, my God, this country does not even have cinemas? Is this 21st century in Saudi Arabia? At least Iran has a thriving cinema:

What I find sad regarding Iran is that while we are moving forward they are moving backwards regarding liberations and such stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
They wanted to stop cinemas from opening in the 70s we even made a movie in our cinemas but the grand mosque seizure changed everything. A couple of wackos started saying how Al-Sauds can not rule anymore because they allowed cinemas and such into the country so they closed everything down. Till today we are suffering because of that.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

We are winning if you haven't noticed but we have to see what Nayef will do. We have the king in our side now gonna be harder when he died. We already came a long way.

What's the story of the grand mosque seizure?

Who is usually more powerful in Saudi Arabia? the King or the clergy?

What I find sad regarding Iran is that while we are moving forward they are moving backwards regarding liberations and such stuff.
Actually we went backward 32 years ago for once and since that time we're moving forward and in the last decade we've been moving forward with the highest speed possible.

Actually we went backward 32 years ago for once and since that time we're moving forward and in the last decade we've been moving forward with the highest speed possible.

A bunch of wackos took over haram sharif around the time Iran had it's revolution. Some 130 guys took over haram sharif and called for the ousting of Al-Saud because they allowed concerts and cinemas and stuff like that into the country.

Do not bother with him. Grand mosque seizure was the mysterious and controversial event which Saudis blamed on Iran, and became the basis for Saudis to support Saddam to invade Iran. You see everything in Saudi Arabia revolve around Iran. While I am sure in Iran, you hardly hear anything on Saudi Arabia.

Iranian cinema has actually become much better after the revolution. I have seen movies from both era and the movies after revolution are the real gems. Once I recommended an Iranian movie (color of paradise) to a western female friend of mine and she was so impressed though it had made her cry so much. After seeing this movie no body can ever hold any prejudice against a person with disability. Very strong movie.

Everyone loves movies. They add color to life.

Action and original script- Hollywood
Dance and entertainment- Bollywood

Chinese films are also excellent.

A bunch of wackos took over haram sharif around the time Iran had it's revolution. Some 130 guys took over haram sharif and called for the ousting of Al-Saud because they allowed concerts and cinemas and stuff like that into the country.

Thanks for the info.

Do not bother with him. Grand mosque seizure was the mysterious and controversial event which Saudis blamed on Iran, and became the basis for Saudis to support Saddam to invade Iran. You see everything in Saudi Arabia revolve around Iran. While I am sure in Iran, you hardly hear anything on Saudi Arabia.

Iranian cinema has actually become much better after the revolution. I have seen movies from both era and the movies after revolution are the real gems. Once I recommended an Iranian movie (color of paradise) to a western female friend of mine and she was so impressed though it had made her cry so much. After seeing this movie no body can ever hold any prejudice against a person with disability. Very strong movie.

Well, yea, Iranian cinema has had some great achievements after the revolution. There are some good Iranian movies out there and recently an Iranian movie named 'Nader and Simin: A separation" has been nominated for Oscar award. 'The color of paradise' is also a very good movie. Unfortunately most Iranian movies that win awards in foreign festivals are just winning awards because they criticize Iran, so by giving important awards to Iranian directors they are encouraging Iranian directors to make more critical movies about Iran that can help their propaganda against Iran, that's what they've been doing with Latin American cinema as well. I'm not so fond of our cinema, neither the Iranian cinema before the revolution nor the current one. The Iranian cinema before the revolution was something between Hollywood and Bollywood, the current Iranian cinema is a bit better but it's still way far behind what I can call it a good film industry.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom