What's new

Saudi Arabia brings cultural, religious exotica to India

Status
Not open for further replies.

EjazR

Reaction score
Saudi Arabia brings cultural, religious exotica to India - The Times of India

Sugary dates, Persian calligraphy, colourful contemporary art, henna designs and holy Zamzam water from Mecca are some of the exotic flavours from Saudi Arabia in the culture corridor of the capital this week.

A week-long Saudi Arabia cultural showcase - one of the biggest ever in India - is on here from Sep 27-Oct 1 with an arts blitz at the Lalit Kala Akademi. Presented by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), the festival is the first initiative of the cultural wing of the ministry of external affairs to build better people-to-people bridges between India and Saudi Arabia.

In a touching gesture, the culture showcase 'performed a Haj ritual' by offering guests holy water from the Zamzam Well, a sacred spring located 18 km from the black stone at Kaaba, a building, on the complex of Masjid-al-Haram. The water was offered in miniature jars by holy men - dressed in traditional robes - who look after the well in Mecca. Haj pilgrims drink water from the well in a religious ritual during the annual pilgrimage. "The well dates back to the era of prophet Abraham. It was ordained by god to spring forth at Mecca for the well-being of the people. In course of time, it disappeared and was resurrected before the birth of prophet Mohammed. The people and now the government of Saudi Arabia have cared for it down the ages. The government has mapped it and located its source feeds. The water is very very clean..." Imad Zamzami, whose family has traditionally cared for the well, said.

"My grandfather and father have looked after the well before me," Zamzami said. The ICCR this year inaugurated its overseas cell in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. An 88-member delegation of artists, performers, scholars and officials is representing the kingdom in India.

"The cultural event comprising multiple components is being held in India indicates the growing profile of cultural diplomacy between the two countries. We opened our cultural wing in Riyadh this year and we plan to host Indian cultural events in South Africa. After all this period, there is nothing better than culture to understand each other," Suresh Goel, the director-general of ICCR, said.

The week-long Arabian art exhibition at the Lalit Kala Akademi has brought more than 150 heritage photographs, Persian and Arabic calligrahic art, digital art, multi-media art, paintings, sculpture, animation and comic book art from South Arabia from India. "Art is appreciated in Saudi Arabia.

Almost every household has an amateur or professional artist - and boasts of a work of art as accessory. Women can pursue arts provided they do not offend religious sensitivities. We cannot draw suggestive human figures," Amal Mohammed al Zahirani, an artist and interior designer from Jeddah, said.

Zahirani uses glue, varnish, antiques, acrylic and metal for her three-dimensional abstract art and sculptures. She estimated that the kingdom had 200 women artists who have made a name for themselves. Inaugurating the showcase, Sanjay Singh, secretary, east, in the ministry of external affairs said, "India and Saudi Arabia enjoy cordial socio-cultural relations".

He said more than 1.8 lakh pilgrims want to visit Mecca for Haj this year. Singh also traced the history of bilateral ties between India and Saudi Arabia since the first Indian prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru visited the country in 1956.

"We hope to organise more such cultural festivals in India. We are talking to people in India - this relation will continue," Saleh-bin-Abdul Aziz al-Meghaileth, deputy minister of international culture relations, Saudi Arabia, said. Saleh is heading the Saudi delegation.

But we don't need wahabi/salafi/tabligi and KSA funds for radicalization of our people.

iran culture is ancient culture the islam was forced on us. while saudi arabian culture was and is islam.

Islam was not forced on you. Rather when 1400 years ago Islam came people had become fed up with the corrupt Kings of Iran and became Muslims enmasse. Read your history. If you do not like Islam, you can live like thousands of Iranians who left Iran and now live in west without any religion. No body forces you to stay in Iran. But today almost every one in Iran is a Muslim and will remain so regardless of your hate mongering about Islam. Almost all Iran's scientific achievements, arts, and culture were produced after Islam. Who do you think Iran's famous poets and scientists were? They were all Muslims and were proud of it. Just because you are not, does not mean 75 million other people living there feel the same. Name one philosopher or scientists of repute before Islam. There are none. While Greece at the time had more scientists in a village than Iran had in its entire empire. Learn the facts. Avecenna was actually an Islamic scholar. So were others.

Avecenna was actually an Islamic scholar. So were others.

The poor guy was forced to flee Balkh to go to central asia for the fear of Mullahs lol. anyway, he was a great physician, philosopher ad poet.

Islam was not forced on you. Rather when 1400 years ago Islam came people had become fed up with the corrupt Kings of Iran and became Muslims enmasse. Read your history. If you do not like Islam, you can live like thousands of Iranians who left Iran and now live in west without any religion. No body forces you to stay in Iran. But today almost every one in Iran is a Muslim and will remain so regardless of your hate mongering about Islam. Almost all Iran's scientific achievements, arts, and culture were produced after Islam. Who do you think Iran's famous poets and scientists were? They were all Muslims and were proud of it. Just because you are not, does not mean 75 million other people living there feel the same. Name one philosopher or scientists of repute before Islam. There are none. While Greece at the time had more scientists in a village than Iran had in its entire empire. Learn the facts. Avecenna was actually an Islamic scholar. So were others.

I dont hate islam itself i hate it being a part of my country, also i dont follow your logic you think irans scientific achievements are because of islam? Irans great ancient history that i talk about involves ancient persian before islam. so your telling me cyrus the great and darius the great were also muslims? they made persia

The poor guy was forced to flee Balkh to go to central asia for the fear of Mullahs lol. anyway, he was a great physician, philosopher ad poet.

Ahmad are you also a hate mongering non-Muslim? There were no "Mullahs" then. He run away from a brutal KING, the same kind of people you and the like of Persian God King are dying for their return. Your level of literacy is so low. Mullahs came to rule Iran in 1979 and before that their rule in Iran's government was nil. Avencenna himself was a prolific Islamic writer. Read about him before coming here and trying to spew hate.

I dont hate islam itself i hate it being a part of my country, also i dont follow your logic you think irans scientific achievements are because of islam? Irans great ancient history that i talk about involves ancient persian before islam. so your telling me cyrus the great and darius the great were also muslims? they made persia

are you zorashtrian?

Ahmad are you also a hate mongering non-Muslim? There were no "Mullahs" then. He run away from a brutal KING, the same kind of people you and the like of Persian God King are dying for their return. Your level of literacy is so low. Mullahs came to rule Iran in 1979 and before that their rule in Iran's government was nil. Avencenna himself was a prolific Islamic writer. Read about him before coming here and trying to spew hate.

and what makes you say i am non muslim? you are jumping to conclusions too soon. There were mullahs that time and even the king himself was a strict sunni muslim.

But we don't need wahabi/salafi/tabligi and KSA funds for radicalization of our people.

what radicalization exactly? Ever been in KSA? they are not the camel jockeys, child molesting terrorists hollywood plays them as

Now India need to do something ................ against this Abrahamic Religions only iReligions(India originated religions Hinduism,buddhism,Jainism,Sihkism) can stand but today hinduism is too much corrupted ... it needs an reformation .... OUR secularistic govt cannot do anything ..... May be we have to take this pillar to carry .... I am astonished that today Buddhism,Jainism almost entirely reluctant to convert .......... If it continuously happen then one day we may be sent to museum to preserve ....:hitwall:

OMG! Indians are becoming as brainwashed as the whites of America. I hope all Indians don't reflect this idiot's attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom