What's new

Saudi Arabia announces 20% defence budget increase

While expanding the size of the Navy is a great idea, lots of these billions will not be utilized the way they should be, to say the least. The innate systematic corruption networks will always find ways to absorb a fair share (if not a lion share). This is, unfortunately, how some of the irreplaceable massive fortunes are being spent in this giant hell-hole (also known as the Middle East).

Last edited:
Iranian Navy will be blown to pieces by Saudi Air Force. They can establish air dominance in matter of hours. So if RSAN's focus is not on Iran than on who?
Before that, all of KSA's infrastructures, oil refineries, airports and and major cities will be blown to pieces by Iran's missiles. Navies are not going to be thr main factor in any potential war in this particular case.

Fancy air crafts are not the only thing you need to win a war. Plus, in less than a year, Iran's extensive air defense coverage will be complete and it will be very hard for intruding aircrafts to reach any strategic depth inside Iran. With addition of latest Bavar rong range missile system (whose missiles and radar were shown yesterday in an exhibition unofficially), Iran's airspace will be one of the best defended ones in the region.
I'm not saying Saudi air force is not a dangerous threat, I'm saying it can't and won't be able to win any war alone.
Before some trolls start to quote me, I'd like to remind people that no war is going to happen between Iran and KSA and neither countries would want to see that coming. A war between 2 countries will simply cost hundreds of billions for both sides, so I don't think either side is stupid enough to start any war.

Last edited:
Before that, all of KSA's infrastructures, oil refineries, airports and and major cities will be blown to pieces by Iran's missiles. Navies are not going to be a factor in any potential war at all.

Fancy air crafts are not the only thing you need to win a war.

Before some trolls start to quote me, I'd like to remind people that no war is going to happen between Iran and KSA and neither countries would want to see that coming.

Don't worry about it man. Sahib Ezzaman can do it without a single missle to be wasted by you on his cousins (the Tazis).

Last edited:
@Serpentine

* Iran will not use Ballistic Missiles, unilaterally in a conflict with Saudi Arabia. Please bear in mid that Ballistic Missiles aren't as accurate as people think they are. Ballistic Missiles are used to deliever WMDs which mitigates the accuracy issue.

* Using BMs in a conventional war will not only turn international opinion sharply against Iran but will also not attain any significant battle objectives.

* Saudi Oil refineries areprotected by Patriot SAMs and they are buying Ageis destroyers which render the conventional use of BMs, all but useless.

* Saudis too operate Ballistic Missiles, which they will refrain from firing at Iran, simply to win the diplomatic battle as Iran would look like the aggressor.

* Any battle between Iran and KSA will most likely remain confined to air and naval theaters since a land border doesn't exist and both countries have limited marine invasion capability.

In any such battle the result would be in the Saudi favour.

* Iran will not use Ballistic Missiles, unilaterally in a conflict with Saudi Arabia. Please bear in mid that Ballistic Missiles aren't as accurate as people think they are. Ballistic Missiles are used to deliever WMDs which mitigates the accuracy issue.
Short range ballistic missiles are pretty accurate, so are they in Iran's case. We are notgoing to use any long range missiles. All main Saudi oil infrastructures are within the 500 km range.

* Using BMs in a conventional war will not only turn international opinion sharply against Iran but will also not attain any significant battle objectives.
So, Saudis using air force against Iran is all okay, but we use missiles against them will have international response? Nah I don't think so. We do avoid civilian centers and will only target military assets, airports and oil infrastructures.

* Saudi Oil refineries are protected by Patriot SAMs and they are buying Ageis destroyers which render the conventional use of BMs, all but useless.
Iran already has anti-Ship ballistic missiles. Saudi Navy will be a sitting duck against a heavy missile attack, plus effective guerrilla war tactics. And Patriots are not popular for having a 100% success rate, are they? You know even what even one missile with a 700 kg warhead can do to a refinery, don't you?

* Saudis too operate Ballistic Missiles, which they will refrain from firing at Iran, simply to win the diplomatic battle as Iran would look like the aggressor.

Saudi ballistic missiles are long range ones, and they are inaccurate. Do they have short range missiles? No they don't. Also, the difference is that Iran produces missiles domestically, so there'll be no shortage of them in case of any war.

* Any battle between Iran and KSA will most likely remain confined to air and naval theaters since a land border doesn't exist and both countries have limited marine invasion capability.
Saudis have their air force, we have our missiles, our air defense systems and hell of an experience in guerrilla war tactics. Even senior U.S commanders have warned against any naval conflict in the Persian Gulf with Iran. Saudi navy will not be a a game-changing factor. Also we have a relatively good submarine force, with more middle sized submarines to join this year.

No, I don't think so. It depends on who starts the war. If Saudis start it, they will be defeated in the diplomatic war, no matter how many western countries stand behind them, because it will keep open our hands in the kind of war tactics we use against them, since they are the one who will be known as aggressors.
Also I'm pretty sure Iran will never start a war with neither SA or any other country. So chances of a war happening is currently below 0.01%.

Don't worry about it man. Sahib Ezzaman can do it without a single missle to be wasted by you on his cousins (the Tazis).

Troll alert. :)

Last edited:
@Serpentine

This debate is hypothetical as i don't see any direct clash between SA and Iran for the foreseeable future.

Just few points to be noted here.

* Use of Short Range BMs too won't have the results Iranian planners would want to have.
SRBMs follow a certain ballistic trajectory which makes them vunreble to Air Defense Systems. KSA has E-3 AEWCs aircrafts and an array of sophisticated AESA units on the ground and at Sea.

Saudi Military is highly networked and their Patriot systems along with upcoming SM-3 armed Ships can intercrpt and destroy most if not all incoming projectiles which follow a ballistic trajectory.

* Attacking oil installations will have international repurcussions for Iran, since it will send the oil prices sky rocketing.

* Iranian hydrocarbon installations too would become bulls eye for the Saudis who have all assets they need to destroy them, which is their extremely well geared and trained air force.

* Because the ground and marine paradigm doesn't exist, any such war will be limited to the use of air power, naval assets and as a final resort, the use of ballistic missiles.

In such a conflict, the airpower will decide the winner.

Everybody is proping up their military their military in the mid-east. Or at least the ones who have the budget for it. Seems like somebody is going to happen sooner or later.

$80 billion is an extraordinarily large sum. Puts KSA behind only the US and China in terms of spending.

I wonder how long it'll take to manifest in confirmed procurements and noticeable R&D developments. More importantly, how long until this level of spending begins to match the kingdom's strategic weight in the region?

I know it can already be considered a middle-power, but with this kind of spending and resource allocation, it should be in the 'great power' discussion alongside traditional European powers (UK, France, Germany) and the clear Middle Eastern power within a generation.

We'll see.

Yes, an $80 billion annual defence budget puts them far above the military spending of the so-called great powers like Britain and France.

If you read Indian poster's posts just on here (and I see them on many other forums), they are becoming extremely anti-Islamic. Its very obvious. So if you were Saudia....what would you be thinking???
Aero is right. Majority of these Naval preparations are to deal with a larger naval future foe and that ain't the US. In the next 15 years, India will start to assert itself in a forceful way and these guys will be waiting eye to eye for you as they prepped in advance. Plus Naval expansion would mean the US won't ask the Indian Navy to Patrol this area so much as Saudi is their strongest ally after Israel. So the Arabs will keep the Indian involvement at bay. Air force wise, they are already WAY ahead of India in both quality and quantity. The Navy was lacking and 80 Billion for just a few years is enough to fill that gap and build an internal MIC. Smart plan.

What you talking about? Assertiveness against Saudi? Bro, we dont even assert our naval power against Sri Lanka, and you talking about KSA.

And even Saudi dont give a damn about India, they have there own threat perception with other country, so they raising it, there is nothing to do with India.

@Serpentine

* Saudi Oil refineries areprotected by Patriot SAMs and they are buying Ageis destroyers which render the conventional use of BMs, all but useless.

I don't expect a war between the two and agree with your points. Except the point about using ballistic missiles will portray them as aggressors. It's the only offensive capability in the event of a war. Only difference is one missile delivers more firepower then several air strikes depending on type used. But, they are neighbors so no long range is needed.

By loony, i meant that even title holders including Administrator of this forum does not have a firm grip over reality. A think tank started a tirade against me for stating that Saudis could not build there own GPS with current level of tech they have, which by the way is an empirical fact and not driven by malice.Then there is administrator of this forum spinning wild speculations bordering on conspiracy theories as seen in post on this thread itself.

Certainly this is a Pakistani forum, but still self delusion is a pointer of low self efficacy.
Yeah you question them, you get banned. He has given me 4 or 5 out of 7 negative rating lol

and yes many tt are very misinformed. They don't trust economist, guardian, new york times, but they trust ARY news. Why? it fits their view, so they're not paid. DESPITE the host getting caught in full video of doing journalism. But hey, as long as it fit their agenda, entire world is ruled by india and nawaz and their news program is only sane voice in entire world.

I could go on and on, but then power abuse will kick in. You get the idea anyway.

I don't expect a war between the two and agree with your points. Except the point about using ballistic missiles will portray them as aggressors. It's the only offensive capability in the event of a war. Only difference is one missile delivers more firepower then several air strikes depending on type used. But, they are neighbors so no long range is needed.

That is not true actually, a single missile payload maybe 3500KG at best, talking about the biggest missile payload, then there is the F-15SA with a payload of 12,000KG, almost a payload 3 time the size and power of a missile.

Not to mention that a missile can only be used to deliver its payload once, however a fighter jet will deliver its payload several times each day throughout the conflict.

That is not true actually, a single missile payload maybe 3500KG at best, talking about the biggest missile payload, then there is the F-15SA with a payload of 12,000KG, almost a payload 3 time the size and power of a missile.

Not to mention that a missile can only be used to deliver its payload once, however a fighter jet will deliver its payload several times each day throughout the conflict.

The second part is what I was trying to imply.

u seem to be to intelligent, serving two masters simultaneously for last 60 years have surely affected u & your people brain cells
Is your username Bhangi because you regularly drink Bhang or is it just a result of being a retard?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom