What's new

Sanskrit to replace Urdu on railway signboards in Uttarakhand

Because the forum allows Indians and all other nationalities to be here.

And so does the world. We are individuals and have opinions about other countries. This is not your piece of shit banana republic. Shit skin..

Time for the Muslims of India to unite and raise a revolt.
LOL they dont have mindset like you pals:smart:
I ,must say they are more logical than you folks:big_boss:

Urdu on the whole will gradually decline in India. Despite the population growth factor the number of native speakers of Urdu speakers declined in India as per their latest census (https://www.ummid.com/news/2018/Jul...hindi-kashmiri-gujarati-telugu-languages.html).
that's because most muslims dont follow religious followings of islam in INDIA .
thats the truth . and eventually in next 10 to 15 yrs the urdu is extinct from INDIA as per current trends.

Live
b93408de487847db90c1c03d452218f6_18.jpg

NEWS /ASIAView attachment 601295
Sanskrit to replace Urdu on railway signboards in Uttarakhand
Move is criticised as there are fewer than 400 Sanskrit speakers in the state compared with about 400,000 Urdu speakers.

by Tawqeer Hussain
21 Jan 2020 GMT+3
The names of railway stations written in the Urdu language on platforms will be replaced with Sanskrit in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand - a move critics say is part of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) attack on Muslim cultural heritage.

The decision by India's railway ministry has faced criticism from the opposition, as there are fewer than 400 Sanskrit speakers in the Himalayan state of 10 million people, while the number of Urdu speakers exceeds 400,000.
S
More:

"Changing the name is a process bound to happen. As per the rule, second language has to be displayed on the signage, and in our case, it is Sanskrit," Beena Bhatt, the director of the Uttarakhand government's Department of Culture, told Al Jazeera.

"I understand we have fever number of Sanskrit language speakers as compared with Urdu, but the state adopted Sanskrit as the second official language in 2010. So it has to be Sanskrit on the boards and not Urdu," she said.

Indian railway officials on Sunday announced that the signboards of all railway platforms which have names of railway stations written in Hindi, English and Urdu will now be written in Hindi, English and Sanskrit.

Deepak Kumar, the chief public relations officer of Northern Railway, said the decision had been taken as per provisions of the railway manual, which says that names of the railway stations should be written in Hindi, English and in the second language of the state.

Uttarakhand was earlier part of Uttar Pradesh (UP) state where Urdu still remains the second language.

According to 2011 census data, the exact number of Sanskrit speakers in the state is 386, which includes 282 males and 104 females, while Urdu speakers are more than four percent of the population at 425,752 persons.

'Unfortunate'
The Opposition Congress party in the state termed the decision "unfortunate".

"It is very unfortunate and should be condemned by all. Why there is hate against a particular language? asked Pritam Singh, President Uttarakhand Pradesh Congress Committee.

"Congress party condemns it. We will oppose any such decision, we will impress on the state government to keep Urdu as well on the signage," Singh told Al Jazeera.

"These are the deliberate controversies being created by the BJP government," he added.

In October 2018, the BJP government in neighbouring UP state renamed the cities of Allahabad to Prayagraj and Faizabad to Ayodhya, saying it was "correcting wrongs" made by Mughal rulers during the medieval period.

Last week, the Supreme Court sent a notice to the state government after the name change was challenged in the top court.

In the same year in August, the UP government renamed the iconic Mughalsarai railway station near Varanasi – the parliamentary constituency of Prime Minister Narendra Modi – to Deen Dayal Upadhyaya station.

Many other BJP-ruled states have plans to change names of landmarks and cities bearing Muslim names as part of their cultural nationalism.

There have already been calls to change the name of Agra, where the famous Taj Mahal is located, to Agravan, or Agrawal and Ahmedabad, the capital of Gujarat state, to Karnavati.

Attempts to distort history
The BJP has also been accused of attempting to distort history by either removing or rewriting the Islamic past and Muslims' contribution to nation building.

In 2017, the then BJP government in Rajasthan state revised history in the Class X social science book, where Hindu ruler Maharana Pratap is shown as the victor against Mughal emperor Akbar in the 16th-century Battle of Haldighati. However, the battle ended inconclusively.

Similarly, the Maharashtra state government expunged portions from the Class VII textbook about the history of Mughals and the Muslim rulers in the state.

Professor Chandan Gowda, who teaches sociology at the private university Azim Premji in the southern city of Bengaluru, said the BJP "is hell-bent on Hinduising India".

"I am actually shocked to see this. How are these Sanskrit signs going to help when you have so few speakers in the state?" he said.

"This government started with changing Mughal names or Muslim-sounding names, now they are going after the language, it is highly unfortunate," he told Al Jazeera.

Meanwhile, an Uttarakhand BJP spokesperson has defended the move, saying "it is a railway rule to use second language on the signage".

"We are not against Urdu. Everything should not been seen in [a] Hindu-Muslim prism," said Vindesh Bisht.

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA NEWS

Have your say.Give us feedback.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
The country I saw as home, my parents saw as oppressors
What happens when you reject the identity your parents fought for and embrace that of those they fought against?

14 January 2020 GMT+3
Becoming Ocean: When you and the world are drowning
One woman shares the story of her life with polycystic kidney disease and sees parallels with the plight of the planet.

08 January 2020 GMT+3
The evening death came for me: My journey with PTSD
On a gorgeous Florida evening, a truck crashed into me. As I lay in intensive care, I learned who had been driving it.

01 January 2020 GMT+3

© 2018 Al Jazeera Media Network

Sanskrit has always been one of the official languages of Uttarakhand. I don't think Urdu is recognized in that state.

Uttarakhand actually has a few villages where people commonly use Sanskrit, and even some native speakers.

India, is on its way to be turned in to Nazi state shame.
Sanskrit is one of the official languages of Uttarakhand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttarakhand

I see more racism here on PDF by Pakistani posters than I have actually seen in my life in India. Of course, this is a just an online forum but still.
Also, please can you show even one of my comment where I have been racist.
Ironic he was saying the whole world is commenting on India when almost all coverage of Pakistan in international media is negative.

I hope they will replace urdu everywhere in india and this will help in ending the fake pride of muslims of india the 2nd class citizens.

I hope they will replace urdu everywhere in india and this will help in ending the fake pride of muslims of india the 2nd class citizens.
you can hope ,
but but for no avail for you.
you think and hope but opposite will happen everytime in INDIA:woot:

India is not concerned about what's happening in Pakistan. It's Pakistani leaders that are continuously doing the Twitter stunts. Just look at the tweets of your PM, railway minister, Army general in the past 2 years. You guys are even commenting on the ISRO missions. When I say you, I'm talking about political leaders.

Because the forum allows Indians and all other nationalities to be here.

Are you literally this retarded?

Minorities are rebelling all over India because your leader is more obsessed with Pakistan then he is with saving his own people.

His BS legislation is all about "saving Hindus from Pakistan"
Never mined that no Hindu in Pakistan asked for it, nor are there enough Hindus in Pakistan to justify pissing off 200 million people in your own country.

yet here we are, retarded India and it's leader, OBSESSED with Pakistan.

will happen [emoji23] its already happen see what is happening now in India, my hope is turning into reality

Remember, and never forget, that these Gangus, then largely represented by the Indian National Congress, could not even realize, as late as 1946, that Pakistan is coming into being. This is the height of their delusions and fantasies.:lol:

Actually, Bharatis should distance themselves from Urdu and leave that beautiful language for us. It's better this way.

What is "beautiful" about Urdu language, for me it is just an ordinary language like any other language in the world, there is no such thing as "beautiful" language. Languages are just languages, tools of communication between the multiple people, nothing more nothing less.

will happen [emoji23] its already happen see what is happening now in India, my hope is turning into reality
yeah it happens everytime in INDIA protests are common thing (democratic presentations). unlike pakistan , but its shown too the great extent in pakistan,in reality of which it is not that big , its just another protest before delhi elections .:pleasantry:

Remember, and never forget, that these Gangus, then largely represented by the Indian National Congress, could not even realize, as late as 1946, that Pakistan is coming into being. This is the height of their delusions and fantasies.:lol:
HAHAHAHA LOL:omghaha:
AND today people of pakistan are in delusion that indian national congress party will be back in power,
nah my friend never again congress is winning elections in centre ever again.:thank_you2:

What is "beautiful" about Urdu language, for me it is just an ordinary language like any other language in the world, there is no such thing as "beautiful" language. Languages are just languages, tools of communication between the multiple people, nothing more nothing less.

It's carries a bit more romance than other regional languages

And comedy of manners too

yeah it happens everytime in INDIA protests are common thing (democratic presentations). unlike pakistan , but its shown too the great extent in pakistan,in reality of which it is not that big , its just another protest before delhi elections .:pleasantry:

HAHAHAHA LOL:omghaha:
AND today people of pakistan are in delusion that indian national congress party will be back in power,
nah my friend never again congress is winning elections in centre ever again.:thank_you2:
We would like you to elect modi as Supreme leader.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom