Sahara set to bag Rs 80,000 cr (16.2 B USD) new Bangladesh capital project

A capital can not be built just like that,
even when the existing capital itself got curated
for quite a substantial timeframe. The bureaucratic hassles involved
is way too much.

Sorry but someone who seems to lack this basic
sense can not be dreaming to mobilize such a substantial
amount. The scale of the project is indeed epic but this stuffs
are just for daydreamers, therefore, not buying it.

Kngfisher asking for a bailout.

I will never support Indian Govt to provide "Sovereign Guarantee" to Sahara. Why should I ask the same to GOB?

And CLAUSE?? You made me cry...You dont know how corporates works.

Bingo! you nailed the point. And project itself is a sham as with current economic affairs and priorities this is not feasible. Its getting harder for LaBong to sustain his BS any longer.

I don't care if it's good or bad, just set the priorities right, BAL! Any news on the deep sea port? Myanmar started building theirs! I was watching this Al Jazeera news clip that claimed Myanmar's deep sea port is going to be a regional hub. Our demo(n)cracy is doing us no good! :cry:

Sahara set to bag Rs 80,000 crore new Bangladesh capital project

Sahara set to bag Rs 80,000 crore new Bangladesh capital project - The Times of India

Piyush Pandey & Shubham Mukherjee , TNN | Feb 24, 2012, 06.29AM IST
He may have broken up with his most romantic girlfriend but his romance with the aviation business continues. Subrata Roy, managing worker and chairman Sahara India Parivar, who describes the airline business as his idea of a romantic girlfriend is still passionate about the sector but is equally letting his vision fly into distant lands in search of greener pastures.

The group, which has been in the news more for issues relating to cricket and acquisition of an iconic London hotel, has silently created a bigger game plan, which includes getting into diverse areas like education, retail, mining, oil exploration and banking. Besides, it also includes entering newer geographies such as Bangladesh and Africa. But at the centre of it all is a Rs 80,000-crore project to create a new capital of Bangladesh-New Dhaka-and a real estate development project spanning five different locations in that country, land for part of which it has already acquired.

But even after selling off his airline-Air Sahara-to Jet Airways for Rs 2,000 crore six years ago, it's aviation that he wants to talk about the most. Roy believes aviation cannot be just a fancy of the rich and flamboyant but it should also make abundant business sense. "We should understand the importance of air transport in the economy of a country and what it stands for-connectivity."

He also underscores the need for lower navigation charges, lower cost of fuel, besides concession and subsidy if the airline business is to survive.

Fresh into a new bonhomie with Kingfisher boss Vijay Mallya (they are partners in the F1 team Sahara Force India), Roy is in favour of the government bailing out the ailing airline because of the same economic necessity-connectivity. "There will be chaos if it is allowed to fail," he said and added quite radically that the government should also regulate the sector more to ensure that there are less players in the sector, so that they do not bleed to compete. An opponent of the open skies policy, which brought flying closer to the common man, he does not see reason in the argument that competition actually helps consumers bring down prices.

Roy by his own admission is most passionate about the media business (he is also launching tablets) but he beams as we change direction towards Dhaka. "We are going into Bangladesh in a big way. I have finalized work of Rs 80,000 crore. It is a country, where we have lots to do. I have sent the proposal to the Bangladesh PM for the New Dhaka project and hope to meet her next month." He is not asking much from the government either . "Give us a sovereign guarantee and we will not need money. We have selected 40 sq km of land, 50 km from Dhaka and it is available to us. We will get the land, build our own structures and sell it," he said. Sahara, which has real estate assets worth Rs 85,000 crore (according to the Sahara web site), also built a hill station in Maharashtra from scratch--Amby Valley.

Apart from Bangladesh, Sahara is also scouting for mining and exploration assets in Africa. Roy says that since most industrialists have to spend 50% of their productive time managing the system and chasing clearances, most of them are of the view that it's easier to do business outside India. Quizzed if he wants to opt out of the country he maintained a stoic defence: "I will stay and fight the system."

Banking is something strategic for the group as it has experience in dealing with deposits of people and naturally wants a licence. "We are the only company to have dealt with 5 crore people where no bank reaches. We have sent a proposal to the Reserve Bank of India seeking a licence", he said.

The action on retail will begin in March where it plans to invest Rs 17,000 crore. "We plan to set up one lakh organized distribution centres and the first such centre will come up in Rajasthan next month. They will work as modern kirana stores," he said.

This would be followed by an entry into the education sector, sometime in 2013. "We will enter in a big way by setting up universities, distance education centres but at the centre of it would be a project to take English to our villages. "Only 2-3 % of population know English, and is a big opportunity to bring people from all strata into the mainstream ," he said without providing any other details.

For most of its proposed businesses in India, it plans to leverage on its field staff earlier involved in para banking and its network of 4800 offices all over the country.

Despite his conflicts with regulators-Sebi and RBI-over various issues recently and ongoing court cases, Roy is in a zone of his own. He is writing a book, which he describes as a philosophical , cultural and emotional experience.

To be released later this year, its named quite simply--Life is too Beautiful, Learn it to Love it.

This is utter disrespect to Bangladesh. I ask f*** Hasina, do u love your country more or family? No company, I mean no company should be allowed. They want soverighty in that land. That means bangladesh will have no control over that land. The company will do what ever they want to do. There will be a little india in bangladesh, until all are sold. The Gov. of bangladesh will earn nothing, I think so. All the cast that will come from selling, all will go to India. I just hope that bangladesh doesn't allow this.

Kngfisher asking for a bailout.

I will never support Indian Govt to provide "Sovereign Guarantee" to Sahara. Why should I ask the same to GOB?

And CLAUSE?? You made me cry...You dont know how corporates works.

Oh I made you cry! Sowieeee!! Let me offer you a virtual tissue, are you feeling better now? Do you need a glass of water?

Ah okay, now pray tell me, Dear sir, How does corporate work? Why is it not possible for bd govt to tell Sahara that she will only provide guarantee if the money invested in Bangladesh?

How does kingfisher asking for bailout increases the risk of Sahara defaulting? Do I see a straw man here?

As far as my country is concerned, well I'd not mind goi giving sovereign guarantee for infra projects.

Anyway if you guys think the deal is bad then reject it, i dont own Sahara nor would I mind if the city never gets built.

This is utter disrespect to Bangladesh. I ask f*** Hasina, do u love your country more or family? No company, I mean no company should be allowed. They want soverighty in that land. That means bangladesh will have no control over that land. The company will do what ever they want to do. There will be a little india in bangladesh, until all are sold. The Gov. of bangladesh will earn nothing, I think so. All the cast that will come from selling, all will go to India. I just hope that bangladesh doesn't allow this.

A classic Bangladeshi post! :lol:

My God. Are are there any Bangladeshi's who know economics or what the heck- even common sense- ?
This post has to be one of the top 10 of this forum on both stupidity and ignorance!

Do you read the word 'India' and spout some fixed templates stored in your computer? 'hasina, earn nothing, disrespect, etc' Please try to increase your IQ by atleast a few dozen points before posting next time.

Aww C'mon!

There's India all around BD anyways. You might as well have some of India inside BD, why not? ;)

My God. Are are there any Bangladeshi's who know economics or what the heck- even common sense- ?
This post has to be one of the top 10 of this forum on both stupidity and ignorance!

Do you read the word 'India' and spout some fixed templates stored in your computer? 'hasina, earn nothing, disrespect, etc' Please try to increase your IQ by atleast a few dozen points before posting next time.

...................................................................................................................................

poor poor indan got angry. Yes I agree with you I know nothing about economics or business. I ask you,
1. where will the company pay tax after selling the structures?
2. After selling the structures, whose Remitance will increase Bangladesh or India's?
3. Who's gonna be richer? Bangladeshis or Indians?

poor poor indan got angry. Yes I agree with you I know nothing about economics or business. I ask you,
1. where will the company pay tax after selling the structures?
2. Whose Remitance will increase Bangladesh or India's?
3. Who's gonna be richer? Bangladeshis or Indians?

Ok, then I will give you an example. There are Toyota manufacturing plants in US and other countries. What ever money they make, first they use it to pay the bills and then the left over profit is sent back to Japan where the main headquarter is. Then the money is redistributed. So yes the money they make in BD will come back to India, since its an Indian company. Doesn't take a genius to realize it. If you want to make BD richer stop relying on other countries for manufacturing and create your own. As for taxes, it depends on you countries tax law, it not India's fault that your country doesn't charges any foreign corporation.

Ok, then I will give you an example. There are Toyota manufacturing plants in US and other countries. What ever money they make, first they use it to pay the bills and then the left over profit is sent back to Japan where the main headquarter is. Then the money is redistributed. So yes the money they make in BD will come back to India, since its an Indian company. Doesn't take a genius to realize it. If you want to make BD richer stop relying on other countries for manufacturing and create your own. As for taxes, it depends on you countries tax law, it not India's fault that your country doesn't charges any foreign corporation.

You are comparing Indian company with Toyota and india with north america???!!!:rofl::rofl:

Bangladeshi public or Gov. didn't ask your company to build new Dhaka.

So you agree that Bd gov isn't getting taxes and your remitance will go high, not bangladesh's.

How about the quality of the new city? Will you guarantee it will be like some first world country?

Why do they want guarantee of sovereignty in a free country? If they really in good intention, they wouldn't ask for it.

You are comparing Indian company with Toyota and india with north america???!!!:rofl::rofl:

Bangladeshi public or Gov. didn't ask your company to build new Dhaka.

So you agree that Bd gov isn't getting taxes and your remitance will go high, not bangladesh's.

How about the quality of the new city? Will you guarantee it will be like some first world country?

Its a free market, companies look for profit, why the hell would they pay a country that it doesn't even belong to, use some commonsense for a change. If you Government didn't ask the company to build, then whats the big issue. And again as for the taxes, its your country and your problem that you don't ask foreign corporation to pay taxes.

There should be kill switch installed, and bug the whole village.

We don't need to, after all we run their govt.. Come whatever govt, they will serve, and in return get their dalali so no need to waste time in planting a kill switch or a bug..

Back
Top Bottom