What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

The image of cockpit model of 4th generation fighter.

FC-31.jpg

Last edited:
To admit, IMO that does not look like a working cockpit, more like a mock-up. :unsure:

The cockpit is working. Just take a look at the camera screen, the cockpit merely hasn't been installed in a jet yet.

Even if it was already chosen as the next generation carrier fighter, for it to be on the first 003 is almost impossible. Maybe on later variants 10 years down the line ... but the development cycle is long. And so far, we haven't gotten the results of the next gen tender yet ...

Cirr means the FC-31 will be navalized on the now in construction 003 CATOBAR carrier

Not necessarily; the current FC-31 prototype (#2) is more or less a close representation of what the final production variant will be. Modifications to the landing gear and wings for carrier operations will not take long and will probably be completed by the time the 003 is commissioned (~2023).

... Modifications to the landing gear and wings for carrier operations will not take long and will probably be completed by the time the 003 is commissioned (~2023).

... or were probably included into the design right from the beginning.

No, I don't think so; if you compare the planform of the FC-31 vs the F-35C, it's evident that further changes are still needed.

No, I don't think so; if you compare the planform of the FC-31 vs the F-35C, it's evident that further changes are still needed.
No sir @Deino sir is absolutely on the spot, it has no wing folding mechanism, need to increase wing span/area, and rear of the fuselage should be redesigned according to carrier ops

Not necessarily; the current FC-31 prototype (#2) is more or less a close representation of what the final production variant will be. Modifications to the landing gear and wings for carrier operations will not take long and will probably be completed by the time the 003 is commissioned (~2023).
I think it's overly optimistic to have the FC-31 (assuming it has already won the tender) to be operational on the first 003 carrier, which is set to launch in 2020. Maybe on later variants, but given PLAN conservatism and the developmental obstacles likely to come, I highly suspect J-15 CATOBAR variant will be the mainstay of carrier aviation for years to come. For the FC-31 to become the next generation carrier fighter, it needs to have suitable engines ... which the WS-13/RD-93 currently does not offer.

We don't have any evidence of that yet. Heck, we don't even have evidence the FC-31 has the edge in the naval tender. Last I heard, it seems that the J-20 has the edge ... unless the FC-31 finds suitable engines in time, I doubt its prospects. Besides, we have only seen the J-15 CATOBAR variant conducting tests on the steam and EM catapult ... no FC-31 yet.

Back
Top Bottom