What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

NATO or non-NATO is not even an argument in that discussion and once again You try to divert this topic ... The problem is only, if I make a list of arguments and answer one by another it will be more than one argument that was already too much for You to understand if I remind You on the Y-20/WS-18-discussion yesterday.
Why do u think it not a discussion? As if turkey is not pressurize not to buy China HQ-9 SAM system. The amount of political pressure and backlash is for all to see. No NATO countries are allowed to buy China weapon system even the weapon is gold. The biased and hatre by west against China is widespread.

Same as FC-31 fighter are not allowed to be serve in NATO service.

upload_2017-6-21_5-11-41.png

China launched the global marketing of its FC-31 stealth fighter jet that costs about US$70 million, about half the price of the Lockheed Martin F-35, at Paris Air Show 2017.

"We expect that the plane's price will be around $70 million, about half that of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II from the US, which is the only fifth-generation fighter jet available on the market from the US, which only sells it to allies." Fu Qianshao, an aircraft expert with the PLA Air Force was quoted as saying by China Daily Tuesday.

Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) has displayed a model of the FC-31 on display at the 52nd International Paris Air Show, held at at Paris-Le Bourget Airport.

China decided to tap the well-advanced countries’ military aircraft market with the domestically developed FC-31 stealth fighter jet, the plane's chief designer Lin Peng of AVIC's subsidiary Shenyang Aircraft Design and Research Institute said.

“The FC-31 has received a lot of attention from potential foreign buyers.” he said Monday. This has been the first time the aircraft firm brought its latest stealth fighter jet to a Western air show and the second time for the FC-31 to be shown at a foreign exhibition. The first was at the 14th Dubai Airshow in the United Arab Emirates in November 2015.

"We will strive to use the fifth-generation combat plane to seize some share in the military aircraft market of developed nations," Lin said.

FC-31's appearance in Paris is intended to showoff China's capabilities in the research and development of advanced military aircraft.

The intention is to enable major buyers to know more about the plane so they can communicate "in-depth" with AVIC about the fighter jet,

Though the FC-31 is not yet in production, the firm believes that the external features of the plane is likely to generate interest that could lead to sales.

The air show is also a suitable occasion for the Chinese stealth fighter jet to compete with its counterparts, the designer added.

The FC-31 was unveiled in October 2012 as a twin-engine, radar-evading fighter jet. At that time, the first prototype had made its maiden flight, becoming the country's second fifth-generation fighter jet following the J-20, which made its first flight in January 2011. The People's Liberation Army Air Force has begun to receive deliveries of the J-20.

Lin said the FC-31 features high survivability, a low radar signature, supreme electronic countermeasures, high information capacity, situation awareness and beyond-visual-range combat capability.

The aircraft has a large weapon bay and several external hard points that are capable of carrying Chinese-or foreign-made air-to-air missiles and air-to-surface weapons, he said.

Specifications from AVIC show the FC-31 has a maximum takeoff weight of 25 metric tons, a combat range of 1,200 km and a top speed of Mach 1.8, or 2,205 kilometers per hour. It can carry 8 metric tons of weapons and has a designed service life of up to 30 years.

Li Yuhai, deputy general manager of AVIC, said earlier that AVIC plans to use the FC-31 to "put an end to some nations' monopolies on the fifth-generation fighter jet" and this plane "is able to compete with any other aircraft of its kind".
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/19..._of_US_F_35__Paris_Air_Show_2017#.WUm5dRN95fQ

It is very clear that V2 has got end users, probably PLAN/PLAAF. So SAC isn't in a hurry to promote V2, instead display V1 to walk it through. And the timing of exporting stealthy fighter is not matured yet, we need to have a deep consideration about it. These stealthy fighter only goes to trusted ally or friends.

The sales strategy has changed from aggressive to moderate.

I'm waiting for PAF placing orders.

J31 is a perfect design, I mean serious.

There is a unwritten rule in China: once you received purchasing orders from the army, you won't be able to promote it without army's permission. It's been classified, that's a good sign for me. If any close ally want it, we will talk in house.

And very clear that the only trusted ally is Pakistan. If PLAN/PLAAF placing orders, the it takes many years to fulfill it.

As to Saudi, I still have a question mark on it.

@The SC Rumor said Saudi had invested 1 billions USD in FC31. Still not confirmed.

It is very clear that V2 has got end users, probably PLAN/PLAAF. So SAC isn't in a hurry to promote V2, instead display V1 to walk it through. And the timing of exporting stealthy fighter is not matured yet, we need to have a deep consideration about it. These stealthy fighter only goes to trusted ally or friends.

The sales strategy has changed from aggressive to moderate.

I'm waiting for PAF placing orders.

J31 is a perfect design, I mean serious.

There is a unwritten rule in China: once you received purchasing orders from the army, you won't be able to promote it without army's permission. It's been classified, that's a good sign for me. If any close ally want it, we will talk in house.

And very clear that the only trusted ally is Pakistan. If PLAN/PLAAF placing orders, the it takes many years to fulfill it.

As to Saudi, I still have a question mark on it.

@The SC Rumor said Saudi had invested 1 billions USD in FC31. Still not confirmed.
Not confirmed, but it is a possibility, since the UAE signed a deal with Russia to develop a light weight 5th generation stealth fighter, which indicate GCC's looking (also) east for their 5th generation fighters..

AVIC will concentrate more of FC-31 effort in Middle East or South America market.
no, Europe and some other places```surely, Pakistan will have all the priority````anyway`I know they (European and SAC) have walked and talked about this`:D```but whether they can lower down their policial and "dignity" agenda its all up to them``` :lol:

no, Europe and some other places```surely, Pakistan will have all the priority````anyway`I know they (European and SAC) have walked and talked about this`:D```but whether they can lower down their policial and "dignity" agenda its all up to them``` :lol:
Wat those European can bring on the table for exchange?

Not confirmed, but it is a possibility, since the UAE signed a deal with Russia to develop a light weight 5th generation stealth fighter, which indicate GCC's looking (also) east for their 5th generation fighters..
Sometimes I just wonder why Saudi trust China?

Currently PAF shoot down Iran's UAV has shown its attitude.

There are some deep strategic interests shared by the two.. Oil supply is at the forefront as well as other commercial economic, industrial. military, scientific and cultural links, JVs and deals..It is also due to the central role that KSA plays in the Arab Muslim world which can open many doors to China in the region and worldwide.. think always of a win-win relationship, it just suites both and makes them trust each other for the sake of common interests.. the partnership might seem new, but the two cultures have had strategic relationships for millennia..

Last edited:
Wat those European can bring on the table for exchange?

Currently PAF shoot down Iran's UAV has shown its attitude.
still have some we need to learn, especially like designing software, Optical, metallurgy and precision engineering stuff. even the States cant touch them in these fields`````

what China and U.S good at is complex system engineering, system integration, advanced structural desgin and long term project management`````the latter doesnt sound very tech savvy does it? :lol: ```however, thats how it makes us the only two countries that can develop state-of-art 5th gen fighter jets, turbofan engines, warships, submarines, ACs, tanks and space shuttles on our own```

What I feel proud is China can produce every single bit of J20 on our own! Only China is doing it!

USA outsource many sub-system of F35 to foreign partners.

One major advantage of outsourcing is the production speed will be faster than doing all the things in house alone. The shortcoming is the industrial capability of certain fields will shrink.

One major advantage of buying Chinese stealthy fighter is you only need to deal with China for all the maintenance and parts supplies! Sanction free and no strings attached.

Only China can do it!

I'm expecting FC31 of hot sale.

What I feel proud is China can produce every single bit of J20 on our own! Only China is doing it!

USA outsource many sub-system of F35 to foreign partners.

One major advantage of outsourcing is the production speed will be faster than doing all the things in house alone. The shortcoming is the industrial capability of certain fields will shrink.

One major advantage of buying Chinese stealthy fighter is you only need to deal with China for all the maintenance and parts supplies! Sanction free and no strings attached.

Only China can do it!

The CoCom, Wassenaar Arrangement, are blessings! From metallurgy (e.g. SC superalloy) to machine tools (e.g. CNC), from chemicals (& composites, ceramics) to semiconductors, China has to develop a full spectrum of all foundation industries. It takes time to build a full-fledged industrial complex but it's worth the efforts.

To admit I wish but right now I'm still sceptical: Without a product being finished, tested and proved no Air Force will take the risk of being the launch customer especially if the PLA will not openly commit to that type.

Most will wait ... and even for 70 Mio $ this thing is still not cheap as long as it is not mature.

Anyway ... I wish all the best.
Deino

To admit I wish but right now I'm still sceptical: Without a product being finished, tested and proved no Air Force will take the risk of being the launch customer especially if the PLA will not openly commit to that type.

Most will wait ... and even for 70 Mio $ this thing is still not cheap as long as it is not mature.

Anyway ... I wish all the best.
Deino
F35 is not battle proven as well. And PLAN will be the launch customer.

Back
Top Bottom