What's new

Russian think tank calls for sale of Su-35 fighters to Pakistan

The first thing Pakistanis can do with the Russians is get a direct supply of RD-93 engines. Whole of the PAF will be dependent on those engines as the JF-17 will form the base of PAF. With a service life of about 2000 hrs, they sure will need a lot of supply of those engines. Assuming PAF trains approx 3 pilots on a JF-17 with approx 200 hrs per pilot/yr thats 600 hrs of an engine life and approx 3 1/2 yrs per plane. With initial run of 150 units thats a lot of engines required.

Su's and MiG's may come later too.

The first thing Pakistanis can do with the Russians is get a direct supply of RD-93 engines. Whole of the PAF will be dependent on those engines as the JF-17 will form the base of PAF. With a service life of about 2000 hrs, they sure will need a lot of supply of those engines. Assuming PAF trains approx 3 pilots on a JF-17 with approx 200 hrs per pilot/yr thats 600 hrs of an engine life and approx 3 1/2 yrs per plane. With initial run of 150 units thats a lot of engines required.

Su's and MiG's may come later too.
That is already happenning. I think SU35 is unlikely as is EFT due to cost restraints at the moment. If we start looking at induction in 2022- 24 J20/J31 will be ready so why not go for it for a significant material and quality advantage. I think this is the dilemma facing PAF. I think if J20 is unavailable and China cannot export J16 only then will we be looking at EFT. So while we do our homework we need to sit itght and induct Block3 first and reassess our sutuation once the bird is at least in our hands and flying.
A

Last edited:
If PAF buys modernized SU-35 would actually be one of the great purchases. New platform, new techniques, new weapons, new knowledge. It will give the much needed technical enhancement in PAC industry and overall fill the gap of a long range strategic fighter.

With SU-35 induction, Rd-93, and other aviation design items will relatively easily come to Pakistan from Russia.

Our whole western-Chinese LLR network is prone to jamming.

If PAF buys Su35 we can get 24/36 fighters in 1 Billion $ where as EF would cost 2 billion $ to get a sizable fleet of 24/36.

Mirages will be gone in next 10 years and we need its replacement , 50% of Mirages fleet will be replaced by JFT and the rest of 50% is issue, Su 30 cant be upgraded to the level of Su 35 . Just like su 27 and Su 30.
once u get into details of Su 35 u will see how much it differs from Su 27 and Su 30.
One option can be to buy J 16's , J 16 is interesting platform and russians cant pressurize chines like J 11 .
our F 16 AM/BM may have got upgrade but there airframes are 35 years old which may only survive till 2030 after that they will have same fate as F 7's and Mirages (Crashes and causalities ) . But its not odd for paf and iaf feilding same platform against each other starting from Canberas-B 57 to Mig 21 - F 7.
It entirely depends upon budget then anything else , EFT trench 3 is a beast but have we got 2 billion $ to get a sizeable fleet of 24/36 , In case of Su 35 we can get 24/36 fighters in 1 Billion $.
Another thing is we need to replace our whole LLR's network first which is as of now prone to jamming .

Just like an F16 A/B with MLU can only get close to a F-16 C/D through upgrades but not be one, the SU-30 can get close to SU-35. The flying characteristics will more or less remain the same in many aspects of warfare.

EFT is a completely different plane.

AsssssYoooouThirtyyyyyyFaiiiiv
Don't ever trust urdu media in defence matters.

Just like an F16 A/B with MLU can only get close to a F-16 C/D through upgrades but not be one, the SU-30 can get close to SU-35. The flying characteristics will more or less remain the same in many aspects of warfare.

There is a change of airframe as well. And that was my point

In which perspective u r saying?

Not sure about this news, but it has made the rounds.
If the PAF had the funds they would have gone for the Typhoon which as offered by the UK and Italy, and I might add is still on offer. Air Marshal Sohial Aman flew the jet as a treat and described it as a dream to fly, as have other PAF pilots who talked about how incredible the jet is. Aside the F-35 it is the best out there.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-chief-flies-the-typhoon.406946/

But funds don't permit it, the same for the SU-35.

PAF will be flying a Chinese fifth generation platform.

Not sure about this news, but it has made the rounds.
If the PAF had the funds they would have gone for the Typhoon which as offered by the UK and Italy, and I might add is still on offer. Air Marshal Sohial Aman flew the jet as a treat and described it as a dream to fly, as have other PAF pilots who talked about how incredible the jet is. Aside the F-35 it is the best out there.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-chief-flies-the-typhoon.406946/

But funds don't permit it, the same for the SU-35.

PAF will be flying a Chinese fifth generation platform.
Paf will have one Westren 5th or 4.5 gen platform as well.

People need to focus on few developments which have taken place in past few days. First out of no where SU-35 news comes in our main papers like The News and Jang. Than our Caretaker PM visits PAF Office and is briefed by PAF on some serious matter. And Now Russian Deputy Defense minister is here.

@Path-Finder @waz @Arsalan @Horus @Oscar

I thought they rejected to give Pakistan latest version of SU-35 instead they were offering scaled down version

Which Pakistan backed away.... Saw some thread here ...

It never came down to rejection or acceptance. It was preliminary discussion on the subject. Russians have been pushing for sale of standard version of Su-35 to most countries interested in buying it. Pakistan wants more modern and advance avionics, predominantly AESA radar, which the Russians up until now were holding back on because of Su-57. They did not want their existing lead aircraft to compete with their future aircraft in both domestic and international markets. But as the future of Su-57 starts to look bleak aviation experts suggest transferring some of those new technologies to Su-35. The question of selling them at this stage to a foreign and a non-partner (or not-yet-partner, or budding-partner) country will however continue to persist for Russians.

BUT, the Su-35 continues to hang around in Russia-Pakistan rapprochement dialogue process. Essentially, I think the final outcome on Su-35 could depend on the upcoming PTI government. Gazprom has been patiently holding on to its billions of dollars worth investment proposal in Pakistan since the last PPP government. Even Putin was willing to visit if Pakistan agreed to commit. The PML-N government doesn't appear to have done much about it either. But the proposal has been revisited and negotiated in the last year or so & its reported value is around $10 billion. If this deal is concluded it could in theory open flood gates for much larger defence cooperation.

Russia and Pakistan playing games with India since long time to pressure India to buy more Russian weapons but this is not the case they are going to sell their top jets free.....plus Russia and Pakistan both knows they are not going to purchase or sell any thing other than Helos....it is just a Psycho game....neither we have budget or will to buy these jets.....

PAF can buy jets in small trenches.

People need to focus on few developments which have taken place in past few days. First out of no where SU-35 news comes in our main papers like The News and Jang. Than our Caretaker PM visits PAF Office and is briefed by PAF on some serious matter. And Now Russian Deputy Defense minister is here.

@Path-Finder @waz @Arsalan @Horus @Oscar
Assume all of this is true but Pakistan is currently in its worst financial crisis since inception. So where is the money?

I think MIG-35 will be more suitable than Su-35 for Pakistan

Mig have QC issues compared to Su series, also to tackle IN and to deliver heavy pay load deep inside enemy territory PAF need something in class of Su-35 although in my opinion Su-57 should be reviewed to fill 4++ gen bird requirements.

Assume all of this is true but Pakistan is currently in its worst financial crisis since inception. So where is the money?
I don't know about the money but what I have heard is PAF wants Nasrul Mulk to make a decision before Imran takes over

I don't know about the money but what I have heard is PAF wants Nasrul Mulk to make a decision before Imran takes over
They cannot, its 3 days to go and there is no money. PAF will have to shut up and eat grass like the rest of us for a long time and hope the nuclear weapons keep everyone at bay.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom