What's new

Russian shipyard to deliver third frigate to India

David James

BANNED
Reaction score
Russian shipyard to deliver third frigate to India

(Xinhua)
09:04, June 26, 2013

SAINT PETERSBURG, June 25 (Xinhua) -- Russia's Yantar Shipyard said Tuesday that it will hand over on Saturday the last of the three frigates it contracted to build for India.

The handover ceremony of frigate Trikand will be attended by Indian naval officers and diplomats as well as representatives of the Russian Ministry of Industry and Trade, said the Kaliningrad shipmaker.

The first two vessels under the 1.6-billion-U.S.-dollar contract, Teg and Tarkash, were delivered in April and November 2012.

Russian media reported that the new frigates are each equipped with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles and an antisubmarine warfare helicopter, among others.

Russian shipyard to deliver third frigate to India - People's Daily Online

I hope they modify follow on order of 3 frigates to 3 admiral gorshkov class,thats a far superior platform.

India will have 3 shivalik,7 upgraded shivalik,6 talwar,3 brahmaputra.19 frigates and hopefully a follow on order.
Need to replace 3 godavari class-For this i think we should choose gorshkov instead of follow on 3 talwars.

Total then we would have around 22 frigates.
AS for destroyer.Rajput class will be replaced by follow on bangaluru class destroyer.
We should have 3 modernized delhi,3 kolkata and 4 bengaluru class for total 10 destroyers.

4+8 kamorta and p-28 A heavy corvette[light frigate] will be primary dedicated ASW platform.
Supporting 4 existing guided missile corvettes of kora class.Rest of corvttes are crap obsolete and need replacement.
We could consider a few russian grymasischy class if necessary.

Delhi class needs upgrade to shtil-1 from base shtil minimum.more modern sensors and upgrade of armament of 16 kh-35 to either kh-35 UE or better brahmos/klub.
We should get an AEGIS like system on some of the project 17 a frigates to compliment the kolkata class in fleet air defence role.

Kolkata class destroyers will have AEGIS like system onboard

The indigenous combat management system was originally codenamed MEDINA Mark-II while
under development at DRDO.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

what, what u guys talking about AEGIS wanna be like or truly AEGIS like? input , need more input please :)

Does kolkata class have sensors capable of cooperative threat engagement like AEGIS?Otherwise we definitely could look towards aegis.

NO. Who tells you this BS ?!

Does kolkata class have sensors capable of cooperative threat engagement like AEGIS?Otherwise we definitely could look towards aegis.

And then what? We will put all systems in to American hands, we will have to share everything related to it to them and they can switch it off whenever they like to...

I doubt that the IN or GOI will ever allow that.

The indigenous combat management system was originally codenamed MEDINA Mark-II while
under development at DRDO.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Original project name was EMDINA.Renamed "MEDINA" after joint partnership of TATA SED and WESEE(weapons & electronic systems engineering establishment) has different versions of CMS,Shivalik FFG got the first version and project 15a got upgraded version.

CMS "EMDINA" aka "MEDINA" is a follow-on version of "EMCCA" aka "MECCA" CMS which were used on previous DDG's.

I remember reading on another forum that "CMS-17",another name for MEDINA,will be similar to AEGIS system.

Guys got to know Kolkata class is 8000 tons! Whoa!

163-meter, 8,000-ton Project 15A Kolkata-class destroyers with an advanced Elta MF-STAR multifunction radar and the new Indo-Israeli Barak 8 long range surface to air missile (LRSAM), also from MDL, and;

Original project name was EMDINA.Renamed "MEDINA" after joint partnership of TATA SED and WESEE(weapons & electronic systems engineering establishment) has different versions of CMS,Shivalik FFG got the first version and project 15a got upgraded version.

CMS "EMDINA" aka "MEDINA" is a follow-on version of "EMCCA" aka "MECCA" CMS which were used on previous DDG's.

I remember reading on another forum that "CMS-17",another name for MEDINA,will be similar to AEGIS system.

Wow! nice naming, I like the name Makka and Madina... :P

Is there any hidden reason behind such naming..:P

Guys got to know Kolkata class is 8000 tons! Whoa!

163-meter, 8,000-ton Project 15A Kolkata-class destroyers with an advanced Elta MF-STAR multifunction radar and the new Indo-Israeli Barak 8 long range surface to air missile (LRSAM), also from MDL, and;

Hail Indian NAVY... IN is only branch which is looking good in shape.. In next 10-15 years IN will be most powerful branch of armed forces..

I think IN should get 10-12 (squd of) Land based fighter planes as well (to support weak IAF). 6 LCA Squadron, 2 MKI Squadron, 2 Rafale Squadron...

NO. Who tells you this BS ?!

And then what? We will put all systems in to American hands, we will have to share everything related to it to them and they can switch it off whenever they like to...

I doubt that the IN or GOI will ever allow that.

Having AEGIS on couple of upgraded shivaliks could be a option if we can work out agreement with USA,if kolkata class doesn't have cooperative threat engagement ability.Another option is british sampson/astor system in type 45 destroyers.In any case with such a huge surface fleet we need serious fleet air defence with dediacted air defence ships,IN right now concentartes much on anti surface and anti ship duty but with threat of chinese CBGs and pakistan getting air launched cruise missiles we now need robust ability of thsi type,and i mean the very best.Loss of any major surface warship is huge blow to prestige and morale.

Having AEGIS on couple of upgraded shivaliks could be a option if we can work out agreement with USA,if kolkata class doesn't have cooperative threat engagement ability.Another option is british sampson/astor system in type 45 destroyers.In any case with such a huge surface fleet we need serious fleet air defence with dediacted air defence ships,IN right now concentartes much on anti surface and anti ship duty but with threat of chinese CBGs and pakistan getting air launched cruise missiles we now need robust ability of thsi type,and i mean the very best.Loss of any major surface warship is huge blow to prestige and morale.

MF-STAR and BARAK NG looks promising enough right now. And Shivaliks already have that combination and the upgradation will involve the integration of the Barak MR SAM.

shivalik.jpg

And Shivalik is a frigate intended to fight other ships and subs. And most of it's air defence weaponry will only be for self protection. So I still think having a air defence destroyer is the way to go for fleet defence.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom