What's new

Russian sailors of INS Vikramaditya roam naked on Karwar beach, cops in a tizzy

They are not doing anything illegal, and are not harassing or threatening anyone so nothing wrong.They are simply enjoying their time in a warmer climate on the beach which is rare in Russia.

That's not true, public nudity is illegal in India. It shouldn't be, but it is.

You are right. We should all be walking naked on the streets.

I am sure you would have trained your daughter to walk around naked in public just to prove you are not a uptight Victorian prude.

If everybody walked naked, but did not harass each other, it would still be a better society than the one we have currently, with rapes and sexual assaults and harassment everywhere.

If everybody walked naked, but did not harass each other, it would still be a better society than the one we have currently, with rapes and sexual assaults and harassment everywhere.

It would also be nice if everybody shared their wealth, we did not have geographical boundaries and world peace. :angel:

It would also be nice if everybody shared their wealth, we did not have geographical boundaries and world peace. :angel:

I don't know if sharing wealth is a good thing. But yes, open boundaries and world peace would be great, as would a society where nobody sexually assaulted or harassed others.

I don't know if sharing wealth is a good thing. But yes, open boundaries and world peace would be great, as would a society where nobody sexually assaulted or harassed others.

As long as we are discussing hypothetical scenarios ...why limit ourselves......it would be nice if I win 100 million $ :D

What a bunch of uptight prudes we are!

To be fair, there are perfectly non-prudish reasons to oppose public nudity -- hygiene being a big one.

I, for one, don't fancy sitting on a park bench or a bus seat after some fat slob -- or any slob -- had his hair and sweaty 'package' on it.

As long as we are discussing hypothetical scenarios ...why limit ourselves......it would be nice if I win 100 million $ :D

You were the one who brought in the hypotheticals about world peace. I did not get the point. Anyway my point as that your rant against @Joe Shearer and the rhetorical question about his daughter was misplaced. He is right that there is nothing wrong about naked people, as long as they mind their own business. Clothed people who harass others are a menace to society.

To be fair, there are perfectly non-prudish reasons to oppose public nudity -- hygiene being a big one.

I, for one, don't fancy sitting on a park bench or a bus seat after some fat slob -- or any slob -- had his hair and sweaty behind on it.

Would you fancy sitting on a bus seat after a sweating but clothed slob sat on it? I mean, sweat percolates through clothes, does it not? Clothes are overrated.

Would you fancy sitting on a bus seat after a sweating but clothed slob sat on it? I mean, sweat percolates through clothes, does it not? Clothes are overrated.

It's all relative.

Imagine picking up a few stray hairs left behind by previous occupants -- and whatever else is on them.

Given a choice between these two seats, I know which one I would chose every time -- no contest!

It's all relative.

Given a choice between these two seats, I know which one I would chose every time -- no contest!

I know what you would choose. But the reason has nothing to do with hygene, but the fact that you are not used to seeing naked people on bus seats. You are used to seeing clothed people, and have accepted it as the norm, and nakedness as an aberration. If you lived in a society where nobody wears clothes, then you would find a clothed person ludicrous, and possibly consider him a creep for hanging strage stuff all over himself.

There is a passage in Mark Twains's "Letters from the earth", in which Satan visits the earth and writes letters to heaven, where he and the angels have a laugh about how funny people look in clothes. It is about perception, what you have been taught to accept as "normal" and what as "abnormal".

I know what you would choose. But the reason has nothing to do with hygene, but the fact that you are not used to seeing naked people on bus seats.

Well, I am not doctor so I don't know the science behind it.

I know that germs prefer hot, moist areas and that underarm and pubic area tend to get hottest and moistest.

Well, I am not doctor so I don't know the science behind it.

I know that germs prefer hot, moist areas and that underarm and pubic area tend to get hottest and moistest.

That might explain where germs live. But how they spread is a different issue. Most germs spread through the air from breathing - but we don't advocate a burqa as a way of avoiding airborne germs. (Not that it would work anyway - germs especially viruses are too small to be trapped in cloth.)

Also, wearing sleeveles blouses is not considered indecent, but wearing no blouse at all is. Although germs might prefer the armpit.

The point is, it really has very little to do with hygene. It is about our preconceived notions of decency. If it was about hygene, then making the cities cleaner and proper waste management would go a long way in addressing public health. There is a reason why people seldom catch a cold or other infectious diseases like malaria in the US, but catch all sorts of nasty diseases each time the wind changes direction in India. (Speaking from personal experience.) Piling garbage on the roads, open sewers, mosquitoes and flies, these are the issues that need to be tackled to improve public health. Oh, and stopping people from spitting on the roadside and that sort of thing. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little interest in that direction.

@janon @Developereo

You didn't consider this as the affirmation as the Russian stereotype of being boozers :lol:

T Piling garbage on the roads, open sewers, mosquitoes and flies, these are the issues that need to be tackled to improve public health. Oh, and stopping people from spitting on the roadside and that sort of thing. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little interest in that direction.

And the sanitation issues seems to have gotten worse, as cities fail to cope up with the influx of rural to urban migration.

That might explain where germs live. But how they spread is a different issue. Most germs spread through the air from breathing - but we don't advocate a burqa as a way of avoiding airborne germs. (Not that it would work anyway - germs especially viruses are too small to be trapped in cloth.)

It's a matter of eliminating unnecessary contamination. We can't stop breathing, but we can require people to cover their pubic area.

I don't want to take it on faith that the other person cleaned themselves properly after going to the bathroom.

If they didn't clean themselves, and left behind some pubic hair (or other deposits) afterwards, that is a major health risk.

Also, wearing sleeveles blouses is not considered indecent, but wearing no blouse at all is. Although germs might prefer the armpit.

Most women in the West shave their armpits. Hairy armpits are most certainly considered indecent and unhygienic (at least outside Europe).

Last edited:
You were the one who brought in the hypotheticals about world peace. I did not get the point. Anyway my point as that your rant against @Joe Shearer and the rhetorical question about his daughter was misplaced. He is right that there is nothing wrong about naked people, as long as they mind their own business. Clothed people who harass others are a menace to society.

He called all of us 'prudes' for being who we are. I just wanted to strike closer to home. Expecting people not to behave as they have been behaving for the last 100,000 years is 'hypothetical' as far as I am concerned.

He called all of us 'prudes' for being who we are. I just wanted to strike closer to home. Expecting people not to behave as they have been behaving for the last 100,000 years is 'hypothetical' as far as I am concerned.

He is not expecting everybody to start being naked in public. The charge of prudery applies to people who feel offended by nudity, or by the human body.

BTW, people did not have the same standards of decency for all those 100,000 years. I can show you photographs from less than a hundred years back, of women being topless in India. A couple of hundred years back, only aristocratic women in South India covered their breasts. The lower castes did not. There are photographs of traditional dance forms where the percussion player (female) isinvariably bare chested.

It was the victorian morals that changed attitudes towards clothing, in many parts of India. Joe is right about that.

He is not expecting everybody to start being naked in public. The charge of prudery applies to people who feel offended by nudity, or by the human body.

BTW, people did not have the same standards of decency for all those 100,000 years. I can show you photographs from less than a hundred years back, of women being topless in India. A couple of hundred years back, only aristocratic women in South India covered their breasts. The lower castes did not. There are photographs of traditional dance forms where the percussion player (female) isinvariably bare chested.

It was the victorian morals that changed attitudes towards clothing, in many parts of India. Joe is right about that.

Well, it is nudity today, and Beatiality the next week!

What? if the homophobes can use that I can, can't I?

Back
Top Bottom