What's new

Russian Navy

Here is photos from today's the ceremony of keel-laying of the Velykiye Luki, third ship in the series of Project 677 Lada diesel-electric submarine.
Admiralty Shipyard factory.
33657_original.jpg

and keel-laying ceremony of fifth Yasen-class nuclear-powered submarine Project 885 "Archangelsk". "SEVMASCH" factory.
Arhangelsk.jpg

Last edited:
It is true that navy will have less ships on the other hand these ships will have more capabilities. But if that is collapse , what is the proper name for what happened to Royal Navy?!

Vertical launch system 3S-14 being installed on "Grigorovich class" frigate

CBlihYcVEAAqgzy.jpg:large
I very much appreciate both the new classes of frigates and the corvettes being built in Russia today, as well as some of the smaller units. But the point is clear: FRS navy faces block obsolescence. It will be a tremendous challenge to maintain an effective force, and this will require significant investments.

I've posted the article above not to disrespect the FRS navy but rather to hear what knowledgeable posters' views on this assessment and the current/near future situation are. Feel free to comment, nuance etc. Please document your responses with verifiable sources where possible.

Russia is wasting time with the surface fleet. It should rather focus on further enhancing its underground military cities like Yamantau. Will be much more useful after the coming nuclear war.

Most of the ships of russian navy which are active now were built in 1980's so most of these ships, considering 40 year life will be out of service in 2020's, so the new build's will not come into service with the pace the ships going out.

Is that the case that it is being predicted that Russian navy will collapse in number of capital ships and subs?

I very much appreciate both the new classes of frigates and the corvettes being built in Russia today, as well as some of the smaller units. But the point is clear: FRS navy faces block obsolescence. It will be a tremendous challenge to maintain an effective force, and this will require significant investments.

I've posted the article above not to disrespect the FRS navy but rather to hear what knowledgeable posters' views on this assessment and the current/near future situation are. Feel free to comment, nuance etc. Please document your responses with verifiable sources where possible.

RF focuses Navy on several things : Navy new role is not being built around need to counter USN but primarily defending Russian coast land and energy lanes, new ships classes with more firepower than contemporary ships of other countries within same class , deterrence is being redistributed to smaller units like project 636 and Lada class with ability to carry new long-range Kalibr missiles though SSBN and SSN will remain backbone of sub fleet , Navy will maintain position on high seas but will not seek domination like in the Cold war.

Back
Top Bottom