What's new

Russian Federation Air Force Chief visits PAF HQs, Air Defence Command

Friendly visit from Russian officials. Nothing fancy here and nothing anti-India in the visit either.
At most, the RD-33 engine may be discussed on an intellectual level. I don't know if the PPP-regime has left any money to actually buy them now.

Which is what Russians are apparently afraid off, and is pushing them over to the Pakistanis.

Actually, India doesn't have a problem with the sale itself, but of it's implications. With the Russians practically handing over 117S engine to the Chinese to take notes from, the Indians are worried the engines of the Su-35 is going to power the J-20 and J-31. Fun fact, the 117S also powers the PAK-FA/FGFA.

Engine-related matters? Perhaps. But Russian birds like MiG-29 and Su-30? Very unlikely.

Pakistan operates a healthy number of Mi-17's by the way.

The Russians would never sell offensive equipment to Pakistan. India is Russia's most important military customer, and they won't endanger that relationship. Pakistan strategically and historically aligning itself with NATO may also be another factor.

And why would the Indians be worried about China having Su-35 technology when China had been operating Su-30's for over a decade? Not to mention licensed production the Su-27SK (J-11) since the 90's?

It wasn't out of the blue; it was a planned courtesy visit and reciprocation, given that both COAS and PAF CAS were in Moscow recently.

Professional matters on Afghanistan strategy and perhaps areas of cooperation would likely be discussed. Wait for ISPR to release a statement.

hahahahha... if u indian have so much trust in your ally(russia) then what are u guys so worried about, russia is not selling anything to us or mending military ties,as indians control the dice then chill out .. it was just a invitation for tea so relaxxxxx..

Engine-related matters? Perhaps. But Russian birds like MiG-29 and Su-30? Very unlikely.

Pakistan operates a healthy number of Mi-17's by the way.

The Russians would never sell offensive equipment to Pakistan. India is Russia's most important military customer, and they won't endanger that relationship. Pakistan strategically and historically aligning itself with NATO may also be another factor.

And why would the Indians be worried about China having Su-35 technology when China had been operating Su-30's for over a decade? Not to mention licensed production the Su-27SK (J-11) since the 90's?

All of your points are actually easy to address.

First off, I never claimed that Pakistan would ever get Russian planes, even if they could, the Pakistanis don't operate Russian fighter jets, so they won't know how to use them effectively. Pakistan has also been receiving Russian engines from China for a while, with Russia being fully aware and not interfering.

Second, yes, I do know that Pakistan operates the Mi-17, it also operates the Mi-35s, but those aren't fighter jets.

Your third point, I do agree to a major degree, but I have to mention that this isn't the cold war era. Russia is willing to do make allies of former foes, and yes, Pakistan was a foe to the former-USSR.

Finally, India isn't worried about the sale of the Su-35 itself, India is worried about the engines on it, the 117S engines. In case you didn't know, the 117S is being used to power the PAK-FA/FGFA, Russia and India's 5th generation fighter. China has for a long time now, been unable to get past certain road blocks quickly enough to build their own engine for the J-20 and J-31, both of which are China's own 5th gen fighters. India is worried that if China gets the 117S engine, China will be able to look at the engine and get past those road blocks very easily, China being India's main competitor for regional dominance, followed by Pakistan who's China's ally and most likely first customer of the J-31, India is worried that this will both force India to boost defense spending, which India doesn't want to do, and will harm it's regional relationship for neighboring nations, while boosting China's. Not to mention that India doesn't want to be surrounded by all sides with nations that are friendly to China and Pakistan, all of whom have next generation fighter air-crafts.

He sat in a JF-17 12-138 as well.

news_detail_img-epaper_id-4211-epaper_page_id-51603-epaper_map_detail_id318842.jpg

I can tell you that many pilots and special guests on Turkey wanted to sit in the JF17. None was allowed. I do remember that during Farnborough Martin Baker people were allowed to sit in the cockpit. Just like the Pakistani Ambassador and his family. But also a journalist... Getting in it is not impossible but to me getting in it means something. You do not allow everyone to see everything. I just think that we are getting some Mig35 equipment that will be offered as JF17 add on equipment. Not for all nations but for PAF which would never have bought Mig29/35 anyway. The Russian earn some more cash, we get a better plane and the Indians will invest more in Pakfa.

I can tell you that many pilots and special guests on Turkey wanted to sit in the JF17. None was allowed. I do remember that during Farnborough Martin Baker people were allowed to sit in the cockpit. Just like the Pakistani Ambassador and his family. But also a journalist... Getting in it is not impossible but to me getting in it means something. You do not allow everyone to see everything. I just think that we are getting some Mig35 equipment that will be offered as JF17 add on equipment. Not for all nations but for PAF which would never have bought Mig29/35 anyway. The Russian earn some more cash, we get a better plane and the Indians will invest more in Pakfa.

An American Pilot had sit in JF-17 and took a photo so what would be the problem not allowing Turkish personnel does it has anything more special than F-16.

Getting in it is not impossible but to me getting in it means something. Please explain.

What mig-35 add on equipment could there be that can be incorporated into JF-17. And why do you think mig-35 and why not J-10B's systems. Unless its ECM/EW suite that would put Pakistan into same situation similar to US inviting sanctions any time.

that guy,117s is the not the engine for the production model pakfa/fgfa actually its the type 30 engine which has more power and is much lighter than 117s going to power the production model of pakfa.117s is just used for pakfa prototypes.

An American Pilot had sit JF-17 and took a photo so what would be the problem not allowing Turkish personnel does it has anything more special than F-16s.

Getting in it is not impossible but to me getting in it means something. Please explain.

What mig-35 add on equipment could there be that can be incorporated into JF-17. And why do you think mig-35 and why not J-10B's systems. Unless its ECM/EW suite that would put Pakistan into same situation similar to US inviting sanctions any time.

If memory serves, the MiG-35 will be sporting a powerful AESA radar.

American F-15 pilot checking out the JF-17:
482984662776b28bb99eb.jpg

Thunder cannot station Mig-35's radar, it can't even station J-10B's radar.

Yea, but just like KLJ7 is the smaller version of KLJ10, the MIG35's radar can be reduced in size, with of course reduction in radar size, power, range and other functions.

At this point anything that makes JF-17 more lethal is welcome.

Yea, but just like KLJ7 is the smaller version of KLJ10, the MIG35's radar can be reduced in size, with of course reduction in radar size, power, range and other functions.

At this point anything that makes JF-17 more lethal is welcome.

Reduce MiG-35's radar size? How the heck are they going to do that? If I'm not mistaken, the Russians haven't started manufacturing AESA radar modules on an industrial scale yet.

MiG-35 is still in development stages by the way.

Back
Top Bottom