What's new

Russian Air Force. Photos & Videos & Discussion

Without new engines, this jet is not going to live up to its full potential. And the engine is going to be late.

Not a problem. The first batch gets engines used in Su-35S. When F-15E entered service in 1988 it used the weaker 23,000 lb thrust engines used in F-15A/C. Only later batches of F-15E got the more powerful 29,000 lb thrust engines.

Super powers don't fight each other. Su-57 is only used as a bomb truck for anti terrorism.

Mig-31BM with hypersonic missile
30531080_1703624103047001_2934212976774742016_o.jpg

Looks like they're making good progress on the painting aspect. The digital camo extends to the underbelly as well.

B1vauoZy4Tk.jpg

DY559B5.jpg

Yeah. It's making sufficient progress. But I think they are suffering from India's continued indecision on the FGFA. Our current govt is way too focused on indigenization, killing imports etc. So it's affecting their program.

I am actually waiting for the Type 30 equipped prototypes.

Yeah. It's making sufficient progress. But I think they are suffering from India's continued indecision on the FGFA. Our current govt is way too focused on indigenization, killing imports etc. So it's affecting their program.

Is it official that FGFA is out the door now? It's so hard to keep up with you guys and all the back and forth, ooof. One day you're buying 300 Rafales, the next day its 24 then it's make in India 300 F-16 70 then it's F-35 then it's no F-35 and with this thing, no one seems to know what direction it's going! Until maybe now?

Look at this absolute beauty. She's perfect from this angle here.

227997.jpg

Some more pics of 054 with that fresh new digital camo going all around. Most likely getting ready for the parade.

228081.jpg

228112.jpg

a01277d1a652f4778fcc69697f0ea1e1.jpg

d29ce646a8f997d8936914209f053c03.jpg

And the latest prototype 510 with that satin, metallic RAM-like digital and fluoro green radome.

228110.jpg

Is it official that FGFA is out the door now? It's so hard to keep up with you guys and all the back and forth, ooof. One day you're buying 300 Rafales, the next day its 24 then it's make in India 300 F-16 70 then it's F-35 then it's no F-35 and with this thing, no one seems to know what direction it's going! Until maybe now?

The FGFA was a development program followed by production. This would have given us 50% IPR, but very little R&D benefit. Rather we can spend all that money on AMCA on an accelerated development program.

There were three paths for FGFA.
1. R&D
2. Buy a few squadrons of Russian version from their factory.
3. License produce an MKIzed version.

So options 2 and 3 are still open. We are only skipping 1 right now.

IAF won't choose the F-16, it won't even get shortlisted. The F-35 is not a replacement for the FGFA, it's a replacement for the Rafale. F-35 and Rafale can compete only if LM competes with the F-35 in the tender and wins, which is quite unlikely.

This is just a priority based thing. Instead of spending money on FGFA, we would rather spend it on AMCA. Our first priority is not to get into an R&D program, but to shore up our numbers and get to 42 squadrons quickly.

Just so you know, it's not been publicly confirmed yet. Officially, 1 is still open.

The FGFA was a development program followed by production. This would have given us 50% IPR, but very little R&D benefit. Rather we can spend all that money on AMCA on an accelerated development program.

There were three paths for FGFA.
1. R&D
2. Buy a few squadrons of Russian version from their factory.
3. License produce an MKIzed version.

So options 2 and 3 are still open. We are only skipping 1 right now.

IAF won't choose the F-16, it won't even get shortlisted. The F-35 is not a replacement for the FGFA, it's a replacement for the Rafale. F-35 and Rafale can compete only if LM competes with the F-35 in the tender and wins, which is quite unlikely.

This is just a priority based thing. Instead of spending money on FGFA, we would rather spend it on AMCA. Our first priority is not to get into an R&D program, but to shore up our numbers and get to 42 squadrons quickly.

Just so you know, it's not been publicly confirmed yet. Officially, 1 is still open.

If India is seemingly out of the picture for the FGFA, I don't think that Russia was too dependent on that for financing the PAK-FA in general, so I'm guessing the progress for this aircraft to get to production (new engine notwithstanding) won't be affected.

That still doesn't take care of whether there was the possibility that Russia was looking for a commitment of a number of Su-57s from India to help finance this current jet's development. Not sure where that stands at the moment and you would think that Russia can go at it alone for now and get the aircraft into production, but with the sanctions and looming possibility of more, it makes you wonder how difficult this huge, monetary burden of financing the production of a 5th gen aircraft is on Russia.

Another interesting question is that assuming Russia is looking for a serious commitment from another country to help finance the final stages of this aircraft which would eventually have first dibs on it after the VKS, who is out there capable of or even interested in doing that? Would China be? Doubtful with the J-20. I don't see anyone else unless Russia approaches several countries for a package deal. @vostok , do you know what the number of aircraft the RuAF is supposedly looking to acquire, or have they not even announced that?

If India is seemingly out of the picture for the FGFA, I don't think that Russia was too dependent on that for financing the PAK-FA in general, so I'm guessing the progress for this aircraft to get to production (new engine notwithstanding) won't be affected.

Pogosyan himself said the Indian involvement was very crucial to take the PAK FA to the next stage.

So they finished the first part by themselves, but they needed Indian money to double the scope of the program as well as bring in funding for next gen avionics and other technologies. Now they will have to fund it on their own.

That still doesn't take care of whether there was the possibility that Russia was looking for a commitment of a number of Su-57s from India to help finance this current jet's development. Not sure where that stands at the moment and you would think that Russia can go at it alone for now and get the aircraft into production, but with the sanctions and looming possibility of more, it makes you wonder how difficult this huge, monetary burden of financing the production of a 5th gen aircraft is on Russia.

They suddenly lost $100B worth of business and half the program orders, considering the cancellation is actually official.

The sanctions won't really affect us. The US wants to be our friend, but our military right now is heavily dependent on Russian supplies. Our immediate priority from Russia is the S-400 deal.

And then, we are completely focused on indigenizing literally everything. In the next 5 years, we won't have to import anything except for some unique and niche stuff, apart from wide body aircraft.

IAF is generally in the habit of getting involved in programs that are proven, or are at least operational. So they may show interest again in the future, once the PAK FA actually proves itself.

The IAF has basically split itself into pro-French and pro-Russian factions in this case. The Rafale faction is winning that little contest. And some of it had spilled into the media also, the culprits being the pro-Rafale faction.

Another interesting question is that assuming Russia is looking for a serious commitment from another country to help finance the final stages of this aircraft which would eventually have first dibs on it after the VKS, who is out there capable of or even interested in doing that? Would China be? Doubtful with the J-20. I don't see anyone else unless Russia approaches several countries for a package deal. @vostok , do you know what the number of aircraft the RuAF is supposedly looking to acquire, or have they not even announced that?

I suppose they will have to aim for the Middle East now. They are working out a deal with the UAE for a smaller 5th gen fighter. They might try to get the Saudis in for the PAK FA. Or they will just go it alone.

The Russians are interested in 200 jets, India was interested in 200 jets, and 600 jets for exports. So 1000 in total. But with India gone, for now, they won't have an export partner to tap new markets.

Huh, thought the su57 would have an internal weapons bay...
I am not sure. IWB is quite a challenge:open/close it at high speed cause a lot aerodynamic problem;opening it will reduce the strength of the fuselage. I guess that is why Southern Korea declare KFX will not have IWB. IWB will also be a huge challenge for TFX and AMCA.
But I am still confused why Russians do not fix it yet, they are so experienced.
I can only assume they underestimated the challenge of IWB. With other designs finished,they left little margin for IWB design change. Now they struggle to design IWB without any major affect on other systems/structure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom