What's new

Russian Air Force. Photos & Videos & Discussion

Hypersonic air-to-ground and Anti-ship missile "Kinzhal" for the Mig-31BM.
dc8d2aa9aeb1.jpg

Derived from Iskander missile.
https://iz.ru/715127/aleksei-ramm/kinzhalnyi-udar-iskandera

Nice pics from the Kinzhal hypersonic missile test off the MiG-31BN. The missile is so huge it pretty much takes up all 4 center pylons and needs a special ejector rack you can see on the front.

attachment.php

DYBQ6RDW4AAspyZ.jpg

Fédération Aéronautique Internationale registered the records set by the test pilots of Yakovlev Design Bureau flying Yak-130 combat trainer.

The batch of the record flights was performed at the airfield of Gromov Flight Research Institute from 17 to 26 October, 2016. The flight crews consisted of the Hero of Russia Oleg Kononenko, the Hero of Russia Oleg Mutovin, Andrey Voropaev, and Vasily Sevastianov test pilots.

Within the preparation for the records establishment the Honored test-navigator Sergey Kudryashov also took part in the series of flights.

Several Russia's and world records were set for the class of serial land-based turbo-jet aircraft with take-off weight from 6 000 to 9 000 kg (see the table below).

The Hero of Russia Roman Taskaev, Yakovlev Design Bureau's Deputy Director General for flight tests, notes: “Record flights have demonstrated both outstanding capabilities of Yak-130 aircraft and masterhood of our test pilots.’’

http://eng.irkut.com/press-centre/news/2251/

Снимок экрана (87).jpg

@randomradio , notice the satin, metallic-like sheen that I don't think we've seen until now? If my eyes aren't deceiving me, it kinda resembles a similar ram-like finish we see on the F-22 and F-35 with the angle of the sunlight catching it just right in these series of photos.

With the gun testing on several of the prototypes and now what looks like a possible RAM finish, maybe we're close to seeing the end of testing and possibly a start of production. Hopefully they've already been through weapons bay testing and the Izd-30 is ready too.

Ili99kU-fCw.jpg

EM_PJjiISIk.jpg

@randomradio , notice the satin, metallic-like sheen that I don't think we've seen until now? If my eyes aren't deceiving me, it kinda resembles a similar ram-like finish we see on the F-22 and F-35 with the angle of the sunlight catching it just right in these series of photos.

With the gun testing on several of the prototypes and now what looks like a possible RAM finish, maybe we're close to seeing the end of testing and possibly a start of production. Hopefully they've already been through weapons bay testing and the Izd-30 is ready too.

Ili99kU-fCw.jpg

EM_PJjiISIk.jpg

Without new engines, this jet is not going to live up to its full potential. And the engine is going to be late.

But I hope the IAF buys at least 10 for familiarization and training, like they did with the Su-30K before the Su-30MKI.

Without new engines, this jet is not going to live up to its full potential. And the engine is going to be late.

But I hope the IAF buys at least 10 for familiarization and training, like they did with the Su-30K before the Su-30MKI.

The engine was supposed to be ready by this fall (September-November) if I'm not mistaken, and one of them was just tested on the PAK-FA a couple of months ago but we haven't seen it on any of the 11 prototypes since then. Has it been delayed beyond that?

BTW, Sukhoi's eventual contract with India -- whatever it ends up being the Su-57 or FGFA -- is most definitely threatened by the US' and India's evolving relationship and the very strong possibility of acquiring the F-35. I think we're seeing a lot of shifting and focusing of opinions in the India media coupled with unclear signals from the IAF with regards to an F-35 purchase. That would ultimately kill any Sukhoi deal. I don't think there is a chance for both being in Indian service TBH and I think this is going to -- and has started -- to put pressure on Sukhoi to get this aircraft in production since an Indian contract is essential to help fund the PAK-FA program.

The engine was supposed to be ready by this fall (September-November) if I'm not mistaken, and one of them was just tested on the PAK-FA a couple of months ago but we haven't seen it on any of the 11 prototypes since then. Has it been delayed beyond that?

It is flying. But it needs to undergo its own IOC and FOC process, which will take many years.

BTW, Sukhoi's eventual contract with India -- whatever it ends up being the Su-57 or FGFA -- is most definitely threatened by the US' and India's evolving relationship and the very strong possibility of acquiring the F-35. I think we're seeing a lot of shifting and focusing of opinions in the India media coupled with unclear signals from the IAF with regards to an F-35 purchase. That would ultimately kill any Sukhoi deal. I don't think there is a chance for both being in Indian service TBH and I think this is going to -- and has started -- to put pressure on Sukhoi to get this aircraft in production since an Indian contract is essential to help fund the PAK-FA program.

The F-35 is not in the same class as the FGFA. The F-35 is considered a medium weight aircraft and will not compete with the FGFA. It's like the F-22/F-35 combo.

You can say that any decision to purchase the F-35 will come at the expense of the Rafale instead.

And with India refusing to sign the CISMOA for now, it looks like the Americans won't be able to sell the F-35 here.

Back
Top Bottom