What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.

What if Russia Wins?

When Russia joined the ongoing civil war in Syria, in the summer of 2015, it shocked the United States and its partners. Out of frustration, then President Barack Obama claimed that Syria would become a “quagmire” for Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin. Syria would be Russia’s Vietnam or Putin’s Afghanistan, a grievous mistake that would eventually rebound against Russian interests.

Syria did not end up as a quagmire for Putin. Russia changed the course of the war, saving Syrian President Bashar al-Assad from impending defeat, and then translated military force into diplomatic leverage. It kept costs and casualties sustainable. Now Russia cannot be ignored in Syria. There has been no diplomatic settlement. Instead, Moscow has amassed greater regional clout, from Israel to Libya, and retained a loyal partner in Assad for Russia’s power projection. In Syria, what the Obama administration failed to anticipate was the possibility that Russia’s intervention would succeed.

Not a bad read compared to the standard propaganda comes out of Washington and London.

Let's measure the level of knowledge of the forum: If you notice, both helicopters and, where possible, fighters and bombers fly very low over residential areas.

What do you think is the reason for this? Does this increase or decrease the threat of MANPADS?

Good question.. Many layman won't understand.

It is in order to avid Air defense radar's and also surface to air missiles and even enemy fighters

Let's measure the level of knowledge of the forum: If you notice, both helicopters and, where possible, fighters and bombers fly very low over residential areas.

What do you think is the reason for this? Does this increase or decrease the threat of MANPADS?
The lower the fly over the less time for the ground threat to engage (That's an angle thing). You can also use the geo-heat to shield your heat signature, if you are in place like Iraq or Afghanistan.

In general, we don't have chopper fly over when there is a creditable MANPAD threat. but Fast Air and sometime AC-130 Gunship is unlimited (mostly at night)

generally decreases, especially over forested terrain.

It's obvious both sides are afraid to fly high because of active AA on both sides

1646040314797.png
1646040321615.png
1646040328488.png

1646040363990.png

The skies above Europe are busy today.

I have one.

What do you do if you want to take a dump in combat?

LOL

generally decreases, especially over forested terrain.

It's obvious both sides are afraid to fly high because of active AA on both sides
Yeah, the "Break Lock" thing is a scam, it only happened on Video Game. If you move your sensor over a tree, you still have the lock, because sometime the IR beam can piece thru the canopy and sometime your system have way to track the target. Most MANPAD is to some degree (have to highlight the "TO SOME DEGREE") fire and forget.

I don't think I was a leader,..
I was talking about political leadership. The 'you' was generic. In the end, a decision must be made, even if you ended up disappointing or even offends 1/2 of the people. You can say that since they did not vote for you, why should you care. But this is one area of leadership that I did not received from PME. For people like us, leadership is usually direct. But in the political realm, it is about making deals, the goodies are apportioned, and decision making processes are usually circuitous, not straight 'I say, you do' like we were used to.

So for me looking at the world thru a realpolitik filter, I have no problems with semi-autocratic leaders as allies, especially if they live close to tyrants. That does not say I share their values, but only that if for no other reasons at all, they at least serves as trigger wires should it come down to a war. Right now, it seems the West is realizing that the Cold War never actually ended, and maybe we need to lower our political standards a notch or even two.

Good question.. Many layman won't understand.

It is in order to avid Air defense radar's and also surface to air missiles and even enemy fighters
Commonly used systems have Infrared homing. In other words, the missile tries to adjust the angle of attack with the engine temperature of the target. Low flight reduces reaction time for countermeasure. So why do pilots ignore this risk for what advantage?

Here is the short answer:
The lower the fly over the less time for the ground threat to engage (That's an angle thing). You can also use the geo-heat to shield your heat signature, if you are in place like Iraq or Afghanistan.

In general, we don't have chopper fly over when there is a creditable MANPAD threat. but Fast Air and sometime AC-130 Gunship is unlimited (mostly at night)

I was talking about political leadership. The 'you' was generic. In the end, a decision must be made, even if you ended up disappointing or even offends 1/2 of the people. You can say that since they did not vote for you, why should you care. But this is one area of leadership that I did not received from PME. For people like us, leadership is usually direct. But in the political realm, it is about making deals, the goodies are apportioned, and decision making processes are usually circuitous, not straight 'I say, you do' like we were used to.

So for me looking at the world thru a realpolitik filter, I have no problems with semi-autocratic leaders as allies, especially if they live close to tyrants. That does not say I share their values, but only that if for no other reasons at all, they at least serves as trigger wires should it come down to a war. Right now, it seems the West is realizing that the Cold War never actually ended, and maybe we need to lower our political standards a notch or even two.
Sorry, thought you asked my command style.....

I think a good political leader is depends on which kind of policy you pursuit. Let me ask you a question, do you think Ronald Regean is a Good Leader? How he comapred with Bill Clinton?

Political leader have to be strong as steel but flexible as Plastic, that does not mean appeasement, no sir. That mean you have to be able to make decision and stick with it, but then you also need to have the flexibility to adjust your policy as it goes, no one policy goes forever, which mean while you need to stand by your decision, but you also need to be able to adjust it.

Commonly used systems have Infrared homing. In other words, the missile tries to adjust the angle of attack with the engine temperature of the target. Low flight reduces reaction time for countermeasure. So why do pilots ignore this risk for what advantage?

Here is the short answer:
So did I pass?? :)

Why is Western Media so late to report this stuff. I thought Russia took it many hours ago.
Because it does not fit the "ukraine stronk, Nato stronk" narrative.

Surprise, surprise, but our so called free press is not free, it is a propaganda tool like it always was in ALL countries through all times. Nothing changed.

Putin ruined his country completly. But its amazing how united EU acts. Stay strong Ukraine
Sure, sure, the ukropian Endsieg is near. Even the Volkssturm they try to imitate.

Very hard times for our Greek Nazi, thinking he is some kind of a Herrenmensch, because he is living in the Banana Republic Deutschland, aka BRD.

Last edited:
Sorry, thought you asked my command style.....

I think a good political leader is depends on which kind of policy you pursuit. Let me ask you a question, do you think Ronald Regean is a Good Leader? How he comapred with Bill Clinton?

Political leader have to be strong as steel but flexible as Plastic, that does not mean appeasement, no sir. That mean you have to be able to make decision and stick with it, but then you also need to have the flexibility to adjust your policy as it goes, no one policy goes forever, which mean while you need to stand by your decision, but you also need to be able to adjust it.

I think we passed both but you just happened to explain more the anatomy whereas I touch on the surface

Assuming you're a pro, you've probably given incomplete information on purpose, but again, that was a good enough answer as far as we need to knew. The part you skipped: We cannot keep the battery that cools the seeker head on all the time. This slightly extends the firing preparation time of the MANPADS operator. If the target is flying too low this gives us a very short interval to angle of attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom