What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
What trump would have done is anybody guess.

The only thing sure about trump was , that he was unpredictable and irresponsible.

Although some argue that exactly because of that , Putin would not have risked invading at all , if trump was in power.

On the other hand , when it comes to long standing military support and money investment , Biden has proven himself as trust worthy ally. Would Trump also stand with Ukraine in the same way Biden has ?

Not at all sure about that :

Trump: US should fund safe schools before Ukraine

~
As far as I can tell, Putin wanted this a long time ago, probably ever since 2014.

First of all, trying to pull off a 200,000 troop invasion is not something you can just do out of the bat, well, in hindsight, maybe it is because it was wrongly handled all the way around by the Russian, but from Troop Training, to route planning, to sussing out enemy deposition and prepare the resource you need for war is not going to be a few months operation. It take years to save up the equipment the Russian uses in this war.

Which tell me 2 things.

1.) Whether or not Trump is president, Putin will go ahead one way or the other. This is not about America, this is about Ukraine, and what Putin think about Ukraine.

2.) If what my prediction is the case, then this is probably the biggest mistake Putin made, which buy into the ill health angle because if he is really dying, he wouldn't care.

There are two major turning point as to what Putin had done wrong. He should have waited another 4 years before going ahead with the invasion, Trump maybe back, or he can more or less install yet another pro-Russian leader in Ukraine. Much like how they do with Georgia nowadays. Another thing he did wrong is he invaded when Hungary is in a election. Vicktor Orban cannot be seen as pro-Russia during Election, and he would have pass whatever the EU aimed at Russia. If Putin had invaded after Victkor Orban election in April, he may be able to use Orban to withstand some EU sanction.

All in all, I don't think who's in power would deter Putin from invading Ukraine, as I said, that is probably one major mistake so he is still going ahead even tho he know this would, and did, backfire on Russia badly, if the need to invade even over that two strategic mistake, then whether or not Trump is in office is probably have no sway on Putin.

Indeed you mentioned the HIMARS long before. I suggested it would be M270s instead since the HIMARS were newer and something the Marines and Army want to keep for themselves but since then they sent in M777s which are also modern weeks ago, I figure the U.S. government decided to also give something more modern like the HIMARS you mentioned. After the Russians taking Severodonestsk and operational pause or even suggest a ceasefire crap attempt, the Ukrainians should definitely hit them hard with more artillery to prevent them from taking a breathe or break. Even launch counter attacks.
It's easy to see HIMARS is needed, they are quick, easy to load, and like triple 7, easy to pack and travel. The key to this war is always the artillery, because the Artillery game is the Russian playing, which mean you will at some point need to one up the Russian Artillery, at the very beginning, it's still quite hard to see whether they need system like 777/HIMARS/M270 or SAM like Patriot, but then a month pass and you probably can see artillery is more important than SAM and Russian fighter is not making any headway into Ukraine.

I have no doubt in my mind the Ukrainian is going to push after Russia took Sieverodonestsk, they have completely withdraw from it and only leave a token unit behind to hinder the Russian pace taking the city, which mean something is up and they needed that troop for something, what I can see is, Russia probably will try to go after Lysychansk after Sieverodonetsk, Ukrainian will try to blunt their river crossing effort and then launch a counter attack, that is what I would do if I was in that situation. It's hard to defend with the river behind you, it's a lot easier to defend when the river is between you and your enemy, especially so when your enemy is the attacker, and they need to cross that river.

I hope everyone here on PDF who lives in the West and supports and cheer for Russia, by now realize that, if there ever is a full scale War between the West and Russia, and even ICBMs starts flying, Russia wont differentiate between YOU, neutrals and those who are against Russia.

Its OK that you are against your own countries foreign policies. But to wish that a foreign country likely to want to harm your own country, wins a war, is just plain stupid and what i call self-defeating mentality.

It is natural for mullahs like you to cheer for lynch mobs who almost lynched a girl in Bangladesh who wore a jeans and top and then for your to cheer for your anti-human Capitalist-imperialist, genocidal, war-criming and regime-changing master, NATO.

@bluesky, see him. Mullah and NATO, made for each other.

Ghar Vapsi haha

@Huffal :rofl:

What about heavy weaponry?
Don’t think Germany relies on that. The Swiss are famous for high precision machinery from which Germany imports. If everything in place German manufacturing complex can build 5 submarines per month in war mode.

Just my humble opinion but despite this war entering a very gruelling and protracted period, Ukraine will eventually prevail. It is a real shame that there are still people who believe that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was justified or somehow morally correct. There is nothing morally correct or ethical about this conflict.

Just my humble opinion but despite this war entering a very gruelling and protracted period, Ukraine will eventually prevail. It is a real shame that there are still people who believe that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was justified or somehow morally correct. There is nothing morally correct or ethical about this conflict.
Has any war that has been fought since the past 40-50 years been justified?

Has any war that has been fought since the past 40-50 years been justified?
I am glad you placed the *qualifier of last 40/50 years. And justification really is subjective when it comes to wars. The victor writes history to be honest. But regardless, what Russia is doing in Ukraine is unfathomable, the impact of these reckless actions are reverberating throughout the world well past the borders of the Baltic nations.

I am glad you placed the *qualifier of last 40/50 years. And justification really is subjective when it comes to wars. The victor writes history to be honest. But regardless, what Russia is doing in Ukraine is unfathomable, the impact of these reckless actions are reverberating throughout the world well past the borders of the Baltic nations.
Agreed, justification for a war is subjective. However, reckless actions should not just be put onto Russia, rather the whole world for failing to stop this war before it happened. Just like with Bosnia and Serbia, Kashmir, Palestine etc etc, the world has failed to act.

Agreed, justification for a war is subjective. However, reckless actions should not just be put onto Russia, rather the whole world for failing to stop this war before it happened. Just like with Bosnia and Serbia, Kashmir, Palestine etc etc, the world has failed to act.
Yes I will agree with that sentiment, but what makes you think that Russia would agree to anything the "West" could have tabled? Remember Georgia or the 2014 conflict?

Yes I will agree with that sentiment, but what makes you think that Russia would agree to anything the "West" could have tabled? Remember Georgia or the 2014 conflict?
That lies with what the west has to offer. In an ideal scenario, both sides will lay down offers which benefit each other. For example, no war, security for Russian borders and/or Ukrainian borders, no sanctions, flow of trade routes etc. But people want these deals to better suit them rather than suiting both parties. Thats what is happening currently. Both the west and russia are only looking at themselves in these 'peacetalks'. Not the average Ukrainian citizen or even average person that will be suffering from this.

That lies with what the west has to offer. In an ideal scenario, both sides will lay down offers which benefit each other. For example, no war, security for Russian borders and/or Ukrainian borders, no sanctions, flow of trade routes etc. But people want these deals to better suit them rather than suiting both parties. Thats what is happening currently. Both the west and russia are only looking at themselves in these 'peacetalks'. Not the average Ukrainian citizen or even average person that will be suffering from this.
Ah yes but the moral right is with Ukraine as a nation defending against aggression.

Ah yes but the moral right is with Ukraine as a nation defending against aggression.
They have the moral highground. Rather should i say HAD the moral highground had it not been for the stupid decisions Zelinsky took (no male in military age allowed to leave Ukraine and also talks of conscription) as well as the Azov battalions actions during the war (stopping civillians from fleeing the war zone).

With the 1 legit person trying to defend his country, they will always be another 100 corrupt people trying to control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom