What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, can any tank survive a top attack ATGM?

Sounds like the ww2 battle ships with wooden deck.I wonder why there is no hard kill projectil APS on the tanks in this Ukraine-Russia war which protect against such top attacks.

I would take any western tank over an eastern designed tank any day.
I even have doubts in regards to VT-4 and other Soviet Era tanks Pak Armed Forces are running.

Ignorant. Any type of tanks dives into the real battle will see losses. The same can be said about jets or any hardware. It's the overall kill:loss ratio compared to opponent's tanks that matters.

Sun Tzu. US does not dare invade China.

The talk of which is no. 1 or 2 or 3 is silly. The outcome of any battle or war depends on timing, advantages or disadvantages of location, and the participants' unity.. so said the Chinese military strategists that include Sun Tzu.

Western tanks don't do any better. Turkish Leopard 2 in Syria.

oiqwyaknjbf51.jpg

This is much older Leopard 2A4 variant.

1. The baseline armor protection levels of Leopard 2A4 are lower than that of the M1A1HA variant.

2. A part of the ammo is stored in the front of Leopard 2A4 beneath its turret. It looks like this part of a unit was breached in a battle as pointed out by member @PakFactor.

3. Turkish forces did not apply ERA tiles on Leopard 2A4 to cover its vulnerable spaces for operations in Syria.

ISIS elements might have learned about such vulnerabilities. They had obtained/seized stockpiles of Russian Kornet class ATGMs in Syria.

Losses are also magnified for shock value and effects on the web. Turkish forces dispatched a total of 30 Leopard 2A4 for a military operation in Syria and lost 10 of them in the process in 2016. Other units survived and returned.

From the news, Germany supports Finland, Sweden to join the NATO.
Ukraine wants Germany as protector. So do all Eastern European countries. And do western countries. Except France.
All want to draw down the iron curtain to Russia.
Interesting, all want close tie to Germany. All want Germany as leading nation. Remarkable considering the atrocities Germany committed in the WWII.

Germany supports what? The US gave orders and Germany obeyed. End of story.

I would take any western tank over an eastern designed tank any day.
I even have doubts in regards to VT-4 and other Soviet Era tanks Pak Armed Forces are running.

Top attack munitions negate any tank today, plainly and simply.

Even if you have half a meter of ceramics in your front armour, it make zero difference.

Ukrainian offensive is also not going anywhere either. Russia keeps forcing Ukrainians into attrition warfare, and wasting its cohesion.

It's no big secret now that Ukraine is preparing 2 divisions worth of reserves from territorials, captured/repaired armour, and etc in the East. It will not be the strongest force.

Big question is where these 2 divisions will go.

Ukraine needs following regarding its own force:
  1. Rotate forces on most stressed directions
  2. Continue mobilisation to grow its regular force
  3. Integrate irregulars with the military on operational level
  4. Create at least 1 field army worth of strategic reserve
  5. Field units dedicated to use of NATO gear

Last edited:
Then again, can any tank survive a top attack ATGM?

Not a single tank today. Only APS can save a tank from top attack.

That why I call any new tank procurement project a write off today if no APS is required.

Even front attack APS equipped tanks will likely get a stop on purchase.

The whole tank, and military hardware industry will pause for a few years until offers are readjusted, and RnD will come with something countering things which surfaced during this war.

Anti-top-attack APS, crew survivability solutions, field switchable multi-fuel engines, integration with drones, new thermals, new comms, more anti-mine, anti-infantry/anti-bunker shells, cross-terrain performance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom