What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey will veto Sweden's membership request.

Why would they Veto ? I can understand countries like Hungary - or even Germany at this rate - but Turkey? I don't follow why they would be so against it ?

Thats not cloutier. Thats a taxi driver the FSB picked up

Russians are treating him in a humane way.
Not sure if Americans would be equally curteous if a Russian general was captured.
Most likely not.

russian army in ukraine

1649090016570.png

Why would they Veto ? I can understand countries like Hungary - or even Germany at this rate - but Turkey? I don't follow why they would be so against it ?
What would Germany veto Sweden, Finland? Even the last delusional people in Europe understand the message Russia is a big threat. Putin makes Russia into a monster. Merkel’s appeasement politics is disaster. She is the one that had pushed all of us into a dependent strangulation with Russia that now everyone must live with it.

That's more than the total number of marines defending the city to begin with.
Don't know if the entire 36th marine bridge is defending the city. The report says they are the units of the 36th marine brigade.

The President of Turkey, the Minister of Defense and the Presidency of Defense Industry all of them announced that the F-35 book was closed and there would be no return to it. Turkey's current aim is to end its dependency on logistics to the US aviation companies within 10-15 years. Unless an Atlanticist structure wins the 2023 elections, Turkey will increasingly begin to impose its national interests on NATO in the coming years.
I think Turkey will not veto a NATO expansion. That would be seen as an act of betrayal. I cant imagine what the US and UK would do.

I expect some trouble from Hungary, and even that would be hugely problematic, Hungary would be cut off in a major way and basically forced to accept Finland and Sweden.

Turkey has its own concerns and must surely be thinking it is on the list of countries to be invaded by Russia. And with the Russian threat hanging over turkey, it would be very brave of turkey to turn its back on NATO.

At the same time I can see the Turkish concerns, it is doubtful if NATO would even help Turkey in a meaningful way of it was ever invaded.

I think Turkey will not veto a NATO expansion. That would be seen as an act of betrayal. I cant imagine what the US and UK would do.

I expect some trouble from Hungary, and even that would be hugely problematic, Hungary would be cut off in a major way and basically forced to accept Finland and Sweden.

Turkey has its own concerns and must surely be thinking it is on the list of countries to be invaded by Russia. And with the Russian threat hanging over turkey, it would be very brave of turkey to turn its back on NATO.

At the same time I can see the Turkish concerns, it is doubtful if NATO would even help Turkey in a meaningful way of it was ever invaded.
Turkey may just advise Russia to take a tiny piece of Finland. So long as Finland has a territorial dispute, Turkey has an excuse to veto.

Turkey may just advise Russia to take a tiny piece of Finland. So long as Finland has a territorial dispute, Turkey has an excuse to veto.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Russia could take a piece of each country and prevent their membership bids like that.

my view is that if that happened NATO would accept them anyway and Russia would be at war with NATO. Territorial dispute is just an excuse they gave Ukraine. The reason they wont accept Ukraine yet is because its military and government is infiltrated with Russian spies.

Once all this is over and Russian influence is eliminated, they will accept Ukraine as well.

This news is interesting:

OK, it is from Telegram so you would have to know its hostname, which is masked out by the forum.
It says: More than 1000 Marines of the Armed Forces of Ukraine today surrendered in Mariupol

Fake news - Russians are hoping that by spreading such fake news - they can sap the morale of the defenders and force them to give up. Please dont peddle such fake news ...

Fake news - Russians are hoping that by spreading such fake news - they can sap the morale of the defenders and force them to give up. Please dont peddle such fake news ...
Let's be fair and let the fake news from both sides to spread. Maybe from all the fakes, we can deduce some truth.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Russia could take a piece of each country and prevent their membership bids like that.

my view is that if that happened NATO would accept them anyway and Russia would be at war with NATO. Territorial dispute is just an excuse they gave Ukraine. The reason they wont accept Ukraine yet is because its military and government is infiltrated with Russian spies.

Once all this is over and Russian influence is eliminated, they will accept Ukraine as well.
They probably will accept a split Ukraine. Russia is likely to hold on to the parts dominated by Russian population.

They probably will accept a split Ukraine. Russia is likely to hold on to the parts dominated by Russian population.
It would be a miracle if Ukraine is not split up. But the more russia claims the less chance there will be that it will be recognised by the west. A landlocked urkaine will fight to the end to get some of its coast back. But they might just let go of some eastern parts.

I cant see the west ever recognising Crimea as a part of russia. or indeed any coastline west of Crimea. Regardless of Ukraine agrees to.

Reactions: mmr
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom