What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not gloat of I where you.

Your country would be the first to suffer . It is always the weak and poor that suffer Most when there is a world crises. You can thank Putin for that.

War in Ukraine exacerbating food crisis in the Horn of Africa

The impact of the war in Ukraine is worsening the devastating food crisis for millions of people in the Horn of Africa, Islamic Relief is warning.

Around 14 million people in Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya are already in urgent need of aid due to the region’s worst drought in almost 40 years. The failure of three successive rainy seasons has destroyed livelihoods and forced families to leave their homes in search of food and water.

Now, staple foods such as wheat are becoming increasingly scarce and expensive as trade routes from Ukraine and Russia are severely disrupted. Many countries in the region usually import 60-80 per cent of their wheat from Ukraine. With these imports disrupted, the price of bread and other staple foods is rapidly rising, affecting the poorest families most of all.

Aid agencies’ limited funds are being stretched further as prices rise. In Somalia, Islamic Relief has had to reduce the number of people receiving vital food deliveries at the start of Ramadan, because there is not enough funding to match the rising prices. One thousand families will not be able to receive food aid as a result.

Aliow Mohamed, Islamic Relief’s Country Director in Somalia, has recently visited camps in Baidoa, where people have fled the drought to try and find aid. Islamic Relief teams in the camps are providing food and shelter. He said:

“We’ve had to reduce our food distributions by 1,000 families because of the drastic increase in food prices since the start of the Ukraine war. Prices have risen by 30 percent, and the cost of a 25kg bag of rice has gone up from $15 to $22.
“Life inside the camps is tough, and some people do not eat for a day or two. People share the food they receive from aid organisations such as Islamic Relief because there isn’t enough aid for everyone. Last week a family told me that they did not eat for two days because their neighbours who used to give them food are no longer receiving aid. The situation is bleak.
“Children and women are most affected. I met one woman who had walked for a month to reach the camp and she was eight months pregnant. We are seeing a rise in cases of child malnutrition as food becomes increasingly expensive.
“Islamic Relief provides families with cash assistance so they can buy food in the local markets. $70 a month used to cover the basic food needs for a family of six people – now, because of rising prices, families need at least $100 a month.”

Islamic Relief is calling on international governments to act quickly and support efforts to address the growing hunger crisis in the region.

In Ethiopia, the drought and internal conflict has left huge numbers of people in need of food aid. Millions of people from the east of the country have had to migrate to the capital Addis Ababa to try and escape the drought, straining the city’s limited resources. Now the impact of the Ukraine crisis is pushing even more people into destitution.

the rest here :

~
Despite what some simple minded think, it is not fat Americans and fat europeans that will go hungry no matter how bad things get.

So Russia has been officially defeated in Ukraine, they will withdraw to some 15% of E Ukraine and stay there. What i dont understand is why the Russian generals did not realise this before hand? The impacts of sanctions? Western support for Ukraine? Etc.

War map 06/04
2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.svg (1).png

The point is right now, all the sanctions imposed by the US and EU is not working as the Ruble has now returned back to the level before the invasion.

80 Ruble to a dollar. And Putin is as popular as ever in Russia.

But high inflation is affecting every European today. Many companies may not recovered and may be closed.

So the "Regime Change" admitted by Biden in Poland and denied by her Secretary of State is both funny and clumsy.

Ukraine don't dare launch an attack on Russia proper because they know the consequence. Russia is not damaged by this conflict. Only Ukraine is. And don't forget. Russia is nothing but China's lapdog these days. China has 10 times the population of Russia.

In Western law, innocent unless proven guilty.
But Ukraine did launch an attack on russia and blew up its oil storage facilities with helicopters.

Stop diverting and let returned back to the original thread. I am sorry I digressed in replying to Turtle

Stop replying to that racist. He even ask me why I live in Canada. That is so racist.

But Ukraine did launch an attack on russia and blew up its oil storage facilities with helicopters.

Very limited in scope. There were no civilian casualties and the amount of oil lost is a drop in the bucket compared to Russia's oil production.

So Russia has been officially defeated in Ukraine, they will withdraw to some 15% of E Ukraine and stay there. What i dont understand is why the Russian generals did not realise this before hand? The impacts of sanctions? Western support for Ukraine? Etc.

War map 06/04
View attachment 831677

Seems to be more compared to what Turkey annexed from Syria in northern Syria around Afrin and Bab.

Last edited:
American revolution war when the French blockaded New York.
I did not expect that far back, but if you think your China will use that as model for a blockade of Taiwan, I hope the entire PLA leadership is filled with people like you. :lol:

60 countries have abstained...Besides, this is not the UN Security Council, so this symbolic move doesn't have any weight.

Symbolic or not , it shows Putin's isolation on this matter.

Even more countries voted to condemn Russia - 141 countries to be exact.

Your own country , Somalia , voted against Russia on both votes . . .

~

Thats true
but everything has a breaking point.
No one could foresee Soviet collapse but yet it happened.

Soviet economy is communism like @jamahir supports

That system will fail eventually, now Russia has used mixed economy, the same like China and Indonesia economic system.

Sure, it will survive, but the cost will be significant. Economic growth was already slashed after 2014 with light sanctions. Now this will be a deep recession. ( -10+% ), they can export gas and oil, but got a embargo on western technologies, which Russia does not produce and this will hit them. Reorientation on China would be difficult, takes time and I`m not sure, if they want this...

Economic growth will be slashed by 1-2% in the EU.

There is Chinese technology which is growing rapidly, we are not like whats happen 10 years ago. Sure, many of their project will face huge hurdle like in their aerospace industry ( civilian aircraft ).

Thanks God Indonesia doesnt buy Sukhoi superjet 100

1649388058376.png

Oil and gas is not directly sanctioned. But majority of countries (like India) cannot pay Russia in a currency that it can use. So there is an indirect sanction on Russian oil that limits its potential.

For oil there will be some shocks as not only related to transaction system but also the amount of refinery in the world that can process Russian oil which is in majority are still in Western Europe.

Regardless of that in term of currency for transaction, countries will find the solution. Just like how Russia-China can do it by using Yuan and Rubel, and also India as I have heard try to do the same.

The best thing Westerners must do is to struct deal with Iran as soon as possible, they are the one that make this energy crisis mess, they have option to soften the impact of Russia invasion which has been effecting all countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom