What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I don't know about Airborne Artillery.
It is US/NATO label as how the Soviets uses airpower. Imagine Soviet airpower consists mostly of AC-130s with the Soviet Army about 24-48 hrs behind, hence 'Airborne Artillery'. It is a rather limited perspective of airpower.

Soviet jets are known to be less technologically sophisticated than Western jets. Part of that is access to technology and part from doctrine. Being less technologically sophisticated allows the jet to be closer to the front line operating from austere airfields almost close to what helos use, and ease of maintenance by -- shall we say kindly -- less educated/trained troops. When I was active duty, it took a long time for the DoD to declassify some materials gained from our brief examination of the MIG-25 defected by Viktor Belenko, and our squadron had a chance to see some of that material as part of a motivational tour. Our F-15s were using solid state electronics but their MIG-25s had vacuum tubes. The popular defense is that tubes are immune from EMP which our engineers laughed at. Steel is easier to find than composites, so if a MIG-25, and others of that series, is damaged, steel from tanks or APCs can be used to patch up the body and even repair some critical airframe sub-structures, if a competent welder is available.

So if we extrapolate this upward, it is reasonable to assume that the Soviets had this limited perspective of its airpower and developed a war time doctrine appropriately. Then forward to today, it seems the VKS deviated little from that perspective and combat doctrine, hence, not much air presence except for where Russian ground troops are fighting, and even then, the VKS is not that impressive compared against the perception that we developed. It seems we continually overestimate the VKS. Maybe it is an intellectual 'better safe than sorry' safety margin on our part.

But I can tell you one thing that I know and Gen Marks did not say.

The battleplan have me scratching my head for quite some time. I mean, I get why they attack Kyiv, and why they want to take Mariupol and Odesa, but I cannot figure out why they start a front with Kharkiv? The entire issue with Kharkiv is an outliner to me, the only reason I can think of for them to take it is for its historical significance. But then it would not help the main effort one bit.

Strategically, the breaking down into 2 or 3 routes is a mistake, Russian own the ocean, and troop in Crimea would mean you would have already pin down the Defender inside Mariupol and Odesa, then why attack them? I mean, if you look at it, they did not attack Odesa but they manage to pin the defender in place, but with Mariupol, especially with the ground troop near the separatist region, You really don't need to go toe to toe on them, and now, you don't just pin their troop, you pin down yours too.

That is the reason for me to think, who is actually in charge of the battlefield here, because the decision that was made here does not make sense at all. If you want to take Kyiv, you go heavy on Kyiv, you don't jerk around in other place and dilute your power. I mean, if there is an overall objective, and an overall commander to oversee the overall objective, I don''t think this is going to happen like this.
So if we go by what you are saying on the ground, then no wonder the VKS commander is sitting on his butt. I think the local air commander is doing the best he can, but if the ground commander is unable to accomplish his goals for any reason, from enemy resistance to weather, then the air commander will be equally shorted on what he is allowed to do. The more I look at this, the more it is likely the VKS is staying with Soviet air doctrine. I somewhat feel a little sorry for the guy as I bet he is being pulled three different directions.

If the Russian Army is going to lay siege on the major cities...

As can be seen by any Google image search of Raqqa, moreover, the employment of airpower in cities has been accompanied by great destruction.
Regardless of function, role, or mission, the application of airpower in cities for strategic effect is tremendously challenging, even with advanced precision weapons and sensors. The Air Force must move beyond tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) to consider broader solutions at the operational and strategic levels because even the best TTPs will not guarantee victory in urban environments.​

Currently, airpower in the urban environment combat situation produce only one outcome: great destruction. There is a limit on the angle of approach for any PGM and usually it is greater than 45 deg to vertical. We can use PGM against a building but if the bomb miss it will hit the next building, so in an urban environment, there are very little misses. But the VKS have limited PGM usage so far. There is a caveat to this. Just because you have a lot of PGM does not mean all your pilots are qual-ed to use them and use effectively. Combat is no training environment. The VKS may have a lot of PGM, but if insufficient jets/pilots are qual-ed to use, might as well be no PGM, then we will see even more great destruction to those besieged cities.

What you said about the dilution of power is interesting because it is not applicable to airpower. Simply put, we ain't around all the time. If the tank stopped in front of you, the power of the tank is still there, you are just lucky it is not running or shooting. But with the airplane, I have to leave when I reach bingo fuel. So yes, the Russians should have gone all out on one city, then the next, then the next. Maybe Kyiv should have been the first, but if the VKS cannot replicate Desert Storm, then the air commander should have been allowed to focus his jets on one target at a time.

Now comes the horrific part. Under the concept of 'airborne artillery', the combined effects of artillery shells approach on one side of a target, then bombs delivered by jets on the other side, anyone/anything inside that building will die. We WILL see a humanitarian crisis in each besieged city.

*yawn*

Bye bye.

I was going to block you but hold off being tolerant of your views.

Not anymore
As if you are important enough that we would ache from wondering if you read our comments. Clue for you, buddy, whether you read our comments or not, the silent readers out there will. And their attention are far more important than yours.

I hope people did managed to get some Rubles at least.
It may be next bitcoin :lol:

To be exact, he says, countries that are not have friendly approach to Russia will have to do their energy purchases with Ruble. Putin is not talking about indexing all its energy exports to Ruble. They are trying to gain leverage against countries that impose economic sanctions on Russia.

Ukrainian police has resumed operations in Irpen,meaning much of the areas has been cleared of putin's thugs.

Some goodies left behind by the Russians.

FOiflhjXwAIq5K5.jpg

While Russia claims shooting down more TB2 than Ukraine actually has without providing any evidence (only one visually confirmed as lost),they are surely hitting the Russians hard. Keep in mind those footages aren't official releases but leaks,meaning Ukraine doesn't show every footages of strikes.

Our F-15s were using solid state electronics but their MIG-25s had vacuum tubes. The popular defense is that tubes are immune from EMP which our engineers laughed at.

Your engineers who laughed then should now listen to your own NASA which is going back to the idea of vacuum tube electronics except that the transistor is miniaturized :
While semiconductors replaced vacuum tubes as the go-to way to conduct electrical current in our gadgets decades ago, scientists are looking to bring them back for computers used in space. The fact that semiconductors are cheaper and easier to build made them a good replacement, but since vacuum tubes stand up better to radiation, researchers at NASA's Ames Research Center and the Korean National Nanofab Center have created a tiny version designed for the harsh conditions in space. The prototype is called a vacuum channel transistor, can be incorporated into a circuit, and was built using the same process used for silicon semiconductors.

Right now the 150 nanometer-long device can operate at under 10 volts, but researchers believe that this number can be cut down to just 1 volt over time. It's also very fast, operating at frequencies of up to 0.46 terahertz — quite a bit faster than standard silicon transistors. These two factors are good news for NASA, which, according to engineer Meyya Meyyappan, can spend up to a few years making a computer radiation proof — "otherwise the computer you put in the space shuttle or the space station basically will get zapped and stop working." Unfortunately, as of now there's no word on when the tubes might make their way into NASA's computers.

It is a very clever move.

Why get yourself dirty by getting into the clogged drainage when you can pay someone to do your dirty work?

In the meantime, Millions became Refugees, Cities turned into ashes. Ukranie paying dear price for this US Proxy War against Russia.

Dude, you are fighting a war in Ukraine. Where does the Ukrainian Civilian supposed to go? Go to Russia?

You are fighting where people were living. Just because there is a war on does not mean they suddenly ceased to exist.....

Why not go to Russia? At least they won't be used as human shields there and there is no war.
It also means the Ukrainian military shouldn't use them as human shields!

As per the interview that New Yorker publication has had with an investigative journalist in Russia, Putin

1) continues to believe that the invasion plan was correct both strategically and militarily.
2) is upset that the funds that were supposed to be spent on building pro-Kremlin support in Ukraine has been wasted to naught.
3) is alarmed that Americans have so much intelligence gathering capability in Russia
4) only has 3 or 4 people left in his inner circle

:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom