What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

Abrams drive on jet fuels. That’s a jet on wheels. Too expensive, too burdensome. Leopards 2 or 3 are better suitable for European wars. That’s why all except Poland want the German tanks. 645 leopards are on order book.

jet fuel is not something magical , ordinary people call it kerosene
not too expensive or hard to find

I accept that only if it manage to do that not when you compare it to previous generation tanks and say because it is better than them then it can manage that scenario

I do not think that I have posted something that cannot be understood. Not my problem if you cannot understand anything about tanks.

I really admire your persistence to try to talk sense into these yahoo, when they know a giant sum of zero about how Tank works, I once have a dude come up to me and say all armour vehicle (that's Tanks, IFV, APC, CFV and LAV) need to be able to survive tanks and AT hits.......

Anyway, if we talks about tanks, the dead spot is not the back, nor the top, the dead spot for tank is the underbelly, you can't put armour in transmission system, which mean if you hit anything below the sprocket, it is 100% guarantee going thru, so for a tank, there are 2 different types of protection

1.) Pre-Contact Protection
2.) Post-Contact Protection

Pre-Contact protection is the protection your tank offered BEFORE the round hit your tanks, armour works in different way, you have reactive armour on the side and sloped armour on the front, reactive armour detonate the round before it make contact the hull, while slope armour would strengthen the hull armour and also deflect incoming round. Most people don't know this (You probably need to be a tanker to know) but most high velocity round deflect away from your sloped armour without detonation. Because of the angle of the armour and the fuze of the round.

Post Contact protection is what protect against the crew and more importantly the magazine holder of your tank, crew compartment are lined with kelvar and steel, which protect against blast damage, but the thing that hurt the most is the sonic boom on contact, tanks are pretty much a steel cage, so everytime a round penetrated into the hull you will have an echo chamber effect on the sonic boom generated by the high velocity round. On the other hand, an explosion to an unprotectted magazine compartment would cook the round and that inturn detonate inside said echo chamber, hot gas cannot escape the tank, and it will result in the kettle effect when you literally blow the lid off the tank, this is where and why when a Russian tank blow, the gun and the turret would simply blown up sky high, and that detonation is not survivable.

For a tanker, you want to protect the ammo compartment and have channel top vent the gas out when there is a hit, which is why an Abrams comes with titanium steel magazine compartment and positive pressure chamber, what it basically do is to negate both effect I mentioned above (the hot gas and the ammo cook off) which mean any hit is survivable compare to other contemporary tanks

Thanks for this insightful post. M1 Abrams has best design among all tanks, this design continues to prove its value decades after its conceptualization.

there is no way these tanks can be used in large flat country like Ukraine

the jet engine on the Abram relies on a huge logistics base with fuel

used singly in Ukraine their service would be cut way to short and Iraqis knocked out M1 with RPG to back of the M1 due to poor cover at the rear due to the hot exhaust escapes

M1 is the most over rated tank in history

btw the latest M1 costs over $25 million each when you add in all the share of the nightmare logistics

thats 6-7x cost of a T90, this would never work

if you really want to look at a World Class tank look at the Leopard 2A7+ or 2A8

If Australia has managed to maintain a fleet of M1, Ukraine can as well. Ukraine does not need a large count of M1, 100 will be sufficient and impactful. US can help Ukraine maintain a fleet of M1 if necessary.

M1 combat losses are much lower in comparison to other commonly used tanks in any front. Iraqi M1A1M is much less capable than latest variants but gave tough time to ISIS in numerous battles:

Some of the losses that you will see on YouTube are not true losses but the crew destroyed the tank by planting explosives inside the tank to prevent its capture. These photos are used by some to mislead audience with false claims.

Saudi army is grossly incompetent so its showing is disregarded; I have seen photo of a perfectly working M1A2 abandoned by Saudi troops somewhere in Yemen. These people cannot fight.

M1 has best design among all tanks, this design provides excellent protection to crew and continues to prove its value decades after its conceptualization. Let's have a look at what a military professional has to say:

Also check my detailed response in following post:

Modern German tanks are barely used and tested in combat situations. WE saw Leopard 2A4 flop in Syria and WE now see Leopard 2A4 and 2A6 flop in Ukraine. These tanks have poor ammo storage arrangement just like in Russian tanks and even ISIS knew how to exploit this weakness, I have already conveyed this reality to you.

The latest M1A2 SEPv3 is built to survive and counter numerous threats:

You may appreciate Leopard 2A7+ and 2A8 but I would prefer to sit in an M1A2 SEPv3 in war because of its merits. War is not a trial, bud.

jet fuel is not something magical , ordinary people call it kerosene
not too expensive or hard to find
Ok I can get diesel, super, gasoline around the corner, but can you tell me where can I get jet fuels? It’s all about logistics. The US is hesitant to provide Abrams that’s why. You need infrastructure.

Ok I can get diesel, super, gasoline around the corner, but can you tell me where can I get jet fuels? It’s all about logistics. The US is hesitant to provide Abrams that’s why. You need infrastructure.
every refinery produce it . kerosene also called white oil , before our natural gas lines reach many remote places were used in household for cooking and lights
every refinery can produce it . now a days it may seem hard to consider it as easy reach material specially as its replaced by LNG and natural gas in many places but its cheaper and easier to produce than the gas you use in your car , its easier to transport as unlike petrol it won't explode

even this guy 1200 year ago explained how to produce it

I do not think that I have posted something that cannot be understood. Not my problem if you cannot understand anything about tanks.
you are like the guys who taught it was impossible for titanic to sink

every refinery produce it . kerosene also called white oil , before our natural gas lines reach many remote places were used in household for cooking and lights
every refinery can produce it . now a days it may seem hard to consider it as easy reach material specially as its replaced by LNG and natural gas in many places but its cheaper and easier to produce than the gas you use in your car , its easier to transport as unlike petrol it won't explode

even this guy 1200 year ago explained how to produce it
Yes it’s easy to make jet fuel it’s cheaper than gasoline. The issue with M1 tanks is fuel consumption.
In terrains Leopards 2 needs about 500 liter per 100km, M1 drinks almost 1,500 liter.

Back
Top Bottom