What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

Time will tell on how effective the sanctions impact Russian weapon production. All I am stating, is Russia only needs mediocre chips. Even technology on par with PS1 is useful because it's proven technology.

If you have even a standard microprocessor, it may take years to get the S/W ported to another similar microprocessor. You also have to redesign all the circuit boards. Then you run into problems even with discrete parts like capacitors.
Not a lot of companies make miniature capacitors forcing use of much larger stuff, and then the result may not fit mechanically.

Absolutely correct. But Russia is not multiplying like rabbits: its fertility ratio is 1.55, much less than 2.1 needed to sustain population. So its going down the same population reduction trajectory as its European adversaries. Rate of population decline (and this is moscow times reporting: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/07/29/russias-population-decline-hits-record-rate-a78437) has gone by 3x in the last 2 years.

The one advantage that the Western Countries have is the desire of immigrants from Asia/Africa to move there to offset some of the decline. Even the suffering Yemenis won't want to move to Russia voluntarily.

Its very likely that with some foresight, today's chips may have been forward purchased and there is some supply to address today.

But microprocessors are subject to speed/cost 'Moore's Law': the ability to make faster and faster chips. Building new chips that are smaller and faster requires sophisticated equipment. Lithograph machines that allow 7nm and smaller ones to be made using UEV extreme ultra-violet techniques. That production chain is all controlled by western suppliers. Russia aside, even China is now restricted from receiving these starting this year.

So in 6months to a year this won't matter much. But in 3-4 years when the faster processing speed was needed for the next generation air defense or stealth fighter when the western adversary has faster processing for its AI algorithms, than the pain will be more pronounced. Imagine using your iPad from 6 years to do your work/entertainment apps: you can feel the pain ( I have an older one that I use just to experience the pain and then I shut it).

The point I am making military technology, even US weapons, rely on older technology. For consumer purposes this technology is obsolete, but for military they don't need the latest chips.

Last edited:

Kiev government has committed crimes against humanity when it started shelling Donbas civilians in 2014 right after Euro Maidan. If anything, Putin bring Kiev to international tribunal. UN Charter legalizes military action if the purpose is to protect civilians from brutal regimes.
What humanity? They are militant separatists, not Red Cross. In many places China, Russia they will be shot and asked later. Why you don’t complain there? I can understand reactions many countries in Europe consider Russians as fifth column. They want to ban all Russians.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Thursday to increase the size of the Russian armed forces from 1.9 to 2.04 million, RIA Novosti news agency reported.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom