What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

LOL All you have to do is browse in this thread and read the comments from dear honorable members. We are almost a year into the war. Just saying.

Dude, Russians have captured strategic areas and are now pushing for more. The more you guys rant in this topic the worse the situation gets for Ukraine. I think it is better for you guys take a pause. Perhaps that might improve the situation for Ukraine.

Nice to see you so triggered. 👍 Your words don't mean a thing LOL

You are really not worthy of my words but I assure you one day you will get the boot where the sun doesn’t shine….

If you are asking me, they might think of Bakhmut as a slow but "sure" way to lower Ukrainian manpower. How successful their effort is? I have no idea.

Basically I think they are trying to create an equation, "I have 5 times as many soldiers as they do, so if I constantly lose 4 soldiers for every 1 Ukrainian casualty, I will eventually win" and Bakhmut might be a way to constantly achieve those numbers.

The problem I saw is that if Russia want to degrade Ukrainian Manpower, they would have stop the siege and just use artillery and bomb the shit out of Bakhmut, because the Russian is the one that's attacking, it makes absolutely no sense at all to mate with the number of degradations to the Ukrainian, it's like an assassin who try to assassinate someone by lining his own head in front of the gun....

Russia wants to mount a Spring Offensive, which mean if that was their ultimate goal, then their main goal from now until then is to preserve manpower because that is what counted when you suddenly dump a major portion of manpower and resource to try to break the Ukrainian line, unless Russia is not lacking of Manpower and doing this to show that they could do this, that wouldn't make any sense to waste manpower like that before a serious push. And we KNOW their rank are depleted, otherwise they would not heavily rely on PMC and they would not mobilise their reserve.

So, it wouldn't make any sense to try to degrade Ukrainian manpower by throwing unknown amount (all we know is a lot) of Russian manpower into a defensive line which you know they have a better tactical situation than you.

But then this is assuming Russian Command structure is competent, which by all account on how they persecute the first 10 months of the war, show that they are anything BUT competent....

Australia is a insignificant country propped up by their penal masters. If Japan hadn't been defeated by US, India and China Autsralia would sure have been occupied by the Japs. Free land is the basis of Australia's successful rich class. Perhaps you should read real history and not colonial tainted history?

Where did Indian soldiers fight in ww2?

Image result for where did the British indian soldiers fight in w1 and ww2

Indians fought with distinction throughout the world, including in the European theatre against Germany, North African Campaign against fascist Italy, and in the southeast Asian theatre; while also defending the Indian subcontinent against the Japanese forces, including British Burma and the Crown colony of Ceylon.
If you claim this, then weren't American, French, Greece, Belgium, Canada, Dutch all have a hand saving Australia?? How about Australia saving Britain from the German by positioning its troop in North Africa?? Or How American saving the Soviet or how the Soviet saving the British by drawing the entire 6th Army during Operation Barbarossa?

WE ALL DID OUR PARTS. That's the end of the spectrum here, so if we go by your "Definition" then it should be "The Rest of the World saving the rest of the world that were not part of Axis Power" You can't apply approximation on who defeat who because there are a group of people who do ACTUAL defeating their enemy. In Australia case, the DIRECT threat come from Ports Moresby, and we Australian, along with the US Army, NOT the British, NOT the British Indian, NOT the Chinese who defeated them in Port Moresby, if the Japanese captured that port, then their next stop is undoubtedly Darwin, on the other hand, that is an unknown because we don't know, and WILL NEVER KNOW, if the Japanese can mount a Naval Assault from Port Moresby since it did not happened, and also if they were already beaten back at Port Moresby or Kokoda, then what make you think the same army have the ability to invade, let alone conquer Australia which is bigger than the entire land area Japan conquered in South Pacific combine??

I WAS A MILITARY OFFICER, I don't do fantasy.

The problem I saw is that if Russia want to degrade Ukrainian Manpower, they would have stop the siege and just use artillery and bomb the shit out of Bakhmut, because the Russian is the one that's attacking, it makes absolutely no sense at all to mate with the number of degradations to the Ukrainian, it's like an assassin who try to assassinate someone by lining his own head in front of the gun....

Russia wants to mount a Spring Offensive, which mean if that was their ultimate goal, then their main goal from now until then is to preserve manpower because that is what counted when you suddenly dump a major portion of manpower and resource to try to break the Ukrainian line, unless Russia is not lacking of Manpower and doing this to show that they could do this, that wouldn't make any sense to waste manpower like that before a serious push. And we KNOW their rank are depleted, otherwise they would not heavily rely on PMC and they would not mobilise their reserve.

So, it wouldn't make any sense to try to degrade Ukrainian manpower by throwing unknown amount (all we know is a lot) of Russian manpower into a defensive line which you know they have a better tactical situation than you.

But then this is assuming Russian Command structure is competent, which by all account on how they persecute the first 10 months of the war, show that they are anything BUT competent....

If you claim this, then weren't American, French, Greece, Belgium, Canada, Dutch all have a hand saving Australia?? How about Australia saving Britain from the German by positioning its troop in North Africa?? Or How American saving the Soviet or how the Soviet saving the British by drawing the entire 6th Army during Operation Barbarossa?

WE ALL DID OUR PARTS. That's the end of the spectrum here, so if we go by your "Definition" then it should be "The Rest of the World saving the rest of the world that were not part of Axis Power" You can't apply approximation on who defeat who because there are a group of people who do ACTUAL defeating their enemy. In Australia case, the DIRECT threat come from Ports Moresby, and we Australian, along with the US Army, NOT the British, NOT the British Indian, NOT the Chinese who defeated them in Port Moresby, if the Japanese captured that port, then their next stop is undoubtedly Darwin, on the other hand, that is an unknown because we don't know, and WILL NEVER KNOW, if the Japanese can mount a Naval Assault from Port Moresby since it did not happened, and also if they were already beaten back at Port Moresby or Kokoda, then what make you think the same army have the ability to invade, let alone conquer Australia which is bigger than the entire land area Japan conquered in South Pacific combine??

I WAS A MILITARY OFFICER, I don't do fantasy.

Australian soldiers rest in the Finisterre Ranges of New Guinea while en route to the front line during March 1944
Active1939–1945
CountryAustralia
AllegianceAllies
TypeArmy
Size80,000 (September 1939)
476,000 (peak in 1942)
730,000 (total)

Look at the British Indian army , MORE THAN 2.5 Million soldiers:-

2.5 million Indian troops

At the height of the second World War, more than 2.5 million Indian troops were fighting Axis forces around the globe.

Did I mention you specifically by name? There are plenty of members that were boasting how Russia was going to be a walkover. Neither has Russia been a walkover economically and neither has Russia been defeated militarily. Let's face it, Russia has managed to sustain the war without too much fuss. On the contrary, the war in Ukraine has impacted the entire world economically and in various other ways.

You should be worried about China Russia nexus because the war in Ukraine has brought the two closer than ever. You say that Russia is going to beg Beijing for money. Russia and China see it as a partnership. Don't take this partnership lightly. You have your work cut out for you.

The Americans and its Western partners wanted to tackle China and Russia seperately. That doesn't seem likely anymore.
Ok that’s fair.
However that’s a relationship between the two unequal brothers China and Russia. consider this. Russia economy is all about oil and gas. Without oil and gas Russia is nothing. The world is transitioning away from oil and gas, what’s Putin’s plan for the future?
We are middle of winter usually people expect the gas price will hit the roof however it hits a newest low. Today I filled my car with gasoline so cheap than ever before 1.60 euros per liter (was 2.20 euros)

1672258199600.png

Ok that’s fair.
However consider this. Russia economy is all about oil and gas. Without oil and gas Russia is nothing. The world is transitioning away from oil and gas, what’s Putin’s plan for the future?
We are middle of winter usually people expect the gas price will hit the roof however it hits a newest low. Today I filled my car with gasoline so cheap than ever before 1,60 euros per liter.

View attachment 908179

Russia can survive with the help of China and India. India is buying a good amount of oil and gas from Russia. The same applies for China. Russia isn't necessarily in a terrible position.

Russian main industry:

Complete range of mining and extractive industries producing coal, oil, gas, chemicals, and metals; all forms of machine building from rolling mills to high-performance aircraft and space vehicles; defense industries (including radar, missile production, advanced electronic components), shipbuilding; road and rail transportation equipment; communications equipment; agricultural machinery, tractors, and construction equipment; electric power generating and transmitting equipment; medical and scientific instruments; consumer durables, textiles, foodstuffs, handicrafts

Russia is a huge country and it has a solid domestic market.

Russia can survive with the help of China and India. India is buying a good amount of oil and gas from Russia. The same applies for China. Russia isn't necessarily in a terrible position.

Russian main industry:

Complete range of mining and extractive industries producing coal, oil, gas, chemicals, and metals; all forms of machine building from rolling mills to high-performance aircraft and space vehicles; defense industries (including radar, missile production, advanced electronic components), shipbuilding; road and rail transportation equipment; communications equipment; agricultural machinery, tractors, and construction equipment; electric power generating and transmitting equipment; medical and scientific instruments; consumer durables, textiles, foodstuffs, handicrafts

Russia is a huge country and it has a solid domestic market.
That’s the point. Russia can survive with China, India as buyers. Putin hates the West so much that he destroys everything western in Russia and then hand over the country on the silver plate to China and India.
As for diversity, Russia national resources make up 60 percent of total exports. If you add national resources related items as fertilizer, grains then percentage is even higher.
As Russia army sucks, people will begin to shun Russia weapons. Will you buy Russia nuclear technology when Putin threatens with nukes? All that will hurt Russia badly.

Australian soldiers rest in the Finisterre Ranges of New Guinea while en route to the front line during March 1944
Active1939–1945
CountryAustralia
AllegianceAllies
TypeArmy
Size80,000 (September 1939)
476,000 (peak in 1942)
730,000 (total)

Look at the British Indian army , MORE THAN 2.5 Million soldiers:-

2.5 million Indian troops

At the height of the second World War, more than 2.5 million Indian troops were fighting Axis forces around the globe.
Again, you are talking about elsewhere in the war, not who save Australia, let alone whether or not Australia needed saving.

Soviet have a 15 million army too, does that mean Soviet alone win WW2?

Dude, you are delusional. Plus, this is seriously off topic, I mean, if you want to open up a thread and talk about how Indian saved Australia, be my guess, I may or may not indulge in that delusional thread. This is about Russian-Ukrainian war. And you are talking about Bakhmut, unless you have your professional Military insight you can offer as to why Russia wants to take Bakhmut that badly, again, I am not into fantasy, maybe in the bedroom with my wife doing a little bit roleplay, but that's it.

Again, you are talking about elsewhere in the war, not who save Australia, let alone whether or not Australia needed saving.

Dude, you are delusional. Plus, this is seriously off topic, I mean, if you want to open up a thread and talk about how Indian saved Australia, be my guess, I may or may not indulge in that delusional thread. This is about Russian-Ukrainian war. And you are talking about Bakhmut, unless you have your professional Military insight you can offer as to why Russia wants to take Bakhmut that badly, again, I am not into fantasy, maybe in the bedroom with my wife doing a little bit roleplay, but that's it.

Just challenging your delusional Australian self importance and highlighting the insignificant penal colony country that you are. Don't forget your history.

Just challenging your delusional Australian self importance and highlighting the insignificant penal colony country that you are. Don't forget your history.
I never said anything about "Australian" self importance, you pull this off the bag out of nowhere. The original post you quote me with this is why I question Bakhmut is important.

And I don't consider my root to be in this "Penal Country" I was born in America. So if you want to challenge me, go challenge that. Otherwise you can shove it up to someone who cares.

4 hr 39 min ago

It's past 4 p.m. in Kyiv. Here's what you need to know​

From CNN staff

If you're just joining us, here's everything you need to know about Wednesday's developments in Russia's war in Ukraine.
Russian shelling continues: Moscow struck Oleshky and Kherson in the south and Kharkiv in the east.
  • The shelling in Oleshky killed at least one man, injured five others, and damaged a high-rise building and kiosks on the town’s market, according to Mayor Yevhen Ryshchuk.
  • Russia hit Kherson city 23 times in the past 24 hours and the larger Kherson region was impacted 50 times, said Yaroslav Yanushevych, head of the Kherson regional military administration. The strike targets included a maternity ward where there were no casualties, according to Kyrylo Tymoshenko, deputy head of the office of the president of Ukraine. However, other shelling did injure three civilians to varying degrees, officials said.
  • A district of the northeastern city of Kharkiv was hit with rockets on Wednesday, injuring one civilian, according to Oleh Syniehubov, the head of the Kharkiv regional military administration.
11e565c6-b6d0-45c3-8aa3-9c8c445b732f.jpg

Moscow bans oil supply to countries that agreed to price caps: Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Tuesday banning oil supplies to countries that have introduced a price cap on Russian crude oil at $60 a barrel, according to the decree published on the Kremlin’s website — a move that may prove to be largely symbolic. The United States, Canada, the European Union, Japan, the United Kingdom and Australia all agreed to the price cap.
The power situation in Ukraine: The electricity deficit in the Ukrainian power grid grew on Wednesday due to shelling of gas infrastructure in eastern Ukraine, according to the latest update from state power utility Ukrenergo. While the deficit did not mean further power restrictions due to relatively warm weather, "the available capacity in the system is not enough to meet all the needs of consumers in the country," Ukrenergo said, adding that all regions have been informed about consumption limits. Ukraine has been facing a wide assault on critical infrastructure and power sources since early October, with the power grid suffering through nine missile and 12 Russian UAV attacks, according to Ukrenergo.

These must be the famous Russian armor division I keep hearing about.

Pro tip: Point the turret backward when moving.
environmental terrorists.

Russia-Ukraine WarUkraine Steps Up Efforts to Evacuate Kherson Residents​

• Give this article

1. Kyiv

KyivA Ukrainian soldier's funeral.
    Laura Boushnak for The New York Times
  2. Zhytomyr region

Zhytomyr regionUkrainian soldiers in a trench near the border with Belarus.
    Viacheslav Ratynskyi/Reuters

3. LymanUkrainian soldiers walking on tracks left by military vehicles.
    Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

4. BuchaResidents donating blood.

5. BakhmutSmoke from Russian strikes.
    Libkos/Associated Press

6. BuchaThe funeral of a Ukrainian soldier.

7. BuchaA concert for Ukrainian soldiers.

8. BakhmutResidents collecting bags of coal.
    Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

9. DolynaWalking past a destroyed monastery.
    Sameer Al-Doumy/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Here’s what we know:​

The government is offering free train rides and cash payments to those who choose to leave the embattled city.

Moscow takes aim at Kherson City with missiles and rockets.

Workers carrying furniture from a hospital maternity unit in Kherson, Ukraine, on Wednesday after Russian shelling damaged the building.

Workers carrying furniture from a hospital maternity unit in Kherson, Ukraine, on Wednesday after Russian shelling damaged the building.Credit...Dimitar Dilkoff/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Workers carrying furniture from a hospital maternity unit in Kherson, Ukraine, on Wednesday after Russian shelling damaged the building.

Russian forces launched a missile attack and nearly three dozen rockets at Kherson City over the past day, the Ukrainian military said on Wednesday, and officials called on residents to evacuate the embattled southern city where Moscow has stepped up artillery strikes.
The strikes hit a maternity ward where at least five women were recovering after giving birth, according to Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of the Ukrainian president’s office. “Miraculously, no one was hurt,” he said.
Images shared by Mr. Tymoshenko on Telegram, the social messaging app, after the strike on Tuesday showed blown-out windows, a hole in the roof and piles of rubble in one of the rooms.
Kherson has been battered by shelling since Ukraine retook the city last month, with Russian forces using new defensive positions on the opposite bank of the Dnipro River to launch near-daily barrages at the city. At least 10 people were killed in the city in shelling on Saturday, officials said.
On Tuesday, Ukraine’s Ministry of Reintegration renewed a plea for residents to leave Kherson, quoting Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk as saying, “The enemy does not stop shelling.” The ministry, which helps manage affairs in land that had been occupied by Russia, said on Facebook that about 300 people were departing Kherson every afternoon on an evacuation train headed west to the city of Khmelnytski. Most of them are older people, those with reduced mobility, women and children.
Passage on the evacuation trains is free of charge, with the Ukrainian government urging civilians to leave regions of active fighting and spend the winter in safer areas to the north and east. The government has promised free shelter and cash payments to those who heed the call to evacuate.
The toll of Russia’s war has continued to grow. The United Nations’ human rights office, in its latest tally of civilian casualties in the war, said it had recorded the deaths of 6,884 people in Ukraine due to fighting as of Monday. Nearly 11,000 people had been wounded, the office said, while emphasizing that in both cases the real figures were likely to be “considerably higher.”
Shashank Bengali

Exxon Mobil sues to try to block Europe windfall tax.

Exxon Mobil storage tanks in the Netherlands in 2021.

Exxon Mobil storage tanks in the Netherlands in 2021.Credit...Peter Dejong/Associated Press

Exxon Mobil storage tanks in the Netherlands in 2021.

Exxon Mobil has tried to block what it called a “counterproductive” new windfall tax imposed by the European Commission as part of efforts to ease the sting of soaring energy prices across the 27-nation bloc.
The American oil giant’s subsidiaries in Germany and the Netherlands filed a lawsuit in the General Court of the European Union in Luxembourg on Wednesday. The court must now decide whether to take up the case, which claimed that the European Council lacked the authority to impose the tax.
Since the disruption to fossil fuel deliveries to Europe following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, major oil and gas companies have raked in multibillion-dollar profits, while consumers have faced energy prices that have more than doubled.
Exxon said earlier this year that the tax would cost the company $2 billion through 2023. The company reported global profits of $20 billion for this year.
A spokesman for Exxon Mobil, Casey Norton, said that while the company recognized the burden that high energy bills have placed on families and businesses in Europe, it did not agree that a windfall tax would solve the problem.
This tax will undermine investor confidence, discourage investment, and increase reliance on imported energy and fuel products,” Mr. Norton said. “European industries already face a very real competitiveness crisis, and governments should be supporting the production of reliable and affordable energy.”
The European Council, which is the executive branch of the E.U., passed the tax under a clause that allows it to surpass the bloc’s parliament in emergency situations, which Exxon argues is overreaching the body’s authority. The tax is to take effect Dec. 31.
Individual E.U. member states have enacted their own policies to try to spread the pain of high energy bills.
This month, the German Parliament passed legislation aimed at halting spiraling electricity and gas bills for households and industry by capping the price of gas and electricity based on last year’s levels. The package, which sets limits on bonuses for managers of companies benefiting from the law, is funded by a levy on energy producers’ excess profits. The law, which is expected to raise 100 billion euros, or $106 billion, will take effect in March but function retroactively from January.
Melissa Eddy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom