What's new

RUSSIA starts work on second 5th generation fighter.

A STOVL Version would be very apt for the Navy for its carrier based needs ....
the design ... seems to as Benny stated ... look capable of that ...

Lets pray the MoD guys listen to us and go for it.. :lol:

compare it to

so alike

Come on, except of the normal stealth shapings that any stealth fighter has, they look very different. Nose, air intakes, wing design, engine nozzels...

Just Gone Through GOOGLE

I Think this is how it is --

Pak FA - a sukhoi project

FGFA - joint venture between Sukhoi and HAL , will be based On Pak FA

LMFS - A migoyan project

Exactly, but Mig only proposed these designs, the chances of such a fighter at the moment are pretty low, by the fact that they have not enough funds for Pak Fa. More likely could be the Mig Scat UCAV, that might follow Pak Fa.

Yeah. I doubt that there would be any Indian involvement (unless AMCA needs some "consultancy help"). Frankly because we are not rich enough to maintain 3 different types of 5G fighters yet and also don't see the requirement of an additional one. 2 types of 5G fighters (PAKFA/FGFA and AMCA), 2 types of 4.5G fighters (MRCA and Tejas series) and UAVs and UCAVs are IAF's intention.

However, I have a feeling that Russia might invite Latin America, Eastern Europe and Southeast (Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia) for this project as it intends to compete in JSF's market.

Venezuela is only too eager to buy Russian weapons, Vietnam's amazing rise in economy, boosted by a highly volatile security situation as seen recently and emerging closeness to a possible Russia-India-Vietnam triangle makes these 2 countries most viable options. Who knows even Thailand might join in which their good economy and future considerations.

^^^^
I don't think Russia will start a new 5th gen. development project like MIG-LMFS any soon.
Bcoz we are helping 50% financially in PAK-FA/FGFA project. These guys are facing enough problems developing one plane.
When PAK-FA will get developed,then they will have a good experience in developing 5th gen. fighter. That will help them to reduce the development cost of next 5th gen. fighter(like MIG-LMFS if they want to develop it further)

Guys Guys.

Forget MiG, unless Mig-35 sells in good numbers, MiG design bureau is as good as dead.

OR if Russian govt gives it a lifeline.
MiG-35 is a last attempt at Fulcrum family, man. Remember that MiG-29 SMT standard has already got a considerable sale in Southeast as well as other parts. MiG-35 was a modification as per what we had asked in the beginning.

There are more chances of they can K-ize the MiG-35 and offer them as carrier based medium fighters. SAAB has recently targeted a niche market with modifying their JAS-39 to "Sea Gripen" standards for countries having or wanting to have small carriers. MiG-35K can be a good potential for such countries.

We already placed order for 45 of them and so did the Russian Navy; but I doubt that either of us will be getting more of them. Russian Navy chief mentioned in an interview (RIA Novosti) that by the time the new aircraft carrier(s) to replace Kuznetsov and new classes arrive (4 intended for now), Russian Navy will want a PAK-FA naval version to be ready and the study for K-izing the PAK FA are already into consideration.

After seeing this, I was of the mind that we should scrap off the proposed tender for jets of the IAC-2 that will come around 2020.

Well India can consider this project for Navy cause as already mention that these planes are light weight so we can use them on our future Aircraft Carriers

Well India can consider this project for Navy cause as already mention that these planes are light weight so we can use them on our future Aircraft Carriers

No need to, simply go for a naval FGFA, besides a 4.5 gen naval MMRCA and we have the best possible combo for all roles and the highest commonality!

naval MMRCA.. Is it still on... ????

Will there be a high drama like the IAF one ?? :lol:

naval MMRCA.. Is it still on... ????

Will there be a high drama like the IAF one ?? :lol:

With the F35 option pretty much out, I guess they simply will choose the MMRCA winner, if it offers a naval version and as you know, imo Rafale and F18SH are leading the race. Both would complement a naval FGFA quit good in roles like secondary strike, tanker role, if available EW. Another stealth fighter instead would offer pretty much the same as FGFA, when it has the same design features like the Mig designs, or AMCA.

I hope IN joins the FGFA program at this stage. The russians are not in any hurry regarding the naval PAK FA ( contrary to what many posters here believe).

Russian Navy to get fifth generation carrier fighter after 2020

The appearance of a fifth generation fighter in Russian naval aviation will not happen before 2020, the outgoing head of the air forces and air defense forces of the Russian Navy, Lt. General Valery Uvarov told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.

Previously, representatives of the armed forces command and Defense Ministry had said a new naval fighter based on the Sukhoi T.50 design could enter service around 2016.
"It's difficult to say when this aircraft will enter naval service. First it will go into service with the air force, and then be 'navalised.' To build a new aircraft from scratch costs huge money, it's irrational and not competent. Conditions might be suitable by 2020," he said.

FGFA has a much better potential of becoming a highely customised 5th gen carrier based MRCA than anything else out there (including PAK FA).

P.S. As with the N LCA, potential of a N AMCA remains an unsolved mystery (may have a happy ending or a sad one)

Another stealth fighter instead would offer pretty much the same as FGFA, when it has the same design features like the Mig designs, or AMCA.

At least with AMCA it will not be the same. It can complement N FGFA very nicely. However, will navy need such a significant power projection ability is doubtful at best!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom