What's new

Russia proposes to Iran to organize licensed production of Russian T-90S tanks

I hope a big segment of our defense budget goes on air defense. Tanks aren't that important in the foreseeable future.

Air defense, ballistic missles by the millions, and strong navy.

I say wait little bit and instead of T-90s go directly for Armata. Or have some elites units equipped with Armata and rest equipped with T-90s with local production.

The meaning of that is very clear. That Iran is not interested in buying T-90 which is an old tank.

Iran is fishing for T-14 Armata production line.

Though the highest priorities for Iran should not even be these tanks. Iran needs air defense systems, electronic technologies and fifth generation fighter jets.

I doubt Russia will export armata anytime soon .. The T-90S itself is an export model .. not the latest or the model Russia uses itself. Russia is notorious for only selling export models.. Indians themselves got screwed on the t-90s deal ..

5th generation fighters..
US
RUSSIA
CHINA
are the only nations that are developing them.
US won't sell em to Iran... That leaves Iran with PAKFA & J series.

They are not reliable , at best we should buy some parts for tanks and pay after we receive and test those parts ...

Can you start a thread with detailed info on Zulfiqar MBT? Thanks.

This is an excellent offer. Iran however should only take it up if the Russians are willing to release T-90's sub systems for Iran's own tank, the Zulfikar.

With whom are Persians going to fight a land war ?

Their enemies are across the gulf,

Can you start a thread with detailed info on Zulfiqar MBT? Thanks.

actually , there are some problems :

1- Enhanced Carbon Steel - our Companies don't produce suitable carbon steel that can be used in Armored vehicles and other Countries didn't and won't sell some thing like Hardox carbon steels to us ( or they offer it with higher price )- Sanction

2- Engine - our car industries are just like vampire ( and drinking people blood after 50 years of supporting them ) and doesn't produce any useful things, so our Defense ministry has to produce everything by itself ....
3- We don't have suitable industrial block that can produce tank in one place , so we should fund a Industrial company for it ...
4- Electrical parts and sub System !!!
5- Active Defense System
6- Budget .... ( it need 5-15 billion dollars budget for building all of these side companies and develop necessary technologies for first Tanks )

but the main problem is Our Defensive Doctrine !! it is based on a scenario that we are are going to face USA in battle ; and in this scenario , Tanks and other Armored vehicle are just helpless targets for USA Air superiority .... that why our Generals and Officials don't like investing money on Tanks ...

I should add that we can build some Tanks in low number ( 5-10 Tanks per year ) but we have problem to mass producing Tank with low price ... and our army can't afford to buy expensive Tanks ....

side note : there is some talk to continue Zulfiqar Project with foreign helps ( China and Russia or even east Europe countries ) to decrease cost of project ....

there is some rumors that after involving in Iraq and Syria , IRGC commanders asked for armor vehicle and IRGC are working to develop a Tank ( or continue Zulfiqar project ) !!!

Last edited:
I think we need just 5000-15000 infantry mobile vehicle ( in first phase ) ... and for signing a deal to produce this kind of cars under license is easier than buying Tank and it is more easier to include them to our Defensive Doctrine ....

there is some options :
1- continue our project ( Youze and .... ) -- I don't see any hope because they don't take these project seriously
2- produce these vehicle under licenses ...

there is some options :

Gaz_Tiger --- > Russia !!!
Cobra II ---->: Turkey !!

I think we should negation with Turks , they are far more reliable than Russians and Their Cobra I is battle tested ( so Cobra II should be better than Cobra I ) ... it will be a win-win deal for both side ...

Since the Sanction is lifted why Iran can open the door for global Market and check out some Advance Tank Globally.
Why it has to depend on Russian always. I believe India and China Played a big role in lifting sanction.

Tank
German, Chinese, Turkey and Russian (They can look for Arjun too, good for Iranian environment).
For Upgrade of T72 Ukraine is the best option or they can buy Israeli technology via India.

Armored Vehicle
Ukraine, Poland, Russia and Korean

Artillery
Chinese, Korea, India, British and Singapore

Mine Protected Vehicle
India, China, Korea, Ukraine and Poland

Iran Should follow India's pattern and open the door for global market and choose the best and not depend on one country.

I think we need just 5000-15000 infantry mobile vehicle ( in first phase ) ... and for signing a deal to produce this kind of cars under license is easier than buying Tank and it is more easier to include them to our Defensive Doctrine ....

there is some options :
1- continue our project ( Youze and .... ) -- I don't see any hope because they don't take these project seriously
2- produce these vehicle under licenses ...

there is some options :

Gaz_Tiger --- > Russia !!!
Cobra II ---->: Turkey !!

I think we should negation with Turks , they are far more reliable than Russians and Their Cobra I is battle tested ( so Cobra II should be better than Cobra I ) ... it will be a win-win deal for both side ...
everyone in Iran is a military strategist. And i wonder why do we suck so much in long-term planning.

Dumass commanders of IRGC should take it to PDF and listen to its new Iranian member chevil. Cause he knows best

everyone in Iran is a military strategist. And i wonder why do we suck so much in long-term planning.

Dumass commanders of IRGC should take it to PDF and listen to its new Iranian member chevil. Cause he knows best

Don't be harsh on him, bro. He is just giving his opinion, although I admit he sometimes doesn't do it in the best communication manner.

Back
Top Bottom