What's new

Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal

That's great, I think they should increase quantity too, because now Gaza is catching up. :D :)

Ya ragel! :lol:

LOL! Why did I say artillery, I meant cannons. They were very interesting and all over the Sinai I've seen M1A1's near Al Arish and military vehicles with mounted m-240b machine guns.

Cannons come under artillery anyway. When did you see the M1s?

Yeah you do need them but I heard US won't allow integration...I'm not sure but there should be more freedom for all those systems for the EAF....

It's restricted due to the Egyptian Armed Forces not signing CISMOA which allows the US to monitor our communications and have unrestricted access to their weapons systems for checks among other things. It's a violation of national security basically.

Ya ragel! :lol:

Can't wait till we start stealing your Kornet-E :D :omghaha:

Cannons come under artillery anyway. When did you see the M1s?

That was back in 2011 after the revolution the army was deployed everywhere including Cairo, then after the chaos in 2013 I entered Egypt on my to Cairo and they always have military vehicles all over the place and I've seen choppers in the skies. I didn't spot any F16's but in Gaza Israeli F-16's were all over the place 24/7, LOL. :lol:

It's restricted due to the Egyptian Armed Forces not signing CISMOA which allows the US to monitor our communications and have unrestricted access to their weapons systems for checks among other things. It's a violation of national security basically.

That's pathetic from the US...what do you expect from them anyways...

Hopefully this is an serious attempt to challenge Israel's attempts of hegemony of the region. Somehow it would not surprise me the slightest if the Americans have "permitted" this deal. So I am not sure if this is a good deal.

What do you say @Hazzy997 ?

I hope that this deal will also benefit KSA and UAE.

@Yzd Khalifa can you elaborate more.

Hopefully this is an serious attempt to challenge Israel's attempts of hegemony of the region. Somehow it would not surprise me the slightest if the Americans have "permitted" this deal. So I am not sure if this is a good deal.

What do you say @Hazzy997 ?

I hope that this deal will also benefit KSA and UAE.

@Yzd Khalifa can you elaborate more.

I see it as good but small development as of now because it's more along lines of modernization and these missile defense systems are medium altitude. So maybe Egypt wanted something more or else and they couldn't get it.

These weapons alone can't challenge the Israeli Air Force if it entered Egyptian airspace but in some ways it can be effective against other military aircraft. It's a good start though.

For the Kornet-E it is not a significant game changer but is a great weapon to keep forces mobile and it will complicate ground invasions. This is how Hezbollah used them in 2006 Israel had to take lots of time to make advancements in small towns because they weapons serve that purpose to break their initial strategy.

I hope Egypt and Hamas come to an agreement to allow tunnels to operate freely again in return Hamas will crackdown on any salafist organizations, this why we can support the economy in Gaza but also allow Hamas to arm itself with more advanced high quality weapons to make sure Gaza will not see a time like it did in the past. If Egypt wants it could let Hamas operate on some areas of the Sinai so they can take care of the bad smugglers and watch out for Israel collaborators in the area.

Can't wait till we start stealing your Kornet-E :D :omghaha:

You can try, however, I think you will find a laser pointed straight at teez elghaby who is trying to steal it! :lol:

That's pathetic from the US...what do you expect from them anyways...

There's a saying in Egypt and the Egyptian military as a whole, "whomever is covered by the Americans is in reality naked".

The Americans don't have any influence on what Egypt procures from other nations, although it may use its influence on those nations not to sell us certain weapons, usually doesn't work, the dollar trumps all.

I agree @Hazzy997 . But you know that I am sometimes suspicious when it comes to certain unnamed countries ugly hands in our ancient and beloved ME region.

@Frogman

Thanks for that explanation. But don't you think it is funny that the money given by KSA and UAE to Egypt to seal that arms deal is done with RUSSIA as the exporting party? I mean KSA and UAE don't actually have good ties with Russia. That's quite funny but I guess that's politics of the ME. As strange as they are, LOL.

@al-Hasani @Frogman

You see Hasani problem is Egypt doesn't have proper terrain in Sinai to deploy serious effective missile defense systems because they cannot conceal them well it's all a flat desert.

Also they need them in the Sinai to prevent an Israeli Air Force incursion.

This is why I wish they would acquire HQ-9 missile defense system but they would need underground complexes to fortify them.

What do you say Frogman?

@al-Hasani @Frogman

You see Hasani problem is Egypt doesn't have proper terrain in Sinai to deploy serious effective missile defense systems because they cannot conceal them well it's all a flat desert.

This is why I wish they would acquire HQ-9 missile defense system but they would need underground complexes to fortify them.

What do you say Frogman?

@Hazzy997 Sinai is the most mountainous part of Egypt.

Other than that then you are right, I am afraid.

I agree @Hazzy997 . But you know that I am sometimes suspicious when it comes to certain unnamed countries ugly hands in our ancient and beloved ME region.

@Frogman

Thanks for that explanation. But don't you think it is funny that the money given by KSA and UAE to Egypt to seal that arms deal is done with RUSSIA as the exporting party? I mean KSA and UAE don't actually have good ties with Russia. That's quite funny but I guess that's politics of the ME. As strange as they are, LOL.

I know, I would favor maybe China in that case. Iran makes some good alternatives to these weapons too but they have a different strategy when it comes to military tactics.

Thing with Egypt is like they get some new weapon systems but without much integration capabilities or modifications. So essentially they can't put all their resources toward a war scenario like training. Some are security based intended systems. They should turn that around.

@Hazzy997 Sinai is the most mountainous part of Egypt.

Other than that then you are right, I am afraid.

I don't want to come out sounding stupid but I believe our nations need to adopt a mixed military doctrine rather than modern approach based off foreign doctrines. For example, Iran had a neat military doctrine where they have an irregular approach to war since they know a conventional war cannot be won if it's fought in a normal sense and they don't have enormous budget or Air Force quality so they resort to irregular warfare and to be honest this is effective in a way.

Look at Hezbollah in Lebanon, you would be shocked how they've managed to pull some things off especially with their locational advantage they can really manage to fire rockets intensively and also maintain their resources because they do such a good job with their military tactics. For example, they have undergoing openings where trucks with katuysha rocket launchers drive forward and fire all rockets in seconds and go back in place without being detected. Ill show you what these look like with a video and they've managed to do this in Gaza but Gaza is difficult because it is a plain.

We can't challenge the status quo with regular modern military approach.

Last edited:

The Egyptian Armed Forces is financing the deal. It's international relations, if you have principles you don't prosper for long.

Also they need them in the Sinai to prevent an Israeli Air Force incursion.

Concealment isn't an issue because these weapon systems won't be static if deployed to the Sinai. They will accompany mechanised/Armoured divisions into the Sinai providing a mobile SAM umbrella against the IAF. That doesn't mean that there aren't any static air defence systems though. Contrary to popular belief there are SAMs in the Sinai just not in some areas due to the peace treaty, that can be overcome though.

No military in the world fortifies their air defence equipment. Plus, we have the PAC-3, there's no need for the HQ-9.

I know, I would favor maybe China in that case. Iran makes some good alternatives to these weapons too but they have a different strategy when it comes to military tactics.

The majority of what Iran produces is old reverse engineered Soviet or American weaponry with upgrades and a new lick of paint.

Thing with Egypt is like they get some new weapon systems but without much integration capabilities or modifications.

Integration capabilities? modifications?

Whatever the Egyptian Armed Forces buys or orders is because it requires it, whether that is to your or my liking is irrelevant, whatever they want they will buy.

So essentially they can't put all their resources toward a war scenario like training

So holding the biggest combined arms exercises in our history over the past year was what!?

Some are security based intended systems. They should turn that around.

Nope.

Concealment isn't an issue because these weapon systems won't be static if deployed to the Sinai. They will accompany mechanised/Armoured divisions into the Sinai providing a mobile SAM umbrella against the IAF. That doesn't mean that there aren't any static air defence systems though. Contrary to popular belief there are SAMs in the Sinai just not in some areas due to the peace treaty, that can be overcome though.

Can you go more into detail about this? How well did it work in the past? The IAF has enormous surveillance capability that is the problem.

No military in the world fortifies their air defence equipment. Plus, we have the PAC-3, there's no need for the HQ-9.

I will look into the PAC-3

The majority of what Iran produces is old reverse engineered Soviet or American weaponry with upgrades and a new lick of paint.

Egypt could use their mortars, grad rockets, anti tank weapons, and similar equipment.

Integration capabilities? modifications?

Whatever the Egyptian Armed Forces buys or orders is because it requires it, whether that is to your or my liking is irrelevant, whatever they want they will buy.

Huh? That's fine bro ....no need to get frustrated because we are making suggestions and discussing something outside of the usual.

So holding the biggest combined arms exercises in our history over the past year was what!?

What exercise? For what?

I'm basically saying out of the package military vehicles/armor are mobilized for security purposes in Egypt, some of them are this way and it makes them feel like they play different objectives but they have a large amount of armor so this shouldn't disappoint you.

Can you go more into detail about this? How well did it work in the past? The IAF has enormous surveillance capability that is the problem.

It didn't work in the past because we didn't have this capability. It lead to the death of about 3000 Egyptians after Sadat ordered armoured formations to advance beyond out SAM umbrella under the behest of the pinned down Syrians. Concealment is a thing of the past, with breakthroughs in electronic warfare and countermeasures visually identifying a target doesn't necessarily mean you can do anything about it.

Egypt could use their mortars, grad rockets, anti tank weapons, and similar equipment.

Already produce all those, several mortar types (no need for new ones), Sakr family of unguided rockets (pretty much equal to the American M270), TOW variants are produced under license when required (no need for more, Iran produces nothing better). Iran has nothing to offer Egypt, not even ballistic missiles.

Huh? That's fine bro ....no need to get frustrated because we are making suggestions and discussing something outside of the usual.

It's cool.

What exercise? For what?

Last December alone: Plus the Navy was with the Saudi's in Morjan. The EAF had a few planes in Greece and France. There's a lot more going on than you think even in a time of instability.

I'm basically saying out of the package military vehicles/armor are mobilized for security purposes in Egypt, some of them are this way and it makes them feel like they play different objectives but they have a large amount of armor so this shouldn't disappoint you.

It's only because the interior ministry kind of collapsed after the revolution.

@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY

Do you share me and @Hazzy997 's concern about Israel and their attempts of undermining Egyptian unity? I want to know if the young generation of Egyptians regardless of religion or political views still see Israel as a danger as long as they have a hostile policy towards the Arab world and helping spreading chaos in our region? I assume that to be the case.

I do not believe that this will change until the Palestinian-Isreali conflict is solved.
We just can't ignore all the troubles that Israel is covertly creating so we are critical for this reason.

Nice video.:)

Last edited:
@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY

Do you share me and @Hazzy997 's concern about Israel and their attempts of undermining Egyptian unity? I want to know if the young generation of Egyptians regardless of religion or political views still see Israel as a danger as long as they have a hostile policy towards the Arab world and helping spreading chaos in our region? I assume that to be the case.

I do not believe that this will change until the Palestinian-Isreali conflict is solved.
We just can't ignore all the troubles that Israel is covertly creating so we are critical for this reason.

Nice video.:)
we feel threaten by isreal of course but the people of Egypt are more foucesed on our problems 3 years of ritos and unrest have been hard on us and we have so many problems inside Egypt

Back
Top Bottom