What's new

Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal

No, it doesn't. The Egyptians will be replacing their MiGs, F7s, and Mirages with the JF-17, while the rumored 24 MiGs will be a new platform.

To be exact 200-208 older Types needs replacement mirage III/V, mig-21, F-7 and F-4 Phantoms.

F-16s
Total 240-260 Blk 40/42/52 [20 ordered mostly likely those 20 would replace entire F-4 fleet leaving 1 squadrons to be fulfilled with a Type which means Mig-29s could take over]

Mig-29 24? contract remains to be seen

F-7/Mig-21/Mirage III/V [replacement with ? no idea]
Total 177-187

F-4 [0 another type comes in either F-16s or Mig-29]

4.5th Gen? Seems no plans

5th Gen? Seems no plans

My views, SU-30/35 should have been a much better option instead of mig-29/mig-35...if the deal is half cash half soft loans based than to take advantage of such a deal [soon to be] with a better option keeping in view neighbors going for F-35s like Turkey/israel.

Last is EAF looking to keep the Numbers around 450/25 squadrons or to keep highly capable aircrafts and reduce the number to 370ish or 20+1 squadrons.

:lol:

I believe the problem with the Mig-35 is that its AESA radar isn't mature enough yet, if any one can correct me on that there would be no problem. The Mig-29M2 is exactly the same as the Mig-35 but without the AESA radar, although if needed in the future the radar on the Mig-29M2 can be replaced incredibly easily.

Is the Mig 35 still in development or ready for production

Can the Egyptians realistically hope to replace all of their 3rd gen fighters with 4th gen ones ? I think that not even China is doing that.

Can the Egyptians realistically hope to replace all of their 3rd gen fighters with 4th gen ones ? I think that not even China is doing that.

Yes....China is replacing F-7/A-5 Fantans/J-8s with J-10s and J-11 series.

Eventually EAF would have to replace 1970's F-7s and 1960's mig-21 and 1960s-70s mirage III/V with 4th Gen aircrafts provided they are willing to spend and serious for capabilities not like toothless F-16s without BVRs and other capable weapons that US is not selling/refusing to provide for the last 30 years.

FC-1/JF-17 is 4+ Gen with block 3 it would be 4++
J-10 A-B/J-11variants/J-15/J-16/JH-7 variants/SU-30MKK/MK2/SU-27 are all 4++/4.5 Gen.

Last edited:
Yes....China is replacing F-7/A-5 Fantans/J-8s with J-10s and J-11 series.
Eventually EAF would have to replace 1970's F-7s and 1960's mig-21 and 1960s-70s mirage III/V with a 4th Gen aircrafts.

FC-1/JF-17 is 4+ Gen with block 3 it would be 4++
J-10 A-B/J-11variants/J-15/J-16/JH-7 variants/SU-30MKK/MK2/SU-27 are all 4++/4.5 Gen.

That i understand but would it be a 1/1 replacement ?.I find that hard to believe and from what i know China won't replace them on the same parity.

That i understand but would it be a 1/1 replacement ?.I find that hard to believe and from what i know China won't replace them on the same parity.

In case of Egypt we don't know but they tend to keep up with the numbers comparing themselves to Israel...on the other hand China has their own requirements they are a major power they would not want to cut the Squadron Numbers so expect perhaps 17/18/20 aircrafts per Squadron, they can afford it if look at their GDP only 2% of total.

But my opinion not that its matters I think EAF would not want to go below 370ish Number that is roughly 20 Squadrons slashing some 5 Squadrons perhaps one of the Squadron [20+1] gets Chinese AEW&Cs in case of FC-1/JF-17 deal as a package offer.

Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal – media - News - Economy - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Egypt has reportedly struck a deal with Russia to buy $2 billion worth of military equipment. This is according to the Egypt Independentwho has cited a senior official in Cairo. Saudi Arabia and the UAE have agreed to pay the price on Egypt’s behalf.

According to the source, Moscow and Cairo spent the past few weeks thrashing out the new arms deal, which was first tabled in November 2013 when Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu came to Cairo on an official visit.

The first batch of cutting-edge Russian weapons will be delivered by the mid-2014. The money will be paid in installments, the paper said.

@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY .....any idea what weapons these will be?

Other than Russian stuff, Why not from Pakistan ask UAVs, Super Mushak, 100+ JF-17s Block-IIs...

As 250 JF-17s(100 Block-II and 150 Block-IIIs) would easily replace MiG-21s, F-7s, F-5 and even Mirage-Vs from their fleet.

Here is an article about the Mig-29 M\M2 the EAF is supposedly getting 24 of them.

And here is why the EAF should have gotten the Su-35 instead....

Hope you guys enjoy reading....

Attachments

• Meet the MiG-29 M-M2.pdf
    828.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Why the Su-35 not the Mig-29 M-M2.pdf
    440 KB · Views: 90
Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal – media - News - Economy - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Egypt has reportedly struck a deal with Russia to buy $2 billion worth of military equipment. This is according to the Egypt Independentwho has cited a senior official in Cairo. Saudi Arabia and the UAE have agreed to pay the price on Egypt’s behalf.

According to the source, Moscow and Cairo spent the past few weeks thrashing out the new arms deal, which was first tabled in November 2013 when Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu came to Cairo on an official visit.

The first batch of cutting-edge Russian weapons will be delivered by the mid-2014. The money will be paid in installments, the paper said.

@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY .....any idea what weapons these will be?

Why not 100 JF-17s along with some 30 MiG-29s

To be exact 200-208 older Types needs replacement mirage III/V, mig-21, F-7 and F-4 Phantoms.

F-16s
Total 240-260 Blk 40/42/52 [20 ordered mostly likely those 20 would replace entire F-4 fleet leaving 1 squadrons to be fulfilled with a Type which means Mig-29s could take over]

Mig-29 24? contract remains to be seen

F-7/Mig-21/Mirage III/V [replacement with ? no idea]
Total 177-187

F-4 [0 another type comes in either F-16s or Mig-29]

4.5th Gen? Seems no plans

5th Gen? Seems no plans

My views, SU-30/35 should have been a much better option instead of mig-29/mig-35...if the deal is half cash half soft loans based than to take advantage of such a deal [soon to be] with a better option keeping in view neighbors going for F-35s like Turkey/israel.

Last is EAF looking to keep the Numbers around 450/25 squadrons or to keep highly capable aircrafts and reduce the number to 370ish or 20+1 squadrons.

I am sure a total of 250 JF-17s would be enough for them along with F-16s they have. They should look towards joining in the Russian on submarine program and welcomes Libya, Algeria and Tunisia as well.

As 250 JF-17s(100 Block-II and 150 Block-IIIs) would easily replace MiG-21s, F-7s, F-5 and even Mirage-Vs from their fleet.[/quote]

Cause the Chinese\Pakistani JF-17s are no match for what the EAF needs, yes the Jf-17 has its advantages, like it can be assembled locally in Egypt (The Egyptians had an assembly line for the Chinese\Pakistani K-8 Karakourm - 120 units), and they are cheap too, but, what Egypt needs is to adopt a high-low mix, and they low end is already there with the F-16s the EAF have, half are Block-40 or higher, and the rest almost modernized, so what they need is something like the Su-35 for the high end part. Also the KLJ-7 radar used on it with only 75km detection range for 3m2 targets simply not good enough for the EAF given the capabilities of the Israeli Air Force and their F-15I radars, not to mention they, the IAF are about to get the F-35 JSF too with an AESA radar.

egypt should stay with the usa. saudi must pressure them to not join russia. how can even they allow this to happen? r u aware on side of this proxy war between arabs is russia?!

Back
Top Bottom