What's new

Ruptly: Taiwan: Supporters celebrate in Taipei as Pres. Tsai Ing-wen wins re-election

Actually Wu Den-Yih, KMT Chairman should have let the Foxconn guy, Terry Gou run for president instead of Han Guo-Yu. I had prefer Terry Gou and was disappointed when Han Guo-Yu was push up the stage instead.
Han Guo-Yu had just won the race for Kaohsiung mayor and had wanted to focus on Kaohsiung.

Yeah. Terry Gou is a better choice.

HGY is a joke, even my Taiwanese friends said so. The way he presented himself lost him many votes.

HGY is a joke, even my Taiwanese friends said so. The way he presented himself lost him many votes.
Were they chose Guo, they wouldn't have lost so much. After such a humiliation, and giving Greens 5 years of free reign, I doubt that GMD will be able to come back from that in the same shape and form.

GMD will have to have a small internal putsch to oust reactionary factions, and allow reform, or they are done for.

HGY did singlehandedly led GMD to a landslide victory in the last local elections with his HGY 'wave". He was a fresh face then. WDY wanted to hitch on to his 'wave' to win the presidential election. But he destroyed it.
Terry Guo would have carry created a new wave. He is a strongman.

It doesn't matter who the next KMT candidate is. I think China has realized peaceful unification is a pipe dream and always has been. I'd start looking for places to emigrate if I was a diehard green from Taiwan. Some gaps just can't be negotiated or bridged.

From a green perspective, unification with mainland is death of democracy. For China, being constrained by a pro-US Taiwan means American can cut its economic future short and shake the legitimacy of the Communist party. They are fundamentally competing interests.

Taiwan is a showdown between US and China as the top dog in Asia. As dismissive as it sounds, public opinions in Taiwan are irrelevant in this contest. The island is not in control of its destiny.

Back
Top Bottom