What's new

Rs40b irregularities detected in PM’s Covid package

I posted a video showing IK's speech that he would commit suicide but would never ask for loan. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? Did he not go back on his word? Does it matter whether he said that in 2015 or 2018?

Waise I posted a lot of points on Munafiq-e-Aala!!

I cannot watch the video at this time, write instead; and FU** NS!!! Who gives a damn about him or his words? It is Ishaq Dar who was a magician with the economy and I admire his skills above all.

We are already witness to it, no? exports growing to the point where PPP took it (including export of sugar and wheat, how smart!!). Remittances are increasing because of PTI???? You really are a class act!!!
and I asked if you have any video of 2018.

Yes its matter. In 2015-2016 pmln took loan of IMF, even IMF fell for fake dar report of great gdp.
by 2018, pmln burn around $15 billion or more of loan without increase of export or remittance to keep rupees on fake value to show the world they are doing good. g 2018 mifta ismail was saying buy PIA and get Steel mill for free.

BY 2018, pakistan totally collapse going to bankrupt because reseve was only left $9 billion which ever decreasing in millions every week.

before going to imf, imran khan delayed it and try to took help from china, saudia,uae and then last option was imf.

See not all have ghajni memory.

I can see from your flag that you are in UAE, right? Is it NOT true that the Government has waived off all debt of the locals in UAE multiple times? Is it not true that speeding and parking fines of locals are waived off regularly? Is it not true that the Government promotes UAE citizens and imposes UAE recruitment on all foreign firms? All that is to pacify the citizens of UAE, which has an authoritarian dictatorship. You, ofcourse are expandable and that is why you will never even get Nationality there. So please do not preach to me about UAE.
100% right, that is true that the locals got compensation from their government. They are working expatriates side by side. UAE government has a great vision for their nation.
Our leaders only have a vision for London and Switzerland.
Just see the documentaries on how they transformed the UAE from 1974~today in 35years, you could not comprehend it. Take a look at Pakistan where you are standing today after 70 years, still begging to IMF and 'Muslim Brotherly Nations' and if Pakistani's kept the same attitude towards their so-called visionary thieves/leaders, you will see their generation to come will remain baggers and will be kept crying on high dollars exchange rates.

As for your assumption, I have travelled far and wide, I am a dual citizen who chooses to live in Pakistan and have spent over 10 years in different countries! I travel frequently for work and recreation and my most recent trip was to Europe, last month! And so your foolish assumptions about others is a joke on yourself. And to clarify further, I have lived in Pakistan since 2009 when I returned from UAE after living there for 2 years, leaving only for short to medium 1-4 week travels all over the world!
So even of the opportunity from traveling extensively abroad by you; my 'foolish assumption' is that you were unable to change your 'idiotic attitude' and your are a bigger or can say the Pakistani joke of the century. Rather than educating yourself with positive developments of their, you are keeping on admiring the thieves/murderes of the nation.

Finally, I wasn't legitimizing looting by PML or PPP; I was merely trying to convey that corruption/looting under PTI has only gotten worse and that this time around the management is also extremely incompetent, all over.
If your are not ligitimizing then why indulging is such useless debate, leave the $hit of PTI/PMLN/PPP/MQM behind and embark on the path of 'how to develop' this nation from such foolish politics which is not our saviors; the system of thief ruler of the West/USA for the slaves.

Last edited:
I can understand your youthia mentality and perhaps the reason you have given for my not being able to comprehend it actually the reason I do understand things quite clearly.

I mean if someone cannot understand something as trivial as the effects of instability on the economy of a country caused by a youthia leader who takes the capital hostage with the help of establishment, then that someone cannot understand anything. And then he can most definitely not understand that the textile industry, along with other export oriented industries, left Pakistan under PPP rule because of shortage of power which started under Musharraf and climaxed under PPP and that it took PML a few years to produce surplus power, which PTI has inherited and because of which industry has started to grow again.

And I finally agree, it is stupid indeed to continue engagement with someone as 'simple' as a youthia! Someone as shameless as a youthia cannot be engaged when he is so ignorant of the condition of a common Pakistani today than what it was in 2017; someone who is so blind to see how everything has gone up by a magnitude of 10's to 100's of times! And especially someone who does not consider Pakistan fit to live in but his right to tell us Pakistanis how good the Government is!!!!

You are typical slave ... and must be a Punjabi too! Sindh and Punjab are infested with your kind.

and I asked if you have any video of 2018.

Yes its matter. In 2015-2016 pmln took loan of IMF, even IMF fell for fake dar report of great gdp.
by 2018, pmln burn around $15 billion or more of loan without increase of export or remittance to keep rupees on fake value to show the world they are doing good. g 2018 mifta ismail was saying buy PIA and get Steel mill for free.

BY 2018, pakistan totally collapse going to bankrupt because reseve was only left $9 billion which ever decreasing in millions every week.

before going to imf, imran khan delayed it and try to took help from china, saudia,uae and then last option was imf.

See not all have ghajni memory.

Rather than a memory issue, it is an issue of conscience; what was haram for Dar was halaal for Imran Khan, what was haram in 2015/16 was magically halaal in 2018! And countries go to IMF when they are desperate so if Imran Khan had options when he came into power then it means that we weren't in a desperate situation as you all have been advocating from the start.

I recall many here defending speeches by Altaf Hussain, I used to defend MQM myself, till I got fed up of its BS! Let's see how long you'll continue to defend PTI!

And stop being fooled and coming across as ridiculous by claiming that Pakistan was bankrupt; if that was indeed the case, Imran Khan would have approached the IMF on the first day of his governance!

100% right, that is true that the locals got compensation from their government. They are working expatriates side by side. UAE government has a great vision for their nation.
Our leaders only have a vision for London and Switzerland.
Just see the documentaries on how they transformed the UAE from 1974~today in 35years, you could not comprehend it. Take a look at Pakistan where you are standing today after 70 years, still begging to IMF and 'Muslim Brotherly Nations' and if Pakistani's kept the same attitude towards their so-called visionary thieves/leaders, you will see their generation to come will remain baggers and will be kept crying on high dollars exchange rates.

I know people can be dumb and they can be excused for that, but there is a limit to this acceptability! UAE did NOT magically transform into this state but was provided this opportunity when UAE found Oil and Abu Dhabi started drawing Oil exporting it through Dubai (mostly). It is wisdom that the leaders at that time capitalized on the opportunity but it is outright insane comparing their dictatorship with our struggle between dictatorship and democracy!

So even of the opportunity from traveling extensively abroad by you; my 'foolish assumption' is that you were unable to change your 'idiotic attitude' and your are a bigger or can say the Pakistani joke of the century. Rather than educating yourself with positive developments of their, you are keeping on admiring the thieves/murderes of the nation.

The joke is actually on you as your vision is as limited as are your assumptions and posts. Your nonsense rant, jumping in between discussion oblivious to the larger topic at hand, and complete ignorance of matters on ground are just beyond logic. I tried, and failed, to educate you on the difference between admiring and advocating. Imran Khan has done that to our youth and that is another loss he has caused Pakistan.

If your are not ligitimizing then why indulging is such useless debate, leave the $hit of PTI/PMLN/PPP/MQM behind and embark on the path of 'how to develop' this nation from such foolish politics which is not our saviors; the system of thief ruler of the West/USA for the slaves.

It is an attempt to explain to youthias on this forum how PTI Government has devastated an already fragile economy and ecosystem. Something which, sadly, is beyond your comprehension.
You are typical slave ... and must be a Punjabi too! Sindh and Punjab are infested with your kind.

Urdu speaking actually. And a slave only to my circumstances, which have changed like those of all the other Pakistanis whereby I find it harder to impossible to live the same lifestyle I am used to and was living till 2017 and perhaps even 2018 as my income, like that of other Pakistanis, is almost stagnant whereas inflation has soared some 60% in 3 years.

Far away in UK, you can admire Imran Khan and PTI because it causes you no difference!

Rather than a memory issue, it is an issue of conscience; what was haram for Dar was halaal for Imran Khan, what was haram in 2015/16 was magically halaal in 2018! And countries go to IMF when they are desperate so if Imran Khan had options when he came into power then it means that we weren't in a desperate situation as you all have been advocating from the start.

I recall many here defending speeches by Altaf Hussain, I used to defend MQM myself, till I got fed up of its BS! Let's see how long you'll continue to defend PTI!

And stop being fooled and coming across as ridiculous by claiming that Pakistan was bankrupt; if that was indeed the case, Imran Khan would have approached the IMF on the first day of his governance!
there is no cure for patwarism and bughz imran i can tell you this.

I share the videos, i share economist views, i shared bloomberg headlines. All can be seen in the video I share maybe you didnt watch if not go and check and then comment.

Pakistan was nearly bankrupt. If not the case then ik would not have gone to china, saudia, uae for loans rather just allow for imf and be done.

Will see the result of exporte, remittance and reserves left by pti then will make my final judgement.

there is no cure for patwarism and bughz imran i can tell you this.

I share the videos, i share economist views, i shared bloomberg headlines. All can be seen in the video I share maybe you didnt watch if not go and check and then comment.

Pakistan was nearly bankrupt. If not the case then ik would not have gone to china, saudia, uae for loans rather just allow for imf and be done.

Will see the result of exporte, remittance and reserves left by pti then will make my final judgement.

Economist Views? You shared a small clip by this person AKD who has destroyed the lives of perhaps thousands of Pakistanis with his manipulation of the Stock Exchange, he is simply the Malik Riaz of stock exchange and in no way a financial expert. As for the condition of Pakistani economy, perhaps you should read up on Moody's, IMF, World Bank etc., on Pakistan's economy till Dar and the then PM were removed. This things effect the economy and so things in 2018 were not as rosy as they were in 2017 and despite all that, we WERE NOT BANKRUPT!

Besides, there is always a tough time for incoming Governments as the caretaker Governments are not mandated to run the economy and hence those 2-3 months are always difficult for the country. But a good Government always comes out of it. Ishaq Dar immediately went to IMF when PML came to power and his was the only program to ever successfully conclude with IMF in the history of Pakistan.

And I seriously wonder why it is so hard for you guys to understand that not everyone who calls a spade a spade is PML supporter. I dislike Imran Khan not for his munafiqat but because of what he has done to the economy. I would have been fine if he had only managed the economy at the level it was left by PML but he has made me, and my fellow Pakistanis, a lot poorer and there is still no relief in sight. It is not just me whose expense has increased by 40%-60% whereas income has increased at most 15%. Is this what was promised?

Economist Views? You shared a small clip by this person AKD who has destroyed the lives of perhaps thousands of Pakistanis with his manipulation of the Stock Exchange, he is simply the Malik Riaz of stock exchange and in no way a financial expert. As for the condition of Pakistani economy, perhaps you should read up on Moody's, IMF, World Bank etc., on Pakistan's economy till Dar and the then PM were removed. This things effect the economy and so things in 2018 were not as rosy as they were in 2017 and despite all that, we WERE NOT BANKRUPT!

Besides, there is always a tough time for incoming Governments as the caretaker Governments are not mandated to run the economy and hence those 2-3 months are always difficult for the country. But a good Government always comes out of it. Ishaq Dar immediately went to IMF when PML came to power and his was the only program to ever successfully conclude with IMF in the history of Pakistan.

And I seriously wonder why it is so hard for you guys to understand that not everyone who calls a spade a spade is PML supporter. I dislike Imran Khan not for his munafiqat but because of what he has done to the economy. I would have been fine if he had only managed the economy at the level it was left by PML but he has made me, and my fellow Pakistanis, a lot poorer and there is still no relief in sight. It is not just me whose expense has increased by 40%-60% whereas income has increased at most 15%. Is this what was promised?
This is why go through again i not only share AKD but talk shows clips, bloom berg headlines as well in the video if you couldnt check it then check now.

anyways as i said there is no cure for patwarism and bughz imran.

I know people can be dumb and they can be excused for that, but there is a limit to this acceptability! UAE did NOT magically transform into this state but was provided this opportunity when UAE found Oil and Abu Dhabi started drawing Oil exporting it through Dubai (mostly). It is wisdom that the leaders at that time capitalized on the opportunity but it is outright insane comparing their dictatorship with our struggle between dictatorship and democracy!
Yes, you are proving with your baseless knowledge and stunted growth, your corrupts/thieves/murderer leaders to whom you are following and admiring only looted the country to make happy slaves like you. You will unable to see the light on your horizons as you keep following and admiring without thinking ahead.
In the UAE oil is only exported on a commercial basis by Abu Dhabi, Dubai and other Emirates only developed themselves by their own struggle and that was commerce/trade, rule of law, and a strong system. Remember no corrupt was there to loot and stuffed the money abroad, it is only in DNA of Pakistani 'politicos'. While people with attitudes like you provide all support to the corrupts/liars/murderers of Pakistan.
Don't cover your failure/corruption/lootings and deny the other nations' visionary development by only saying 'It was OIL'; and all your failure to be blamed to dictatorship. All the developments in various fields of Pakistan are based on the era of Ayub; all corruption and adverse activities and negative attitudes only developed in the so-called 'demoncracy' of politicos of Pakistan; just go and read the history rather than sitting on the keyboard and supporting/admiring/loving thieves of Pakistan.

The joke is actually on you as your vision is as limited as are your assumptions and posts. Your nonsense rant, jumping in between discussion oblivious to the larger topic at hand, and complete ignorance of matters on ground are just beyond logic. I tried, and failed, to educate you on the difference between admiring and advocating. Imran Khan has done that to our youth and that is another loss he has caused Pakistan.
Corruption/murderers supporter could only start wrangling in discussion like you are doing now. All idiotic philosophy to support thieves/murderers/looters/liars is in your posts; You trying to educate others ha.ha.ha. Go and start it from your nearest ones. So you feel much pain from IK ...! what credentials does he get? Oh, I see he is the least corrupt and that is giving you immense pain. He is only the least corrupt as an individual rest all your MQM/PMLQ are allied to him on the other hand absconders/Lotas from PPP/PMLN/PMLQ are around him. So be happy your brands are still in the market and on-demand by supporters of such corrupt systems.

It is an attempt to explain to youthias on this forum how PTI Government has devastated an already fragile economy and ecosystem. Something which, sadly, is beyond your comprehension.
Sadly a corruption/liars/murderer follower is on a preaching spree. 70 years passed and still a fragile economy/ecosystem? Give it a name, why afraid to tell about the looters/murderers/land grabbers/hoarders among your rank and file to whom you are supporting with die-hard zeal?

Urdu speaking actually. And a slave only to my circumstances, which have changed like those of all the other Pakistanis whereby I find it harder to impossible to live the same lifestyle I am used to and was living till 2017 and perhaps even 2018 as my income, like that of other Pakistanis, is almost stagnant whereas inflation has soared some 60% in 3 years.

Far away in UK, you can admire Imran Khan and PTI because it causes you no difference!
Oh so basically your sympathies seem affiliated to be with MQM, now I have some idea that why are you against normality.
If you were recently in UAE for some time as you mentioned, could you tell the price of a cup of tea/tandoori roti/a tray of eggs/can of Pepsi; just a few to name. The price soared to 100%. You kept on ignoring and downplaying such facts and trying to convince others to follow the corrupts/murderers/thieves/liars.

Wow look at all this post well i will suggest one thing for those individualls who think PTI aint that competent to run the country on the next elections please by all means vote to them god fathers to come back in power and bring Pakistan to Stoneage then i will point out who is better who is not.
Also people doesnt seem to understand all the crap Pakistan faced for last decade thanks to previous governments on top we got COVID everything cannot be resolved with a magic wand.

The only problem with PTI is Imran is a geniune person alas the team he is got aint that competent enough unfortunately and nor they want him to run things the way he wants.

Besides corruption is in blood of every Pakistani individuall what do you expect of that country whos own denzens are corrput in nature always looking for shortcut ways for making a quick buck.
Guess this will make some sense on our esteemed friends here. :-)

Shows each and every department is still corrupt. Why did we vote this moron if he cant stop corruption and cant improve economy or governance.

Shows each and every department is still corrupt. Why did we vote this moron if he cant stop corruption and cant improve economy or governance.
Well then what do you advise who shall we go for then ?
Nawaz, Mariam, Bilawal, Shabaz, Hamza?

Well then what do you advise who shall we go for then ?
Nawaz, Mariam, Bilawal, Shabaz, Hamza?

If this dumb moron is no better than those smart corrupts, id prefer a smart corrupt.

Auditors attempted to scrutinise Rs354.3 billion expenses but did not get all records
View attachment 797021

After holding on to it for nearly six months, Pakistan on Friday gave in to the International Monetary Fund’s pressure by releasing the audit report of expenditures incurred on Covid-19, disclosing over Rs40 billion irregularities in operations.

The findings of the Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) –the constitutional body – showed misprocurement, payments to ineligible beneficiaries, cash withdrawal through fake biometrics and procurements of substandard goods by Utility Stores Corporation (USC) for consumption.

The release of the report by the Ministry of Finance is one of the five prior actions that the IMF has asked Pakistan to implement if it wants to get the $1 billion loan tranche by January next year.

The auditors attempted to scrutinise Rs354.3 billion expenses but did not get all the records, the report showed. From the record of expenses and procurements available, the auditors have unearthed Rs40 billion irregularities.

The maximum irregularities of over Rs25 billion were found against Rs133 billion spent under the banner of the Benazir Income Support Programme, which was equal to 19% of its spending. The USC spent Rs10 billion but the auditors raised questions on Rs5.2 billion or 52% of its spending.

The National Disaster Management Authority’s spending was Rs22.8 billion and the auditors raised a red flag on Rs4.8 billion or around 21% of the spending.

The defence ministry also had doubtful and irregular spending to the tune of Rs3.2 billion while other government departments had dubious expenses to the tune of Rs1.5 billion, showed the report.

This report is based on the audit of the accounts of government agencies and departments involved in relief activities at the federal level for the year ending June 30, 2020, to the extent of expenditure related to Covid-19.

This includes all government allocations, loans and grants received or repurposed from the foreign donor partners for dealing with Covid-19. The IMF had also given a $1.4 billion loan under the Covid relief package.

The key issues highlighted by the AGP were “instances of mis-procurements, delays in the delivery of procured items, procurement without proper need assessment, instances of weak financial controls, lack of proper record-keeping and non-production of records to audit authorities”.

Also, there were issues about lack of warehouse management, issues in the distribution of equipment, advance payments to supplier firms without properly securing guarantees, data problems resulting in the release of cash grants to both spouses in the same family and beneficiaries excluded by NADRA during profiling checks, the release of cash grants to the insured persons and pensioners of EOBI and beneficiaries from both BISP and Zakat.

The auditors also caught serious issues like payment to ineligible beneficiaries like government servants, pensioners and their spouses, taxpayers and to those having poverty scores above the cut off scores approved by the federal cabinet and the BISP board.

“Weak monitoring and implementation resulting in withdrawals through fake biometric and withdrawals out of the district of registration, irregular and unjustified prequalification of flour mills by the USC” were among the other issues.

There were also issues of service delivery under the Ehsaas Emergency Cash Programme that resulted in non-disbursement of cash transfers to 1.32 million enrolled beneficiaries.

In order to combat the pandemic, the prime minister approved Rs1.24 trillion Economic Stimulus Package on March 24, 2020. The key objectives of the relief package were to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, provision of medical and subsistence relief to citizens and support to business and economy.

The amount released out of the announced package was Rs354.2 billion till June 30, 2020.

Rs314b promised but not given

“The finance ministry issued Rs314 billion less supplementary grants from the PM’s stimulus package due to which citizens of Pakistan could not avail the complete benefit of the announced package resulting in suffering, economic hardship and many private factories laying off their workers during Covid-19 process,” revealed the report.

Read more Islamabad swallows bitter IMF pills

Against Rs200 billion promised to daily wagers, only Rs16 billion were distributed among them. The vulnerable families were promised Rs150 billion but given Rs145 billion. The Utility Stores package was Rs50 billion but was given Rs10 billion. There was a promise to pay Rs100 billion electricity and gas bills but the actual payments were Rs15 billion.

Key irregularities

The NDMA was the main coordinating agency for relief activities in the country. Against Rs33.3 billion funds that the NDMA received, it spent Rs22.8 billion. But the auditors found glaring irregularities.

“During the course of the audit, a number of instances of mis-procurements, weak contract management, delays in delivery of procured items, improper storage management etc were observed.”

The auditors found mis-procurement on account of the installation of Resource Management System (RMS) by the NDMA with Rs42.5 million cost. A million-dollar loss was caused to the public exchequer on account of purchase of ventilators at higher rates and China donated $4 million for construction of 250 beds Isolation Hospital and Infections Treatment Center (IHITC), but the money was never used. There were cases of overpayment to Chinese firms on account of the procurement of ventilators.

The NDMA did not adjust advances of Rs690 million against payments made to the Frontier Works Organisation for the renovation of Haji Complex, Rawalpindi, provisions of quarantine facilities in Karachi and establishment of the National Control Room during the financial year.

During the course of the audit of NDMA, a considerable number of record and allied documents were not produced for audit scrutiny despite repeated written and verbal requests.

The NDMA did not impose liquidated damages on supplier firms causing a loss of Rs2.7 billion and $8.3 million.

BISP

The BISP utilised Rs133.3 billion during the fiscal year 2019-20 and 13.1 million beneficiaries were paid.

The audit observed Rs6.6 billion payments to relatively better-off 484,402 beneficiaries due to the absence of any clear policy which needs to be addressed before making any related future payments.

There were irregular payments of cash transfers to government servants including pensioners and their spouses to the tune of Rs1.84 billion. Wrong profiling of beneficiaries resulted in the release of cash transfers to both spouses worth Rs1.6 billion.

Over Rs16 million payments of Covid-19 cash transfers were made to those beneficiaries who had filers’ status and were well-off. There was also a case of withdrawal of Covid-19 cash grants from both BISP and Zakat by the same beneficiaries worth Rs318.7 million.

Also read Public confidence in economy wanes

The auditors pointed out irregular payment of cash transfers to beneficiaries that were excluded by NADRA during profiling checks but got away with Rs6.84 billion. The Rs1.8 billion irregular payment was made to beneficiaries having poverty scores higher than the approved eligibility thresholds by the cabinet.

The auditors unearthed a major discrepancy and found unauthentic withdrawals of Covid-19 cash transfers out of districts/provinces to the tune of Rs12.8 billion.

The auditors observed that in categories I to IV, withdrawals of emergency cash transfers were shown from out of province/districts by 2,048 agents who operated in Quetta, Lasbela, Thatta, Jamshoro, Hyderabad and Khanewal. “This needs proper investigation,” the AGP recommended.

Through the fake biometrics, Rs1.7 million were withdrawn.

Other departments

The audit observed that the procurements of nine items had been made at higher rates causing a loss of Rs7 million. There were also cases of non-delivery of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) by UNICEF having the value of Rs1.3 billion. The Rs10 million discrepancy was found in cases of transportation and food items for passengers returning from abroad, handled by deputy commissioner Islamabad.

There was also the irregular operation of bank account by a single signatory. The case of non-reconciliation of bank account and irregular payments of cash money instead of crossed cheques to the firms were also unearthed.

USC

The AGP pointed out Rs1.4 billion loss due to irregular and ill-planned procurement of sugar. Another loss of Rs1.6 billion was caused due to irregular procurement of ghee/cooking oil and non-availability of fitness certificates of ghee/oils worth over Rs1.4 billion.

The USC caused a loss of Rs100 million due to the purchase of sugar at higher rates than the prevailing market wholesale rates. There was a case of irregular procurement of atta from flour mills worth Rs95.3 million.

Read more SC orders FIA action over irregularities in ETPB properties

The Rs323 million loss was caused due to non-observance of prescribed flour specifications and another expense of Rs1.7 billion incurred without laboratory test reports. The USC also made excess claim subsidies by increasing the profit ratio on account of the purchase of sugar.

Defence

The auditors pointed out Rs1.9 billion worth of non-reconciliation of allocation and expenditure relating to Covid-19 in two different cases.

The Rs200 million Covid-19 funds were diverted towards the clearance of liabilities and procurement of normal cardiac medicines. During an audit of Combined Military Hospital Rawalpindi, it was observed from the record that PPE items of the same specifications were purchased at higher rates by ignoring the lowest rates available in the comparative statement of tenders.

The Rs235 million irregular payment was made to Pakistan International Airlines without fulfilling the required formalities against shipment of exactly the same commodity required to be transported through the armed forces’ service aircraft.

P.M I.K declared sadiq aur ameen by court so it can't be true. :enjoy:

Pakistan: Where did billions of rupees in COVID aid go?
Missing PPE and hospital staff going unpaid. The government has rejected corruption allegations but opposition lawmakers and hospital staff remain unconvinced.

A Karachi resident receives a commercial dose of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine
Opposition parties say the lack of motivation from the government to probe the missing funds point to corruption
The ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party has recently hit back at claims that corruption is behind the billions of rupees in financial irregularities, following an audit of cash intended for Pakistan's coronavirus response.
The report released last month by the Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) claimed that irregularities amounted to 40 billion Pakistani rupees ($226 million, €200 million).
The report, delayed by almost six months, showed irregularities in procurement, payments to ineligible beneficiaries, cash withdrawal through fake biometrics and the procurement of substandard goods by the state-owned Utility Stores Corporation of Pakistan (USC).
The auditors attempted to scrutinize the whereabouts of 354.3 billion Pakistan rupees in cash but did not receive all the records, the report showed.
The release of the audit by the Ministry of Finance was one of five criteria to be fulfilled in order to receive a $1 billion International Monetary Fund loan by January 2022.
The report has sparked outrage among opposition politicians and hospital staff who allege corruption against the government led by PTI.
No account for missing wages and PPE
Senior nurse Juliana William told DW that she has been underpaid for months. She has been working on the coronavirus ward at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, the largest hospital of Pakistan's federal capital Islamabad, since February 2020. But she has only received payment for around five-and-a-half months.

She told DW that this experience was not an exception. According to William, more than 300 doctors, nurses and paramedics have been waiting for over a year to receive their wages. This was despite assurances from the government authorities.
Rahim Khan, a doctor at the National Hospital in Quetta in southwestern Balochistan province, told DW that medicines were being purchased at exorbitant rates. He added that at his hospital, doctors had to fight to get personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks and gowns, as well as other essentials. Additionally, Khan claimed that food provided to patients was overbilled.
Khan told DW that he suspects that corruption lies behind the missing resources because the grants provided to the government by international organizations failed to materialize.
Dr Muhammad Imran from Lahore, who belongs to Young Doctors Association, concurs. "Throughout the crisis we kept on demanding for PPEs and other essential equipment," he told DW, adding that nothing was provided on time despite the massive aid that the country received.

Uzma Bukhari, a leader from the opposition Pakistan Muslim League Party told DW that the people were affected by large-scale corruption. "The government made bogus claims of helping poor people during the contagion but in reality such help was never extended," she told DW.
"This is a case of massive corruption where cronies were rewarded, contracts were doled out without tenders and prices of medicines and other items were exaggerated," she told DW.
Former deputy chairman of the Senate Saleem Mandviwala and Pakistan People's Party politician alleged that irregularities amounting to around 25 billion Pakistani rupees may have been funneled away through the Benazir Income Support program that faked biometric identities.
For him, the lack of motivation from the government to probe the missing funds pointed to corruption.
PTI rejects claims
PTI lawmaker Musarrat Jamshed Cheema has rejected the allegations. "Our program has been appreciated by several international bodies, so there cannot be any fake identities [such as those alleged by Mandviwala]," she said. Irregularities could mean that set procedure was not followed, she suggested, but this did not mean there was corruption.
During the height of pandemic, if the rules had not been followed then the government could not have arranged PPEs, medicines, ventilators and other essential items that were eventually delivered, she asserted.
Edited by: Kate Martyr

Back
Top Bottom