What's new

Rs40b irregularities detected in PM’s Covid package

PICHLI GOVERNMENT NAI BHI TU AISA KIYA THA is the only logic i hear when some wrong doing is caught with this goverment.

bhai pichlay walay tu thay hi kuttay kai bachay jabhi tum logon ku laye thay kion kai tum logo ka claim tha Insaaf, Tabdeeli, Naya Pakistan.

Bro your entire post is just rhetoric with no substance.

Just to give an example since you asked, from the topic of thread.

In just 2017 irregularities in AGP report of NHA ( one of the smallest component of federal expenditure) alone was Rs470b.

The scale is for all to see. That does negate your entire post.

The path we were put on 2013 especially from 2015- 2018 we will have to suffer for decades.

I know the flaws of pti governemnt but they are no where near what happened in the past 5 years.

As far as I am concerned I understand what needs to be done to get from the start, yours is just ignorance.

The focus of this thread is irregularity (corruption/nepotism/favoritism/abuse of power/misuse of power etc.) under the PM's leadership. Why is every irregularity by PTI justified with irregularities under previous regimes? Why is the argument always to bring up irregularities of the previous regimes instead of introspect and accountability?

I also wonder if I, ever in the slightest, suggested that the previous regimes weren't corrupt? Despite the fact that I do not have any factual evidence, it is my opinion that PPP, PML (all factions), MQM (all factions) etc., are all extremely corrupt. But just consider for a second that despite all the massive, massive corruption (allegedly), the previous regimes were all still able to provide subsidies in Billions of USD to Pakistanis, were servicing previous foreign debt, were able to limit and manage circular debt and all this while:

PPP depreciated PKR 65-100 (54%)
PPP added USD 19 Billion to foreign debt (USD 42 Billion to USD 61 Billion -> 45%)
PPP import export parity was still low
GDP Growth at 3.5% (average of 5 years)

VS

PML depreciated PKR 100-110 (10%)
PML added 31 Billion to foreign debt (USD 61 Billion to USD 92 Billion -> 51%).
PML import export parity was poor
GDP growth at 4.5% (average of 5 years)

All the above while investing heavily in mega projects (especially PML) which contributed significantly to Power Projects, Road Networks and CPEC and evidently Billions of USD in corruption...........

In sharp contrast, the incumbent has, in just 3.5 years:

depreciated PKR 110-175 (59% so far and may drop down to 200, as per market sentiment & speculation)
acquired a debt of USD 35 Billion (USD 92 Billion to USD 127 Billion -> 38%)
circular debt increased to PKR 2.3 Trillion (January 2021), it would be over PKR 2.5 Trillion by now!!!!
import parity has been portrayed as a success story (another lie ofcourse)
GDP growth probably around 1-2% (average of 3.5 years)

Now, none of the figures above are accurate to the core, they are closest values that I could find honestly. Can you not see the pattern? Can you not see that PTI started causing problems for the Government ever since 2013 elections starting with dharna and all which caused damage to finance and integrity of the state whereby the Chinese, Russian and Turkish premiers could not visit Pakistan and leading to a pattern of blackmail and choking by NAB, Courts (Suo Moto) etc., none of which has achieved or rendered anything for Pakistan.

On the other hand, the PTI has not only been given a free hand and free field of play, which is unprecedented in our history, but also been extended absolute support by the powers that be (Military, Judiciary & Establishment) etc. and yet PTI has dug us into the ground!!!

Shame that people are so blind.

Shame that people are so blind
they are not blind. they are afraid when PM comes and say I am the last option and army backs me. they are afraid of state machinery being used for political supremacy

The focus of this thread is irregularity (corruption/nepotism/favoritism/abuse of power/misuse of power etc.) under the PM's leadership. Why is every irregularity by PTI justified with irregularities under previous regimes? Why is the argument always to bring up irregularities of the previous regimes instead of introspect and accountability?

I also wonder if I, ever in the slightest, suggested that the previous regimes weren't corrupt? Despite the fact that I do not have any factual evidence, it is my opinion that PPP, PML (all factions), MQM (all factions) etc., are all extremely corrupt. But just consider for a second that despite all the massive, massive corruption (allegedly), the previous regimes were all still able to provide subsidies in Billions of USD to Pakistanis, were servicing previous foreign debt, were able to limit and manage circular debt and all this while:

PPP depreciated PKR 65-100 (54%)
PPP added USD 19 Billion to foreign debt (USD 42 Billion to USD 61 Billion -> 45%)
PPP import export parity was still low
GDP Growth at 3.5% (average of 5 years)

VS

PML depreciated PKR 100-110 (10%)
PML added 31 Billion to foreign debt (USD 61 Billion to USD 92 Billion -> 51%).
PML import export parity was poor
GDP growth at 4.5% (average of 5 years)

All the above while investing heavily in mega projects (especially PML) which contributed significantly to Power Projects, Road Networks and CPEC and evidently Billions of USD in corruption...........

In sharp contrast, the incumbent has, in just 3.5 years:

depreciated PKR 110-175 (59% so far and may drop down to 200, as per market sentiment & speculation)
acquired a debt of USD 35 Billion (USD 92 Billion to USD 127 Billion -> 38%)
circular debt increased to PKR 2.3 Trillion (January 2021), it would be over PKR 2.5 Trillion by now!!!!
import parity has been portrayed as a success story (another lie ofcourse)
GDP growth probably around 1-2% (average of 3.5 years)

Now, none of the figures above are accurate to the core, they are closest values that I could find honestly. Can you not see the pattern? Can you not see that PTI started causing problems for the Government ever since 2013 elections starting with dharna and all which caused damage to finance and integrity of the state whereby the Chinese, Russian and Turkish premiers could not visit Pakistan and leading to a pattern of blackmail and choking by NAB, Courts (Suo Moto) etc., none of which has achieved or rendered anything for Pakistan.

On the other hand, the PTI has not only been given a free hand and free field of play, which is unprecedented in our history, but also been extended absolute support by the powers that be (Military, Judiciary & Establishment) etc. and yet PTI has dug us into the ground!!!

Shame that people are so blind.

Bro to be honest I will give you some basics because you got the concept wrong about how economy works.

These arguments might confuse someone with limited knowledge but not to any even basically educated person in finance.

Let me give you an example. Suppose you have a credit card payment due, if you don't make it or take further loans to pay back the original one your next interest payment will be higher than your previous one. This is what we call a classic debt trap. Now apply this to your country.

If you take out the interest payments and SBP Reserve building, pti took the least amount of loans ( both internal and external). I can guarantee you that.
Pakistan is making double the interest payment now than in plmn term because of exactly this debt trap.
Don't believe me do the math yourself. Check the primary deficit numbers on the internals and check on the interest payments made on the external front.
Each boom and bust cycle will be more devastating than the last. This is for your own sake as ultimately you will suffer.

Now you mentioned rupee depreciation, on a basic level every developing currency depreciates against developed countries currency overtime. Our currency by nature will depreciate by 5% minimum ( unless your revenues exceed all off your outflows will slow down the depreciation and bring it at par with India which is currently around 2% annually).
Now what will happen if you artificially do not let your currency follow its natural course? For example you fix your currency for 3 years ( can't do it forever because by nature it is unsustainable) it will depreciate by 15% in one go making way back to its natural value ( to achieve the ideal balance).

For Pakistan we are in a xonatant cycle of boom and bust. Artificially propelling growth on steroids followed by a bust when it becomes unsustainable ( period of low growth and inflation). You fall back to where you started.

Regarding circular debt, blame the IPP's. You need to pay what you signed otherwise it will keep on growing. I think you know the rest.
( BTW circular debt was growing faster in 2018 than in 2021 or in the current ongoing FY). What plmn managed in 2 years it took pti 3 years to accumulate the same amount of circular debt. All hell broke loose after 2015 IPP agreements, now we are just fire fighting and mitigating the damage hounded by IMF. The capacity payments will be around 12-14 Rs per unit next year ( that's almost equal to generation cost + all government taxes) , before the 2015 IPP policy it was around 2 Rs per unit.

Regarding GDP I will just say one line. Had Plmn kept it at 3.5% ( based on the remittances and exports / inflows during their time ) they would have done a huge favour to Pakistan.

The key issues highlighted by the AGP were “instances of mis-procurements, delays in the delivery of procured items, procurement without proper need assessment, instances of weak financial controls, lack of proper record-keeping and non-production of records to audit authorities”.
these issues are anything but key. delays in delivery occurred due to covid shutdowns across the world. procurement was done in an emergency, esp of mask making machines, masks, vents and other items, there was no time to perform "need assessment", same case with weak financial controls, lack of proper record keeping etc. the media, as usual, is making a mount out of a molehill. government procurement procedures are long and tedious, full of red tape. and that red tape was temporarily eliminated due to covid emergency. that is what the report points out.
The auditors found mis-procurement on account of the installation of Resource Management System (RMS) by the NDMA with Rs42.5 million cost. A million-dollar loss was caused to the public exchequer on account of purchase of ventilators at higher rates and China donated $4 million for construction of 250 beds Isolation Hospital and Infections Treatment Center (IHITC), but the money was never used. There were cases of overpayment to Chinese firms on account of the procurement of ventilators.
ihitc is up and running. as for overpayment, everything is expensive now, even chinese stuff. government auditors do not seem to understand the concept of inflation, or delays due to production and supply chain issues. these simple things, that are overlooked (or at least understood) in private setups, are enough for AGP to issue explanation notices and raise audit objections. "irregularities" do not mean corruption, incompetence may be, but not corruption.

Last edited:
Bro to be honest I will give you some basics because you got the concept wrong about how economy works.

These arguments might confuse someone with limited knowledge but not to any even basically educated person in finance.

By the way, see how far we have deviated from the issue of irregularity under PTI??

Anyway........Let me respond to your post but please let me put this across that although I am not a student of Finance or Economy; I am, however, well informed and in the circle which implements decisions of the Government and hence I know what I also speak of.

Let me give you an example. Suppose you have a credit card payment due, if you don't make it or take further loans to pay back the original one your next interest payment will be higher than your previous one. This is what we call a classic debt trap. Now apply this to your country.

You have given me an example of a Credit Card, an extension of credit on demand by an institution which works on interest and hence can be used here to explain things. Let me work on your own example, you have a credit card payment due because:

a) you used the funds to get yourself an asset; eg., a car to drive for Careem, your plan is to make minimum Credit Card payments from the income that you generate from your work. After a few months/years the Careem business is doing so well that you decide to add another car for which you take even more loan. This is how middle class personal mega projects such as a car, a house, or a 2nd car/house are generally financed in the west (not on CC's which accumulated high interest rates but through targeted loan), this is also how a middle income country's mega projects such as a DAM or a Nuclear/Thermal Power Plant are generally funded. Most of PML's accumulated debt is for assets such as CPEC power projects/transport networks for which debt is totally justified. More on this later.

Waise, just FYI, if you do have multiple credit card loans, various Banks offer combining multiple loans under a single umbrella with low mark-up rates for transfer to their services, this is more prevailant in countries where Credit Card penetration is high as opposed to Pakistan which has very low penetration of CC services.

My point is, debt is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you are using it to fund mega projects and building assets which pay for themselves over a period of time.

If you take out the interest payments and SBP Reserve building, pti took the least amount of loans ( both internal and external). I can guarantee you that.
Pakistan is making double the interest payment now than in plmn term because of exactly this debt trap.
Don't believe me do the math yourself. Check the primary deficit numbers on the internals and check on the interest payments made on the external front.
Each boom and bust cycle will be more devastating than the last. This is for your own sake as ultimately you will suffer.

When your attempt is to simply make the minimum payment, you will indeed end up paying a lot of interest. However, if you keep making regular payments whereby you also pay off a chunk of the principal amount then you conclude your debt settlement on time and with minimum interest.

Also, very importantly, I can very safely assume that my income will be more next year than it is today and that it will be significantly more in 10 years when compared to my income today. Hence, I can take on debt with plans of retiring/servicing a larger debt when my income has increased in the coming years. It may mean a 2nd loan or mortgage so multiply my assets. Reserves under PML hit a high of 24 Billion USD so no magic there, KSE crossed 50k and so on, rating by IMF, FITCH & Moody's etc., all projected a stable and strong economy with a positive outlook. Please consider their outlook on our economy since PTI assumed power.

Now you mentioned rupee depreciation, on a basic level every developing currency depreciates against developed countries currency overtime. Our currency by nature will depreciate by 5% minimum ( unless your revenues exceed all off your outflows will slow down the depreciation and bring it at par with India which is currently around 2% annually).
Now what will happen if you artificially do not let your currency follow its natural course? For example you fix your currency for 3 years ( can't do it forever because by nature it is unsustainable) it will depreciate by 15% in one go making way back to its natural value ( to achieve the ideal balance).

For Pakistan we are in a xonatant cycle of boom and bust. Artificially propelling growth on steroids followed by a bust when it becomes unsustainable ( period of low growth and inflation). You fall back to where you started.

Currency depreciation is also artificially managed for various reasons, primarily to boost exports as they become more attractive. However, it suits countries such as China, Japan etc., it has never worked for Pakistan where our primary competition is with India (USD @ 75), Bangladesh (USD @ 86) and similar countries which have a stronger currency and hence our exports are already competitively priced. However, when you manipulate the local currency or allow some financially powerful segments to manipulate the currency for various reasons, you are also playing with a lot of critical factors. The most important and the only example I will give you is Oil which gets more expensive whenever you devalue your currency and then it has a compound effect on each and everything (generally).

At the end of the day, can you honestly answer whether the life of an average Pakistani has gotten better or worse in the current Government?

Regarding circular debt, blame the IPP's. You need to pay what you signed otherwise it will keep on growing. I think you know the rest.
( BTW circular debt was growing faster in 2018 than in 2021 or in the current ongoing FY). What plmn managed in 2 years it took pti 3 years to accumulate the same amount of circular debt. All hell broke loose after 2015 IPP agreements, now we are just fire fighting and mitigating the damage hounded by IMF. The capacity payments will be around 12-14 Rs per unit next year ( that's almost equal to generation cost + all government taxes) , before the 2015 IPP policy it was around 2 Rs per unit.

Regarding GDP I will just say one line. Had Plmn kept it at 3.5% ( based on the remittances and exports / inflows during their time ) they would have done a huge favour to Pakistan.

Do you recall what happened to the price of an average face mask when COVID broke out and demand for face masks (surgical ones) shot through the roof? That is a key component of unregulated market dependent on demand and supply. In 2013, Pakistan was facing 8-16 hours of acute electricity shortage across the country. The situation was very very bad, we needed a solution to provide power to our industry, a lot of which gave up and moved to Bangladesh and elsewhere. The Government was desperate for quick solutions and this is what the IPPs took advantage of. Now that we have surplus power, thanks to the investment in power by the previous regime, our exports are growing again and we are able to establish additional industry; all this while cursing the previous Government for expensive IPP contracts even though the same contracts are easily manageable at even 125 PKR|USD but become extremely incompetent with depreciation.......especially at 175 today!!

Think.......logically and with neutrality.

What do PM do in the post apocalyptic (PMLN rule) Pakistan where everyone is haram khor or want to do haram khori with the first chance they get.

When choice is amongst the evils, choose the least evil, ofcourse.

And what difference will take make? Evil is still evil, in a country of 220mil people isn't there one person thats not evil?

Matlab dono chor?

Corruption hasn't ended and won't end in future either. But it is not coming from the top at the very least and not in such large numbers as in the past. Look at stats.

Auditors attempted to scrutinise Rs354.3 billion expenses but did not get all records
View attachment 797021

After holding on to it for nearly six months, Pakistan on Friday gave in to the International Monetary Fund’s pressure by releasing the audit report of expenditures incurred on Covid-19, disclosing over Rs40 billion irregularities in operations.

The findings of the Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) –the constitutional body – showed misprocurement, payments to ineligible beneficiaries, cash withdrawal through fake biometrics and procurements of substandard goods by Utility Stores Corporation (USC) for consumption.

The release of the report by the Ministry of Finance is one of the five prior actions that the IMF has asked Pakistan to implement if it wants to get the $1 billion loan tranche by January next year.

The auditors attempted to scrutinise Rs354.3 billion expenses but did not get all the records, the report showed. From the record of expenses and procurements available, the auditors have unearthed Rs40 billion irregularities.

The maximum irregularities of over Rs25 billion were found against Rs133 billion spent under the banner of the Benazir Income Support Programme, which was equal to 19% of its spending. The USC spent Rs10 billion but the auditors raised questions on Rs5.2 billion or 52% of its spending.

The National Disaster Management Authority’s spending was Rs22.8 billion and the auditors raised a red flag on Rs4.8 billion or around 21% of the spending.

The defence ministry also had doubtful and irregular spending to the tune of Rs3.2 billion while other government departments had dubious expenses to the tune of Rs1.5 billion, showed the report.

This report is based on the audit of the accounts of government agencies and departments involved in relief activities at the federal level for the year ending June 30, 2020, to the extent of expenditure related to Covid-19.

This includes all government allocations, loans and grants received or repurposed from the foreign donor partners for dealing with Covid-19. The IMF had also given a $1.4 billion loan under the Covid relief package.

The key issues highlighted by the AGP were “instances of mis-procurements, delays in the delivery of procured items, procurement without proper need assessment, instances of weak financial controls, lack of proper record-keeping and non-production of records to audit authorities”.

Also, there were issues about lack of warehouse management, issues in the distribution of equipment, advance payments to supplier firms without properly securing guarantees, data problems resulting in the release of cash grants to both spouses in the same family and beneficiaries excluded by NADRA during profiling checks, the release of cash grants to the insured persons and pensioners of EOBI and beneficiaries from both BISP and Zakat.

The auditors also caught serious issues like payment to ineligible beneficiaries like government servants, pensioners and their spouses, taxpayers and to those having poverty scores above the cut off scores approved by the federal cabinet and the BISP board.

“Weak monitoring and implementation resulting in withdrawals through fake biometric and withdrawals out of the district of registration, irregular and unjustified prequalification of flour mills by the USC” were among the other issues.

There were also issues of service delivery under the Ehsaas Emergency Cash Programme that resulted in non-disbursement of cash transfers to 1.32 million enrolled beneficiaries.

In order to combat the pandemic, the prime minister approved Rs1.24 trillion Economic Stimulus Package on March 24, 2020. The key objectives of the relief package were to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, provision of medical and subsistence relief to citizens and support to business and economy.

The amount released out of the announced package was Rs354.2 billion till June 30, 2020.

Rs314b promised but not given

“The finance ministry issued Rs314 billion less supplementary grants from the PM’s stimulus package due to which citizens of Pakistan could not avail the complete benefit of the announced package resulting in suffering, economic hardship and many private factories laying off their workers during Covid-19 process,” revealed the report.

Read more Islamabad swallows bitter IMF pills

Against Rs200 billion promised to daily wagers, only Rs16 billion were distributed among them. The vulnerable families were promised Rs150 billion but given Rs145 billion. The Utility Stores package was Rs50 billion but was given Rs10 billion. There was a promise to pay Rs100 billion electricity and gas bills but the actual payments were Rs15 billion.

Key irregularities

The NDMA was the main coordinating agency for relief activities in the country. Against Rs33.3 billion funds that the NDMA received, it spent Rs22.8 billion. But the auditors found glaring irregularities.

“During the course of the audit, a number of instances of mis-procurements, weak contract management, delays in delivery of procured items, improper storage management etc were observed.”

The auditors found mis-procurement on account of the installation of Resource Management System (RMS) by the NDMA with Rs42.5 million cost. A million-dollar loss was caused to the public exchequer on account of purchase of ventilators at higher rates and China donated $4 million for construction of 250 beds Isolation Hospital and Infections Treatment Center (IHITC), but the money was never used. There were cases of overpayment to Chinese firms on account of the procurement of ventilators.

The NDMA did not adjust advances of Rs690 million against payments made to the Frontier Works Organisation for the renovation of Haji Complex, Rawalpindi, provisions of quarantine facilities in Karachi and establishment of the National Control Room during the financial year.

During the course of the audit of NDMA, a considerable number of record and allied documents were not produced for audit scrutiny despite repeated written and verbal requests.

The NDMA did not impose liquidated damages on supplier firms causing a loss of Rs2.7 billion and $8.3 million.

BISP

The BISP utilised Rs133.3 billion during the fiscal year 2019-20 and 13.1 million beneficiaries were paid.

The audit observed Rs6.6 billion payments to relatively better-off 484,402 beneficiaries due to the absence of any clear policy which needs to be addressed before making any related future payments.

There were irregular payments of cash transfers to government servants including pensioners and their spouses to the tune of Rs1.84 billion. Wrong profiling of beneficiaries resulted in the release of cash transfers to both spouses worth Rs1.6 billion.

Over Rs16 million payments of Covid-19 cash transfers were made to those beneficiaries who had filers’ status and were well-off. There was also a case of withdrawal of Covid-19 cash grants from both BISP and Zakat by the same beneficiaries worth Rs318.7 million.

Also read Public confidence in economy wanes

The auditors pointed out irregular payment of cash transfers to beneficiaries that were excluded by NADRA during profiling checks but got away with Rs6.84 billion. The Rs1.8 billion irregular payment was made to beneficiaries having poverty scores higher than the approved eligibility thresholds by the cabinet.

The auditors unearthed a major discrepancy and found unauthentic withdrawals of Covid-19 cash transfers out of districts/provinces to the tune of Rs12.8 billion.

The auditors observed that in categories I to IV, withdrawals of emergency cash transfers were shown from out of province/districts by 2,048 agents who operated in Quetta, Lasbela, Thatta, Jamshoro, Hyderabad and Khanewal. “This needs proper investigation,” the AGP recommended.

Through the fake biometrics, Rs1.7 million were withdrawn.

Other departments

The audit observed that the procurements of nine items had been made at higher rates causing a loss of Rs7 million. There were also cases of non-delivery of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) by UNICEF having the value of Rs1.3 billion. The Rs10 million discrepancy was found in cases of transportation and food items for passengers returning from abroad, handled by deputy commissioner Islamabad.

There was also the irregular operation of bank account by a single signatory. The case of non-reconciliation of bank account and irregular payments of cash money instead of crossed cheques to the firms were also unearthed.

USC

The AGP pointed out Rs1.4 billion loss due to irregular and ill-planned procurement of sugar. Another loss of Rs1.6 billion was caused due to irregular procurement of ghee/cooking oil and non-availability of fitness certificates of ghee/oils worth over Rs1.4 billion.

The USC caused a loss of Rs100 million due to the purchase of sugar at higher rates than the prevailing market wholesale rates. There was a case of irregular procurement of atta from flour mills worth Rs95.3 million.

Read more SC orders FIA action over irregularities in ETPB properties

The Rs323 million loss was caused due to non-observance of prescribed flour specifications and another expense of Rs1.7 billion incurred without laboratory test reports. The USC also made excess claim subsidies by increasing the profit ratio on account of the purchase of sugar.

Defence

The auditors pointed out Rs1.9 billion worth of non-reconciliation of allocation and expenditure relating to Covid-19 in two different cases.

The Rs200 million Covid-19 funds were diverted towards the clearance of liabilities and procurement of normal cardiac medicines. During an audit of Combined Military Hospital Rawalpindi, it was observed from the record that PPE items of the same specifications were purchased at higher rates by ignoring the lowest rates available in the comparative statement of tenders.

The Rs235 million irregular payment was made to Pakistan International Airlines without fulfilling the required formalities against shipment of exactly the same commodity required to be transported through the armed forces’ service aircraft.

He is an epic failure. This man has done absolutely nothing. He will leave the office as an absolute disgraced fool. This is the same man that used to curse the IMF. Today he is on his knees for IMF installments. One IMF installment after another.

against the PTI Govt? Impossible

either the AGP is a PML-N goon, or he is lying

The Audit Report show level of Corruption

As one user stated @Verve

In 2017-2018 , the Corruption in similar program under PMLN was 8
8 Trillion Rupee = 8 Billion Dollar ( 8,000,000,000 USD) Figure has 9 Zeros

2021 , the Level of Corruption has gone down to mere 8 Billion Rupee
8 Billion Rupee = 45 Million (45,000,000 USD) Figure has 6 zeros

Corruption was (177x) More in PMLN Era
Or you can assume PTI under Imran Khan has reduced corruption by (177x)

While it is not zero level , but inshallah Honorable Imran Khan's government can bring down corruption index further

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom