What's new

Rs 5,000-crore fund approved for supercomputers

@C130 @Capt.Popeye @Skull and Bones @rohitshubham @mike2000 @Mr.UTurn
India has it's own homegrown series of microprocessors developed by DRDO that finds its application in our Defence Systems including Missiles, Torpedos and Electronic Warfare Suits etc. - Ever since DRDO was denied microprocessors from Intel on the pretext of the Missile Technology Control Regime it decided to embark on an indigenous microprocessor project - DRDO ANURAG's ANUPAMA and ABACUS series of microprocessors have already been developed and deployed successfully way back in 2002 -

General purpose microprocessors -
ANURAG has designed and developed general-purpose microprocessors- ANUPAMA and ABACUS. ANUPAMA is a 32-bit RISC processor, and works at 33 MHz clock speed. The complete software development tool kit is available for application development. A single-board computer based on ANUPAMA is available for evaluation and software development. ANUPAMA is also available as an IP core.

ABACUS is a 32-bit processor for multi-tasking applications with virtual memory support. It is designed around ANUPAMA core with additions like MMU, two levels of cache, double precision FPU, SDRAM controller. The IP core of ABACUS is available in Verilog RTL code. This processor is suited for desktop applications. Complete software platform is available for ABACUS processor and a single board computer with ABACUS is implemented. Linux Kernel is ported.

Source:- DRDO
Advanced Numerical Research and Analysis Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India has the required talent pool to develop such microprocessors - quite evident from the fact that both - NVIDIA's Logan was a designed in Bangalore and world's first six-core Intel's Xeon series microprocessor which is often hailed as the first made-in-India microprocessor, had also been developed by Intel's design team at Bangalore only - Apart from it - "Father of Pentium" - the designer of Intel's very popular Pentium series microprocessors on which a majority of the world's computers run on - is Vinod Dham who is an Indian himself!

Source:- Nvidia’s India unit to spearhead Logan superchip development - Livemint
rediff.com: India's pride: The world's first six-core microchip!
Vinod Dham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India has successfully developed general purpose microprocessors but developing microprocessors for High Performance Computing (HPC) would take up billions of $$ in R&D which India cannot really afford as of now - Over 90% of the World's supercomputers listd in Top500 Supercomputers list run on Intel microprocessors - Even the Chinese Milky Way Supercomputer which occupies the #1 slot currently runs on Intel microprocessors only despite them having their own homegrown series of microprocessors - I don't see any other firm competing with Intel in this concern in the foreseeable future...

Ahh forgot one thing - don't ever feed that false flag troll @jamahir .... He is the first of his own kind....

Attachments

• torpedoes.jpg
    torpedoes.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 174
CDAC is doing great job in the field of computing, even with their somewhat limited resources. Best of luck.
yes, the resources are impoverished, i was in Germany last year for internship and the facilities just don't compare.
My cluster's gonna be on a f*king P4 with 512Mb of ram.

Cadence is standard in industry and western universities.
Well... actually i am not an Electronics major... mostly i worked on breadboards and never did anything more complex than designing amplifiers and finding tilt/sag. :P
BTW i was thinking of pursuing masters in US . how much do you think should be the gre score to get a decent college(not the IVY league)... My SAT-1 score was around 2050 and SAT-2 was 2400.

That is simply force of habit for @Donatello. After all he is a pdf analist....also seems to be afflicted by coprolagnia, going by his tendency to bring up toilets so easily. :D

Last time I curiously googled what that is all about and didnt have a pleasant evening.. Somebody should give you a negative point for bringing that again and again :pissed: I think @janon will agree with me!! :sarcastic:

Well... actually i am not an Electronics major... mostly i worked on breadboards and never did anything more complex than designing amplifiers and finding tilt/sag. :P
BTW i was thinking of pursuing masters in US . how much do you think should be the gre score to get a decent college(not the IVY league)... My SAT-1 score was around 2050 and SAT-2 was 2400.

I'm doing MS in Electrical Engineering from the University at Buffalo, my GRE was 310, pretty average. Wo 'Verbal'wa humse nahi howat hai. :D

If you want to know anything about MS/PhD, give me a heads up. :tup:

I'm doing MS in Electrical Engineering from the University at Buffalo, my GRE was 310, pretty average. Wo 'Verbal'wa humse nahi howat hai. :D

Sure buddy i will PM you...

Err... how to send a Private Message in this forum?

@C130 @Capt.Popeye @Skull and Bones @rohitshubham @mike2000 @Mr.UTurn
India has it's own homegrown series of microprocessors developed by DRDO that finds its application in our Defence Systems including Missiles, Torpedos and Electronic Warfare Suits etc. - Ever since DRDO was denied microprocessors from Intel on the pretext of the Missile Technology Control Regime it decided to embark on an indigenous microprocessor project - DRDO ANURAG's ANUPAMA and ABACUS series of microprocessors have already been developed and deployed successfully way back in 2002 -

Source:- DRDO
Advanced Numerical Research and Analysis Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India has the required talent pool to develop such microprocessors - quite evident from the fact that both - NVIDIA's Logan was a designed in Bangalore and world's first six-core Intel's Xeon series microprocessor which is often hailed as the first made-in-India microprocessor, had also been developed by Intel's design team at Bangalore only - Apart from it - "Father of Pentium" - the designer of Intel's very popular Pentium series microprocessors on which a majority of the world's computers run on - is Vinod Dham who is an Indian himself!

Source:- Nvidia’s India unit to spearhead Logan superchip development - Livemint
rediff.com: India's pride: The world's first six-core microchip!
Vinod Dham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India has successfully developed general purpose microprocessors but developing microprocessors for High Performance Computing (HPC) would take up billions of $$ in R&D which India cannot really afford as of now - Over 90% of the World's supercomputers listd in Top500 Supercomputers list run on Intel microprocessors - Even the Chinese Milky Way Supercomputer which occupies the #1 slot currently runs on Intel microprocessors only despite them having their own homegrown series of microprocessors - I don't see any other firm competing with Intel in this concern in the foreseeable future...

Ahh forgot one thing - don't ever feed that false flag troll @jamahir .... He is the first of his own kind....

you write a bunch of patriotic nonsense which will not help indians to progress...

1. the nvidia "logan" processor/whatever uses "arm" instruction set architecture... no real innovation there... but innovation is not something india has done since 1947... bangalore is called "coolie valley" for a reason.

from ( Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )...
"Nvidia’s Tegra K1 (code-named Logan) features an ARM Cortex general-purpose or Nvidia's 64-bit Project Denver processing unit"

2. that intel-bangalore team that "designed" the six-core xeon processor... didn't design anything great... the instruction set ( isa etc ) was the same... the usage of the processor was the same... what was already available in four-core was "progressed" by this bangalore team to six-core... nothing grand... everything a failure... and the leader of this bunch of fools was even given an indian national prize... for what??

3. the anupama processor is nothing special... the isa is probably american ( probably "mips" isa )... and if you go through the technical specification, it is quite ordinary... fpu, serial port, parallel port etc

4. vinod dham is a fool... the ex-soviet, vladimir pentkowski has more to do with pentium's success than some indian "scientist".... ( Intel uses Russia military technologies • The Register )...

you can go ask all these sooper dooper genius techies from bangalore to give indian government a microprocessor... a real indian-designed microprocessor... indian minstry of info. tech. has been waiting since 2008.

i never said "no person from india can contribute to design of a radically new microprocessor"... i am only saying all the over-hyped and now failure "indian info. tech. industry" cannot ever design a microprocessor or operating system... quite the difference in those in those two statements... there is talent in india as in any other society... just that the promoted ones ( iit, infosys, cdac, tcs etc ) are a bunch of fools.

Last edited:
any recent news on this "India Microprocessor" it would be tough competition against Intel.
This is not for competition to intel.Indian devloped microprocessors are not used or civilian purposes but for special purposes like missiles,fighter planes e.t.c. but we still are very behind.

Back
Top Bottom