What's new

Royal Navy Officially Inducts Third Astute Class Nuclear Powered Submarine HMS Artful.

Wow congratz :-)
Looks like one deadly submarine :tup:

It is for sure. It's maintains Britain's nuclear deterrence globally, deterring any nation from threatening the U.K. Since it assures we maintain our Mutually assured destruction(MAD) capability like we have for the past 4 decades.

@FrenchPilot ,@Taygibay check this out.....France blaming Britain for sub collision......:rofl: When our 2 subs collided.

Royal navy nuclear sub Vanguard an French navy nuclear sub Triomphant collide

article-2631814-1DF69D7500000578-463_964x570.jpg
Astuteclass.jpg

bae_1895564b.jpg

View attachment 279889
astute12_1983813i.jpg
bae-astute-class-submarine-barrow-in-furness_640_361_95.jpg
s120.jpg

SoccerEnglandFlagSmiley.gif~c200

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

lol Maybe India can buy them then. Its still more advanced than any submarine India has at present and has unlimited range,with proven records/war experience/patrols across the four corners of the globe.
We will be better off selling them anyway, instead of destroying them(like we unfortunately did with our Nimrods)/letting them rot/stay idle. :partay:

I don't think you will agree to such a deal :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

@FrenchPilot check this out.......:rofl: When our 2 subs collided.

Royal navy nuclear sub Vanguard an French navy nuclear sub Triomphant collide

Sometimes we have to ask ourselves what the two submarines were doing at the same exact location,at the same moment.
Thank God,there wasn't a serious incident...

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

I don't think you will agree to such a deal :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Why not bro? We don't have any conflict of interests with India(well not yet).:enjoy:.

Sometimes we have to ask ourselves what the two submarines were doing at the same exact location,at the same moment.

Shit happens bro. This was a one in a million occurrence event, Giving the vast expanse of the Oceans and the low number of submarines carrying ballistic missiles on patrol at any time, since only the P5 powers have such capabilities. Plus they collided in the vast Atlantic Ocean of all places, how likely is that? :cheesy:

HMS Vanguard
16submarine-600.jpg

Triomphant

This incident also expose one main problem between even close NATO allies like FRANCE AND BRITAIN. Since French(and British) officials didn't even know their sub had hit another British sub, they just said it had collided with an immense object, and they only knew when they sent inquiry to other navies about the deep sea impact. So it underlines the extreme secrecy even Close NATO allies still imposed on the whereabouts of their missile carrying submarines:ph34r: So i think we need to be more forthcoming/cooperate/open/communicate more with each other in this field.:cheers:

Awesome submarine! I felt like the Brits should already have 5 of the submarines by now. Its just me.

True, we should have, but then again such complex projects takes time you know. The 4th and 5th will be launched in 2017 and 2019 respectively, the 6th in 2021. The 7th will take more time(probably 2023 launched) since long-lead items have already been ordered and steel cutting already took place as well. So way to go.:)

I'm a big fan of the DDS:

HMS-Astute.jpg

068ced33b1cd25a45099a8922a0b2195.jpg

Interestingly these features are most commonly found on Western designs. The Russian's "bottomed-out" their subs and exfiled through the torpedo tubes:

spetsnaz_tubes.jpg

Or opted for Man-torpedo insertions using the Sirena-UM:

Sirena_UM.jpg

Or mini subs like this Project 865 Piranha:

losos.jpg

While the US and UK are the main users, France pioneered the DDS technology, as seen with this 1970s example, the Vostock-NG:

SWUV_suitcase.jpg

SWUV_Vostock-NG.jpg

France does not have a modern example though.

Last edited:
Why not increase their number to 14 and cancel the SSBN project which will cost 100 Billion GBP
I am sure having 2 astute on deference patrol armed with 4 ICBM with mirv could have same effect
And will be cost effective

I am sure having 2 astute on deference patrol armed with 4 ICBM with mirv could have same effect
And will be cost effective

That would require a VPM type of augment though:

Screen-Shot-2013-11-04-at-4.24.29-PM.png

The US has been exploring using the future Virginia Block V as a "mini boomer", but at present the plan is to have it function as a less capable replacement for the Ohio Class SSGN, as the Ohio's are getting old:

SSGN 727
US_Navy_120103-N-CO162-169_The_Ohio-class_guided-missile_submarine_USS_Michigan_%28SSGN_727%29_pulls_alongside_of_the_submarine_tender_USS_Frank_Cable.jpg

This option my not be any cheaper for the RN though.

The UK's current fleet ballistic missile:

Trident-11.jpg

*I started writing about DDS and swimmer insertion systems, here's picking up on that

The JDF SubSEAL is the UK's version of the US SDV:

SubSEAL3.jpg

SubSEALCockpit.jpg

SubSEALCockpit1.jpg

SubSEALAftCockpit.jpg

@FrenchPilot @mike2000 is back did either of you know France and the UK once collaborated on an SDV? Think it could happen again, especially as France doesn't currently have a submarine launched version?

MAREX Type-A2
Marex designed a fully enclosed two-man SDV with the pilot and passenger sitting side-by-side with an unobstructed forward view due to a single-piece unframed canopy. This was a very streamlined configuration and allowed an impressive top speed which was faster than military SDVs then in service. The need for forward hydroplanes was eliminated due to a bow thruster mounted literally in the nose.

This design was very modern at the time and intended for both the military and civilian markets. It did not fit the strict requirements of the British SBS or Navy Divers and was not built although.

Marex_A2_model.jpg

MAREX Type-A5
The A2 was complemented by he much larger A5 which, as the name implies, could carry five men. Three sat across the front and two in the rear. In the military sense this mean a driver and two swim-pairs. The design was slower but longer ranged than the A2

Marex_A5-photo.jpg

Comex Total-Sub-01
Just as MAREX gave up on the military SDV market they started working with a French firm who wanted to market their SDVs in the offshore oil industry. At the time many companies were considering this market for wet submersibles to improve the independence and efficiency of technical divers. As it turned out wet submersibles were not well suited to the role and only one A5 derivative was built, named after it's customer 'Total-sub-01'.

Marex_totalsub.jpg

*I've been off topic enough, sorry:partay:

@FrenchPilot @mike2000 is back did either of you know France and the UK once collaborated on an SDV? Think it could happen again, especially as France doesn't currently have a submarine launched version?

MAREX Type-A2
Marex designed a fully enclosed two-man SDV with the pilot and passenger sitting side-by-side with an unobstructed forward view due to a single-piece unframed canopy. This was a very streamlined configuration and allowed an impressive top speed which was faster than military SDVs then in service. The need for forward hydroplanes was eliminated due to a bow thruster mounted literally in the nose.

This design was very modern at the time and intended for both the military and civilian markets. It did not fit the strict requirements of the British SBS or Navy Divers and was not built although.

Marex_A2_model.jpg

MAREX Type-A5
The A2 was complemented by he much larger A5 which, as the name implies, could carry five men. Three sat across the front and two in the rear. In the military sense this mean a driver and two swim-pairs. The design was slower but longer ranged than the A2

Marex_A5-photo.jpg

Comex Total-Sub-01
Just as MAREX gave up on the military SDV market they started working with a French firm who wanted to market their SDVs in the offshore oil industry. At the time many companies were considering this market for wet submersibles to improve the independence and efficiency of technical divers. As it turned out wet submersibles were not well suited to the role and only one A5 derivative was built, named after it's customer 'Total-sub-01'.

Marex_totalsub.jpg

*I've been off topic enough, sorry:partay:

I never knew this. Seems we did cooperate with our French allies on many strategic projects. Just like we are currently cooperating on a future helicopter-launched, anti-surface guided weapon for our navies, the Anglo-French Combined Joint Expeditionary Force, cooperation in the development of underwater vehicles capable of finding and neutralizing seabed mines, investment in Atomic Weapons Establishment in Berkshire that will allow collaboration/safe testing of UK and French stockpiles and greater sharing of technical and scientific data to further joint research, plus of course the joint Stealth bomber UCAV we are currently working on after our Taranis and Neuron tech demonstrator was unveiled.etc etc. France and Britain do have a long history of cooperation in defence and it will only get better with time.:)
300px-MBDA_FASGW-ANL.JPG

Sea Venom an Anglo-French lightweight anti ship missile developed by MBDA to equip the Royal Navy and the French Navy.The contract launched in 2014 is worth approximately €600 million (£ 500 million).

Britain and France agreed to develop Autonomous underwater mine hunting robot this April

British Taranis

France's Neuron.
Britain and France are jointly developing a stealth bomber UCAV,

Tag: Anglo-French Combined Joint Expeditionary Force — MercoPress

Vive l'entente Cordiale

Back
Top Bottom