What's new

ROPE- a must read account of the dangers of operating in the Siachin Glacier

Afaik now the soldiers get multilayered uniforms which have tiny airspaces that traps the air- pretty much works on the same principle as a traditional quilt.
No doubt the passing of time has seen many advancements in the standard issue kit issued to such soldiers and casualty rates have plummeted in the past decade, that said this is a job I cannot see any incentive being tempting enough for me to consider accepting it.

As @Nilgiri pointed out, these professionals are a different breed.

His lower half of the body was fixed in ice. He could not be moved.
Why not use a chainsaw or some special tool to free him,the rescue teams had to be prepared?
Its not like they havent invented something to rescue people in such situations,or am i wrong?
To give up on a living person is just not right.
And whats with the stupid timelimit for the helicopter,they should have been prepared,it wasnt the first time this happened?
I just think that they gave up on him.

Why not use a chainsaw or some special tool to free him,the rescue teams had to be prepared?
Its not like they havent invented something to rescue people in such situations,or am i wrong?
To give up on a living person is just not right.
And whats with the stupid timelimit for the helicopter,they should have been prepared,it wasnt the first time this happened?
I just think that they gave up on him.
they killed him... did you not read.
it was a narrow hole, you cant go in and dig inside ice, and what if the whole thing collapses because it went further down.
I think you need to read the whole thing and visualize the context.

they killed him... did you not read.
it was a narrow hole, you cant go in and dig inside ice, and what if the whole thing collapses because it went further down.
I think you need to read the whole thing and visualize the context.
I have read it before making a comment.
They killed him the time they came back to rescue him,this kind of thing also happens in Norway,Sweden Finland,Canada,US etc
Didnt they know that the lower part of his body would be frozen and fixed with the ice when they would return?
Why bring a rope then,why even try to rescue him with a rope?
How much time does it take for a body to become fixed frozen or whatever you call it(english not good enough),with the ice?
My point is that the rescue team should have known they needed a special tool to somehow cutt the ice around him to rescue him,they should have known that it was not possible with just a rope.
They should have just killed him the first time instead of making such a useless effort and giving him worthless hope of ever seeing his family again.

Atleast the second pic is of PA troops!

I thought that was CGI.

picture-387-jpg.583469

picture-389-jpg.583471

picture-389-jpg.583471

Where is that verse from?

I have read it before making a comment.
They killed him the time they came back to rescue him,this kind of thing also happens in Norway,Sweden Finland,Canada,US etc
Didnt they know that the lower part of his body would be frozen and fixed with the ice when they would return?
Why bring a rope then,why even try to rescue him with a rope?
How much time does it take for a body to become fixed frozen or whatever you call it(english not good enough),with the ice?
My point is that the rescue team should have known they needed a special tool to somehow cutt the ice around him to rescue him,they should have known that it was not possible with just a rope.
They should have just killed him the first time instead of making such a useless effort and giving him worthless hope of ever seeing his family again.
I dont know how things work there, but probably thats the stanard procedure. Vast majority die in fall. It would have been cruel just to assume the worse especially when he is alive and not even try your best to rescue.
I am also not sure its humanly possible to cut ice around when inside a small hole. Not sure a machine would have helped, what if the whole thing collapses trapping even the rescuer inside. The real depth was much further as article suggests.

If you know about such a tool please inform us. The safety in the glacier has increased over the years and casualty has progressively decreased since 80s but you cant avoid casualty.

We all know about IEDs and RPGs, does it mean all american forces are carried in such vehicles that will avoid casualty? Armies do not operate on zero casualty principle.

They should have just killed him the first time instead of making such a useless effort
They had to give it a try.
When the helicopter reached at the site, they saw he was alive and ergo they tried to rescue him.
But later they realised his lower half was tightly gripped by ice.

The inherent power output and utility of machines/equipment (be they chainsaws, blowtorches) that can potentially help more in situations as these (when we visualise in our own way from the comfort of our homes reading on a computer screen) have real issues in deployment on the ground in this environment. Take the partial pressure of oxygen available at such altitudes....it can be half or less than that at sea level. That severely degrades the performance of all such equipment, especially if they are of the small handheld versions.... and the logistics needed for any larger system with say forced oxygen feeding...or just much larger size to account for meeting performance requirements lead to a whole different world of issues and problems. This is also purely from the operations perspective, there are tons of other problems you need to factor (transport, deployment, maintenance, employability in crisis etc)....and then you got to do a CBA in how many lives you put at increased risk over larger time periods by employing such changes to help mitigate the 1 in a 100 or 1000 (or more) situation.

That said I am sure that this particular incident's lessons (whatever they may be in the logistics perspective) will have served as a sobering reminder and measures will now have been taken on the ground to better prepare for when it happens again (by incorporating changes that maximise readiness/prep while mitigating negative effects or curtailing them completely).

Then we come to why was a rope brought "knowing" it most definitely wont work.

First they were not aware of the extent of his entrapment till much later .

Second, the human psyche is one that has to keep trying to get the required energy for any rescue of this nature to happen. 0 is an absolute number that very rarely exists in these situations. There is a reason why paramedics keep trying even when they know there is only like a 0.000001% chance their efforts will work ...they have to face their own sanity and psyche later....that they did not just let the odds dictate their response. Not trying at all, in whatever way you can, just makes the impact of defeat all the more crushing at a later date psychologically and emotionally....because you start to question yourself in really jarring ways.

Where is that verse from?

The top one (How can a man die better) is from the Lays of Ancient Rome

Lays of Ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely recommended reading if you like such sort of literature (like me).

I will never forget reading the Iliad for the first time in unadulterated/unshortened fashion which the lays of rome is heavily influenced by.

The top one (How can a man die better) is from the Lays of Ancient Rome

Lays of Ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely recommended reading if you like such sort of literature (like me).

I will never forget reading the Iliad for the first time in unadulterated/unshortened fashion which the lays of rome is heavily influenced by.

I could recite the 'Lays of ancient Rome' from memory when I was 16, and still can. :)

I was wondering about the other one, specific to Siachen. That is why I called it a 'verse', rather than a poem.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom