What's new

Roads in New Delhi vs Karachi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What changes did you make...?

And btw i got the info after searching on google news as well...
dont say u can edit google news as well!?:cheesy:

Read it once again, I hae written 5th gen jet in the very first line in intro... And Are we discussing of google news or Wiki?? And If You want to put a credible link why not put it from google news?

read the very first line, where I have written 5th gen jet In Bold words

Note:Wiki Pedia Re edited by me again, edited it wrongly once to show some that It can be edited...

Last edited:
Read it once again, I hae written 5th gen jet in the very first line in intro... And Are we discussing of google news or Wiki?? And If You want to put a credible link why not put it from google news?

read the very first line, where I have written 5th gen jet In Bold words

HAL Tejas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We aren't discussing anything.
I m just proving my point that i have browsed through the internet that the 5th gen fighter that india and russia are developing together will be the best ever made ....
equipped with BrahMos..the deadliest missile ever made..

No fighter can yet equip BrahMos because it's very huge ..
But the one which indo-russians are developing will be able to equip it.:yahoo:

We aren't discussing anything.
I m just proving my point that i have browsed through the internet that the 5th gen fighter that india and russia are developing together will be the best ever made ....
equipped with BrahMos..the deadliest missile ever made..

No fighter can yet equip BrahMos because it's very huge ..
But the one which indo-russians are developing will be able to equip it.:yahoo:

Again Wrong,Havent you red the news that Sukhoi 30 MKI will be equipped with BRAHMOS??

How many people here are relying on more than just anecdotes and pictures grabbed off the internet?

Anybody seen both cities? Anybody read more than a single survey of the transportation systems of both cities? Any scientific data or measurable indicators?

While you have specified "roads" as the main thing, it clearly shows the mentality that runs in the minds of urban upper middle class Pakistanis who simply cannot give a damn about a public transportation system. Islamabad's lack of an effective (or an ineffective one) public transportation system reflects the mindset, the ideology, the lack of will and spirit for social welfare and general social uplift among the residents of Islamabad who epitomize the upwardly mobile urban middle class in Pakistan.

I've been to New Delhi more than once and I assure you that while the road infrastructure in old Delhi is indeed incapable of holding much of any traffic and most highways are far worse than ours, the public transportation system is a great blessing for the working class. As most, maybe all members here represent middle and upper middle class, they simple couldn't care less about public transportation which is the main source of transportation for the general public.

Delhi's Bus Rapid Transit System and Delhi Metro both work efficiently, especially comparing to nonexistent public transportation in Islamabad or the existing poor systems in other major cities.

Regularized, administered and managed Public transportation has never existed in Pakistan, for it has never been the state's policy to address it. Local municipalities do not have enough resources to pay off their bills, much less invest in public transport. Provincial governments are deprived of tax revenue, all of which is eaten by the federal government. And the federal government is inefficient, twisted towards working on non general welfare projects and would have filed bankruptcy years ago had it been a corporation. Ineffective and inefficient governance has allowed the exploitation of the general public who are left at the mercy of transpiration mafia who transport 18 people inside a 10 seater van across towns, stopping at every inch of road and causing traffic jams. Buses are overloaded, in dilapidated condition and there exists no municipal control beyond basic price regulation.

I've seen more than half a dozen Indian cities and I can attest to the fact that highways across India are no match for our highway infrastructure. Most major highways across India are undergoing expansion and improvement but Pakistan's highway and inter city infrastructure is in much better condition, is far newer, far wider and overall far better. Intercity transport was painfully slow in India (except the Delhi Gurgaon expressway) compared to Pakistan where you can woof from Peshawar to Lahore in four hours. Our motorway system will be complete till Multan by the end of 2013 and around 2015 it will be Peshawar to Karachi by access controlled highways besides major transportation routes like the old N-5, the newer N-55 and the expansive national highways.

Intracity transport can be problematic and efficient at the same times. Elite urban areas are connected by expansive roads regardless of the fact that they need a 90 feet wide road to carry limited transportation and they have no sidewalks (who walks in an elite neighbourhood, duh !). More populated, denser and older areas are forgotten for nearly every penny spent by the state is deviated toward catering for the elites. Older neighbourhoods in Delhi face nearly the same prospect as far as I saw. Conditions were better in Mumbai and other cities when it came to older neighbourhoods.

Overall, Pakistan has a much better highway infrastructure. India's intracity transportation systems lack much because they have existing and sometimes efficient public transportation systems. They might lack the "width" that appeals to many untrained minds (expanding the road will solve all traffic problems mindset which appeals to most bureaucrats, politicians and appeases the upper middle class as it gives an incentive to buy even more cars to flood the streets).

Last edited:
^^^Well, its interesting that u raised the issue of public transport system in India and that good road only partly fulfills the purpose of communication.

In India ,we may not have empty 8 lane highways like Pakistan , though of course we are upgrading ,already have national highways with Up to 6 lane , existing state highways and the numerous long distance expressways are coming up.But so far and more so in future what servers most Indian best is cheap ,no frills ,but efficient Indian railways system.

Indian railway connects virtually every nook and corner of India wherever u have population that runs into few thousands.I can about talk my own state Odis ha, its of the same size of Sindh in Pakistan , is relatively poorly connected(up to 60%) by rail networks compared to states like Bihar or West Bengal where India rail minister usually comes from, has every big towns in different parts of the state connected with rail networks. Not only that trains both slow and fast shuttles also readily available with very cheap tariff rates making them first choice of Evey commuter for intra travel.Number of those trains also carry AC bogeys for those who want respite for summer heat and willing to pay for it. In other Indian state rail trans ports is only gets better.

It may be that due to smaller size of Pakistan, road transport makes better sense, but India due to its big size and population , be it passenger or goods ,railways traditionally have been considered the best form of transportation and much stress is laid on it.

ty...................

Cricketer, Sir just becuase you read somewhere or heard someone does not mean you take it literally, such talk is for the local audience and keeping enemies guessing.

Also, refrain from name calling, Indianarmy is a retired major and knows a lot more than you ever would. It is ok if two similar aged guys are using foul language but at least show some respect to your own, especially those who served your country.

Cricketer, Sir just becuase you read somewhere or heard someone does not mean you take it literally, such talk is for the local audience and keeping enemies guessing.

Also, refrain from name calling, Indianarmy is a retired major and knows a lot more than you ever would. It is ok if two similar aged guys are using foul language but at least show some respect to your own, especially those who served your country.

He dint Know I am an Army man, I guess this is usual Here, these foul languages.... It keeps me wondering though

How many people here are relying on more than just anecdotes and pictures grabbed off the internet?

Anybody seen both cities? Anybody read more than a single survey of the transportation systems of both cities? Any scientific data or measurable indicators?

While you have specified "roads" as the main thing, it clearly shows the mentality that runs in the minds of urban upper middle class Pakistanis who simply cannot give a damn about a public transportation system. Islamabad's lack of an effective (or an ineffective one) public transportation system reflects the mindset, the ideology, the lack of will and spirit for social welfare and general social uplift among the residents of Islamabad who epitomize the upwardly mobile urban middle class in Pakistan.

I've been to New Delhi more than once and I assure you that while the road infrastructure in old Delhi is indeed incapable of holding much of any traffic and most highways are far worse than ours, the public transportation system is a great blessing for the working class. As most, maybe all members here represent middle and upper middle class, they simple couldn't care less about public transportation which is the main source of transportation for the general public.

Delhi's Bus Rapid Transit System and Delhi Metro both work efficiently, especially comparing to nonexistent public transportation in Islamabad or the existing poor systems in other major cities.

Regularized, administered and managed Public transportation has never existed in Pakistan, for it has never been the state's policy to address it. Local municipalities do not have enough resources to pay off their bills, much less invest in public transport. Provincial governments are deprived of tax revenue, all of which is eaten by the federal government. And the federal government is inefficient, twisted towards working on non general welfare projects and would have filed bankruptcy years ago had it been a corporation. Ineffective and inefficient governance has allowed the exploitation of the general public who are left at the mercy of transpiration mafia who transport 18 people inside a 10 seater van across towns, stopping at every inch of road and causing traffic jams. Buses are overloaded, in dilapidated condition and there exists no municipal control beyond basic price regulation.

I've seen more than half a dozen Indian cities and I can attest to the fact that highways across India are no match for our highway infrastructure. Most major highways across India are undergoing expansion and improvement but Pakistan's highway and inter city infrastructure is in much better condition, is far newer, far wider and overall far better. Intercity transport was painfully slow in India (except the Delhi Gurgaon expressway) compared to Pakistan where you can woof from Peshawar to Lahore in four hours. Our motorway system will be complete till Multan by the end of 2013 and around 2015 it will be Peshawar to Karachi by access controlled highways besides major transportation routes like the old N-5, the newer N-55 and the expansive national highways.

Intracity transport can be problematic and efficient at the same times. Elite urban areas are connected by expansive roads regardless of the fact that they need a 90 feet wide road to carry limited transportation and they have no sidewalks (who walks in an elite neighbourhood, duh !). More populated, denser and older areas are forgotten for nearly every penny spent by the state is deviated toward catering for the elites. Older neighbourhoods in Delhi face nearly the same prospect as far as I saw. Conditions were better in Mumbai and other cities when it came to older neighbourhoods.

Overall, Pakistan has a much better highway infrastructure. India's intracity transportation systems lack much because they have existing and sometimes efficient public transportation systems. They might lack the "width" that appeals to many untrained minds (expanding the road will solve all traffic problems mindset which appeals to most bureaucrats, politicians and appeases the upper middle class as it gives an incentive to buy even more cars to flood the streets).

Well summed up. I have been to both places myself and largely agree to your assessment. Though a lot of up-gradation of road infra is underway particularly in Delhi (CWG Bah!!), still the most imprtant remains the public transport system. Otherwise all it takes is a small breakdown, to throw the entire system is disarray.

Pakistan - as i have mentioned earlier - Islamabad is a class apart - but it is not a city meant for everyone - and they make it quite clear.

Karachi and Delhi both can be termed as Patchy, but I found Delhi to be Greener than Karachi.

I specially liked the point raised about mentality of broadening of road as the solution, very astute observation. I beleive only efficient road infra is one which takes you to your destination promptly on time and without any hassles. While I take about an hour to reach my office about 24 kms away, although I am constantly on a 4 -6 lane road and crossing atleast 5 flyovers (The name certainly does not suit it) - I dont see how Delhi qualifies for having good road infra(metro is yet to reach my office place).

Only solution for me and thousands like me - is getting it connected via an efficient public transport (Metro) else we can take cool looking snaps of 6 / 8 or watever lanes in off peak hours and massage our egos by posting on forums such as these.

Great, now we're fighting Turkey. :rolleyes:

They should hold a test before letting people loose on the internet.

:rofl::rofl: seems like its India vs rest of the world..After Turkey which country?Papua New Guinea may be :rolleyes:

He is talking about Turkish army vs Indian army...not Turkish Population vs Indian population try to be sane...

Wat i meant was Turkey can never in any way be compared to India.
Im sane and i expect u to be sane.

Good joke... Navy of turkey is way stronger... The 1 carrier of india and that nuclear powered submarine doesn't change a ****.
Air force is way greater and better by turks.
When the Su-30MKI will arrive to indian air force with limited techs.
then indian air force will be slightly better.
but wait when turkish f35 and maybe typhoons will arrive.
then turkish air force will be double better then indian air force.

And the army of turkey has best tech and extremely good equipped with latest modern toys.
tanks and all that are much greater and better and wait for the Altay tank and those thousands of extremely good apc's of turks.

Its just more oil,higher,bugdet some millions more population and reserves that makes india at 4th place.
Turkey is second strongest in NATO.
and 4th strongest if you look at military ONLY.

and yeah, im George Bush...:rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom