What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

Competition is stronger than ever. Also just accuse the other countries of doping, proof is not needed these days.

Chinese need to revert to dirty tactics. West does it so should China.

You should only train lightly before any race.

You need to preserve energy for the race.

The last 25 meters of the race is where it's won or lost.

If you exert too much energy in training, you will have no energy left for the final 25 meters of the race.

Maybe Chinese swimming team should be under the guidance of a Western coach. Chinese coaches make too many dumb mistakes. Like with the weightlifting incident.
Actually they were training extremely hard three days or so before their event. Western swimmers do not go through this gruelling routine. Another mistake by Chinese coaches according to the sports commentators.

Actually they were training extremely hard three days or so before their event. Western swimmers do not go through this gruelling routine. Another mistake by Chinese coaches according to the sports commentators.

You can't learn anything new 3 days before the race.

The final days before the race is about getting your mind fully ready for the race. It's about mental preparation. Your body must be fully rested and only light casual swims just to get a nice feel and get into the groove.

All the swimmers in an Olympic final are great. There is very little separating them.

The crucial difference is rest and mental preparation. Also it's about race management. You can't go too hard early and then fade badly in the finish. I saw this with many Chinese swimmers. They go all out in the first part of the race and lead but when the second part comes, they are tired and fade away badly. This is poor race management. Michael Phelps and Sun Yang are 2 of the very best at race management.

yeah, he is latino but with a China flag !
A lot of false flaggers in this thread. Some from the Indonesian gang which is famous for the fake Japan people Nihonjin. Pls pay attention to the new members who registered after sending me scolding emails in which they pretended to be Chinese early this week.

what happened to the so called suuuupar pouuuuuwa with more than 1 billion PP?

Zero, 0 medal !
Come on! No India topic here!

Last edited:
Ding clinches table tennis gold, achieving career Grand Slam
August 11, 2016
c03fd5566a1d1916393459.jpg
China's Ding Ning returns the ball against her compatriot Li Xiaoxia during the women's singles gold medal match of table tennis at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. Ding Ning won the gold medal. (Xinhua/Lin Yiguang)

Ding Ning became the new Grand Slam winner of table tennis on Wednesday after winning in full sets over defending champion Li Xiaoxia in an all-Chinese women's singles final in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

The 26-year-old top seed, whose encounter with Li was a rematch of the London final four years ago, held her nerve to beat out her teammate 11-9, 5-11, 14-12, 9-11, 8-11, 11-7, 11-7.

"I'm happy with the result and have also enjoyed the process," said Ding at a post-match press conference.

It was the first time in the sport's 28-year history since the game was introduced to the 1988 Seoul Games that the same two players entered a singles final in back-to-back Olympic Games.

Four years ago in London, Ding lost to Li after being deducted three points by Italian umpire Paola Bongelli without any warning.

The twice world champion, however, declined to call it a revenge.

"Li Xiaoxia is my teammate and friend. I've learned a lot from her," she said. "After the failure in London 2012, I did thorough reflection and confirmed that I did want to continue fighting."

Facing an opponent as tough as the 28-year-old Li, Ding had not a second on court relaxed but kept cool head when it came up to decisions until she crouched in court and burst into tears after sealing the victory.

"I think I've been more seasoned and more up to challenge right now than four years ago," Ding said.

"After making through to the final, I said to myself that I was on my way to realizing my dream and should devote everything I have for it," she added. "That's why I lived the hardness but simultaneously enjoyed it."

Trailing 3-9 into the game, Li managed to score five points in a row to narrow the gap to 8-9, but Ding was the one to eventually win it 11-9.

The Chinese duo then exchanged leads in the following sets, which went as unpredictable as usual when it came between two Chinese players.

Both Ding and Li made few mistakes and none of them was able to guarantee an unbeatable lead, neither with Ding's trademark backhand serve or Li's fierce attack with crazy top spin.

In the later proved important third set, Ding took an earlier lead and denied a late comeback from Li to win 14-12, though she was quite uncomfortable with her left shoulder after two straight matches against defensive players before the final.

A highlight moment came on the court in the fifth set as the duo performed an eye-catching forehand counter attack before Li won the more than 20-tap rally to lead 9-3.

Later in the decider, with Li having denied two match points through serves, Ding called herself a timeout at the none-coach attended "civil war" , and came back to wrap up the match.

"I had no regrets," commented Li, who suggested earlier Wednesday that this could be her last Olympic Games earlier Wednesday after her semifinal against Ai Fukuhara.

"I had submitted my resignation application for retirement earlier this year but was later persuaded to stay for the Olympics. I want to express my gratitude to all those who pulled me back. I did my best today and the process is my reward," said the native of Shandong province.

Both Ding and Li told media after the final that the upcoming team event will be their next focus and they will fight alongside each other to make sure the gold would be pocketed by China.

"Sometimes we are rivals on court, especially in singles play. But for most of time, we are teammates and on the back of each other. That's why the Chinese women's national team has been dominant for such long time," said Li.

Earlier on Wednesday evening, Olympic debutant Kim Song-I of DPR Korea denied star paddler Ai Fukuhara's chance of launching a revenge for fellow Japanese Kasumi Ishikawa, beating the No. 6 seed 4-0 for an Olympic bronze medal.

FOREIGN201608111105000355966535722.jpg

China's Ding Ning returns the ball against her compatriot Li Xiaoxia during the women's singles gold medal match of table tennis at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

FOREIGN201608111105000360369275697.jpg
Gold medalist China's Ding Ning (C), silver medalist China's Li Xiaoxia (L), bronze medalist Kim Song I of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) attend the awarding ceremony for the women's singles final of table tennis at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

View attachment 324954
China's Ding Ning returns the ball against her compatriot Li Xiaoxia during the women's singles gold medal match of table tennis at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

Gold medalist China's Ding Ning (C), silver medalist China's Li Xiaoxia (L), bronze medalist Kim Song I of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) attend the awarding ceremony for the women's singles final of table tennis at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

Congrats to the DPRK medalist, as well. Great achievement!

So far DPRK has 4 medals; 2 silver, 2 bronze.

Hope this one is made correctly. The earlier not-made in China failed the genuinity test. LOL.

Corrected Chinese flags rushed to Rio after expedited production
(People's Daily Online) 14:52, August 11, 2016

FOREIGN201608111454000115024193958.jpg

(Snapshot photo shows a flawed Chinese national flag fly at the Rio Olympic Games.)

A Brazilian company has finished production of new Chinese national flags, which will be soon dispatched to Rio Olympic venues to replace the inaccurate ones, Xinhua News Agency reported.

According to the Chinese Embassy in Brazil, after it came to light that inaccurate Chinese flags had been used at several medals ceremonies in Rio, the Chinese Olympic Committee petitioned the organizing committee of the Rio Olympic Games to correct the mistake. The organizing committee agreed to replace the inaccurate Chinese flags for the remainder of the Games.

The company that the committee commissioned to produce all the national flags is located 75 kilometers from the city of Sao Paulo. In order to urge manufacturers to complete the flags as soon as possible, the Chinese Consulate General in Sao Paulo sent staff members to supervise the production on-site. After 30 hours of overtime work, the manufacturers finished the Chinese flags four to five days ahead of schedule.

The flags are expected to arrive in Rio on the 11th, and will be promptly dispatched to various Olympic venues. The whole process will be completed under the supervision of the Chinese Embassy in Brazil.

Song Yang, Chinese Consul General in Rio, said, "I'm looking forward to watching the national flags raised in the Rio Olympics, and our athletes continuing to achieve success."

On Aug. 6, Chinese netizens astutely pointed out that the Chinese flags flying at Olympic venues featured the four smaller stars of the Chinese flag laid out in a parallel pattern. Instead, the stars should be rotated so that each one points toward the center of the flag's one large star. The Rio Olympics organizing committee has apologized for the mistake.

Weightlifter Deng breaks world records at Rio Olympics
(Xinhua) 07:31, August 10, 2016

FOREIGN201608100741000549429248666.jpg

Chinese weightlifter Deng Wei won women's 63kg title with clean and jerk, total world records at Rio Olympic Games on August 9, 2016. [Photo: Weibo/ People's Daily]

RIO DE JANEIRO -- China's Deng Wei won the women's 63kg weightlifting by breaking two world records in just five lifts at the Rio Olympics on Tuesday.

Deng, world champion in 2014 and 2015, came into the clean and jerk competition with a four-kilo buffer in the snatch. After jerking 138kg in her first attempts, she had already won the gold medal with a total of 253kg as other opponents had finished all the lifts.

Then the 23-year-old lifter began her solo in the fifth attempts, putting an ambitious 147kg above her head steadily for a total of 262kg, breaking two world records in jerk and total by one kilo respectively.

Choe Hyo Sim of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, bronze medalist at the world championships in 2015, clinched the silver medal at 248kg while Karina Goricheva of Kazakhstan, third in 2015 world ranking, grabbed the bronze at 243kg.

Qin Kai, Cao Yuan claim bronze in men's synchronised 3m springboard diving
Source: Xinhua | 2016-08-11 05:54:29 | Editor: Hou Qiang

135584273_14708680910531n.jpg

Bronze medalists China's Cao Yuan and Qin Kai with their medals of the men's synchronized 3m springboard final at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Fei Maohua)

135584273_14708659543561n.jpg
Qin Kai (L) and Cao Yuan of China compete during the men's synchronised 3m springboard diving final at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. Qin Kai and Cao Yuan won the bronze medal. (Xinhua/Cao Can)

@Jlaw and @Economic superpower When will all the swimming matches end before China falls more behind in the medal count? I can see that USA's swimming medal count are tremendously one-sided against China and others. This is brutal.

I agree
The major fundamental reason is the swimming schedules which account for a total of 34 events all together for the swimmers (** men and women):
Freestyle **: 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 (women only) , and 1,500 (men only);
Backstroke **: 100 and 200;
Breaststroke **: 100 and 200;
Butterfly **: 100 and 200;
Individual medley **: 200 and 400;
Relays **: 4×100 free, 4×200 free; 4×100 medley
Marathon **: 10 kilometres

while in diving, only 8 events are scheduled. So it will make a whole lot of difference in the gold medals gap between China and the US if either the no of events in various distances in swimming is reduced or events, like in diving, are expanded

Qin Kai, Cao Yuan claim bronze in men's synchronised 3m springboard diving
Source: Xinhua | 2016-08-11 05:54:29 | Editor: Hou Qiang

View attachment 324983
Bronze medalists China's Cao Yuan and Qin Kai with their medals of the men's synchronized 3m springboard final at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. (Xinhua/Fei Maohua)

Qin Kai (L) and Cao Yuan of China compete during the men's synchronised 3m springboard diving final at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. Qin Kai and Cao Yuan won the bronze medal. (Xinhua/Cao Can)

That was a sub-par performance for our diving team
Their leading advantage was lost from the third dive onwards and in the last dive they needed a perfect execution to gain extra 11 points over the leading Brits for the gold which did not happen
I wish the whole Chinese diving team can hold their nerves after this setback and regain composure to take the rest of the gold medals so best of luck to them all

Hope this one is made correctly. The earlier not-made in China failed the genuinity test. LOL.

Corrected Chinese flags rushed to Rio after expedited production
(People's Daily Online) 14:52, August 11, 2016

(Snapshot photo shows a flawed Chinese national flag fly at the Rio Olympic Games.)

A Brazilian company has finished production of new Chinese national flags, which will be soon dispatched to Rio Olympic venues to replace the inaccurate ones, Xinhua News Agency reported.

According to the Chinese Embassy in Brazil, after it came to light that inaccurate Chinese flags had been used at several medals ceremonies in Rio, the Chinese Olympic Committee petitioned the organizing committee of the Rio Olympic Games to correct the mistake. The organizing committee agreed to replace the inaccurate Chinese flags for the remainder of the Games.

The company that the committee commissioned to produce all the national flags is located 75 kilometers from the city of Sao Paulo. In order to urge manufacturers to complete the flags as soon as possible, the Chinese Consulate General in Sao Paulo sent staff members to supervise the production on-site. After 30 hours of overtime work, the manufacturers finished the Chinese flags four to five days ahead of schedule.

The flags are expected to arrive in Rio on the 11th, and will be promptly dispatched to various Olympic venues. The whole process will be completed under the supervision of the Chinese Embassy in Brazil.

Song Yang, Chinese Consul General in Rio, said, "I'm looking forward to watching the national flags raised in the Rio Olympics, and our athletes continuing to achieve success."

On Aug. 6, Chinese netizens astutely pointed out that the Chinese flags flying at Olympic venues featured the four smaller stars of the Chinese flag laid out in a parallel pattern. Instead, the stars should be rotated so that each one points toward the center of the flag's one large star. The Rio Olympics organizing committee has apologized for the mistake.

I'll take this as a blessing in disguise Because of the publicity, more people around town are aware of the meaning behind the positioning of the stars on our flag now
And yes, the faulty flags were not made in China.

Also:

"Olympic debutant Kim Song-I of DPR Korea denied star paddler Ai Fukuhara's chance of launching a revenge for fellow Japanese Kasumi Ishikawa, beating the No. 6 seed 4-0 for an Olympic bronze medal."

The match result for the bronze medal should be 4-1 not 4-0 to the North Korean

To her opponents, Kim played with a style which may have appeared deceptively defensive with a lot of heavy underspins and sidespins as well as the call for patience for most of the play but then when opportunities come, her sudden attacks always caught the opponent flatfooted
Well played for a debutant and congrats

Last edited:
Chinese Taipei archer Tan Yating just beat the competitor from India in eliminations.

Wow, what a performance with consecutive hit on the ten-point mark.
Congrats!

Ma Long has just won Japanese in the semi-final.
Their performance was top-notch, especially the final set, amazing!
Spectators even stood up to cheer after each point, every point was an art!

w5703c0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom