What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

Because the Chinese swimmers are in magazines, etc . In Canada, you win first than you achieve fame and glory. China is opposite. Oh look, this Ning is so handsome! This girl swimmer is so pretty--yet they win nothing to deserve a spot in a magazine.

It will get worse here just like Chinese men's basketball

Unbelievable.

The ruthless winning mentality is gone from Chinese sports.

It's now about the participation trophies and how good looking someone is or how funny someone is.

Sad state of affairs.

Unbelievable.

The ruthless winning mentality is gone from Chinese sports.

It's now about the participation trophies and how good looking someone is or how funny someone is.

Sad state of affairs.

just stick to playing ping pong I guess :D

They need a revamp of the swimming coaches. Only good swimmer is Sun Yang. Fu's bronze was a fluke and her personality lack the killer instinct. I've seen this type of personality with Canadian athletes in the past but that has changed.

Canada got new coaches and changed their swimming program. Now you see better results. China is regressing backwards in swimming.

Last edited:
just stick to playing ping pong I guess :D

They need a revamp of the swimming coaches. Only good swimmer is Sun Yang. Fu's bronze was a fluke and her personality lack the killer instinct. I've seen this type of personality with Canadian athletes in the past but that has changed.

Not just the swimming coaches but the entire attitude, culture and mentality of Chinese swimmers needs a revamp.

You have to have that ruthless killer instinct as you said.

Young talent should be groomed to get experience in world championships. Not in the damn Olympics.

You can't just go easy in 1 Olympics to get experience for the next Olympics. That's laughable.

Where was Tang Yi in the women's freestyle events?

Chinese divers are always making China proud by keeping up their standards and winning. These clown swimmers are going backwards yet they get all the magazine covers and fame.

*shaking my head*

@Jlaw and @Economic superpower When will all the swimming matches end before China falls more behind in the medal count? I can see that USA's swimming medal count are tremendously one-sided against China and others. This is brutal.

China is significantly underperforming in the swimming this year compared to 2012.

Does anyone know many golds and total medals China had after day 5 in 2012 Olympics? So we can compare the performances to this year?

@Jlaw and @Economic superpower When will all the swimming matches end before China falls more behind in the medal count? I can see that USA's swimming medal count are tremendously one-sided against China and others. This is brutal.

China was not going to match the US in medal counts in this Olympic or any future Olympic (at least not in my life time). It's just a media hype and I think the athletes and coaches lost that killer instinct after Beijing 2008. Now you see these Chinese athletes grazing the pages of popular magazines, TV without even winning anything

upload_2016-8-10_23-43-17.png

China's games of power continue with medal haul
(Chinadaily.com.cn) 10:27, August 11, 2016

Xiang Yanmei of China shrugged off the unexpected neck injury to win the gold medal for China in the women's 69kg category final on Wednesday.

Xiang, winner at the world championships in 2013 and 2015, failed in her third attempt in the snatch competition when she put the 118kg barbell above her head but suddenly the barbell fell awkwardly on her head and down her neck and dropped to the floor.

Zhazira Zhapparkul of Kazakhstan, who stood below Xiang on the podium at the 2015 worlds, claimed the silver with a total of 259kg and the bronze went to Sara Ahmed of Egypt at 255kg.

Lyu Xiaojun won silver medal in men's 77kg weightlifting at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. Lyu smashed the men's snatch world record with 177kg. Lyu lost his gold medal to Nijat Rahimov of Kazakhstan due to his weight.

Cheng Xunzhao won bronze medal in men's 90kg judo class at Rio Olympics to mark the country's male judoist best Olympic performance.

China's Lin Chaopan and Deng Shudi took fifth and sixth spot in artistic gymnastics men's individual all-around at Rio Olympics. Japan's Kohei Uchimura won the gold medal.

Lyu Xiaojun of China reacts during the men's 77kg weightlifting final at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug 10, 2016. Lyu won the silver medal. [Photo/Xinhua]

Xiang Yanmei of China shrugged off the unexpected neck injury to win the gold medal for China in the women's 69kg category final on Wednesday.

Xiang, winner at the world championships in 2013 and 2015, failed in her third attempt in the snatch competition when she put the 118kg barbell above her head but suddenly the barbell fell awkwardly on her head and down her neck and dropped to the floor.

Zhazira Zhapparkul of Kazakhstan, who stood below Xiang on the podium at the 2015 worlds, claimed the silver with a total of 259kg and the bronze went to Sara Ahmed of Egypt at 255kg.

Lyu Xiaojun won silver medal in men's 77kg weightlifting at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Aug. 10, 2016. Lyu smashed the men's snatch world record with 177kg. Lyu lost his gold medal to Nijat Rahimov of Kazakhstan due to his weight.

Cheng Xunzhao won bronze medal in men's 90kg judo class at Rio Olympics to mark the country's male judoist best Olympic performance.

China's Lin Chaopan and Deng Shudi took fifth and sixth spot in artistic gymnastics men's individual all-around at Rio Olympics. Japan's Kohei Uchimura won the gold medal.

Cheng celebrates after winning the bronze medal. [Photo/Xinhua]

I watched that. She already won the gold after two lifts and the stupid fucking coach made her lift 147kg. She hurt her back.

Even the commentators were like, "WTF, she already won gold, why put her through this stress and risk injury.."

They were right. These Chinese coaches are just so old school. I wouldn't be surprised that more Chinese athletes will have a shorter career than their western counterpart. Coaches put them through gruelling training at the wrong time

I watched that. She already won the gold after two lifts and the stupid fucking coach made her lift 147kg. She hurt her back.

Even the commentators were like, "WTF, she already won gold, why put her through this stress and risk injury.."

They were right. These Chinese coaches are just so old school. I wouldn't be surprised that more Chinese athletes will have a shorter career than their western counterpart. Coaches put them through gruelling training at the wrong time

I once read Chinese swimming coaches make the swimmers train so hard the old school style by doing repetitions that they eventually burn out or get injured or both. Mentally and physically they are destroyed even before they get to competition.

But when Chinese swimmers went to train in Australia under Aussie coaches, they learnt that rest is equally as important as training. It helps to recover the body and mind and be at optimal level when the competition begins.

They also learnt about having a proper nutrition, about what foods to eat and what not to eat.

They also learnt about strengthening exercises for certain parts of the body where the muscles get used the most, which requires a lot of strength.

They also learnt about technique.

You need everything combined from technique, nutrition, exercises, train & rest.

This is sports science.

Chinese coaches still have the old method of hard training. It might work for some sports but not for others. American and Australian coaches use modern methods to train.

It's about smart training, not hard training.

what happened to the so call suuuupar pouuuuuwa with more than 1 billion PP?

Zero, 0 medal !
This thread is not about India.

I once read Chinese swimming coaches make the swimmers train so hard the old school style by doing repetitions that they eventually burn out or get injured or both. Mentally and physically they are destroyed even before they get to competition.

But when Chinese swimmers went to train in Australia under Aussie coaches, they learnt that rest is equally as important as training. It helps to recover the body and mind and be at optimal level when the competition begins.

They also learnt about having a proper nutrition, about what foods to eat and what not to eat.

They also learnt about strengthening exercises for certain parts of the body where the muscles get used the most, which requires a lot of strength.

You need everything combined from technique, nutrition, exercises, train & rest.

This is sports science.

Chinese coaches still have the old method of hard training. It might work for some sports but not for others. American and Australian coaches use modern methods to train.

I guess no Australian coach will want to train the Chinese athletes eh? In fact here's a dirty little secret. You know that lean mean body guys always want--it's 70% diet, 30% weight training. No matter how hard you train, if you don't have a proper diet, you will not get that nice muscular body.

Oh come on guy Im sure the Chinese sports institutes are well aware of proper scientific nutrition and training techniques. China is not a backward country.

I think that what the coaches ride on is the Chinese tolerance for pain and bitterness in order to push the athletes above their global peers. This might seem cruel but discipline and hard work is a Chinese merit.

The problem for larger countries with huge populations is that they can only send one team. One way to play this is to send B team athletes and qualifiers to play for Hong Kong. After unification under two systems, Taiwan can also field another Chinese team.

Then there will be three huge Chinese teams.

Last edited:

This is sports science.

The two Chinese female swimmers were a victim of burn out for 200m butterfly. Reporter saw them training extremely hard whereas the other competitors were not training during the days before the race. They burnt out during the race

yeah, he is latino but with a China flag !
Ok, I know who he is.

Oh come on guy Im sure the Chinese sports institutes are well aware of proper scientific nutrition and training techniques. China is not a backward country.

I think that what the coaches ride on is the Chinese tolerance for pain and tolerance in order to push the athletes above their global peers. This might seem cruel but discipline and hard work is a Chinese merit.

That I don't know. But when your swim team is regressing and not progressing, something is wrong.

The two Chinese female swimmers were a victim of burn out for 200m butterfly. Reporter saw them training extremely hard whereas the other competitors were not training during the days before the race. They burnt out during the race

You should only train lightly before any race.

You need to preserve energy for the race.

The last 25 meters of the race is where it's won or lost.

If you exert too much energy in training, you will have no energy left for the final 25 meters of the race.

Maybe Chinese swimming team should be under the guidance of a Western coach. Chinese coaches make too many dumb mistakes. Like with the weightlifting incident.

Back
Top Bottom