What's new

Revealed: The LCA Tejas That The IAF Has Chosen

It shows that this is just show that it is experimental system with flaws still being worked out

Here is hot refueling pic
clean and precise , one airman on watch

120410-M-0000H-000.jpg

Compare this to the drama pic of yours

One with expired fire extinguisher and the other with his face covered with cap , and third lifting hands for what
There seems to a tears in the refueling probe and some pans placed underneath to stop spills from leaks , the ground gives a glimpse of the spill

View attachment 314227

Just to explain it a little more further brother, SOP of Certification & Testing process is to have all emergency services on stand by until a system is deemed reliable and passes all QC. The Tejas picture was clicked while being tested for its Hot refueling certification. The F/A-18 picture was clicked during a routine Hot refueling procedure.
US_Navy_100204-N-7058E-282_ailors_perform_a_hot_refueling_on_an_MH-60S_Sea_Hawk_helicopter_aboard_the_littoral_combat_ship_USS_Freedom_(LCS_1)_during_pre-deployment_workups.jpg

The attached picture is a hot refueling certification process for US Navy LCS 1 - USS Freedom for MH-60S Sea Haw helicopters they are intended to carry.

This is not unique to military aviation, even civil aviation has strict requirements to have emergency services on stand-by during tests until Certification is achieved

Hope it clears your question. Good Day!

Last edited:
The Spares can lie right next to the aircraft and it wont matter because it will take fifty minutes to do a job that could be done in 15 like a maintenance friendly jet such as a F-5

That's "IF" you have the spares.
Quantum of time does not matter if the spares are not available in the first place.

Just to explain it a little more further brother, SOP of Certification & Testing process is to have all emergency services on stand by until a system is deemed reliable and passes all QC. The Tejas picture was clicked while being tested for its Hot refueling certification. The F/A-18 picture was clicked during a routine Hot refueling procedure.
US_Navy_100204-N-7058E-282_ailors_perform_a_hot_refueling_on_an_MH-60S_Sea_Hawk_helicopter_aboard_the_littoral_combat_ship_USS_Freedom_(LCS_1)_during_pre-deployment_workups.jpg

The attached picture is a hot refueling certification process for US Navy LCS 1 - USS Freedom for MH-60S Sea Haw helicopters they are intended to carry.

This is not unique to military aviation, even civil aviation has strict requirements to have emergency services on stand-by during tests until Certification is achieved

Ok fair enough

what about the guy with his cap pulled over his face and also the green/red pans placed under the aircraft

upload_2016-6-27_13-25-11-png.314227

Ok fair enough

what about the guy with his cap pulled over his face and also the green/red pans placed under the aircraft

We dont know, please forward any message to ADA about the certification process, procedures LCA went through in LEH. Then come back and post in this thread. All we know is that it passed the LEH trials.

That's "IF" you have the spares.
Quantum of time does not matter if the spares are not available in the first place.
Essentially, the Tejas is still stuck in its prototype stage then. If the IAF maintainers cannot go ahead and change basic LRU's without spending hours disassembling the aircraft; then its an aircraft designed with poor foresight.
It can have excellent avionics, maneuver great and all that; but its not going to be flying very often.

These were MASSIVE oversights if so and the IAF was right to tell the ADA to fix it or forget them even looking at it.

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding this. These issues are infact very serious and should be rectified on priority. But personally I feel that these issues could have been worked out if the AF were more involved in the project.

We have a similar procedure for civil aircraft where the operators suggest improvements for the maintainability of an aircraft which gets researched and implemented. Many a times the designers overlook the maintenance point of view and put more importance on other factors. The best person who can suggest improvements is ofcourse the person who does the actual maintenance job and for this the service should have been more involved in the project. This would have helped these issues being sorted out even before the Limited Series Production aircraft were assembled.

I'm personally happy they are to begin squadron service even if its 2-4 aircraft, this will help single out more faults and issues. This is why I admire the block production process for JF-17. If we had too the same route, we'd be working on Mar-3 by now. Anyways its better late than never and this is the actual point of a start up project, to identify mistakes and improve them thereby creating a solid infrastructure for the future.

Good Day

Essentially, the Tejas is still stuck in its prototype stage then. If the IAF maintainers cannot go ahead and change basic LRU's without spending hours disassembling the aircraft; then its an aircraft designed with poor foresight.
It can have excellent avionics, maneuver great and all that; but its not going to be flying very often.

I was referring to the non availability of spares for imported machines that has been historically, a huge problem for India.

With Tejas that would change, at least that is the hope.

To your comment, I would pass it on to some of the more educated people here to address it.

We dont know, please forward any message to ADA about the certification process, procedures LCA went through in LEH. Then come back and post in this thread. All we know is that it passed the LEH trials.

sure .. passed with waivers and erratas

It definitely has many issues and I believe the squadron service is the best way to scrutinize it more and improve it. Again this is not the best plane in the world, nor is it designed with a purpose to rule the planet. This is just our starting step into the field, albeit a very late one.

Mind you, in the LEH winter trials(where it's already freezing) they soaked both LCA and LCH in cold water over night.

Ok fair enough

I'm sorry i'll have to split your question to answer you better.

1. what about the guy with his cap pulled over his face
The testing was carried out in high altitude which means lower temperature.
coldbuff.jpg

This guy isn't doing a Hot refueling procedure but loos like somewhere cold?

2. and also the green/red pans placed under the aircraft

Honestly IDK, and i really wouldn't care. It could even be an oil servicing being multi tasked or a leak from a drain valve, who knows.

Even if it was JF-17 or J-20, last thing I'd try to pick on would be why someone is covering his face or why there are pans on the floor.

Good Day

U guys should also order Trucks for showcasing during parades just in case :partay::partay::partay:

Don't worry, we make those too.

What is this fellow trying to do ?
View attachment 314221
There seems to be a known flaw where the aircraft catches fire and this fellow is put in place to put it out in case that happens

No, he's checking its ground clearance in case our made-in-India truck breaks down. Happy?

Now LOOK what you've done. His evening is ruined; his cud is soured. He's going back to the Internet to find what else nasty can be said about Tejas.

It definitely has many issues and I believe the squadron service is the best way to scrutinize it more and improve it. Again this is not the best plane in the world, nor is it designed with a purpose to rule the planet. This is just our starting step into the field, albeit a very late one.

It is a starting step that took over 30 years to materialise due to nothing more than poor planning and poor management.
Even with good assistance and otherwise, the Tejas is now bordering on the edge of irrelevancy to its primary customer.

It is a starting step that took over 30 years to materialize due to nothing more than poor planning and poor management.
Even with good assistance and otherwise, the Tejas is now bordering on the edge of irrelevancy to its primary customer.

Agreed but better late than never. For a project of such magnitude to achieve success, you need support of both Bureaucracy and Services. Clearly one of them or either were always lacking in this project, we can only hope things will improve over time and I must say there was never a better atmosphere than the present for Tejas to serve the country.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom