What's new

Resentment brewing in TN against UPA’s stance

Sashan

Reaction score
Katchatheevu, a 285 acre islet situated 17 km north east of Rameswaram, has become a bone of contention between the Tamil Nadu Government and the Centre. The Union Government’s submission to the Supreme Court that Katchatheevu never was a part of India has upset the entire fishing community in coastal Tamil Nadu as well as all political parties in the State.

The Union Government’s submission was in response to a petition filed by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa asking the apex court to declare null and void the treaties signed between India and Sri Lanka in 1974 and 1976 over transferring the ownership of the islet to Sri Lanka. The resentment among the fishing community could emerge as a major law and order problem, fear security and intelligence agencies.

More than a hundred fishermen from Tamil Nadu are languishing in Sri Lankan jails for charges of fishing near Katchatheevu islet, an integral part of India till 1974. Not a single day passes in Tamil Nadu without complaints from fishermen from the State who blame the Sri Lankan Navy for assaulting them and seizing their catch.

The agreements on Katchatheevu were signed between the then Prime Ministers of India and Sri Lanka, Indira Gandhi and Sirimao Bandaranayake respectively. With the signing of the agreements, India handed over Katchatheevu islet , an uninhabited area, on a platter to Sri Lanka.

Jayalalithaa had pointed out that this was done without amending the Constitution under Article 368. She also said that the State of Tamil Nadu was not taken into confidence, yet another pre-condition for such an action.

The islet has been an integral part of India since 1605. During the regime of Naykars in Madurai, the Ramanathapuram Principality was established with 69 coastal villages, seven islets, including Katchatheevu in the Palk Strait. Since then the islet was considered as an integral part of the Ramanathapuram zamindari ruled by the Sethupathis. “There are enough documents in the Ramanathapuram registrar office which prove beyond doubt that Katchatheevu was part of their Zamin,” D Kuppuramu, lawyer, Madras High Court (Madurai Bench) told The Pioneer.

The uninhabited islet was used mainly by fishermen who set sailing from Rameswaram and nearby areas to dry fish, drying their nets and rest during their fishing operations in deep sea. The only structure in Katchatheevu is the St Antony’s Church, a shrine of the Roman Catholic community. Every March see fishermen from India and Sri Lanka converging here to celebrate the festival of St Antony.

“All historical data prove that the islet is part of the Sethupathi dynasty,” said Kumar Sethupathi, member of the royal family. He also claimed that the then governor of Ceylon had admitted in 1845 itself that the islet was part of the Sethupathi dynasty.

Princess RBK Rajeswari Natchiyar, the present head of the family, said the Sethupathis do not know how and when the land was acquired by the Union Government for handing it over to Sri Lanka. “We had allowed fishermen in the region to make use of the islet for fishing and drying their nets free of cost. All documents under the possession of the family say that we are the sole owners of the islet. We only thought about the welfare of the fishermen when we allowed them to make use of the islet. It is sad to see that they are not allowed anywhere near the islet which once belonged to them,” said the Princess.

Resentment brewing in TN against UPA?s stance

Liars in the UPA trying to cover Indira's blunder thereby alienating people of TN.

what did Tamilnadu benefit from being part of India ?

1) Hindi imposition
2) lost of Dravidian identity / culture
3) Tamil genocide in Lanka
4) lost of an island an integral part of the country, causing the Fishermen to languish in Lankan jails, if by luck not shot by the Lankan navy

what did Tamilnadu benefit from being part of India ?

1) Hindi imposition
2) lost of Dravidian identity / culture
3) Tamil genocide in Lanka
4) lost of an island an integral part of the country, causing the Fishermen to languish in Lankan jails, if by luck not shot by the Lankan navy

1) Go to Tamil Nadu and ask how many of them forced to read/write/speak Hindi they will tell you by kicking your arse.

2) Same as 1st answer. Ask them what they lost and I am sure they will give you by ki.........

3) But no genocide of Tamils in India.

4) Party of b!tches given them unconstitutionally at the time of emergency.

1) Go to Tamil Nadu and ask how many of them forced to read/write/speak Hindi they will tell you by kicking your arse.

Cross posting from a Tamil forum for your benefit

Is there Hindi imposition.

1. All Indian gov employees must pass Hindi exam.

2. all indian gov employees must write certain % of letters in Hindi (even within TN 50%)

3. Indian "national" TV has may be 50 times more Hindi movies than all other languages combined.

4. Indian regional channel in Chennai shows more Hindi movies than Tamil movies (TRUE)

5. Cheenai regional chanel shows Hindi news at early night time but Tamil news after most people go to sleep.

6. Indian gov employees in TN who do not pass Hindi exams do not get their annual pay raise.

7. Hindi announcement in air flight!

8. Hindi announcements in more and more TN rail stations

9. Drug labels in Hindi

10. Embassies are told to promote Hindi film

2259-is-there-hindi-imposition-in-india

2. all indian gov employees must write certain % of letters in Hindi (even within TN 50%)

3. Indian "national" TV has may be 50 times more Hindi movies than all other languages combined.

4. Indian regional channel in Chennai shows more Hindi movies than Tamil movies (TRUE)

5. Cheenai regional chanel shows Hindi news at early night time but Tamil news after most people go to sleep.

6. Indian gov employees in TN who do not pass Hindi exams do not get their annual pay raise.

9. Drug labels in Hindi

Well I don't know all about it as I am a not Tamil but sure some members from Tamil Nadu can give you better picture of it. BTW I am from a non Hindi speaking state as well.

3) But no genocide of Tamils in India. .

Veteran Lankan politician calls for Indian peace initiative

The Indian government should help end the killing of innocent Tamil civilians by immediately ending all military aid to the Sri Lankan armed forces according to Siritunga Jayasuriya veteran Sri Lankan politician and candidate in the 2005 Presidential elections.

"The Indian government should set a positive example by stopping all its military support to the Sri Lankan government right now", Mr Jayasuriya said alleging that India was logistically helping the Sri Lankan armed forces in its military campaign in the northern part of the country.

There are an estimated 250,000 Tamil civilians trapped along with the LTTE guerillas and there are mounting fears of a horrific massacre if the Sri Lankan forces go for an all out attack on the area.

He was also critical of the Sri Lankan government's plans to round up Tamil civilians and put them in high security refugee camps and said that this was against international norms for treatment of internally displaced people.

9. Drug labels in Hindi

All of these are fake claims. :woot::woot::woot:

Veteran Lankan politician calls for Indian peace initiative

The Indian government should help end the killing of innocent Tamil civilians by immediately ending all military aid to the Sri Lankan armed forces according to Siritunga Jayasuriya veteran Sri Lankan politician and candidate in the 2005 Presidential elections.

"The Indian government should set a positive example by stopping all its military support to the Sri Lankan government right now", Mr Jayasuriya said alleging that India was logistically helping the Sri Lankan armed forces in its military campaign in the northern part of the country.

There are an estimated 250,000 Tamil civilians trapped along with the LTTE guerillas and there are mounting fears of a horrific massacre if the Sri Lankan forces go for an all out attack on the area.

He was also critical of the Sri Lankan government's plans to round up Tamil civilians and put them in high security refugee camps and said that this was against international norms for treatment of internally displaced people.

You moron is there any thing to do with Indian tamils?

9. Drug labels in Hindi

India's official languages are Hindi and English. right?

9. Drug labels in Hindi

I was born and brought up in chennai- though my tamilian heriatge is 'recieved' because my family was from a neighboring state I am a PROUD Tamilian. WRT to questions on Tamil relationship with India, come down and meet me, I'll gag you and bind you Katch Thivu itself. Thamizha Rattam da, Indian !!!

9. Drug labels in Hindi

WTF? :hitwall:

You have no idea about recruitment in India and yet you brain fart here? You don't need to learn Hindi to get a level-1 and level -2 job in Govt, English is enough. For lower level jobs all you need is to be good at your local language.

9. Drug labels in Hindi

I am grateful that the local language is allowed to be practiced in different states instead of hindi being forced. If I have my kid growing up today in TN, I would want her to study Hindi along with Tamil and English. So I do see any issues there.

Not sure you have been to Tamilnadu but we are fine with what we have - Beyond that here is the response to your claim.

1,2 answered by @sree45
3,4,5 - Who watches Doordarshan channels after private channels started in early 1990s - so never had an issue there - the only time I had issues was during the cricket commentary in 1980s when there was a 15 min switch between Hindi and English commentary.
6 - I do not believe so
7,8 - annoucements are made in 3 languages - tamil, english, hindi
9 - many drug labels are in two languages - english and hindi - that is enough for us
10 - you have hindi prachar sabha which promotes Hindi even within Tamilnadu but that there is where I learnt my Hindi, as long as a language is not forced on you what is wrong in learning it? It helps in travelling North for me though I must say my Hindi is poor as I had no way put it to practice.

Now come back to the topic at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom