What's new

Replacement for TuAF's T-37, T-38 and F-5 fleet?

Not a god damn thing so far, but you can bet yo *** that South Korea will be attending to any possible tenders and T50 will be competing with K-8P

But by then we'll be finished our TF-X fighter project(hopefully) and we may not require any foreign assistance after all. it's early to say.

Hi TF-X would take alot of time should expect it by 2030. TF-X has nothing to do with the replacement of basic to advance Trainers.

The potential candidates as Aeronaut stated are B.A.E Hawk, KAI T-50 and possible twin-seat JF-17 but in addition M-346 is also a strong candidate.

US T-38s are going under several modifications/upgrades to serve up till 6-8 years, they have also a replacement program with the above listed aircrafts except for Pakistani product.

If for the sake of argument, Turkey issues a tender, the JF-17s will compete against T-50, while K-8s compete against BAE HAWK and other AJTs.
Okay, I get it now, these planes are in the same class with YAK-130 that Iran tried to copy :D
I don't think there would be much of a competition K8 has a big chance of winning.

@Luftwaffe I find the 2023 deadline of TF-X project very reallistic, since we won't R&D the engine(s) of the aircraft and we already have a lot of experience on avionics. And especially since this isn't going to be a %100 national project. I'm positive It'll happen within the next 10 years.

I don't think there will be a chance for JF17 as a LIFT aircraft for Turkish Air Force, actually there's a NATO-wide question here since F35 isn't going to have a two-seat variant. But I think Turkish jet trainer is going to answer that.

As for AJT goes I think K8P has a greater chance than BAE hawk since we don't have military relations with UK. We've worked with Alenia on Meltem project but nevermind that.

Back
Top Bottom