What's new

Renewable Energy in Turkey

Renewables' share of Turkey's installed capacity at 45%

The share of renewable energy sources of Turkey's installed electricity capacity reached 45.2% in 2019, compared to 44.7% in 2018, according to the Turkish Energy Market Regulatory Authority's (EMRA) latest report on Friday.

EMRA's Electricity Market Report 2019 showed that Turkey's licensed installed capacity increased 2.1% to 84,957 megawatts last year. Natural gas got the lion’s share at 30.5%, followed by hydroelectricity with 24.3%, lignite with 11.9%, and imported coal with 10.6%.

Licensed electricity production saw a decline of 0.6% to 294,251 gigawatt-hours. Nearly 30.2% of licensed electricity production came from hydraulic plants, while imported coal, natural gas, lignite plants followed with 20.5%, 19.2% and 15.9%, respectively.

Renewable sources' share in licensed electricity production also posted a considerable increase, from 30.7% in 2018 to 42.1% in 2019.

Turkey's unlicensed installed capacity also scaled up by 18.8% to 6,309 megawatts, with 92.3% of this capacity coming from solar power plants. Unlicensed power production rose by 19.7% compared to 2018 and reached 9,829 gigawatt-hours.

- Imports and exports decrease

Meanwhile, Turkey's electricity imports decreased by 10.3% to 2.2 terawatt-hours. Of these imports, 88.7% came from Bulgaria, 11.2% from Georgia and 0.2% from Greece.

Turkey's electricity exports also showed a 9.3% fall to 2.8 terawatt-hours. Turkey exported 95.7% to Greece and 4.3% to Bulgaria and Georgia.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/general/renewables-share-of-turkeys-installed-capacity-at-45-/29495

EZlE9j9WoAA2bkW

As of June 3, 2020 in Turkey's electricity production based on domestic and dividing the percentage of renewable energy

Last edited:

The share of renewable energy sources of Turkey's installed electricity capacity reached 45.2% in 2019, compared to 44.7% in 2018, according to the Turkish Energy Market Regulatory Authority's (EMRA) latest report on Friday.

EMRA's Electricity Market Report 2019 showed that Turkey's licensed installed capacity increased 2.1% to 84,957 megawatts last year. Natural gas got the lion’s share at 30.5%, followed by hydroelectricity with 24.3%, lignite with 11.9%, and imported coal with 10.6%.

Licensed electricity production saw a decline of 0.6% to 294,251 gigawatt-hours. Nearly 30.2% of licensed electricity production came from hydraulic plants, while imported coal, natural gas, lignite plants followed with 20.5%, 19.2% and 15.9%, respectively.

Renewable sources' share in licensed electricity production also posted a considerable increase, from 30.7% in 2018 to 42.1% in 2019.

Turkey's unlicensed installed capacity also scaled up by 18.8% to 6,309 megawatts, with 92.3% of this capacity coming from solar power plants. Unlicensed power production rose by 19.7% compared to 2018 and reached 9,829 gigawatt-hours.

Meanwhile, Turkey's electricity imports decreased by 10.3% to 2.2 terawatt-hours. Of these imports, 88.7% came from Bulgaria, 11.2% from Georgia and 0.2% from Greece.

Turkey's electricity exports also showed a 9.3% fall to 2.8 terawatt-hours. Turkey exported 95.7% to Greece and 4.3% to Bulgaria and Georgia.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/general/renewables-share-of-turkeys-installed-capacity-at-45-/29495

EZlE9j9WoAA2bkW

As of June 3, 2020 in Turkey's electricity production based on domestic and dividing the percentage of renewable energy
Nice wordplay here, this graph isnt about Renewable energy only but also domestic.
Coal which is second biggest one with 14% is not good at all, its one of the dirtiest enegry sources there is.

Nice wordplay here, this graph isnt about Renewable energy only but also domestic.
Coal which is second biggest one with 14% is not good at all, its one of the dirtiest enegry sources there is.

just shows that they’re telling lies to the public.

Also, let’s not ignore how these are financed, and how much we’re paying for this renewable energy.

We shouldnt forget that this is in the middle of the crisis, so energy consumption must be pretty low right now. Nevertheless good news.

EZlE9j9WoAA2bkW

Am I missing something here? The article says 45% is renewable, while 66% is domestic and renewable combined? The graph is pretty transparent regarding the information it is showing, in my opinion.

I am not a fan of coal either by the way, but I understand the strategy that they are going for. They want to be completely independent from outside sources regarding energy, so they first put the focus on renewables and domestic coals. Once 100% (or 80 or 90%+ is reached, I don't know their specific target), they will start phasing out coal as well going fully renewable in the far future. The steps they have and are taking suggests that this is their strategy. The graph that they are showing (renewable and domestic combined) gives an idea into their thought process and long term strategy. And when combining their actions and their communication to the outside world (the graph), it suggests that this is the strategy that they are going for: increase domesticity first, then go full renewable. At least this is the strategy that I would take if I were in their position.
This is a similar approach and philosphy that we have seen in the military industry: make the final product first, then increase its domestic parts as time goes on.

I am aware that there are 2 solar panel plants that are being built in Nigde, and one in Ankara if I recall correctly. (I don't know the status on whether these are operational now or not, it was a while back that I read about these). The one in Ankara was going to be built after a 1000MW solar power tender, so this plant will be busy in the first instance to provide solar panels to this project. The Nigde plant I am not sure if they have priorities like that. But once these initial priorities are fulfilled it can start to target the average consumer of solar in a more effective manner (domestic production being able to keep up with demand is where I am going with this).

The reason these plants are significant in my opinion is because; I am hoping that the state will put extra subsidies on solar panels and maybe even pass a law that new buildings and existing factories need to put solar panels on their roofs if they have an appropriate roof for it. But I think domestic solar panel production needs to mature first before they can start heavily subsidizing and promoting solar panels (domestic production needs to be able to keep up with domestic demand). Otherwise a pre-mature subsidization will have negative effects on the account deficit which is the opposite of what is desired.

There are subsidazations for solar panels in place, I believe it was that those that make electricity from solar and sell it, don't have to pay taxes over it. But I wish to see more subsidies in place for solar but I think local solar production needs to mature first in order for that to happen.

In denmark, the enegy you generate is used to rewind the counter. So if you use 10k kw a year, and you generate 8k then you end up paying only for 2k. But if you produce 13k you pay nothing, and the extra kw produced goes into the pool.

If you ask me the model from Denmark should be implemented to give incentive to ppl to install pv. So ppl can get used to it too. It takes time.

Same model in Germany, also makes the grid decentralized, which has advantages too. But I agree with Inspector, seems like they are waiting for domestic capabilities before subsidizing PV the same way they did wind.

Yeah, kind of but, it's still better than Natural Gas conversion Plants which relies on imported Natural Gas.
%90 of the energy generated by national means is great improvement a decade ago it was below %50.

In denmark, the enegy you generate is used to rewind the counter. So if you use 10k kw a year, and you generate 8k then you end up paying only for 2k. But if you produce 13k you pay nothing, and the extra kw produced goes into the pool.

If you ask me the model from Denmark should be implemented to give incentive to ppl to install pv. So ppl can get used to it too. It takes time.
Unfortunetly, Turkey is the country of "rant"...if there is to make great amount of money, it will go to big companies which have political connections with the government.

Yeah, kind of but, it's still better than Natural Gas conversion Plants which relies on imported Natural Gas.
%90 of the energy generated by national means is great improvement a decade ago it was below %50.

Unfortunetly, Turkey is the country of "rant"...if there is to make great amount of money, it will go to big companies which have political connections with the government.
The point is that if politicians make a law making it possible for private investors to contribute and potentially end up with zero sum. The market will automatically grow exponentially.

Passing a law thst requires all new constructions to have a roof that has to maximize solar cell power output would force everyone to plant pv. Abd they would have to be durable and decent made.

Last edited:

I worked for many years in the PV solar panel and wind energy industry. and as you said, there is no political environment at all. stop crying now. Everbody earn money when they do their business honestly from every political past unlike before Erdogan's Turkey.

I worked for many years in the PV solar panel and wind energy industry. and as you said, there is no political environment at all. stop crying now. Everbody earn money when they do their business honestly from every political past unlike before Erdogan's Turkey.
I hope you follow davutoglu and pay attention to what he says about the tender processes. He's pretty much talking about how corrupt it is and he was the last pm who tried to make it more fair and decent. Which I believe.

Back
Top Bottom