What's new

‘Remarks on Prophet India’s internal matter…why should we instigate?’: Bangladesh Minister Hasan Mahmud

Leaders with faith values are proud to make a stand against bigotry, whether it goes against friend or foe makes no difference, they speak with their own conviction.

Example

I know you are trying to be nice here but facts are facts.

The military and civilian power structure in Pakistan has no loyalty to Pakistan and is committed to a future in the West or GCC. They have their escape planes already chartered and fully fuelled, so to speak.
I'm not merely trying to play nice to Pakistan. Almost all developing countries have people who are corrupt with questionable loyalty and Pakistan is no different in this regard. At the risk of getting reprimanded for straying off-topic, let me elaborate my position.

Future is always unwritten. Prior to the 2008 economic meltdown, almost every analyst was bullish about world economy. In retrospect, it seems foolish - but this was not conventional wisdom back then. Subsequently, Iceland's economy had a meltdown into a seemingly bottomless pit. But a decade later, the country was back to where it was before https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/icelands-economic-recovery/

Did we expect that COVID or Russo-Ukrainian war will wreck world economy a decade ago? How can we say that something else domestically or internationally not affect South Asian economies one way or the other? I think there is a fair chance of India reaching $5 trillion economy before or by 2030, but this is based on optimistic assumptions that nothing catastrophic will affect the economy. All our rosy long term predictions on where Bangladesh or India's economy will be in a decade from now is based on an implicit optimistic assumption that everything else will be equal. This is not always granted.

So why do I think Pakistan's economic trajectory can recover and course correct? Because most of Pakistan's economic problem is related to BOP crisis. Recent news posted in this forum show that:

a) The current PDM administration has cut all fuel subsidies.
b) Reko Diq mines are set to contribute about $2 billion revenue annually in a few years
c) Gas reserves that were found recently could further contribute $1 to $2 billion annually.

The above may not sound much given the size of Pakistan's economy, but it could just be enough for the country to balance its books. With a little bit of political stability and improvement in credit rating, sustainable growth (that does not result in a BOP crisis) can be achieved within a few years. Future is always unwritten :pop:

I'm not merely trying to play nice to Pakistan. Almost all developing countries have people who are corrupt with questionable loyalty and Pakistan is no different in this regard. At the risk of getting reprimanded for straying off-topic, let me elaborate my position.

Future is always unwritten. Prior to the 2008 economic meltdown, almost every analyst was bullish about world economy. In retrospect, it seems foolish - but this was not conventional wisdom back then. Subsequently, Iceland's economy had a meltdown into a seemingly bottomless pit. But a decade later, the country was back to where it was before https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/icelands-economic-recovery/

Did we expect that COVID or Russo-Ukrainian war will wreck world economy a decade ago? How can we say that something else domestically or internationally not affect South Asian economies one way or the other? I think there is a fair chance of India reaching $5 trillion economy before or by 2030, but this is based on optimistic assumptions that nothing catastrophic will affect the economy. All our rosy long term predictions on where Bangladesh or India's economy will be in a decade from now is based on an implicit optimistic assumption that everything else will be equal. This is not always granted.

So why do I think Pakistan's economic trajectory can recover and course correct? Because most of Pakistan's economic problem is related to BOP crisis. Recent news posted in this forum show that:

b) Reko Diq mines are set to contribute about $2 billion revenue annually in a few years
c) Gas reserves that were found recently could further contribute $1 to $2 billion annually.

The above may not sound much given the size of Pakistan's economy, but it could just be enough for the country to balance its books. With a little bit of political stability and improvement in credit rating, sustainable growth (that does not result in a BOP crisis) can be achieved within a few years. Future is always unwritten :pop:

Wise words. I concur.

Let me also add, that outsiders severely underestimate Pakistan's inner economic strength. Chori of course weakened Pakistan, but they did not sap the collective industrial expertise.

Pakistanis are very capable of supplying a lot of their own industrial needs (even using appropriate technology) - as I have detailed in the past.

Which means their non-reliance to outside imports for basic industrial input needs are almost (but not quite) at a level where India is, and consequently, much more resilient to financial shocks compared to newly industrialized countries like Bangladesh.

Bangladesh is playing to catch up with (and may surpass) Pakistan someday at the rate it is progressing, but Bangladesh is still heavily dependent on outside countries like China and India for basic value-addition Industrial inputs such as lathe and milling machines, shapers etc. and even the number of casting and forging operations which costs significant foreign exchange to initiate and setup from scratch.

Outside Industrial FDI's (while more sophisticated and export-oriented) cannot solve everything basic and ground-level in one go (or even several go's) in Bangladesh. It will take time.

The skills needed to operate these value-addition machinery are also in rather short supply. Both Bangladesh and Pakistan are behind India by say a few decades on heavy engg. industrial process maturity - but Bangladesh is way more behind. This takes time (and investments) to acquire.

I see Bangladesh just busy in one export sector, apparel. Unless someone in Bangladesh sticks their neck out to venture into automotive parts export for example to diversify (just one example), the Bengali herd mentality to jump in will not be initiated. This has already been done in Pakistan several decades ago.

I have advised Bangladesh folks here and industrialists I have personally met - to acquire these industrial value-addition inputs from Pakistan as well, like they do from India. They would be wise to do so.

Last edited:
Man I know you like BD and propagate all over the forum about it to North Korean levels but even there is a sane limit to that. A little corrupt? Lol. Its one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Also he came across as a Indian simp in this one. Regardless of the prophet there is a muslim genocide pending there but obviously the current govt being such a simp and suck up cant utter a word.

Figure of speech dude.

Yes BD is corrupt but no more than comparable countries like Pakistan and India.

What counts is that BD politicians are ultimately loyal to BD and not to foreign masters like in Pakistan.

Thanks for the optimism but I stand by my words.

You have talked about macro indicators, which is the same approach most Pakistani economists take, including Imran Khan's appointees. It is the 'trickle down' approach that fixing the macro will take care of the micro. Look after the rich and the poor will eventually benefit down the line.

That simply does not work in Pakistan. LOL. I sound like @jamahir

Pakistan now has shiny malls and imported good, luxury car dealerships and stratospheric house prices, but all this opulence is funded by corruption. Corruption in the sense that very few people pay income tax. If Pakistan had the same tax rates and collection as developed countries, all these shiny things would disappear. Instead we would have good schools, universities, hospitals, public parks, public transportation, clean air, and a host of things which are nonexistent in Pakistan. KIds in rural areas would not be dying of water poisoning and malnutrition while the upper middle class drives by in imported cars on artificially expensive motorways built with corruption.

You also mentioned Reko Dig, so let me give you three models around the world:

- The Russian model where a handful of billionaire oligarchs control the country's mineral wealth while the general population wonders if they had been better off under the Soviets, with at least some things guaranteed.

- The GCC model where the dictators spend the nation's wealth on shiny new buildings and billion dollar weapons systems. Instead of building universities to train their own people in 21st century technologies, they import workers or export money so other countries can build those universities and train their people.

- The Norway model where the income from mineral wealth goes into a national fund which helps build schools, universities, hospitals and fund retirement and social benefits for the whole country.

What's the difference between these three models? It's the people running the country. Afghanistan has more mineral wealth than Saudi Arabia. LIthium, copper, rare earths, you name it, they've got it in abundance and good quality. Sadly, even if they develop those resource, we know the West and other countries will make sure they follow the Russian or GCC model, not the Norway model.

So, coming back to Pakistan, I do not see any chance of improvement for the masses regardless of global changes or massive resource discoveries. The entrenched corrupt system simply will not go, not least because it is defended by foreign interests that want to make sure Pakistan remains where it is.

Figure of speech dude.

Yes BD is corrupt but no more than comparable countries like Pakistan and India.

What counts is that BD politicians are ultimately loyal to BD and not to foreign masters like in Pakistan.

How are they loyal to BD if they rank lower than PK and India in corruption index? You donot loot your nation if you are loyal to it.

BD politicians are loyal to India from what it seems.

Bangladesh is playing the long game. They will be subservient to the bhartis until their economy is strong. They will then use their new found wealth upon strengthening their military. After this, they will unleash themselves on the bhartis like yajooj majooj.

They’ve been munching on the hilsa because the bones sharpen their teeth. When the Bangladeshis are done with India, the chakra on the bharti flag will be replaced with a red circle.

May Allah swt deliver the hindus from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Bangladeshis..

How are they loyal to BD if they rank lower than PK and India in corruption index? You donot loot your nation if you are loyal to it.

BD politicians are loyal to India from what it seems.

1 or 2 places up or down one list(TI) means nothing dude.

All 3 countries are on similar levels.

BD politicians are corrupt and loyal to the state like S. Korean ones were - does not mean that BD economy will not power ahead and become "middle-income" by 2035.

Then Pakistan will be left as the only 3rd world country in S Asia - even Nepal and Bhutan may be pulled into "middle-income" status as they supply GWs of hydroelectricity each year to power BD industrialisation.

Sorry but BD is on a totally different ball-game here to Pakistan and even India.

If you disagree let's chat in 2035.:coffee:

BD politicians are corrupt and loyal to the state like S. Korean ones were - does not mean that BD economy will not power ahead and become "middle-income" by 2035.

Then Pakistan will be left as the only 3rd world country in S Asia - even Nepal and Bhutan may be pulled into "middle-income" status as they supply GWs of hydroelectricity each year to power BD industrialisation.

Sorry but BD is on a totally different ball-game here to Pakistan and even India.

Yea economically and demographically Bangladesh is set to rise InshAllah.

But come on guys, does it sit right with you that BD didn't take even a symbolic stand against these comments?

India “internal matter”.

No true Muslim would remain silent when blasphemy is committed against our prophet Muhammad (ﷺ)

BD gov is Indian slaves
Our BD Muslim brothers should throw this india loving gov out

Bangladesh is playing the long game. They will be subservient to the bhartis until their economy is strong. They will then use their new found wealth upon strengthening their military. After this, they will unleash themselves on the bhartis like yajooj majooj.

They’ve been munching on the hilsa because the bones sharpen their teeth. When the Bangladeshis are done with India, the chakra on the bharti flag will be replaced with a red circle.

May Allah swt deliver the hindus from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Bangladeshis..

Never seen someone destroying someone with sarcasm like this manner

Cha gaye ho. Sarcasm k badshah ho aap

I can see Supa Puwa 2035 kind of vibes from this post just like those pajeets who used to say India would be supa puwa 2020

Lets see when sh!t hits the fan for you guys. It would. It always does

You would still be insignificant even then and Indians would still call you termites even then

Nothing would change

But they call you even worst thing. What so speacial about Indian dogs barking and frothing from their mouth?

But they call you even worst thing. What so speacial about Indian dogs barking and frothing from their mouth?

But then we don't suck up to them either saying blasphemy is India's internal matter

Back
Top Bottom