What's new

Reinventing the Nation: Made in China 2025

Not leading, the biggest.

But what are the parameters to reach the status of 'leading manufacturer'?

Leading in tech?
Leading in profitability?
Leading in quality and control?
Leading in total dollar gross of manufactured good?
Leading in environmental impact?
Leading in efficiency and productivity?

Perhaps by 2049 China can lead in all of the above parameters. For now there is just leadership in one of the above.

But what are the parameters to reach the status of 'leading manufacturer'?

Leading in tech?
Leading in profitability?
Leading in quality and control?
Leading in total dollar gross of manufactured good?
Leading in environmental impact?
Leading in efficiency and productivity?

Perhaps by 2049 China can lead in all of the above parameters. For now there is just leadership in one of the above.

The parameters are:

1. Tech
2. Reputation (Brand Value)
3. Position in the Value Chain
4. Gross Output of Manufactured Goods
5. Productivity

And yes, you are right that China leads in Gross Output. That is the reason it is strong, not the leading.

For example,

China is strong in automobiles, but doesn't lead the sector, either in terms of tech, performance, brand image, or luxury.

China is the biggest chemical producer, yet severely lacks in core chemical products and companies. It is almost absent in the higher niche and value added chemicals, and relies on foreign tech.

This theme can be seen through out in almost all sectors. No doubt China is making progress, but it is still far from there.

The parameters are:

1. Tech
5. Productivity

And yes, you are right that China leads in Gross Output. That is the reason it is strong, not the leading.

For example,

China is strong in automobiles, but doesn't lead the sector, either in terms of tech, performance, brand image, or luxury.

China is the biggest chemical producer, yet severely lacks in core chemical products and companies. It is almost absent in the higher niche and value added chemicals, and relies on foreign tech.

This theme can be seen through out in almost all sectors. No doubt China is making progress, but it is still far from there.

Hence 2049.

Plenty of time and the central government usually exceeds expectation and forecasts. Time will tell but China is in the right track, albeit a rocky one.

The parameters are:

1. Tech
5. Productivity

For example,

So, who do you think is the leader in manufacturing power?!

did you point to me?
as I know the global buyers claimed the Nike made in Vietnam better than the one made in China. The big orders of Adidas, Nike, Reebok, Puma all the way to Vietnam, not China, recent years.
Buyers in Hongkong is more difficult to find Made in China Nike shoes in stores, but Made in Vietnam
As you know? can give us the trustable resource to support your opinion?

Even it is ture, so you mean the credit on better quality to you? so what about APPLE iphone, who should its good quality be credited to? Apple or Chinese?

First understand what's the industralization, don't show here you are better than Chinese worker, that just will reveal your ignorance to us.

Last edited:

Depends on the sector, but US, Germany, Japan, and Korea are the leading manufacturers.

Hence 2049.

Plenty of time and the central government usually exceeds expectation and forecasts. Time will tell but China is in the right track, albeit a rocky one.

Let's not even talk about 2049.

(It is my sincere belief that it is impossible to either predict, much less plan for 30 years ahead; look at China 30 years back. Could anybody have ever believed that China at the end of cultural revolution broken and beaten up would have been here? Could anyone have ever believed in 1970s, that an ever rising Japan, which seemed almost invincible would come to a stand still?)

Let's first talk about Made in China 2025.

The fact of the matter is that right now, China is losing low end manufacturing faster than it is able to climb up the value chain. It is an ominous fact.

So, right now Xi Jinping is not taking bold reforms. A lot of the plans that I see are vague, and would not have systemic effects.

Depends on the sector, but US, Germany, Japan, and Korea are the leading manufacturers.

Let's not even talk about 2049.

(It is my sincere belief that it is impossible to either predict, much less plan for 30 years ahead; look at China 30 years back. Could anybody have ever believed that China at the end of cultural revolution broken and beaten up would have been here? Could anyone have ever believed in 1970s, that an ever rising Japan, which seemed almost invincible would come to a stand still?)

Let's first talk about Made in China 2025.

The fact of the matter is that right now, China is losing low end manufacturing faster than it is able to climb up the value chain. It is an ominous fact.

So, right now Xi Jinping is not taking bold reforms. A lot of the plans that I see are vague, and would not have systemic effects.

You forgot to include India as a powerhouse among powerhouses of manufacturing

@AndrewJin

You forgot to include India as a powerhouse among powerhouses of manufacturing

@AndrewJin
India is the strongest manufacturing power along with Vietnam in the universe.
Let's make them happy.

As you know? can give us the trustable resource to support your opinion?

Even it is ture, so you mean the credit on better quality to you? so what about APPLE iphone, who should its good quality be credited to? Apple or Chinese?

First understand what's the industralization, don't show here you are better than Chinese worker, that just will reveal your ignorance to us.
Maybe that's why more and more people are ditching Nike and choose our own brands.
Nike and likes are losing significant proportions in Great China market.

Some folks need to understand that Made in China 2025 is China's equivalent of Germany's Industry 4.0. It is an integrated plan to achieve smart, integrated and efficient manufacturing.

Keep in mind that it is a plan drafted by the world's one of the most efficient governments that often delivers better and earlier results.

Just look at the poverty reduction numbers of Millennium Goals by the UN. Take China out, there is very little progress being done by the rest of the developing nations over the past 15 years.

China is the true emblematic of scientific governance.

So I have full confidence that China will deliver Made in China 2025 vision successfully.

upload_2016-5-6_11-28-27.png

upload_2016-5-6_11-27-35.png

Perhaps it is under Power Equipment category.
All the best to you folks :enjoy::china:
What about Nuclear engineering ?

Just look at the poverty reduction numbers of Millennium Goals by the UN. Take China out, there is very little progress being done by the rest of the developing nations over the past 15 years.

China is the true emblematic of scientific governance.

So I have full confidence that China will deliver Made in China 2025 vision successfully.

China is a really big manufacturing power today.
The target is logical.
To be big today : not enough
to be strong in 2025
to be competitive to other strong powers in 2035
to be strongest in 2049

about the poverty reduction, China created the greatest achievement ever, but I wish they could bravery push up their poverty line to much more than 2300 yuan ( 353 USD ) per year ( current poverty line in China ); for example triple that to 6,900 yuan ( more than 1000 USD ) per year.
at first, someone could be shocked to see there're too many poverty ppl ( maybe some hundred millions ) , but after that the govt. could be transparent to the people how the imbalance leverage China is and continue to fight the poverty.
That could lead to bigger success in poverty reduction.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
but I wish they could bravery push up their poverty line to much more than 2300 yuan ( 353 USD ) per year ( current poverty line in China )
thanks for your idea. I personally like it, but I think World Bank should do the adjustment firstly.

Take a read at the article from the given link. I made the core part highlighted.

How should we convert that 5.35 yuan into dollars? The World Bank reports that China’s 2005 per capita GDP of 14,185 yuan was equivalent to $4,965 at purchasing-power parity. In other words, 2.86 yuan in China in 2005 could buy as much as one dollar in America in the same year. At that rate, China’s poverty line is equivalent to $1.87 in 2005 purchasing-power parity dollars, almost 50% higher than the World Bank’s standard.

link to the article:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/10/chinas-economy

But I would suggest we make a pause here. I think there should be better place for discussion on poverty, or cross-country poverty comparison, but should not be at the thread about China's manufacturing sector tech. upgrade.

Q2: What are its key contents?

A2: Based on the State Council document summarizing the plan released last week, "Made in China 2025" has clear principles, goals, tools, and sector focus.

• Its guiding principles are to have manufacturing be innovation-driven, emphasize quality over quantity, achieve green development, optimize the structure of Chinese industry, and nurture human talent.
  • The goal is to comprehensively upgrade Chinese industry, making it more efficient and integrated so that it can occupy the highest parts of global production chains. The plan identifies the goal of raising domestic content of core components and materials to 40% by 2020 and 70% by 2025.
  • Although there is a significant role for the state in providing an overall framework, utilizing financial and fiscal tools, and supporting the creation of manufacturing innovation centers (15 by 2020 and 40 by 2025), the plan also calls for relying on market institutions, strengthening intellectual property rights protection for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and the more effective use of intellectual property (IP) in business strategy, and allowing firms to self-declare their own technology standards and help them better participate in international standards setting.
  • Although the goal is to upgrade industry writ large, the plan highlights 10 priority sectors: 1) New advanced information technology; 2) Automated machine tools & robotics; 3) Aerospace and aeronautical equipment; 4) Maritime equipment and high-tech shipping; 5) Modern rail transport equipment; 6) New-energy vehicles and equipment; 7) Power equipment; 8) Agricultural equipment; 9) New materials; and 10) Biopharma and advanced medical products

Hehe, So you don't know, you don't know who is the leader while talking about comprehensive manufacturing power(Or don't want accept it),

Manufacturer should manufacture the good with low cost, with proper quality, that's the point, technology, skill, managing, labor and other resource all work for it, in fact, what you talk about is not manufacturing power, don't compare APPLE with Foxconn.

Maybe that's why more and more people are ditching Nike and choose our own brands.
For me, the interesting thing is these Vietnamese in the forum feel very good about their country, even these live in western, really like idiot in my eyes. :-)

Last edited:
India is the strongest manufacturing power along with Vietnam in the universe.
Let's make them happy.

Nike is quite expensive with a very high gross margin. Typically their new shoes sell between $250-350 CAD but it cost them $3 to make

Nike is quite expensive with a very high gross margin. Typically their new shoes sell between $250-350 CAD but it cost them $3 to make
They can't pay unskilled workers for $800+ per month now in China, and such low salary in China is usually accompanied with provision of free food and accommodation. It's the best opportunity for Chinese own brands to win back the market share in this biggest market of cloths and shoes, with providing better welfare to unskilled migrant workers.

They can't pay unskilled workers for $800+ per month now in China, and such low salary in China is usually accompanied with provision of free food and accommodation. It's the best opportunity for Chinese own brands to win back the market share in this biggest market of cloths and shoes, with providing better welfare to unskilled migrant workers.
true. Plus I don't believe that shoe making require a lot of R&D . From what I know, it's all about marketing. Chinese shoe makers need to associate their brand with more world re-known athletes.

Back
Top Bottom