What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond redemption

Beyond redemption

The Raymond Davis affair could disengage the US from faster than it had planned for, says N.V.Subramanian.

14 February 2011: The Raymond Davis affair will complicate US efforts to moderate and further democratize Pakistan and to win in Afghanistan. Here's why.

The first major political casualty of the Davis affair is Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who was dropped as foreign minister in the recent cabinet reshuffle. Almost certainly, the US had him removed (just as it ensured an extension for General Ashfaq Kayani).

According to the Pakistani press, Qureshi refused to grant Davis diplomatic immunity. Qureshi is a Punjab politician and was playing politics.

Punjab more than any other province has been on the boil since Davis killed his two armed assailants in a crowded Lahore street. It is no coincidence that the governor of Punjab was murdered for his anti-blasphemy views and his police-guard killer is being venerated there.

Among others, the Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist leader, Hafiz Mohammed Sayeed, based in Punjab, has warned against releasing Davis. After NWFP and FATA, Punjab is probably most anti-American.

Obviously, Qureshi wanted to feed on this hate for his own politics. Anti-India feelings also run highest in Punjab. Qureshi was active here too, deriding Manmohan Singh as powerless and running down the Indo-Pak dialogue.

On the Indian foreign minister's last visit to Pakistan, Qureshi toed the Pakistan military line to misbehave with S.M.Krishna. He hoped to get away by being tough on Davis. But he overplayed his hand.

And yet, Qureshi has done the damage. Whatever happens to his personal political career after this is not relevant to this piece. But Qureshi has essentially sowed the seeds of discord between Punjab and Sind on the Davis issue.

The Pakistan Punjab police have called Davis a cold-blooded murderer. It is not accidental that Punjab is ruled by Nawaz Sharief's brother Shahbaz.The US has opposed Nawaz Sharief and prefers Asif Zardari. This is Nawaz Sharief's revenge.

Knowing that he needed a Punjabi foil to rule, Zardari got a Punjab politician, Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani, as PM. Qureshi got into rivalry with Gilani for his job and went too far. But in the process, Gilani too has been damaged on the Davis affair in Punjab, and more than him, Zardari.

If immediate moves are made to let Davis go, the attacks will commence on Zardari as Sindhi. His attempts to balance Punjabi and Sindhi politics in the government will be upset. This writer does not see how Davis can be released anytime soon, whatever pressure America brings on.

Indeed, the US itself has raised the stakes on Davis by some of its actions. It is understandable that America has suspended all engagement with Pakistan till Davis is released. The pressure of this on Pakistan, which survives on US dole, cannot be minimized. :mrgreen:

According to media reports, the US has also held up all drone attacks on FATA since Davis' arrest. Clearly, the US does not wish to aggravate matters until Davis is brought back. But it shows up US vulnerabilities.

In case Davis does get released, the drone attacks may resume. They will have too. Because short of a ground invasion, the US and NATO forces have no means other than drones to counter the Al-Qaeda and Taliban leadership directing the Afghan war from Pakistani hideouts.

But after the Davis affair, how far bold will the US get in Pakistan? Will it continue with its policy to increment its presence in Pakistan to moderate it or, embracing caution, downsize? If Davis gets off, will Zardari be able to survive the backlash from Punjab, not to speak of the rabidity of fundamentalist and terrorist forces elsewhere in Pakistan?

Probably, all these questions are being tossed about in Islamabad and Washington as Pakistan and the US size up the messy Davis affair. This comes on top of a very bad situation in Afghanistan, where the war is not going to plan, and the US will have to leave the country with unfulfilled objectives.

Presumably, the only certainty is that Davis will have to be released. But his release will raise the tide of anti-Americanism. This could be countered with pressure on India on Kashmir. But this won't come to pass.

This writer thinks that the Davis affair marks a watershed in Pak-US relations. Alongside of cutting its losses in Afghanistan, the US may pitch for reducing its presence in Pakistan, and letting it sink.

The only factor that prevents the US -- and the rest of the world -- from consigning Pakistan to its wretched fate is its growing stockpile of nuclear weapons and fissile material. Sooner or later, a solution has to be found for this.

As of now, Pakistan is beyond redemption.

If you have $200,000 then these guys can help you with that request:
Apply for a Diplomatic Passport - Legal & Confidential Service

Yes, these "facilities" and "facilitators" exist. And in fact they can arrange some kind of "diplomatic" status. Years ago a (big-time) scamster in India hot-footed it out of the country after bilking millions of dollars from the Banks and Govt. financial institutions (in the 60s that was big money). Later he surfaced in Mexico and USA. When the GoI tried to apprehend and extradite him, he presented a "Diplomatic Passport" from Costa Rica. The ploy worked for some time but eventually he got a one-way ticket to an Indian prison

Re: Rahat Fateh Ali freed, says Indian TV

I must say, the fan I am of Pakistan music, & especially of classic singers like NFAK & Rahet Fateh, I feel the Indian authorities did the right thing in detaining him. No one is above the law, & I am perplexed as to how Rahet Fateh even thought he could carry so much money from India. Of course I have no doubt he wasn't doing anything suspicious (he probably earned the money through concerts, working for music agencies etc), but how he thought he could just take that kind of money is astonishing behavior on his part. I don't know how money transfers through banks work between pakistan & india, if it's the same like in every other country, but he would have been much more intelligent if he was doing the legal thing by trying to deposit the money in a bank, wirelessly transferring the money into his bank account in Pakistan. The Indian airport authorities have every right to question & detain him, he isn't above the law & no one else is. We shouldn't be supporting any Pakistani blindly if they're in the wrong, just like Indians shouldn't support any guilty Indian blindly, as well as Americans in the case of Raymond Davis.

Re: Rahat Fateh Ali freed, says Indian TV

I must say, the fan I am of Pakistan music, and especially of classic singers like NFAK and Rahet Fateh, I feel the Indian authorities did the right thing in detaining him. No one is above the law, and I am perplexed as to how Rahet Fateh even thought he could carry so much money from India. Of course I have no doubt he wasn't doing anything suspicious (he probably earned the money through concerts, working for music agencies etc), but how he thought he could just take that kind of money is astonishing behavior on his part. I don't know how money transfers through banks work between pakistan and india, if it's the same like in every other country, but he would have been much more intelligent if he was doing the legal thing by trying to deposit the money in a bank, wirelessly transferring the money into his bank account in Pakistan. The Indian airport authorities have every right to question and detain him, he isn't above the law and no one else is. We shouldn't be supporting any Pakistani blindly if they're in the wrong, just like Indians shouldn't support any guilty Indian blindly, as well as Americans in the case of Raymond Davis.

You have made very well reasoned and reasonable points in your post. Just that it seems to be in the wrong thread.
And to add a little information:
It is crystal clear that the money was a legal income, probably paid out and being transferred in illicit manner. Performers like him earn money through various recordings, celebrity appearances and concerts. He probably did all this to avoid paying income tax in India and possibly in Pakistan. So it is only an economic offense and the people who paid him and facilitated this whole thing will be investigated and the matter taken to a logical and legal conclusion. Rahat will not go to jail if found liable, there will be a penalty and fine imposed. That's all.

Pakistan alos need to investigate the source of the illegal fire arms, illegal license plates/papers. American embassey staff also had fake licence plates before and were caught in Gawdar.

It was a simple case of attempted armed robbery by two documented Pakitani crooks/robbers which went astray when Mr. Davis dared to try to denfend himself.

you have no facts, there are conflicting reports.

if pakistani's are guilty of jumping to conclusions, then so are you, stop with the trolling.

anyway, lets for a minute assume that he has diplomatic immunity - big deal - he has been caught red handed with possessions that imply nefarious activities, and very likely instigating terrorism in pakistan.

solomon and american, great warriors of the internet that they are, have hardly spoken about this.

its for this reason that PERHAPS elements in the pakistani govt are insistent on saying he was NOT a diplomat, because that would make them look complicit???

Every Lahori/Lahorites is requested to be a part of this protest.

Time: Sunday, February 20 · 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Location: Liberty Roundabout Main Boulevard Gulberg Lahore, Pakistan

More Info Its quite eminent that the jailed US Black Ops Agent "Raymond Davis" will be released soon. This corrupt government has taken such dishonored decisions and its about time that the people of Pakistan show what they want.

And also---THIS TERM IS ALSO VERY UN-ISLAMIC-----a muslim is never a proud whomsoever---you can be proud of someone else----but not of yourself---.
Yes you are right mr mastsn khan and I was wrong proudness is a sift only for ALLAH only and not for a human being I agree with that part rest I can debate but will get soo long but for now I will admit I lost this argument

Trust me he will go free please please this army and goby doesn't have the courage to stand against Americans he will be alright in. A months time mark my words or this post

Every Lahorian is requested to be a part of this protest.

Time: Sunday, February 20 · 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Location: Liberty Roundabout Main Boulevard Gulberg Lahore, Pakistan

More Info Its quite eminent that the jailed US Black Ops Agent "Raymond Davis" will be released soon. This corrupt government has taken such dishonored decisions and its about time that the people of Pakistan show what they want.
Khan Sahib, we are called Lahoris, not Lahorian.

800px-Republican_Palace,_Baghdad.jpg

This SUV looked similar.

So how many more Raymond Davis around in Pakistan like this?

blackwater1-300x2001.jpg

This SUV looked similar.

that appears to be a GMC Suburban. I'd be surprised if they were driving around Pakistan in those things. As far as I know, the car that ran over the pedestrian and fled from the scene was a Land Cruiser (Prado?)

Khan Sahib, we called Lahoris, not Lahorian.

Lahorites :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom