What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S., Pakistani officials at diplomatic odds in fatal shooting

By Greg Miller and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, February 10, 2011; A08

U.S. and Pakistani officials Wednesday offered dueling accounts of the events leading up to the arrest of an American who fatally shot two men in Lahore last month and whose continued detention is at the center of an increasingly tense diplomatic standoff between the two countries.

A Pakistani official, referring to what he said were the preliminary findings of his government's investigation of the incident, said Raymond Allen Davis fired five shots at the Pakistani men from his vehicle and then got out to shoot two more at each of them as they lay on the ground in a busy intersection during midday traffic.

A U.S. official disputed the account, saying that Davis fired five shots from the Glock handgun he was carrying, all of them from within his car at what both sides agree were probably would-be robbers.

As often-conflicting details continued to emerge about what happened on the afternoon of Jan. 27, neither side budged on the core dispute between them - whether Davis, a former U.S. Special Operations sergeant who carried a U.S. diplomatic passport - is immune from prosecution by a Pakistani court.

The United States has demanded Davis's immediate release under international treaties guaranteeing immunity for diplomats. In retaliation for his continued detention, it has suspended high-level diplomatic contacts with Pakistan and warned that a planned exchange of visits this year by President Obama and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari are at risk, according to officials from both countries who spoke on the condition of anonymity about the sensitive matter.

Pakistan has refused to release Davis, indicating that he faces possible murder charges at a time when the government in Islamabad is encountering mounting public pressure to show that it is not being manipulated by Washington. The government has said that his status and the disposition of the case are matters for the courts there.

The Pakistani official warned against aggressive U.S. pressure against the weak civilian government there, saying that the issue could "spin out of control," and the administration should provide time for tempers to cool.

"No one individual in Pakistan, no one organization, can afford to take an unpopular decision at this time," he said.

But another Pakistani official said that the longer the government allows the situation to continue, the weaker it appears in the face of public pressure.

In court proceedings, Davis has admitted to the shooting but said it was done in self-defense. Davis told the court that he fired on the Pakistani men after they approached him on motorcycles brandishing weapons in what he thought was an attempted robbery.

The incident has inflamed anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, where many think that their government has been too deferential to the United States in taking part in counterterrorism operations and allowing CIA drone strikes in Pakistan's tribal belt.

The Pakistani official said his government was also angry that no U.S. official has apologized for a third, apparently inadvertent, death in the incident, that of a Pakistani cyclist run down by a car from the U.S. consulate in Lahore that unsuccessfully tried to reach Davis at the scene of the shooting before his arrest.

U.S. officials have offered incomplete and often confusing accounts of the events surrounding the shooting, Davis's identity and his assignment in Pakistan.

The State Department said Monday that Davis was a member of the "technical and administrative staff" at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad and that he had been temporarily assigned to the consulate in Lahore.

Senior State Department officials have said that Davis was not supposed to carry a weapon in Pakistan, while other U.S. officials said that he was a security contractor and did have permission to carry the weapon.

According to a Pakistani police report that has been provided to U.S. officials, items recovered in Davis's car included a portable telescope, a wallet, U.S. dollars and Pakistani rupees, a digital camera, computer memory cards, a passport, a cellphone and numerous items that appeared to come from a first-aid kit, including bandages, a "cutter" and a flashlight.

Pakistani media have also reported, and U.S. officials do not dispute, that Davis also carried multiple ATM and military ID cards and what was described as a facial disguise or makeup. The Pakistani official said Davis also carried identification cards from the U.S. consulates in Lahore and Peshawar but not from the embassy in Islamabad.

Pakistani television aired a video Wednesday that appears to show Davis being questioned by authorities after he was taken into custody. Davis identifies himself as an American and repeatedly pleads with his interrogators to help him locate a passport that he says went missing shortly after he showed it to police at the crime scene.

He identifies himself as an employee at the consulate in Lahore, saying, "I just work as a consultant there."

U.S. officials did not dispute the authenticity of the video.

The shooting, as well as ambiguous answers from U.S. officials about whether Davis was part of the CIA, have fanned speculation that the incident was not a botched robbery but a deadly confrontation between spies. A Pakistani intelligence official told The Washington Post that the motorcyclists were intelligence agents; a spokesman for Pakistan's main intelligence agency denied that Tuesday.

U.S. and Pakistani officials agreed that the police report, written in Urdu, indicates that the two Pakistanis who were killed had robbed two individuals earlier in the day and taken their cellphones, which were found in their possession at the crime scene. These robbery victims came forward independently after seeing television coverage of the crime, saying they recognized the two Pakistanis who were shot by the U.S. official.

The report indicates that at least one of the motorcycle men cocked a weapon and aimed it at Davis while he was stopped at a traffic signal, but that neither of the Pakistani men fired. "One cocked a pistol and pointed it at him," a U.S. official said.

The two slain Pakistanis were found in possession of five cellular phones, a Rolex-style watch and four different types of currency, the report indicates.

U.S. Army records indicate that Davis, a native of Virginia, spent a decade in the military before being discharged in 2003. He is identified as a special operations weapons sergeant whose last assignment was with the 3rd Special Forces Group based at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Davis also served in infantry units, as well as part of a United Nations peacekeeping force in Macedonia in 1994. Public records indicate that after his military career, Davis served as an officer of a private security firm known as Hyperion Protective Services, based in Nevada.

millergreg@washpost.com deyoungk@washpost.com

Correspondent Karin Brulliard in Islamabad and staff researcher Julie Tate in Washington contributed to this report.

Nothing is at stake... It would be a good thing that the country gets rid of the crutches and shackles that America has kept it in using its puppets in the Government and the Army... The sooner we become assertive the better... We have seen what has become of Pakistan under fake leadership of people like Busharaf/Benazir/Nawaz/Zia and currently Zardari... The hell with American aid... We can stand on our own feet... The only people who oppose this are those on the payroll of America for this very purpose or those who know nothing of the world and are sumon bukomon umyon type people blinded and dumbed by the fake glitter that the west projects towards the Muslim world...

BTW the drone point was a good one... We hang RD and America tries to get smart and we stop NATO supplies and send PAF after any drone entering Pakistan after that... America would be run by total fools if they openly aggressed against Pakistan... even today they are doing their dirty stuff in the guise of WOT and not openly challenging Pakistan... so far they are acting with cunning... but let them turn into fools if they want to... We are resilient people... if we can survive a disaster called Zardari as President... we can basically survive pretty much anything!!!

You Indians dont need to teach us how to run our affairs... Lay off

What Indians had taught you and what advice Pakistan has followed yet? Obviously you are doing your own acts by your own mind and getting results of your own act.

Nothing is at stake... It would be a good thing that the country gets rid of the crutches and shackles that America has kept it in using its puppets in the Government and the Army... The sooner we become assertive the better... We have seen what has become of Pakistan under fake leadership of people like Busharaf/Benazir/Nawaz/Zia and currently Zardari... The hell with American aid... We can stand on our own feet... The only people who oppose this are those on the payroll of America for this very purpose or those who know nothing of the world and are sumon bukomon umyon type people blinded and dumbed by the fake glitter that the west projects towards the Muslim world...

BTW the drone point was a good one... We hang RD and America tries to get smart and we stop NATO supplies and send PAF after any drone entering Pakistan after that... America would be run by total fools if they openly aggressed against Pakistan... even today they are doing their dirty stuff in the guise of WOT and not openly challenging Pakistan... so far they are acting with cunning... but let them turn into fools if they want to... We are resilient people... if we can survive a disaster called Zardari as President... we can basically survive pretty much anything!!!

Well said!

Change the above slightly to make it more meaningful for you:

You Zardari Bhutto dont need to teach us how to run our affairs... Lay off

Ultimately it would be his word - not yours nor mine!

Comprende amigo??

Change the above slightly to make it more meaningful for you:

You Zardari Bhutto dont need to teach us how to run our affairs... Lay off

Ultimately it would be his word - not yours nor mine!

Comprende amigo??

Not really... If you understand that its up to Zardari then spare yourself the trouble to tell us whats best for us...

OK! Our people want change. One should ask them that what have they planned for 'setting a stage' for the change they demand?

A large portion of population is illiterate. This portion has no proper sense of right and wrong and can be easily manipulated. This portion continues to vote corrupt people. And then we have parhe likhe jahil too. Problem is that our nation is filled with emotional fools and does little planning to address issues plaguing it.

We have developed a 'false sense of security and hope' in our minds. What we could not become; we like to boast about such capabilities with words. We are in a state of denial.

The most important thing for us is to educate the masses and destroy vadera-ism. Who will want this to happen? A visionary leader. So how will such a person come to power? Any strategy?

We want change and justice, right? How?

WE are responsible for what is happening to us today: Drone Attacks, guys like Davis roaming in Pakistan, leaders like Zardari & Co, wide spread corruption, TTP, bullying of America etc...

Despite of our extreme level of pathetic-ness, you expect outsiders to respect our customs and not meddle in our affairs?

LeGend my dear... the first step to bring a change is to convey thought thru speech... this is what our brothers and sisters doing now...

Remember even God chose the means of speech to generate thought and change mankind... just look at the Quran

iPhone,

Thanks for the response----so far the only victim was the one run over by the car---the other two---not victims yet---. And you are right---my first thought would be revenge---I don't deny it---. But then what after that---.
Revenge? who said anything about revenge? what about justice?

What I want to say is that the moment Davis was taken into custody---there should have been a blanket put on any news leakage---and every thing should have been hushed up---.
you do know it was the public on the scene that stopped RD, that turned him over to the police. With hundred of phone cameras out, filming and taking pictures, any attempt at blanketing the news by the govt would've lead to more protests and riots. Would that suit you?

My boy---I apologize---I keep forgetting that I am talking to my countrymen who have harldy been out of the country---and even if they do---they have no exposure of the outside.
Please, enough, enough of your condescending tone. You have no idea about me, my age and what I do. I'm not some boy full of idealism and national bravado. I'm quiet a realist. However, you have been very out of touch of reality in you posts and clearly don't realize what you are saying. Just like above when you asked for a cover up on the news.

Or when you mentioned the Indian chemical plant. Two entirely different incidents. How can they hang the chairman of that company where workers died of an explosion. The chairperson didn't cause the explosion. Accidents of sort happen in such places, perhaps through a company's negligence, but the cover-up in that case would be of such purportions, it'd be almost impossible to convict anyone. Like the BP oil leak in the gulf. Billions of dollars of damage plus loss to human life but not convictions. But here we have an accused who has admitted to a double homicide but seeks a diplomatic immunity.

Your comment about swallowing pride and having the U.S. in the corner to get cash benefits speaks volume about you.

You also mentioned that pride is for fools and can't be eaten. I disagree once again. I'm of a belief that a man is nothing without his dignity, self respect and pride but an empty hollow shell of a being.

Kind of like how our country has been for quiet sometime because decisions were made by wise men like yourself to put behind integrity and pride and think of survival and what can be gained cash and credit wise, and what results of that? a nation which is an object of ridicule around the world.

And last but not least Mr. Mastaan Khan, you judged my character, so I will judge yours in return. I think at one point in your life you compromised your beliefs and your integrity for a comfortable life, but something is amiss now, right? therefore you want other people to follow in your footsteps. How does it feel when you look in the mirror?

If the picture of the fort is of its entrance and its not much old, then it can give a pretty good idea of the security arrangements and planning to tackle such security setup can be done.

Well if the last line is sarcasm, then a good one, if not, then i will take it as sarcasm. :)

What do you think :azn:

The fact remains.. this is becoming even more twisted as we speak..

What would US gain from Davis' hidden spy camera on Pakistan Army’s bunkers on the Eastern border with India?? what's going? Seriously, this Davis should be trial in ISI interrogation !

@mastaan khan, sorry to say but some of your views are very unrealistic......talking about west and people not going abroad......who said west mediacovers up the story...do you want me to start posting newspaper cuttings here .....however I agree with rest. Of the comments

Comedy of Error's:

What a wonderful way to treat a suspect in such a serious case...

They ask his name for the FIR and he says Raymond Davis, one guy remarks... Raymond Diamond... He rebuke's, no Raymond Davis ( the guy repeats in urdu... Diamond he kar do... " lets just go with Diamond".

Then he ask's for a bottle of water, and the officer mocks him... "Nestle, bottled Water? Pure Water?Nestle Walla?.... He then goes on to say "no money, no water"... Whilst someone in the background scoffs and remarks sarcastically, give him a drink he just killed two people.

Then they continue to laugh at his predicament.

Conclusion: Now the case is finished. As for the photo's, the bag, the gear, weapon and ammo. Sorry but i don't buy any of this BS anymore.

Just let him go, you have embarrassed yourselves enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really... If you understand that its up to Zardari then spare yourself the trouble to tell us whats best for us...

This is a open democratic forum for any citizen who abides by PDF´s forum guidelines..

The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice.

End of the story!

Nothing is at stake... It would be a good thing that the country gets rid of the crutches and shackles...The hell with American aid...
You have previously admitted that you have little use for and are not fond of the idea of the State of Pakistan. Why, then, should we believe that you are trying to strengthen the country rather than weaken it?

So this guy has been taking photos of military installations as well as military bunkers in the east. Obviously US is up to something in Pakistan. Makes me believe what I've heard before even more - US is pressuring Pakistan to not talk about foreign hand in terrorism in Pakistan for its own interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom