What's new

Rather than buying more Arjun tanks, IA to spend billions on T-72

Al khalid and chinese tanks have so many differences Al khalid uses ukranian engine but chinese uses chinese engine use your mind before you post

i dont know whats the fuss in all this?? t72 aint a bad tank and if upgarding it make it in power like the t90 or the arjun.its not bad option .. remember guys the spped at which we are going its better to get 1000 tanks in a couple of years than wait for decades to get the same amount of t90 or arjun...

i dont know whats the fuss in all this?? t72 aint a bad tank and if upgarding it make it in power like the t90 or the arjun.its not bad option .. remember guys the spped at which we are going its better to get 1000 tanks in a couple of years than wait for decades to get the same amount of t90 or arjun...

Sure!:rofl:

these are excuses the fact is the arjun is too heavy it cant be used in desert areas and even indian army was unhappy with this if it is not failed why still arjun not fully inducted in the army even you army officially said the tank is not upto the mark and want to make newer version of the of the tank sir our tank is 10 year old al khalid and still best in asia and now pakistan looking to make new tank

What are you smoking:argh::pakistan::hitwall: read the above highlited parts of ur poster
do you know that Arjun's ground pressure is less then that of T-90??that means it can operate in a much better way on sand.....
Arjun not fully inducted:lol: Heard of 43rd ARMOURED REGIMENT...how many Al khalids have been inducted only 220 u call that induction..and there are 248 + Arjun's on order ...read the other previous posters u call that a bluff:lol::disagree:
other variants are coming because the old platform has to optimised for the future and today its a success..like the merkava series,the leopard series...but then u will not understand this as digesting this will devoid you from the pleasure of calling Arjun a failure:pakistan::disagree:
having a new engine o type 2000 or so called al-khalid wont make it a super tank...you said its the best tank in Asia
i say proove it...how many such comparitive trials were carried out by PA to see which tank is better or for that matter anywhere around the world..arjun was tested and pitted against the T-90 so that prople like can get some brains drilled in...many got it wondering when will you

Well my dear friend t-72 is a very old design..no amount of upgradation will make it stand near the Arjun..THE UPGRADATION of these tanks have been taken for a reason...our assembly line and manufacturing lines are already busy with churning out ARJUNS & T-90'S...the already exisisting fleet of tanks can be easily be upgarded compared to making new one's...our tip of arrow will be the T-90 & ARJUN'S WHICH are in sufficient numbers...T-72 are the secong line of tanks

Well my dear friend t-72 is a very old design..no amount of upgradation will make it stand near the Arjun..THE UPGRADATION of these tanks have been taken for a reason...our assembly line and manufacturing lines are already busy with churning out ARJUNS & T-90'S...the already exisisting fleet of tanks can be easily be upgarded compared to making new one's...our tip of arrow will be the T-90 & ARJUN'S WHICH are in sufficient numbers...T-72 are the secong line of tanks

I like ur enthusiasm, but I sure it is not better than T90 100%. I agree it is a good tank. Ajay Sukhla is not writing columns without a reason, I know the reason.

I like ur enthusiasm, but I sure it is not better than T90 100%. I agree it is a good tank. Ajay Sukhla is not writing columns without a reason, I know the reason.

ajay shukla who is an ex tanker himself was intially a great critic of the whole Arjun project..but look at the transition now..he is a stern supporter of the arjun tank now..why???? beacuse he saw wht this machine is capable of doing and what it did to the new russian workhorse that is the T-90...the T-72's were initially to be pitted against the arjun bt then the indian army knew that it will stand no chance...so at the later stage the t-90 ws introduced and the rest is history afterwards....mk2 as a prototype will be rolling out in 2012..and then you will se what we are talking..arjun mk1 is already an overkill over anything our enemies can offer...:cheers:

ajay shukla who is an ex tanker himself was intially a great critic of the whole Arjun project..but look at the transition now..he is a stern supporter of the arjun tank now..why???? beacuse he saw wht this machine is capable of doing and what it did to the new russian workhorse that is the T-90...the T-72's were initially to be pitted against the arjun bt then the indian army knew that it will stand no chance...so at the later stage the t-90 ws introduced and the rest is history afterwards....mk2 as a prototype will be rolling out in 2012..and then you will se what we are talking..arjun mk1 is already an overkill over anything our enemies can offer...:cheers:

Money can change things is all I can say.

I think if we are spending around 6-8K for up-grading which work only for 10-15yr why not superior Tank will be replace by like Arjun which is worth and work for next 20-30yr. We are working on FMBT which may complete(But make late is our tendency) in next 10 yr but if it is not completed then what will we do. we dnt have choice to do or buy Foreign??

buying T-72 is a good diplomatic decision.
Arjun is a bloody good Tank so about its deployment its proper number of induction with army will not be told openly.

This is confusing. Why would the Arjun not be mass produced to replace aging equipment. Why go back to the T-72 and try to upgrade that when you can just retire and replace them with more Arjun tanks ?

I think there is a lot of confusion of what is the real story behind the Arjun and T-72 comparason. It might be because of corruption. It also might be that Arjun do not serve whatever Indian army needs. But whatever it is, the Arjun project is a failure and a big waste of money. I'm not saying that Arjun tank itself is a failure. But even if its a great tank and can out perform T-90 or even the latest Abram tank, the fact that India army shun it demonstrates that the "project" itself is a failure. Can anyone imagine Russians buy only a few hundred T-90s or US buy only a few hundred Abram tanks....

First Arjun has no export potential secondly its not ready on time and thirdly the so called indegenious project ended up with 90% badly integrated forigen components. IA is sensible to get the whole package of battle proven tanks from abroad.

First Arjun has no export potential secondly its not ready on time and thirdly the so called indegenious project ended up with 90% badly integrated forigen components. IA is sensible to get the whole package of battle proven tanks from abroad.

In todays world, Making everything and Putting it together has No Business value..... If it were why would MNC's Look abroad for Marketing and Making parts of there products???

I think there is a lot of confusion of what is the real story behind the Arjun and T-72 comparason. It might be because of corruption. It also might be that Arjun do not serve whatever Indian army needs. But whatever it is, the Arjun project is a failure and a big waste of money. I'm not saying that Arjun tank itself is a failure. But even if its a great tank and can out perform T-90 or even the latest Abram tank, the fact that India army shun it demonstrates that the "project" itself is a failure. Can anyone imagine Russians buy only a few hundred T-90s or US buy only a few hundred Abram tanks....

Firstly,

There have beein over 250 Orders for Arjun, so Neither its aFailure NOR does ur presumption that "IA Not Interested" in Arjun hold a ground.

Secondly,

The ONE and ONLY Logic that may help u to call Arjun a Failure is the "Number of Units" that have been ordered.

But ... Calm down even The "Successful " Al Khalid has been only Produced 220 in No !!

So That too doesnt Hold here... you cant go by Numbers.

Thirdly,
Are u aware of thr Critical Technologies that need to be developed for a Tank ? Even with Imported Parts if it was so easy.. Many nations would have their own MBTs.

So Arjun Success Has resulted to a Superb Confidance in DRDO That has translated to....

DRDO to develop army's next-generation tank
Ajai Shukla / New Delhi August 10, 2010, 0:31 IST
With most of our armour unfit to fight at night, the project is crucial.

In March this year, during trials in the Rajasthan desert, the Defence R&D Organisation’s Arjun tank conclusively outperformed the Russian T-90, the army’s showpiece. Buoyed by that success and by the army’s consequent order for 124 additional Arjuns, the DRDO is now readying to develop India’s next-generation tank, currently termed the Future Main Battle Tank (FMBT).

While Costs are still being evaluated, the projections are mind-boggling. The development cost alone could be Rs 5,000 crore. Then, the replacement cost of the Indian Army’s 4,000 tanks — at a conservative Rs 25 crore per FMBT — adds to Rs 1,00,000 crore. The bulk of this would flow, over years of production, to Tier-I and Tier-II suppliers from small and medium industries.

For the first time, the DRDO has outlined the FMBT project’s contours. Talking exclusively to Business Standard, DRDO chief and Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, V K Saraswat, revealed, “While the Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) has been handed over to private industry, the DRDO will develop the FMBT. We need about seven-eight years from the time the project is formally sanctioned. The army and the DRDO have already identified the major features of the FMBT, which are quite different from the Arjun. While the Arjun is a 60-tonne tank, the FMBT will be lighter… about 50 tonnes. It will be a highly mobile tank.”

Vital project
The FMBT project, says the military, is crucial for India’s future battle readiness. As army chief, General Deepak Kapoor pronounced 80 per cent of India’s tank fleet unfit to fight at night, which is when most tank battles take place. The bulk of our fleet, some 2,400 obsolescent Russian T-72s, are being shoddily patched up (see Business Standard, Feb 3, ‘Army to spend billions on outdated T-72 tanks’). More modern T-90 tanks were procured from Russia in 2001, shorn of crucial systems to reduce prices, after parliamentary dissent threatened to derail the contract (Business Standard, Feb 4, ‘Piercing the army’s armour of deception’). Only now, after nine years of stonewalling, has Russia transferred the technology needed to build the T-90 in India.

Urgently in need of capable tanks, the army has worked with DRDO to finalise a broad range of capabilities for the FMBT. These have been formalised in a document called the Preliminary Specifications Qualitative Requirement (PSQR). The detailed specifications of the FMBT, once finalised, will be listed in General Staff Qualitative Requirements (GSQR).

Amongst the capabilities being finalised for the GSQR are: active armour, which will shoot down enemy anti-tank projectiles before they strike the FMBT; extreme mobility, which makes the FMBT much harder to hit; the capability to operate in a nuclear-contaminated battlefield without exposing the crew to radiation; and the networked flow of information to the FMBT, providing full situational awareness to the crew, even when “buttoned down” inside the tank.

Also being finalised is the FMBT armament, a key attribute that determines a tank’s battlefield influence. The Arjun already has a heavy 120mm ‘main gun’, and two small-calibre machine guns; the recently ordered batch of 124 Arjuns will also fire anti-tank missiles through their main gun. The army wants all of those for the FMBT, with ranges enhanced through technological improvements.

However, the DRDO chief ruled out an electromagnetic gun, the next generation in high-velocity guns towards which armament technology aspires. “The Future MBT is not so far in the future,” Saraswat quipped.

FICV, too
With the FMBT project squarely on its agenda, the DRDO also envisages a major role in developing the FICV. Says the DRDO chief, “The FICV is not just a conventional armoured vehicle for transporting soldiers. It involves advanced technologies and multidisciplinary integration, which private industry has never done. Only the DRDO and the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) have that experience. DRDO teams are already thinking about the technologies that should go into the FICV. But this is only to support private industry in making the FICV project a success.”

While private industry weighs its options about where to manufacture the FICV, the DRDO has already chosen the Heavy Vehicle Factory (HVF) in Avadi —- the OFB facility that builds the Arjun —- as the FMBT production line.

“It will definitely be produced in HVF. I see no way that we can go away from HVF,” says Saraswat. “The HVF will work with us from the preliminary design of the FMBT, so that we can go from prototype to mass production without any hiccups.”

I believe India should focus on importing tanks instead of wasting money developing something that is over its head. Arjun is a great example. Tejas fighter is another example. Why spend so much money on foreign military mainline hardware such as tanks and fighter if India can produce something that its military would want? And why spend so much money produce something if the military won't make a commitment to purchase. In another word, Indian politicians should ensure that whatever India research establishment developed is exactly what the defence establishment required. And the defence department must induct these items in large quantity and be the majority of the defence hardware. For example, India should have buy 1000 Arjun and only 200 T-90 if everything was working normally. Otherwise, India should not waste money develop the next arjun if its military is not sure if it will make the next arjun as its main battle tank.

Back
Top Bottom