What's new

Rate The Leadership of Manmohan Singh

How do you rate Manmohan Singh's PM tenure on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I liked him taking stand on Nuclear deal but apart from that he did nothing of importance
Spot on. Even I supported him at the time... thought Left & BJP were well out of order to bring no-confidence motion. Was really glad that SP saved his govt by hook or crook! But wow.. what a transformation in UPA2.. Stallin to Mr Bean within just a short period of time!

@arp2041

First term 7-8, he secured the US-India nuke deal that many people thought was improbable, he took decisive leadership on this front, steered India through some difficult times as the global economy was collapsing and actually garnered a LOT of respect from the international community coming from an economic background during the finical crisis, during this time he represented India incredibly well.

However I don't know what happened in the second term, he seems to have taken a step back from the limelight and allowed too many issues to crop up- inflation, corruption, low economic growth and such and whilst he can't be blamed for all of this alone BUT his seeming reluctance to properly engage with the Indian people and show clear leadership is really a massive failing on his part. For the last 2 years India has been in a pretty poor situation and has seemed pretty rudderless.

Having said all this, I can't help but like the MAN. He has always presented himself in a very dignified manner, he is by all the accounts I read an incredibly hard working man even at the age of 80- I remember after he had serious heart surgery a few years ago he was insistent on returning to work and did so a mere 2 weeks after major surgery. He apparently works very hard on a daily basis and has to be commended on some fronts, in the past 6 or so months a committee he had formed has cleared a lot of mega infra projects that had been stalled for years. He is also an entirely honest and honourable man who is above the slime that is Indian politics and even his biggest political opponents would concede he is clean and honest. Additionally he has a wise head, after 26/11 there was extreme pressure for a military response but MMS was able to keep this emotive response at bay and let calmer heads prevail which he is universally praised for in the international community. I think though he was never quite made for leadership, he is and always has been an entirely extraordinary economist/technocrat, he is no politician and this is very apparent. He was brought in by Sonia Gandhi because she felt he appealed to the Middle class of India and was someone she could control and this has turned out to be the case.

He will never be the fumbling ignorant fool responsible for all of India's woes some quarters will have you believe neither will he be India's most accomplished PM, the truth will lay somewhere in between. Could he have done more? Probably, but we may never know where the line Sonia Gandhi imposed on him was and what true power he actually had.

So overall I'd give him a 5/6 probably.

A decent man but not quite up to being a PM of a country like India, Norway/Sweden perhaps but not India.

No doubt what Dr MMS's example can show us is that India needs a decisive LEADER, let's hope such a person is in the PMO soon enough....

Roger that..!

The second tenure of UPA was used by Sonia to take steps for Rahul to make him the future Prime Minister, giving him more power, and make things like getting done by Rahul. MMS, being a silent, dignified person, let Sonia, dictate things.
I really Admire MMS have represented India all over the world.
To be really honest, I would like a person combined with MMS economic talent and honesty , and Modi's decisiveness to rule a country like India.

Last edited:
The best lines to compare Modi and MMS

क्षमा शोभती उस भुजंग को
जिसके पास गरल है
उसका क्या जो दंतहीन
विषरहित विनीत सरल है

I think MMS did a fairly good job in last decade or so.

Look at how much Growth he accomplished in GDP during his tenure.

He is a good and respectable man and that is his downfall. To survive and flourish in the Indian jungle of politics, the crude, crass and blatantly nasty sort is required.

The Heavens laugh at the irony of a man as dignified as MMS being inept because of his virtues.

Anyone here follows the 'Game of thrones' series? Ned Stark is pretty much the only truly good man and for that he dies really early in the series.

Such an apt reference.

MMS was a intelligent person, when provided with real powers would have changed dramatically, and slowly. He was better economist, though he didnt prefer anything militaristic.
He is and will be held in high regard by all leaders all over the world, and was responsible for giving India a good name.
But now, all good names earned are now lost. By the same MMS. :(
I really wish he had real powers. His soft powers and diplomacy will be tough to replace .
India, now needs strong leadership after 5 years of Mismanagement, and Modi is the way.

A major part of his name loss started with DMK.

Last edited:
The best lines to compare Modi and MMS

क्षमा शोभती उस भुजंग को
जिसके पास गरल है
उसका क्या जो दंतहीन
विषरहित विनीत सरल है

@Roybot @chak de INDIA can you translate the meaning of this heavily loaded Hindi poem. o_Oo_O

@Roybot @chak de INDIA can you translate the meaning of this heavily loaded Hindi poem. o_Oo_O
Yaar not asking the person who actually quoted the poem for translation? Very bad

Forgiveness is becoming of
The serpent that's got venom
None cares for the toothless,
Poisonless, kind, gentle one

"Garal" means venom

I quoted the poem in the context that you have to be strong to be respected. Modi is strong so he will be respected as compared to Man Mohan Singh

Yaar not asking the person who actually quoted the poem for translation? Very bad

Forgiveness is becoming of
The serpent that's got venom
None cares for the toothless,
Poisonless, kind, gentle one

"Garal" means venom

I quoted the poem in the context that you have to be strong to be respected. Modi is strong so he will be respected as compared to Man Mohan Singh

I got all of it, only I am hearing the word Garal for the first time.

What is the procedure to rate something that doesn't exist?

Edit: I got the solution, will use imaginary number, my rating is i10

Last edited:
Such an apt reference.

A major part of his name loss started with DMK.

You cant really blame MMS. He didnt want Raja in the first place. He was ready even for Dyanidhi Maran, who was dyanamic. But through Sonia, DMK arm twisted him. I believe PM should be given power to chose his persons, from his allies, if they demand a particular ministry.

You cant really blame MMS. He didnt want Raja in the first place. He was ready even for Dyanidhi Maran, who was dyanamic. But through Sonia, DMK arm twisted him. I believe PM should be given power to chose his persons, from his allies, if they demand a particular ministry.

I see what you mean by preferring Jaya over DMK.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom