What's new

Rapping for freedom and the end of communism in Vietnam

Offtopic.
Recently was released an interesting film about the actions of Soviet spies (GRU) in Vietnam.
"The Soldier - Unter falscher Flagge" 2014.

I'm shock at the lack of critical thinking skills in this thread. Sometime I'm not sure whether people are just trolling or they actually seriously lack intelligence.

For the Indonesians and Thai members who are trying to egg on Viet Nam for getting closer to the US, you do realize that the US has a much much closer relationship with Indonesia and Thailand?? lol. Although I will admit that US-Thai relationship is getting cold. But for the Indonesian members, don't you see the irony?

As for the comments about the Vietnamese people allowing/welcoming the US to start a color revolution and topple the VCP, you do realize that it is the VCP who are welcoming the US? Anywhere from the most powerful figure (PM), to the VCP figurehead (Secretary General) have or will be visiting the US. So how could you spin it as some third party people inviting the US to topple the VCP when it is actually the VCP who are welcoming the US? lol. Where's your critical thinking skills' at?

For the Chinese members in this thread who are making fun of Viet Nam for warming up to the US. You are also lacking critical thinking skills because you don't realize you are a kettle calling the pot black. Only one picture is needed to explain this:

Deng-Xiaoping_1_1.jpg

If you guys troll, at least use some critical thinking skills first.

True talk, dont rally mind some Chinese members on here, they are fantasizing about seeing a 'colour revolution' in Vietnam(more like the country fall in chaos) because Vietnam doesnt toe china's line per se. Eevn though some of them here try to frame it as if they are worried for Vietnam's sake. LMAO....:rofl: Anybody with brain can see through their game though.loool

Yes its the VCP who is inviting the U.S to get involve in Vietnam,, not some third party secret foreign group or whatever they might ike us to think. Eventhough the VCP is seeking a rapproachment with the U.S(which i think is a good thing for Vietnam, in fact Vietnam should have done this longggg ago) its still the best China could ask for, since the VCP is still a lesser evil compared to if Vietnam was actually a democracy(the people resent China alot)/ruled by another party. So no matter what happens China still prefers to have a VCP in power than the alternative to be honest. They know any other altrnative will be even more worse for them. Reason they are reacting the way they are, as if they ever cared for Vietnams wellbeing/prosperity.:lol:

Ukraine, part II
Huh...let me get this staright, You as a Russian are with the Chinese or with your long loyal servant Vietnam?:bounce: Because Russia's role has been significant, even though it has so far successfully avoided getting involved with the Ch-VN dispute. Remember you are both their ideological BIG DADDY/GODFATHER afterall.

To be honest, the U.S didnt send in ground troops all the way in the north/launch full scale land invasion simply because they didnt want to draw a Chinese(and soviet) direct intervention like in Korea. Just like General Westmoreland’s former G-2, or Intelligence Officer would write after the Vietnam Wars i quote:

“With a friendly China located adjacent to North Vietnam, there would have been little chance for a Vietnamese victory against the French, and later against the Americans and South Vietnamese.”

So we have to rcognise facts. VCP is in power because of its commie buddies U.S.S.R and China back then. This made vietnam pay a very heavy price both materially and from isolation/sanctions.
1st :As I said many times already: They never win the war no matter they sent in ground troops or not .

2nd : What I wanna said is that some idiots from the nations that can be wiped out in just 2 hours should stop stop talking nonsense abt VN. If US wanna destroy countries like Syria or Indones, they just need 2 hours to do it instead of wasting money for 'color revolt':pop:

This whole thing about having a democracy makes people "free" is just hilarious. Democracy is a system where the legitimacy of power stems from the popularity of the leader and it's not universal, never will be. Actually, one man, one vote system is disastrous for a developing country because some rights have to be violated or some sacrifices have to be made for the collective benefit of the country. And if a system is open for everyone (as CCP), unlike monarchism where the line of succession is limited to bloodline, not merit, then I don't think it should be categorised as a dictatorship. If democracy makes people free then some poor person in South Asia who has to work harder without reaping the benefits of his work, should be freer than an average citizen in China where there is no communism but has better infrastructure and standards of living.

This whole thing about having a democracy makes people "free" is just hilarious. Democracy is a system where the legitimacy of power stems from the popularity of the leader and it's not universal, never will be. Actually, one man, one vote system is disastrous for a developing country because some rights have to be violated or some sacrifices have to be made for the collective benefit of the country. And if a system is open for everyone (as CCP), unlike monarchism where the line of succession is limited to bloodline, not merit, then I don't think it should be categorised as a dictatorship. If democracy makes people free then some poor person in South Asia who has to work harder without reaping the benefits of his work, should be freer than an average citizen in China where there is no communism but has better infrastructure and standards of living.

You might be right (as always we are on the same page on many issues) my brother, but then again, the topic is not about the merits of deomcracy VS communism/one party state. Its about Vietnam internal politics and its relations with two big countries : U.S/CHINA..:cheers:

You might be right (as always we are on the same page on many issues) my brother, but then again, the topic is not about the merits of deomcracy VS communism/one party state. Its about Vietnam internal politics and its relations with two big countries : U.S/CHINA..:cheers:
My mistake then... Apologies :D

Vietnamese Netizens Are Getting Bolder Online, Despite Tough Laws

Posted 21 April 2015

2fabb29b-4718-5c8a-e632-8857a10a11ce-banner.jpg

Image from Viet Tan

Despite serious restrictions on free expression in Vietnam, a growing number of citizens are actively using online networks to express their views on social and political issues.

Vietnam has a population of 93 million and an Internet user base of almost 40 million. There are more than 30 million active Facebook users, an impressive jump since 2012, when the number was only 8.5 million. Furthermore, the popular social networking site has been intermittently blocked in Vietnam in recent years.

A recent report by Viet Tan, a pro-democracy political party led by Vietnamese citizens in and outside of the country, elaborates on the issue. Although the government has passed multiple laws intended to control Internet use and content, “social media is playing the role of a de-facto independent media with far reaching socio-political implications,” the group says. They have also observed that “online platforms provide a public town square and virtual civil society,” especially since freedom of assembly is curtailed in the country.

Thanks to social media it has become possible and even trendsetting to publicly question the Communist Party’s legitimacy.

As Vietnam pushes towards greater connectivity with an online populace showing greater willingness to exercise their right to connect, censorship will be more difficult for the government to accomplish.

Viet Tan presented its study of Vietnam's social media landscape during the human rights and technology conference RightsCon in Manila last month.

Viet Tan noted that a search on YouTube for the words “cong an danh nguoi” (police brutality) yields 148,000 results. Many also have shared photos with the hashtag “I don't like the Communist Party of Vietnam” (Toi khong thich dang cong san Viet Nam). A new blog called “Portraits of Power” (Chan Dung Quyen Luc) has been exposing the dirty secrets of some high-ranking officials.

A recent campaign opposing the cutting down of 6,700 trees in Hanoi gathered popular support, forcing authorities to suspend the plan.

Huong Le Thu, a Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore, also noticed the growing defiance among some netizens. He wrote on New Mandala, an online journal focusing on Southeast Asia:

An indicator of change is that people are no longer afraid of self-identification when posting anti-regime banners, uploading their photos and revealing their online identities.

An Internet cafe in Vietnam. Flickr photo by Kent Goldman (CC License)

While it is true that Vietnam is blocking numerous websites, the report estimates that 60 percent of Internet users are using Virtual Private Networks or proxy servers to access restricted content. Viet Tan interprets this as proof that netizens are already “weary of the government’s controls.”

Some Vietnamese officials recognize the difficulty of policing the web. Even the prime minister commented last January that “it is impossible to ban or prevent people from posting information on the Internet.”

But that doesn’t mean Internet policies have been relaxed. On a daily basis, Vietnamese Internet users must navigate restrictive regulations for social media platforms and policies such as Decree 72, which attempts to prohibit news aggregation and sharing on social media. Another law commonly used to persecute online speakers is Article 258 of the Criminal Code, which punishes the misuse of “democratic freedoms to attack state interests and the legitimate rights and interests of collectives and individuals.”

The use of ‘opinion-shapers’ or government-sponsored trolls to undermine the work of activists prove that there are other ways of restricting free expression in the country. Viet Tan told Global Voices in an email interview that ‘opinion-shapers’ are still active today:

The use of opinion shapers continues to be a problem. Also, a lot of activists have had their Facebook accounts hacked into and passwords stolen. It’s probably impossible now for the government to block FB but they will certainly try to undermine its effectiveness and desirability.

Vietnam also continues to harass and arrestprominent bloggers, tactics that “intimidate the larger online community against discussing politically sensitive content.” Viet Tan pointed out that this remains “the greatest challenge facing the Vietnamese online community.” There are 16 journalists and bloggers in Vietnam who are still in detention.

Viet Tan said that aside from campaigning for the release of dissident writers, the international community can “speak out against Western companies that supply filtering technologies to the Vietnamese state and urge Western technology companies not to collude with the censors.”

Whether the Communist Party likes it or not, Vietnam’s media landscape is changing. Hopefully, critical voices will be allowed to flourish in both offline and online spaces.
Vietnamese Netizens Are Getting Bolder Online, Despite Tough Laws · Global Voices

#EndisNearforVNregime from Twitter & Instagram

I'm shock at the lack of critical thinking skills in this thread. Sometime I'm not sure whether people are just trolling or they actually seriously lack intelligence.

For the Indonesians and Thai members who are trying to egg on Viet Nam for getting closer to the US, you do realize that the US has a much much closer relationship with Indonesia and Thailand?? lol. Although I will admit that US-Thai relationship is getting cold. But for the Indonesian members, don't you see the irony?

As for the comments about the Vietnamese people allowing/welcoming the US to start a color revolution and topple the VCP, you do realize that it is the VCP who are welcoming the US? Anywhere from the most powerful figure (PM), to the VCP figurehead (Secretary General) have or will be visiting the US. So how could you spin it as some third party people inviting the US to topple the VCP when it is actually the VCP who are welcoming the US? lol. Where's your critical thinking skills' at?

For the Chinese members in this thread who are making fun of Viet Nam for warming up to the US. You are also lacking critical thinking skills because you don't realize you are a kettle calling the pot black. Only one picture is needed to explain this:

If you guys troll, at least use some critical thinking skills first.

Trolling or not, I just laugh to read that some of Vietnamese members here want to change their own government with the help of foreign power. Even Indonesia has a good relation with US, we won't ask their help to change our government system. Because what? We value our independent and freedom more than anyone else. Indonesia for Indonesia. So don't don't intervene our internal problem! That's our motto. That's different to the supposedly Vietnamese patriots in here. So what are they? Patriot? Troller? or Traitor? Lol

Trolling or not, I just laugh to read that some of Vietnamese members here want to change their own government with the help of foreign power. Even Indonesia has a good relation with US, we won't ask their help to change our government system. Because what? We value our independent and freedom more than anyone else. Indonesia for Indonesia. So don't don't intervene our internal problem! That's our motto. That's different to the supposedly Vietnamese patriots in here. So what are they? Patriot? Troller? or Traitor? Lol

well inviting foreign party to made a change in your own country, seem hilarious to me. They thing they will got some gifts if it will be succeed ..... even Philippine, US lackeys is not too fond about US to meddle on their own politics and resulting in some dictatorial government, and there came people power.

There are many guys in the south VN that consider themselves invaded and slaved by northern VN..
So that is why they want foreign power to free them from North VN

Syrian style civil war coming ?

That's obviously the major concern because the US finds the VCP too much cozy-ing with China. On the other, if a "democratic" government is brought into power through revolution (the gov't can be as democratic as the one settled in Raqqa, Syria or Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, no worries), the US can more easily pull the strings and achieve what it has failed some four decades back.

Back
Top Bottom