What's new

Rape of Muslim women in Kashmir by Indian Army

What Indian army is doing in Kashmir they arrest male children separate the males from women and make them Kashmiri Muslims women to beg for the life of their children to boost their moral.
17-5-04-kashmiri-women-protest.jpg

I m saddened after seeing this woman...This shouldn't have happened......Can't resist this...

I m saddened after seeing this woman...This shouldn't have happened......Can't resist this...
The low life barbarian forces do this to punish demoralize the innocent women and above all a sick mentality to boost moral.

South Asia Human Rights Journalist Association

Kunan Poshpora: A forgotten mass-rape case of 2 Kashmir villages, 25 years on: Justice still eluding victims of mass rape
Srinagar Feb 23, 2016 : Justice continues to elude the victims of Kunanposhpora
Kunan%20reproted.jpg
Kupwara mass rape incident even after the passage of twenty-five years.Indian troops of 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army’s 68 Brigade had had raped over 40 women during a siege and search operation in Kunanposhpora area of Kupwara district on the intervening night of February 22 and 23 in 1991. In December 2012, when the India was rocked by the brutal gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedic in Delhi, a young Kashmiri social activist, Samreena Mushtaq, called up her friend Essar Batool and asked anxiously, “Do you remember Kunan Poshpora?”
On the night of February 23, 1991, personnel of the 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army cordoned off the two villages Kunan and Poshpora in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during operation and gangraped near about 4-23 women – with some estimates placing it at around 40.
Four years after Mushtaq had asked the question, it transpired into a book on the infamous ‘mass gangrapes’, co-authored by five Kashmiri women activists, all in their mid-twenties – Mushtaq, Batool, Ifrah Butt, Munaza Rashid and Natasha Rather.
The new book “Do you remember Kunan Poshpora?” – published by Delhi-based Zubaan Publishers as a part of its eight-volume series on “Sexual Violence and Impunity in South Asia” – was officially released at the Jaipur Literature Festival last month. What exactly happened that night in Kunan Poshpora remains shrouded in a narrative of conflicting inquiry findings and the case is now being heard at the Supreme Court.Nonetheless, it remains a most unfortunate chapter in the Valley’s history, because this is one of the worst example of mass sexual violence .The 228-page new book documents the case details and discusses how “rape has been used as a weapon of war and terror in Kashmir”.
“We were inspired by the outrage following the Nirbhaya incident. We thought that we must not forget
Kunanporapora%20photos%20of%20victims.jpg
the rapes of Kashmiri women in the ongoing conflict,” said Batool. The book actually stems from the five women’s instrumental effort in re-opening the Kunan Poshpora case. In March 2013, motivated by them, 50 Kashmiri women from different walks of life had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) petition demanding the re-opening of the case.Although petition was rejected by the high court after three hearings, it re-started the legal battle with a series of fresh appeals that followed.
The aim behind filing the PIL was“questioning impunity and making the Indian Army answerable, writes Mushtaq in the book. ”.
Rashid, a lawyer associated with the JKCCS who was instrumental in drafting the PIL, said, “There are many young Kashmiris who are completely ignorant about horrific incidents like Kunan Poshpora. I hope this book keeps it alive in our conversations. We shall not forget.”
The book is divided into seven chapters titled: Kunan Poshpora and Women in Kashmir, Sexual Violence and Impunity in Kashmir, That Night in Kunan Poshpora, Life in Kunan Poshpora Today, Inquires and Impunity, People Who Remember and The Recent Struggle: An Insider’s View.
The book contains records of police investigation, victims’ medical records, and civil society’s perspectives on the case.
The survivors’ accounts presented in the book recreate the gory episode with chilling details. For instance, a survivor tells the authors, “Three army men caught hold of me and 8-10 army men raped me in turns. They had huge battery torches with them and they used them to see my naked body, while making lewd remarks.”
The book also documents how women and children from the two villages are still ostracised and taunted as “people of the raped villages”.
“Kunan Poshpora women continue to suffer tremendous shaming. This reflects how patriarchal Kashmiri society is,” said Rather.
Wajahat Habibullah, the then divisional commissioner of Kashmir, who had conducted an inquiry into and raised doubts about the accusations, said in 2013 that the government had deleted important portions of his confidential report on the case in which he had recommended a high-level police probe.
.A team of the Press Council of India, led by journalist B G Verghese, which had been asked to investigate the incident, had said in its report that no such thing had happened. The report evoked strong criticism from local and international human rights organisations. The villages are still fighting for justice in different courts of the territory.
Five authors, Samreen Mushtaq, Ifrah Butt, Essar Batool, Natasha Rather and Munaza Rashid in a new book ‘Do You Remember Kunanposhpara’ have highlighted the reopening of the case and documents as well as the legal struggle of the survivors.
In 2013, a group of 50 women, consisting of teachers, students, journalists, human rights workers, lawyers and other professionals filed a public interest litigation (PIL) before the High Court of the territory, seeking to reopen the Kunanposhpora case.
“The aim behind filing the PIL was to make the Indian Army answerable and to disclose their real identity in Kashmir. The book came later as part of the battle that the survivors of Kunanposhpora are fighting,” co-author, Essar Batool, said in an interview.
Although the High Court rejected the petition after three hearings, the legal battle was restated with a series of fresh petitions.
Batool said that the cover-ups, distortions in the case by the authorities and the humiliation of the survivors were enough reasons to bring this case into the public domain to show how the Indian forces enjoyed complete freedom and were allowed to roam around freely. It is this freedom that we are challenging, she added.
The book was officially released at the Jaipur Literature Festival, last month. It focuses on the torture of the Kunanposhpora women.
Batool said that they had taken up the Kunanposhpora case because it was one of the biggest incidents in the history of sexual violence in probably the whole of South Asia. She said that though they had to travel long distances to Kunanposhpora and the Kupwara court, the hardest part was to include everything and not leave even an ounce of evidence out. “This is the documentation of the bravery of the women and men of Kunanposhpora,” she added.
Co-author Samreen Mushtaq said that it had been a struggle to document all of that “to change the stereotype of their being victims to telling the world that they are fighters”.
The writers argue that the book is not fiction, but based on truth and was written irrespective of people’s opinion. “Honestly we did not write the book for acceptance. Truth is spoken not keeping in mind whether or not people will accept it. Truth should be said especially when the other side has been propagating lies for years together. And when you are speaking the truth, confidence comes naturally,” Samreen Mushtaq said.
“As women, we know how the threat of rape feels, but it is a patriarchal notion that women should not talk about rape since we have attached honour to women. It is this patriarchal notion that has been taken advantage of by the armed forces to use rape as a tool of punishment and reprisal,” Batool said.
Syed Mohammad Yasin who was the first government official to visit Kunan after the mass rape in 1991 and his report resulted in his immediate transfer. He while talking ot media men said he was posted as Kupwara Deputy Commissioner in 1990. In 1991, Kunan-Poshpora happened and soon after the incident I was transferred to Auqaf in Jammu. I felt government was not pleased with me to have reported the facts. The Bar association here did file a stay order against my transfer. However, being a government employee I preferred to oblige the orders. If I had not accepted the transfer orders that would have affected the Kupwara district, like the development and other works, which I didn’t like. Administrations don’t work like that. He was the first government official to visit Kunan-Poshpora said It had snowed heavily in whole valley that day, all roads were blocked. I was living at my official residence in Kupwara and we used to walk up to our offices. That day I remember I was sitting in my office and a Chowkidar/ guard of Kunan village came to my office and informed me about the incident, which had took place some days back. Some other government officials including SHO Trehgam, which is a nearby police station, accompanied me to the villages. When we entered the village, I was astonished to see the condition of people and that of the village. People were in a state of shock and mourning. The people there showed me the homes where soldiers of 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Army’s 68 Brigade had raped. They had come in village around 11 pm of February 23 and cordoned off the village. While the men folk of the villages were kept restricted to two different spots, the women were repeatedly gang raped by the Indian Army personnel inside their houses. My finding was that there had been no consideration of victim’s age while the Indian Army personnal gang raped.
Statements were recorded. Torn and blood stained clothes were put forth. The villagers said d that the indian Amry men were drunk. Liquor bottles were found in the village. I got them collected and handed them over to SHO. Only after I was convinced that the heinous crime had indeed taken place, I filed my report. I sent it to the then divisional commissioner and a copy of my report to then DIG Kashmir, special DIG in Kupwara and SP Kupwara as well. After that I was never questioned or approached, not even once!
I recorded the statements of around 24 ladies, but there were many more who did not come forward given the fact that many of them were unmarried. At least Indian100 army men were there in Kunan on that night so one can very well imagine the magnitude of the crime.
SMY: Army officers came and said I have reported wrongfully and the allegations were baseless. Soon Press Council of India sent BG Verghese along with other two officials to probe the incident. He came to meet me for not more than 10 minutes and he had by then already made up his mind. He was staying with Indian army there and was enjoying their boarding and transport so how can he have done justice with the victims? Interestingly the then probationary officer, DSP Dilbagh Singh, soon got promoted as SP, most probably because he reported what state wanted him to. The then SHO Trehgam transferred as well for the same reasons I was.
On receiving threats he siad threats are of two types implied and expressed. Implied: I was transferred and everybody was against me except the then divisional commissioner, Wajahat Habibullah. He agreed with me and he sent his report, accordingly to the then chief secretary. But recently I came to know that Wajahat Habibullah has written in his book that some paragraphs were lifted from his report. My successor was given extension, may be because he remained passive and did what state ordered him to.
If the government is really bothered they can start a probe now. In Kashmir everybody knows what happens. Pathribal fake encounter is an example. The Indian Army got away with it despite the CBI findings being against them.
The local authorities are not so powerful in Kashmir. It’s the Indian Army that rules. Democracy is nothing but a farce in Kashmi. Indian Army and authorities in connivance with the then Governor were responsible for distorting reality. Kashmir is a victim and nobody is doing anything. It was proved recently when a girl was raped in Delhi and how whole India was against the crime but what about Kashmir where a whole village was raped.

The low life barbarian forces do this to punish demoralize the innocent women and above all a sick mentality to boost moral.

Kunan Poshpora: A forgotten mass-rape case of 2 Kashmir villages, 25 years on: Justice still eluding victims of mass rape
Kunan%20reproted.jpg
Kupwara mass rape incident even after the passage of twenty-five years.Indian troops of 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army’s 68 Brigade had had raped over 40 women during a siege and search operation in Kunanposhpora area of Kupwara district on the intervening night of February 22 and 23 in 1991. In December 2012, when the India was rocked by the brutal gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedic in Delhi, a young Kashmiri social activist, Samreena Mushtaq, called up her friend Essar Batool and asked anxiously, “Do you remember Kunan Poshpora?”
On the night of February 23, 1991, personnel of the 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army cordoned off the two villages Kunan and Poshpora in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during operation and gangraped near about 4-23 women – with some estimates placing it at around 40.
Four years after Mushtaq had asked the question, it transpired into a book on the infamous ‘mass gangrapes’, co-authored by five Kashmiri women activists, all in their mid-twenties – Mushtaq, Batool, Ifrah Butt, Munaza Rashid and Natasha Rather.
The new book “Do you remember Kunan Poshpora?” – published by Delhi-based Zubaan Publishers as a part of its eight-volume series on “Sexual Violence and Impunity in South Asia” – was officially released at the Jaipur Literature Festival last month. What exactly happened that night in Kunan Poshpora remains shrouded in a narrative of conflicting inquiry findings and the case is now being heard at the Supreme Court.Nonetheless, it remains a most unfortunate chapter in the Valley’s history, because this is one of the worst example of mass sexual violence .The 228-page new book documents the case details and discusses how “rape has been used as a weapon of war and terror in Kashmir”.
“We were inspired by the outrage following the Nirbhaya incident. We thought that we must not forget

the rapes of Kashmiri women in the ongoing conflict,” said Batool. The book actually stems from the five women’s instrumental effort in re-opening the Kunan Poshpora case. In March 2013, motivated by them, 50 Kashmiri women from different walks of life had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) petition demanding the re-opening of the case.Although petition was rejected by the high court after three hearings, it re-started the legal battle with a series of fresh appeals that followed.
The aim behind filing the PIL was“questioning impunity and making the Indian Army answerable, writes Mushtaq in the book. ”.
Rashid, a lawyer associated with the JKCCS who was instrumental in drafting the PIL, said, “There are many young Kashmiris who are completely ignorant about horrific incidents like Kunan Poshpora. I hope this book keeps it alive in our conversations. We shall not forget.”
The book is divided into seven chapters titled: Kunan Poshpora and Women in Kashmir, Sexual Violence and Impunity in Kashmir, That Night in Kunan Poshpora, Life in Kunan Poshpora Today, Inquires and Impunity, People Who Remember and The Recent Struggle: An Insider’s View.
The book contains records of police investigation, victims’ medical records, and civil society’s perspectives on the case.
The survivors’ accounts presented in the book recreate the gory episode with chilling details. For instance, a survivor tells the authors, “Three army men caught hold of me and 8-10 army men raped me in turns. They had huge battery torches with them and they used them to see my naked body, while making lewd remarks.”
The book also documents how women and children from the two villages are still ostracised and taunted as “people of the raped villages”.
“Kunan Poshpora women continue to suffer tremendous shaming. This reflects how patriarchal Kashmiri society is,” said Rather.
Wajahat Habibullah, the then divisional commissioner of Kashmir, who had conducted an inquiry into and raised doubts about the accusations, said in 2013 that the government had deleted important portions of his confidential report on the case in which he had recommended a high-level police probe.
.A team of the Press Council of India, led by journalist B G Verghese, which had been asked to investigate the incident, had said in its report that no such thing had happened. The report evoked strong criticism from local and international human rights organisations. The villages are still fighting for justice in different courts of the territory.
Five authors, Samreen Mushtaq, Ifrah Butt, Essar Batool, Natasha Rather and Munaza Rashid in a new book ‘Do You Remember Kunanposhpara’ have highlighted the reopening of the case and documents as well as the legal struggle of the survivors.
In 2013, a group of 50 women, consisting of teachers, students, journalists, human rights workers, lawyers and other professionals filed a public interest litigation (PIL) before the High Court of the territory, seeking to reopen the Kunanposhpora case.
“The aim behind filing the PIL was to make the Indian Army answerable and to disclose their real identity in Kashmir. The book came later as part of the battle that the survivors of Kunanposhpora are fighting,” co-author, Essar Batool, said in an interview.
Although the High Court rejected the petition after three hearings, the legal battle was restated with a series of fresh petitions.
Batool said that the cover-ups, distortions in the case by the authorities and the humiliation of the survivors were enough reasons to bring this case into the public domain to show how the Indian forces enjoyed complete freedom and were allowed to roam around freely. It is this freedom that we are challenging, she added.
The book was officially released at the Jaipur Literature Festival, last month. It focuses on the torture of the Kunanposhpora women.
Batool said that they had taken up the Kunanposhpora case because it was one of the biggest incidents in the history of sexual violence in probably the whole of South Asia. She said that though they had to travel long distances to Kunanposhpora and the Kupwara court, the hardest part was to include everything and not leave even an ounce of evidence out. “This is the documentation of the bravery of the women and men of Kunanposhpora,” she added.
Co-author Samreen Mushtaq said that it had been a struggle to document all of that “to change the stereotype of their being victims to telling the world that they are fighters”.
The writers argue that the book is not fiction, but based on truth and was written irrespective of people’s opinion. “Honestly we did not write the book for acceptance. Truth is spoken not keeping in mind whether or not people will accept it. Truth should be said especially when the other side has been propagating lies for years together. And when you are speaking the truth, confidence comes naturally,” Samreen Mushtaq said.
“As women, we know how the threat of rape feels, but it is a patriarchal notion that women should not talk about rape since we have attached honour to women. It is this patriarchal notion that has been taken advantage of by the armed forces to use rape as a tool of punishment and reprisal,” Batool said.
Syed Mohammad Yasin who was the first government official to visit Kunan after the mass rape in 1991 and his report resulted in his immediate transfer. He while talking ot media men said he was posted as Kupwara Deputy Commissioner in 1990. In 1991, Kunan-Poshpora happened and soon after the incident I was transferred to Auqaf in Jammu. I felt government was not pleased with me to have reported the facts. The Bar association here did file a stay order against my transfer. However, being a government employee I preferred to oblige the orders. If I had not accepted the transfer orders that would have affected the Kupwara district, like the development and other works, which I didn’t like. Administrations don’t work like that. He was the first government official to visit Kunan-Poshpora said It had snowed heavily in whole valley that day, all roads were blocked. I was living at my official residence in Kupwara and we used to walk up to our offices. That day I remember I was sitting in my office and a Chowkidar/ guard of Kunan village came to my office and informed me about the incident, which had took place some days back. Some other government officials including SHO Trehgam, which is a nearby police station, accompanied me to the villages. When we entered the village, I was astonished to see the condition of people and that of the village. People were in a state of shock and mourning. The people there showed me the homes where soldiers of 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Army’s 68 Brigade had raped. They had come in village around 11 pm of February 23 and cordoned off the village. While the men folk of the villages were kept restricted to two different spots, the women were repeatedly gang raped by the Indian Army personnel inside their houses. My finding was that there had been no consideration of victim’s age while the Indian Army personnal gang raped.
Statements were recorded. Torn and blood stained clothes were put forth. The villagers said d that the indian Amry men were drunk. Liquor bottles were found in the village. I got them collected and handed them over to SHO. Only after I was convinced that the heinous crime had indeed taken place, I filed my report. I sent it to the then divisional commissioner and a copy of my report to then DIG Kashmir, special DIG in Kupwara and SP Kupwara as well. After that I was never questioned or approached, not even once!
I recorded the statements of around 24 ladies, but there were many more who did not come forward given the fact that many of them were unmarried. At least Indian100 army men were there in Kunan on that night so one can very well imagine the magnitude of the crime.
SMY: Army officers came and said I have reported wrongfully and the allegations were baseless. Soon Press Council of India sent BG Verghese along with other two officials to probe the incident. He came to meet me for not more than 10 minutes and he had by then already made up his mind. He was staying with Indian army there and was enjoying their boarding and transport so how can he have done justice with the victims? Interestingly the then probationary officer, DSP Dilbagh Singh, soon got promoted as SP, most probably because he reported what state wanted him to. The then SHO Trehgam transferred as well for the same reasons I was.
On receiving threats he siad threats are of two types implied and expressed. Implied: I was transferred and everybody was against me except the then divisional commissioner, Wajahat Habibullah. He agreed with me and he sent his report, accordingly to the then chief secretary. But recently I came to know that Wajahat Habibullah has written in his book that some paragraphs were lifted from his report. My successor was given extension, may be because he remained passive and did what state ordered him to.
If the government is really bothered they can start a probe now. In Kashmir everybody knows what happens. Pathribal fake encounter is an example. The Indian Army got away with it despite the CBI findings being against them.
The local authorities are not so powerful in Kashmir. It’s the Indian Army that rules. Democracy is nothing but a farce in Kashmi. Indian Army and authorities in connivance with the then Governor were responsible for distorting reality. Kashmir is a victim and nobody is doing anything. It was proved recently when a girl was raped in Delhi and how whole India was against the crime but what about Kashmir where a whole village was raped.

couldn't say I am surprised, all the rape news from domestic India regularly. imagine what they would to do in occupied land.

couldn't say I am surprised, all the rape news from domestic India regularly. imagine what they would to do in occupied land.
They even not sparing their own women We just can imagine the situation under occupied territory, they are doing same in Assam and other states where they demand political rights or independence from hostile regime. Over 15 different separatist movements currently running against Indian regime and China Pakistan must support them.

This propaganda will not work, India will break every scheme..

Pakistan declared that it will fight India for 1000 years... but only 70 years have passed.. 930 more years are left...

Life is boring without challenge... God created Pakistan so that India can improve militarily... God Created Chinese to show what is possible with hardwork and dedication...

Finally a PM gave a reply,

Will not forget Uri, ready to fight 1,000-year war: Modi
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...fight-1-000-year-war-modi-116092400566_1.html

Sushma Swaraj: Pakistan’s dream of Kashmir will not be realised till end of eternity

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...d-till-end-of-eternity-sushma-sushma-2932331/
What it worth when a mass murdered succeeded to become a P.M.

@hellfire

When people quote the essays of teenagers trying to make a mark as authentic scholarly reviews, we have a problem.
So Hindian soldiers are behaving like chivalrous gentlemen:disagree:, the diclofenac must have really gotten to you, I recommend you pay a visit to your doctor for some alternative treatment. No kudos for you.

Wow what a logic :)

Kunan%20reproted.jpg
On the night of February 23, 1991, personnel of the 4 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army cordoned off the two villages Kunan and Poshpora in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during operation and gangraped
near about 4-23 women – with some estimates placing it at around 40.

The Medicines Sans Frontiers (MSF) survey found that one in seven Kashmiris had witnessed rape.

https://ru.msf.org/sites/russia/files/migrated/KASHMIR_FINAL_VERSION,_221106.pdf
Organisations like Amnesty and MSF have an inherent bias against India, well that is what certain bloggers like @Joe Shearer would like us all to believe, I suppose these folks would consider Major Gaurav Arya as the perfect officer and gentleman, a man who states that the Hindian army is far too passive in Kashmir, that instead of pellets they should use live rounds, he has the audacity to ask Kashmiris who oppose Indian army presence in IOK to move to Islamabad, I say the ugly little gremlin should stick to his own Tamil Nadu or whichever southern state the gremlin has emerged from.

What it worth when a mass murdered succeeded to become a P.M.

In Godhra riots 750 muslims were killed, he ordered police to shoot and kill 250 hindu rioters. Then riots came to an end...
For this act Saudi King gave him highest civilian award... Supreme court of India declared him innocent..

modi2.jpg

Don't malign people without proof... :nono:

For this act Saudi King gave him highest civilian award
They award this to any new visiting P.M but before premiership Modi was banned in US, UK and most of the Europe.

Don't malign people without proof... :nono:
Tehalka tapes are still available on youtube Just have look my little RSS worker in khaki chaddi.

They even not sparing their own women We just can imagine the situation under occupied territory, they are doing same in Assam and other states where they demand political rights or independence from hostile regime. Over 15 different separatist movements currently running against Indian regime and China Pakistan must support them.
Absolutely, it is a moral imperative.

They award this to any new visiting P.M but before premiership Modi was banned in US, UK and most of the Europe.

Tehalka tapes are still available on youtube Just have look my little RSS worker in khaki chaddi.

they banned him to avoid controversy lol ... US, UK and Europe accused Iraq of nuclear weapons and invaded IRAQ.. India refused to send army to Iraq... under pressure, even kuwait send army to Iraq...

How India Nearly Gave in to US Pressure to Enter the Iraqi Killing Zone

http://thewire.in/50028/india-nearly-gave-us-pressure-join-iraq-war/

Are you saying Supreme court of India did not analyze those tapes ?? Supreme court analyzed those tapes and declared them fake... read court verdict and see if you can dispute the judgement... until then please don't believe things without proof and a little bit research

Back
Top Bottom